IMDb > Beerfest (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Beerfest

Beerfest More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

I just don't understand...

Author: Pigman44 from United States
26 August 2006

Let me start by saying that I loved Super Troopers. Club Dread on the other hand was not one of my favorites. So i was hoping that this would be better than Club Dread but I did not think it could even compare to Super Troopers. But was i wrong. This movie was absolutely hilarious.

I just don't understand why people are giving it terrible reviews. It was the funniest movie I have seen in theatres in a long time(as well as Clerks II). I understand the lack of plot but who says lets go see Beerfest, it will probably be a great epic? I went to see people drink beer, get wasted and do stupid things and thats exactly what I got.

I laughed from the beginning to the end of the movie, there was not a dull moment in the whole thing. And when the American team was competing against the other countries, I was cheering as if i was watching a real professional sport.

So, if you are looking for a good laugh and an all around good time go see Beerfest you will not be disappointed.

This one goes down smooth

Author: Ray from United States
26 August 2006

Many critics are heavily scolding this movie as a stupid, drunken frat-boy romp filled to the brim with crude humor and bad taste. I'd tend to agree with them, aside from this one addition -- it's absolutely hilarious.

From the truly side-splitting opening scene with Grand-papa to the final confrontation before the credits roll, you'll be entertained. The acting and gags are right on the mark for the admittedly low-brow appeal that this movie is shooting for. In that regard, it's no surprise that BeerFest won't get any Oscar nods. But to those of us who appreciate the suds and debauchery of five cartoonish characters embroiled in "a super secret international beer drinking contest to take on the Germans for national pride", this is an instant classic.

To be fair, BeerFest utilizes a much feebler narrative than some of it's gross-out contemporaries, such as Van Wilder, but definitely has a much stronger vision than something like Harold & Kumar go to White Castle. Within this genre, the latter is a fine movie as well -- BeerFest simply stays on track a little better, instead of being a slapdash montage of funny scenes. That said, BeerFest really triumphs by giving us characters so lampoon, you are able to sit back and enjoy two hours of gaseous gaffs without too much mental investment. And that's a good thing every now and then, right? If not, I feel very sad for your sedate, austere funny-bone.

For the rest of us, a toast. Raise your mugs for BeerFest, the drunken orgy of comedy that will keep you laughing!

Happiness is a cold proper temperature beer

Author: patm-mich (pm48195@comcast.net) from Southgate, MI
3 September 2006

First off, please give this film a chance. It starts a little corny, but I believe once it starts with them bringing the team together, it really picks up. All the little references they talk about while meeting each other is very funny.

While watching, you might think this is something Homer Simspon might have try to pull off, without the nudity, dirty words, and sex. Through a lot of the drinking comedy would have been the same. It pulls no punches and will offend, but the beauty of comedy, is not to give you enough time to think about that, just laugh.

This is a long movie, but there were a few points that made no sense, (in their world), and needed more scenes to flesh out. Sorry to say, while listening to many commentary tracks, this is a evil that will be in a every film.

These people all seem very real to me, and I believe I have met them before, which helps shed light on the world of beer drinking. I been to bars, where I have seen things like this, hell, I have been thrown out of a bar, from some bad antics. The worst thing, is that they wouldn't let me finish my drink.

So, to end, enjoy this film. Once you get pass the slap-stick comedy part, it picks up steam, and takes you for a nice little ride.

Downright Funny

Author: froglegcutlet from United States
27 August 2006

Beerfest has got to be the funniest movie of year. It's one of those classic movies you just watch with your buddies and laugh your asses off over and over because some of the scenes just catch you off guard. And trust me if you love drinking and can relate in one way or another to some of these drinking scenes, you'll laugh hella hard. Beerfest isn't trying to beat out other comedic movies rather it brilliantly just let's the humor ride on its own level without force feeding comedy to the audience; naturally funny, laugh so hard you cry typa movie, Beerfest is simply downright hilarious. I totally recommend everyone to go and watch this movie because it's different and it's guaranteed to make you laugh.

"If you attempt to drink this much... You Will Die"

Author: IamtheRegalTreatment from United States
25 August 2006

When the movie opened with warning labels like this, you know you're ready for a great movie. Beerfest was top notch of it's class. Drinking beer for sport is a classic money maker; I'm surprised this wasn't made sooner! We know that almost every partier will go out and spend money to see this movie, and they should. This movie is great for learning new games and getting wasted fast. This is a perfect example of a movie that is not for younger audiences.

Beerfest has all you need for a good movie: comedy, plot, creative thought process, Beer and women... lots of women. The typical frat party kind of movie where you watch it then go out with buddies and wake up the next morning forgetting that you even saw it. This show is worth watching because of it's great comedy. The creators of Super Troopers should be proud to have a good sister movie.

8/10.

fun, with quite a few laughs

Author: sackjigler
26 August 2006

Its not brilliant and it doesn't try to be. If you go into this movie knowing you are watching a movie called beerfest, you should have a good time. A lot of jokes flying fast and does not take itself seriously, which is a good thing sometimes. I mean, there was a lot of hyped movies this summer that really let down and took themselves too seriously, so sometimes its great to get a movie that knows it's dumb and revels in it. Lots of gratuitous nudity, cursing, and stupidity make this one a lot of fun. It may not have the great jokes like super troopers did, but it's just as funny. Perfect type of movie when you just need to let go for a couple hours. So, if you like broken lizard, watch this movie. If you don't, stop watching their movies and complaining that they're not funny. I give it a 7 just cause it took my mind off reality for a while and I laughed quite a bit.

One of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time

Author: bjgags from United States
26 August 2006

Beerfest was exactly what i was hoping for. After super troopers, Broken Lizard came out with a not that great movie Club Dread but now after seeing Beerfest i know they still have the comedy talent. Beerfest was the funniest movie i have seen since Old School or super troopers. It starts off kind of slow but when the brothers get a beer drinking team together and start the training, i don't think there has ever been anything funnier in a movie in the past few years. When it gets going, man non stop laughter. I was even crying because i was laughing so hard. Go and see it and trust me you will not regret those 9 dollars you spent at the theater!

Lovable silliness

Author: Superunknovvn from Austria, Vienna
17 February 2007

From the first few minutes on "Beerfest" heads straight into debauchery without making any excuses for it. However, this movie is closer to classic National Lampoon movies such as "Animal House" or "European Vacation" than to the vulgar sex-comedies that have been so popular ever since "American Pie". Make no mistake, "Beerfest" is full of nudity, dick jokes and all kinds of deliberate lowbrow humor. The difference to aforementioned sex-comedies is that "Beerfest"'s stupidity is much more self-aware and also aimed at an audience that understands this and can laugh about it from one step away. Or to make it sound less pretentious: this comedy has a lot of heart. When Germans are merely primitive giants in this movie it's clear that this is a comedic stereotype that must not be taken seriously by any means. The Germans and the depiction of German traditions is really the highlight of this movie.

Like Broken Lizard's previous theatrical adventure "State Troopers" this one is mindless, silly fun with a great cast, but all in all "Beerfest" is the better movie. Not a classic, but very enjoyable.

The Perfect Combination: Beer and Fun

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
19 November 2007

After the death of their grandfather Johann von Wolfhaus (Donald Sutherland), the brothers Jan (Paul Soter) and Todd Wolfhouse (Erik Stolhanske) travel to Munich to fulfill a family tradition, spreading the ashes of Johann during the Oktoberfest. Their contact brings them to a secret beer competition, the Beerfest", where they are offended by Baron Wolfgang von Wolfhausen (Juergen Prochnow) and the German branch of their family that accuse their grand grandmother of being a prostitute and their grandfather of stealing an old receipt of the best beer in Germany. Jan and Todd returns to USA humiliated and decide to organize a beer team to dispute the next Beerfest. They join Landfill (Kevin Heffernan), Barry (Jay Chandrasekhar) and Fink (Steve Lemme) and train long the year to participate in the competition. When they find the lost receipt hidden in a dummy, they feel that their German relatives told the truth. But the team is ready for the tough dispute.

"Beerfest" is one of those silly, scatological and politically incorrect mindless movies that are not accepted by professional critics, but entertains and makes laugh ordinary viewers like me. It is certainly necessary to shutdown the brain and stop thinking to enjoy the low-level and gross jokes, but what is better than watching this type of film to relieve the daily stress of work and personal problems? I confess that I love to watch every now and then this type of comedy which changes my mood for better with a perfect combination of beer and fun. The participation of Willie Nelson in the end is hilarious and a good hook for a "Potfest". My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Beerfest"

if you haven't seen it yet...watch it - you'll like it !

Author: jiffy6969 from wny
25 January 2007

when i saw the previews for this film (during clerks 2) i said this one's going to be good...now i loved "super troopers!" but "club dread" was such a bummer...i am glad to see broken lizard rebound! never had a movie made me so thirsty...and made me laugh so much during that thirst. the hardest part is trying not to run to the bathroom too many times... if you haven't seen it because of the "dread" let down...you will not be disappointed...watch it and enjoy...grant it - it is not better than super troopers, but it is right up there...the characters are full bodied and not watered down...many scenes are over the top, but hey...also enjoyable.

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]