IMDb > Thr3e (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Cliff Notes Version of the Book

Author: rockerrchick from United States
7 January 2007

There is no way this film can be confused with other thrillers. It's the movie version of the book Thr3e by Ted Dekker. The book is excellent and this film is an attempt to tell the complex story of the book simply. Being a movie, there is less time for the detail which made the book especially clever, but the film does tell the story reasonably well. If you have read the book you will want to see this movie. I really enjoyed seeing the story I'd read play out on screen. In fact the look of the cast was so close to the way I'd imagined that it took me back to my experience reading. If you haven't read the book or you aren't a big reader you may want to get the book on tape or see the movie twice. It's hard to get all the details in one viewing. I took my husband who hasn't read the book and he was a bit confused at first. The book is certainly a must read if you like thrillers and for me this film was a must see.

An excellent movie, despite the reviews

Author: Cleo Sombra from United States, PA
15 June 2008

The reviews will lead to believe that this is a bad movie. Maybe you will dislike it. But if you take their opinion alone, you are seriously missing out.

To sum it up quickly, the movie revolves around a guy who is being stalked by a killer. The killer leaves him vague riddles and short time limits to solve them.

The story is a lot more detailed than I can really explain, but it is not confusing to follow. I would like to point out now that this is not a horror movie. If you are looking for blood and gore and nothing else, then move on. But this is definitely a suspense "hold-your-breath" thriller. Because I accidentally read some spoilers before watching the movie, I already knew what was going to happen. But I still sat at the edge of my seat, wide-eyed and excited. This is a psychological thriller to the max.

Yes, this is a movie with Christian undertones, but for those of you who are turned off by that, don't be. Most of the religious blah blah dissipates in the first 10 or 15 minutes. Overall in the movie, I didn't think there was a lot of overdone religion in it - though just a hair less of it would have made the movie better.

As a horror fan and a thriller fan, I think you should really check this movie out. Don't expect gore and blood and you'll love it.

Despite the negative reviews on here, give the movie a chance. You'll thank me.

Not what I Expected

Author: dgale-3 from United States
6 January 2007

Honestsly, I felt as though this movie was a let down. After reading some reviews I was under the impression it was a seat gripping thriller, while after seeing television reviews I believed it was a horror story. In all I expected some jumping, possible shock induced gasping/screaming, not too much gore (if any), etc. Yet none of that fell into place. I realize there wasn't much room for character development because that could ruin certain aspects of the film, but neglecting plot? Completely uncalled for. More often than not I found myself trying to predict in order to fill in gaps. It was like a high school production of a "horror" film; I could have laughed in more places than been intrigued or anxious. It seemed dated, low budget and had many ridiculous scenarios that go along with classic predictablity. It was a let down, a definite non-must see, and nothing you'd miss out on. Save you're $10.25 for lunch tomorrow.

If you like Ted Dekker, You gotta see this movie!!!

Author: trinedy-1 from Bahamas
10 January 2007

It was very well done.(especially considering that it was done by FoxFaith) Ted Dekker's books are awesome, and this movie does a fine job of depicting that. Some of the acting is only so-so; Kevin has flashbacks to his childhood, the young actors need a little more practice. The soundtrack of a movie is very important in my opinion, and in some spots, the music feels rather lame and gives the scene a 'cheap' feeling. The storyline was magnifacent(of course). I didn't see any flaws in the computer graphics. The character looked just like I emagined them from reading the books. And all-in-all, THR3E is deffinatley a must-see movie!!!

Good, but not great...

Author: slumbersix from United States
5 January 2007

We had the chance to catch a sneak preview of this movie last night. My wife is a huge Ted Dekker fan so we decided to take up the invite. I tried not to have my hopes too high after seeing some other book to movie translation but they got raised when there was a preview for this movie on the television the night before.

With those raised expectations I can say I was a bit disappointed with the movie yet I enjoyed the movie thoroughly.

The story was based on the book Thr3e by Ted Dekker. A man, Kevin, is being tormented and hunted by someone who wants him to confess his sin. Kevin grew up in a very dysfunctional house, found a sweet girl to run away to, and eventually wound up in a seminary trying to further his education. The movie was filled with explosions, suspense, and a who-done-it mystery.

The main thing that was disappointing was the filming and special effects. Some parts were just really choppy and seemed to not flow together. Then the special effects while good were not great. One scene in particular sticks out in my was when the building blew up. You saw flames and then all of a sudden you seen a bunch of rubble "materialize" in the flames.

I'd recommend seeing the movie. Enjoy the story for what it is but not expect great filming. It was an enjoyable film for the wife and I but I can't say how you'll enjoy it.

No no no ...

Author: jo__fraser from Canada
6 January 2007

This movie was horrible. I went in expecting nothing and came out getting exactly that.

My brother and I went to see this movie on a whim and foolishly believed that it would be good based on other reviews and the synopsis. All in all, it sounded like a good time - how could they mess this up? Well, they succeeded. The first half hour is severely disappointing to the point of wanting to leave - the characters are underdeveloped, you barely understand what is going on because they are so unnecessarily emotional (based on the circumstances), and no time is given for the viewer to fully connect with the characters in order to evoke some sympathy for them. The next hour of the movie is simply the same thing over and over - dude gets a phone call, something blows up ... dude gets a phone call, something blows up. I believe there is more than one way to kill a person, don't you? I certainly hope so.

The ending is somewhat original (although, I have seen it done before) and the only "exciting" part (or at least the only part I sat waiting to see what would happen) occurred when the protagonist's childhood was uncovered. At least this made me understand why he was the way he was. And the only part that made me jump was a cheap thrill (something loud happens when you don't expect it). And that only happened once because you could predict what was going to happen the entire time anyway. Other than that, I sat there the whole time, waiting for it to be over, foolishly waiting for the fantastic ending that usually makes up for the otherwise really bad, cheaply made horror movie. I never got my ending and neither will you.

Trust me, do not waste your money on this movie. I got in for free and I was still looking for my money back.

Loved it

Author: brosarl from United States
5 January 2007

If you have read the book, you will not be disappointed, they did a great job and I thought it was very tastefully done! I will definitely go see it again! Marc Blucas did an excellent job and even though I knew what was going to happen, I was still caught up in the present and not even thinking about the ending! I can't wait for Ted Dekkers next book to movie . . .HOUSE! The movie was very accurate to the book and I find that almost rare anymore. Even though it was similar to some other movies previously mentioned, I think they did a great job at putting a new spin on things. It was long enough without being too long and kept your interest the entire time. I wouldn't stereotype this movie as a 'christian' film, but there was religious content and I think believers and unbelievers alike will appreciate this film for what it is . . .the struggle between good and evil!

Derivative, plodding thriller

Author: cpbadgeman from California, USA
18 February 2008

The basic premise of "Three" is unimaginative but potentially interesting: for reasons that are initially unclear, a theology student is targeted by a psychopath (the "Riddle Killer") who forces him to confront the dark corners of his past. As those close to him start to die, the only people who stand by our hero are his longtime female friend and a police psychologist whose brother was one of said murderer's victims.

This film drags the viewer through a series of pedestrian chases, shootouts, and assorted close calls for our heroic trio before reaching a fairly predictable climax. Other, better, films ("Saw", "Flatliners", "Never Talk to Strangers", "Fear", the list is truly endless) have covered this ground before and done so with far more originality, imagination, and style. The direction is by-the-numbers, and the cast are competent but lack charisma. It is no surprise that this dud vanished from theaters. It is puzzling that anyone thought it a good idea (tax write-off?) to make this film in the first place.

How did this movie get made? (and released by Fox Faith!?!?)

Author: maichen from San Diego, CA
28 April 2007

This movie is terrible!!!! No, I haven't read the book, but I'm pretty sure a bunch of fifth graders with camcorders could produce a better movie than this. This story is completely ridiculous, pointless and contrived. It's a extremely boring combination of Scream and Seven totally sanitized and robbed of any actual emotion or intelligence. There is a place for "Christian" films, but this stupid mess just gives them a bad name for idiotic plots, horrible acting and dumbed-down "good vs. evil" morality lessons. I swear some of the lines from this movie represent the worst screen writing to ever make in onto film. I've played video games with better writing. I kind of liked Marc Blucas after Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but, after this, I'm forced to question his very sanity for making this film. I can only hope he had some sort of contractual obligation...

Unbelievable and nothing new

Author: RIK-22 from Brussels, Belgium
24 April 2007

Crime thriller about a psychotic killer able to track down and attempt to manipulate an individual, due to an event in their past.

I'll start by giving away the "so called" twist that the killer is the victim and his girlfriend (hence the title) and rather like Fight Club it showed each personality as an individual. Now one of the problems with this scenario is that it's been done many times before and is now getting a bit repetitive.

The other problem with this movie is the believability, as is the problem with so many films. How is this guy able to make and conceal so many devices and explosives without the police and victim finding them? The police could, at any time, have just placed him under house arrest and then how would he have been attacked or had time to be the aggressor. Didn't anyone in the police check his story ? or interview his girlfriend.

Basically too far fetched to be accepted. There were also some mistakes, I mean how did the boy get a black eye, who's jacket and blood were in the basement, etc, etc Overall an average thriller with no new ground and little believability

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]