IMDb > Robin-B-Hood (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Bo bui gai wak

Robin-B-Hood More at IMDbPro »Bo bui gai wak (original title)

Star-studded enjoyable Jackie Chan movie with an excellent combination of action and comedy, and adorable baby!

Author: kappachino from Texas
3 November 2006

All I can say is, this is definitely a Jackie Chan movie and fans will definitely not be disappointed at all. Even with his advancing age and toning down of action scenes, Jackie still has it in him and never fails to entertain. For those fans wondering about action scenes, sure Jackie isn't what he used to be back in the heyday of 80's Hong Kong cinema, but his top notch action choreography is still inventive and fun to watch, and there are many fun set pieces. The comedy is also very well done and there are many endearing scenes with the real star of the show, baby Matthew Medvedev, who will melt any viewer's heart. Jackie and his co-stars' characters are very sympathetic and the acting for the most part is spot on. Benny Chan does an excellent job directing his stars and shows that he is not only able to direct a serious action crime drama like Chan's previous New Police Story but is also adept at the family action comedy as well. There are many cameos from well known HK stars, so be sure to watch out for them. Chan fans will appreciate a special extended cameo. Overall an enjoyable quality Chan family movie.

The original Jackie Chan is back!!!

Author: thebanquet from South Korea
8 October 2006

I first saw Jackie Chan in the Hollywood film'Rush Hour2'which was pretty interesting.But my uncle,who is a movie critic,told me that a true Jackie Chan fan must see the hit film 'Drunken Master'. Over the years I saw many Jackie Chan films,both Hollywood,Chinese,and even a Korean movie but none could compare itself to the legendary 'Drunken Master'series. To be honest, I was very disappointed by Jackie's recent Hollywood films,including 'The Medallion'and 'Around the World in 80days'.None of his Hollywood films could compete with 'Drunken Master'. 'Rob B Hood'opened in theaters in my native land Korea the same day as in Hong Kong. Because it was edited into 110minutes from the original 134minute version,there were many scenes that just non understandable,but on the whole,if you watch this film,Jackie Chan is back to his original Chinese roots. The jokes and action are like the ones in 'Drunken Master'. Of course,recently Jackie Chan made a statement that he wouldn't act any more action films, but I hope to see him in many more films like Rob B Hood. Cheers to the one man in Asia whom even Hollywood superstars look up to.

A Nutshell Review: Rob-B-Hood

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
27 September 2006

Jackie Chan is undoubtedly one of the few Asian stars whose name alone can open a movie, probably worldwide now. With his latest offering for the Chinese National Day holiday in Rob- B-Hood, he has again done back to basics, together with one of his collaborators of late Benny Chan (New Police Story, Who Am I), with his mantra of "no sex no violence", but just pure action.

In his recent movies, while staying true to his brand of action together with his band of merry men from the Jackie Chan Stunt Team, there is no denial of his attempt to infuse a little more drama into his role so as to showcase his acting chops. While his acting in slow moments might not appeal to fans of his action, it looks like dramatic moments are here to stay. However, if you'd notice there's a progression in his willingness to move away from one- man-army type of roles, to sharing the limelight with his fellow co-stars.

Here, his screen time is almost equally shared with co-lead Louis Koo, with the both of them playing unsavoury characters - thieves with vices, with Chan as Thongs, a hardcore gambler with family issues, and Koo as Octopus, a married womanizer and fast car lover. They turn to their current profession of thievery to sustain their lifestyle, and the brains behind the duo's brawn is Landlord, played by veteran Michael Hui, a man whose wife is devastated by the loss of their only child.

See the plenty of moments for some serious drama yet? It is perhaps these moments where an exploration into the character's background slowed down the pace of what could've been a rip-roaring ride from start to end. Clocking in at 135 minutes, the movie felt that it could've been shortened as certain scenes were just too trying. The action scenes too were few and far between, though each scene is still carefully choreographed and felt that it lasted longer than the usual.

The comedic element came in full swing with the introduction of the baby, which probably is the movie's trump card in luring the crowds (my friend and I didn't think he was that adorable actually). It's nothing new as the antics of soiled diapers, refusal to stop crying, and various moments of what baby would do, have already been touched upon in movies like 3 Men and a Baby, or even Raising Arizona. However, having one actor play daddy, and the other play mommy, does call for some genuine laughs sometimes.

Louis Koo has been playing the bad guy role to aplomb with his Election movies, and here, it's a nice change to see him tackle both comedy and action. I truly welcomed Michael Hui's return to the big screen, as one of my favourite comedies as a kid, was his Chicken and Duck Talk. Here though, there aren't many moments where he exhibited his classic bossy demeanour full of wit and sarcasm, probably hampered by the script.

The supporting casts consists of actors past and present in roles that either brought back some good memories, or are milked just for laughs. Yuen Biao was the other supporting role that compelled me to watch this movie, as he seemed to have faded from starring in movies for some time now. He doesn't have much to do here, save for some limited screen action. Actresses like Charlene Choi, Teresa Carpio and Gao Yuanyuan add balance to the testosterone on screen, but probably the best cameo appearance belongs to the duo of Nicholas Tse and Daniel Wu (totally different from what you see now in The Banquet)!

As always, stay at your seats while the end credits roll, for the usual out-takes included. My only gripe would still be to have this shown in Cantonese, somehow the dubbing of the out- takes sounded really too artificial.

One big job... One small problem!

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
2 April 2012

"Robin-B-Hood" is one of the better recent Jackie Chan movies I have seen. Why? Well, obviously because of the trademark Jackie Chan action sequences, but also because of the story in the movie.

Jackie Chan (playing Fong Ka Ho) and Louis Koo (playing Octopus) are two professional burglars that live extravagant lives that require a lot of spending money, and get hired for job that promises million of Hong Kong dollars, though Michael Hui (playing Landlord) fails to inform his burglar associates that the job is to kidnap a baby. Fong Ka Ho and Octopus get attached to the baby, and then things start to escalate to a wild thrill-ride.

Jackie Chan puts on a great performance in this movie, as expected, and he is doing all of his trademark action and stunts, lots of action and comedy here. And he is well accompanied by Louis Koo who also puts on a good performance. I am a huge fan of Asian cinema and used to live in Hong Kong so I am no strangers to the Hong Kong cinema, and I must say that Charlene Choi (playing Pak Yin), despite her small role, actually put on one of her best performances ever. It is nice to see that she is finally growing into a good actor and is over that sugar-coated silly comedy that she made when she was younger.

The story in the movie have several aspects and depths and all work out quite nicely coming together full circle at the end. "Robin-B-Hood", despite the somewhat stupid title, is a really great action and family movie. Very suitable for fans of Jackie Chan or people in for an evening with the family. And I must underline that "Robin-B-Hood" is a MUST for all Jackie Chan fans. Sure he is getting older, but the man is still performing amazing stunts and spreading his good humor.

I was thoroughly entertained from the start of the movie until the very end. And I purchased the 2-disc Ultimate Edition from Amazon, and will definitely be giving the extra materials on disc 2 a go later on today.

Overdid it

Author: whitemule17 from Sacramento
3 July 2007

*minor spoilers* Amusing and entertaining at times, 'Rob-B-Hood' was overlong. This was clearly a huge-budget movie extravaganza. It contained all kinds of elements: over-the-top action, complex & dangerous stunts, plots, subplots and more subplots, plenty of secondary characters who really have no point to the story at all, a Chinese all-star cast (Jackie Chan, Louis Koo, Yuen Biao, Michael Hui, Charlene Choi from the singing group "Twins", and more, including cameos), some goofy romantic aspects; all rolled into one, long movie and what do you get? A story about three kind-hearted thieves, two of whom have to baby-sit an infant they kidnapped, who have to battle Triads who also want that baby. The movie was way over two hours, and the uncut version contained at least 30 more minutes of footage.

The fight choreography was fairly good, but it went back to the usual "Jackie Chan defeats them all" formula. Yuen Biao surprisingly returns to team up with Chan. Overall it was a movie aimed for all audiences, even though it contained some really intense scenes. Like all big-budget movie extravaganzas, when there are too much of everything, the basic story lags. Not too bad, though. Recommended for everyone, I guess, especially for those who like Jackie Chan, but to those who do watch it, you're in for a long night.

Hilarious at times..still a good flick..

Author: sendoh15 from Australia
23 May 2007

Humour does vary but there's something about this movie thats just so funny. I rarely laugh hard at any movie even comedies and i still found myself breathless from laughter. I love Jackie Chan in his old ways of making movies away from Hollywood, its much more deep and funnier. There are only handful of impressive action scenes but the comedy and drama makes up for this. Yes drama and a fairly good one for a Jackie Chan film.

I've been a fan ever since in whatever he does and will always be. At the end of the day it all comes down to the entertainment value and this movie is surely entertaining. Its just pure fun, not taking it too seriously will also liven up the viewing of the film. Don't be critical, after all this hard work is to bring you entertainment, an hour of two away from all seriousness.

Watch it for entertainment not for criticizing. 10/10 simply because one of the jokes made me laugh so hard.

Never act with babies or Kung Fu Masters

Author: Shawn McKenna (srmckenna@hotmail.com) from Modesto, California
2 August 2010

I did not enjoy the previous effort of a Benny Chan directed Jackie Chan film in "New Police Story" that I was definitely worried about a "Three Men and a Baby" inspired effort. The result was mixed, but going in with low expectations I was pleasantly surprised. "Rob-B-Hood" (US release name is a bizarre name change to "Robin-B-Hood" though in this movie there is no stealing from the rich to give to the poor; neither title is very good) is the third film in the collaboration between Benny Chan and Jackie Chan and Benny's first attempt at a comedic action film. While this film was successful in Asia it was not theatrically released in North America and most of Europe.

Jackie Chan and Louis Koo Tin-Lok star as mediocre bad guys Thongs and Octopus. Jackie Chan tired of stereotypical nice guy roles wanted to play a criminal, though his character Thongs is a burglar and compulsive gambler, the "good guy" nature of his character comes through quite clearly and his performance does not veer far from most of Jackie's previous personae. This role is a good step in broadening his experience as an actor. Octopus is a married womanizer who works with Thongs. He married very young to Pak Yin (the terminally cute Charlene Choi) and is doing his best to woo wealthy young women while avoiding his wife. Thongs and Octopus both work under the guidance of the Landlord (Michael Hui) a conservative criminal who hoards his theft while the other two spend their "earnings".

The Landlord has had his loot stolen by another criminal (he suspects everyone after this) so he allows himself to get contracted to a nefarious case to kidnap a baby for seven million dollars and give the infant to the possible grandfather to test if the baby is his sons (the son is dead and currently frozen in a very expensive decorated freezer). Thongs and Octopus both need the money so they acquiesce and help the Landlord with the felony. Of course, Thongs and Octopus, through a partially botched kidnapping attempt, are forced to take care of the cute defecating infant until they can reestablish getting the kid to who hired them. And, of course, they get attached to the baby (I cannot believe the baby got nominated for Hong Kong Film Award's Best New Performer category).

Some of the negatives of this film include the ill-defined female characters (it seems they would have been better characterization in the original three-hour workprint, but that meant a whole lot more exposition); especially Gao Yuan-Yuan's Melody character who I had trouble figuring out what her relationship with Thongs was the first time I watched this. Some of the baby poop jokes were overdone as well as some of the infant's scenes in general (reportedly the child was an infant terrible on the set; delaying shooting and helping push the film over budget). There is only so much you can do with a babbling, spitting, crying child with flatulence. Yuen Biao's Inspector Steve Mok character is definitely underused (as well as Michael Hui), though at least he gets more than a cameo in this film. And then there is the horrible overuse of Pepsi advertising including one scene where Jackie slides down a pole revealing the largest Pepsi graffiti I have ever seen.

I did end up liking this film though. There is a certain congenial innocence with the lead characters that works well in this comedic action hybrid. In most Jackie Chan movies there are little stunts that sometimes seem as throwaways but are quite dangerous and are done with Keatonesque ease. In this movie Jackie slides down a staircase column and props himself up with ease at the end. If he fell on the wrong side he could have been seriously injured, but since it is so effortlessly it seems so simple. Jackie Chan has used more wires in his stunts and it definitely shows in this film, but I do not fault him for it, since his body cannot handle the punishment like it used to. The stunt where he jumps from air conditioner to air conditioner to the bottom of the street is impressive (even if a wire was used) and his and Louis Koo's stunts in the amusement park owned by the grandfather (location was Ocean Park) were quite good. In fact Jackie was said to be impressed of Koo who was willing to do many of his own stunts in the movie.

There could have been more fighting in this movie but there is a good scene in the apartment of Jackie between Jackie, Yuen Biao, Ken Lo and more. It is inspired by a similar scene in Project A (this is also mentioned in the Benny Chan commentary), but still pleasant. While there are many faults in this film and I think that many action purists will not like this film, I found much that was enjoyable from the comedy to the action and stunts. Now please Jackie no more movies with babies.

great jackie chan flick, funny,touching and action packed

Author: daworldismine from United Kingdom
26 May 2010

jackie chan has been disappointing as of late with movies like the tuxedo and them medallion, there enjoyable movies but action wise they are just not up there, they rely on wires and special effects, and even though there is a tiny bit of that here, for the most part this is classic jackie chan, the story is about three thieves who are in desperate need of some money, when they get and offer for £30 million to kidnapp a baby after some hesitation they do, and this leads to all kind of mayhem, if they haven't got people after them they are up in there necks in baby boo and nappies. the movie is very funny and kinda reminded me of the feeling of wheels on meals and my lucky stars kind of action/comedy, but the thing that surprised me most about robin-b-hood was that it was very touching and had a good heart, jackie and co start to genuinely love the kid and it's heartbreaking at the end. all that aside tho robin-b-hood delivers in the action department and there are some of the best stunts he's done since the accidental spy, and the fight scenes are brilliant too, not as good as new police story, robin-b-hood is a solid jackie chan movie that delivers everything you expect from the chan man, great stuff

hong kong's version of two and a half men...but with action

Author: bcheng93 from ny ny
6 April 2014

just saw the rating of 6.7 and thought it was a little bit high, but i would rate this a solid 6. this is one of Jackies better movies in a while and he tries to go back to his roots, like his movies from the 80's and early 90's.

i enjoyed his old movies cause they were silly and the action was fantastic and crazy and also full of cameos by famous actors and actresses from hong kong. this movie has all that except for the fisticuffs which are a little lacking in this movie and weak in my opinion compared to his prime.

the movie was a little bit sappy in my opinion also, but the baby was really really cute. the story involves Jackie who plays a lowlife gambler who is shunned by his family and his two partners. Louis Koo plays partner #1, who is a handsome womanizer who is actually married and partner #2 is none other then Michael Hui, the eldest of the Hui brothers. it has been a while since i saw him in a movie, and he plays the leader of the 3 man ring.

they somehow get roped into kidnapping a baby and the shenanigans and hi-jinx start from there. along the way there is mobsters, triad debt collectors and of course the police, including yuen baio who plays a police detective who has known Jackie's character for a long time.

for some reason the fighting doesn't appeal to me anymore, there were enough fight scenes but they are nothing compared to the old days. there were plenty of stunts in the movie and one incredible jaw-dropping stunt by Jackie about a 1/3 of the way thru the movie. you have to see how he gets away from the debt collectors while on top of a 10 story building and he really did the stunt himself. INCREDIBLE!

another reason to watch his movies back in the day was for the cameos and this one doesn't disappoint. check out Daniel Wu and Nicky tse as 2 homosexual and inept armor truck guards, it was hilarious. besides that one there were at least 5 other cameos by famous hong kong personalities.

all in all, a very high class production, you could tell a lot of money went into the making of this movie. not one of his greats but a very good watch, makes you long for the good old days though.

Pooper trooper...

Author: poe426 from USA
17 February 2012

Eschewing his sparkling-clean good guy image, Jackie Chan teams up with Louis Koo (THROW DOWN) in ROBIN B HOOD to kidnap a child. There are, of course, the requisite action scenes involving some bone-crushing full contact martial arts and at least one clearly death-defying stunt by Chan: he descends the outside of a towering apartment building by dropping from one air conditioner to the next, all the way to the ground. It's a breath-taking descent and is reason enough to see this one, but the real surprise are the characters. There's an elderly woman whose child was stillborn who walks around cuddling a lifesize baby doll. It's a genuinely sad thing to see. The kid, too, steals his share of scenes. And let's not forget the horrors of diaper-changing: you'll never see this kind of thing, done this way, in a Hollywood movie- I guarantee it.