IMDb > "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board
Page 9 of 14: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

My thoughts;

Author: UnderMySkinner from United States
5 December 2006

This is everything I'd expect from Araon and Tommy, plus a little extra spice thrown in. This weeks episode, from the FCC scare to the New Orleans tribute I was both cheering and tearing up. And Danny with Jordan, how sweat was that?

By far the best show on TV, don't get me wrong there are a few shows I can't live without and adore but they're nothing like this one. My hat goes off to NBC for giving it a shot despite it's ratings, and here's hoping they improve a hundred fold because TV sure could use more brains, banter and charm.

The thought, time and effort that goes into this show is first rate. Nothing's compromised and everything's gained by the viewer. They spare no expense and talk up to the viewer rather than down like so many other shows. It's something you'll never forget and won't regret.

Why this is , so far, excellent television

Author: tgoc from Canada
27 October 2006

Anyone who watched the early seasons of "The West Wing" will recognize in this series the talents of Aaron Sorkin, Mr Schlamme (may he forgive me if I have misspelled his name) and their associates.

For my money their work is the "touchstone" when it comes to television.

The writing is, of course, in a class of its own.

The casting-- and therefore the acting-- is brilliant: Mr Perry and Mr Whitfield, along with Mr Busfield ... well it is a pleasure simply to watch them practise their craft. The self-indulgent thought that Janel Moloney could be added to the cast with advantage cannot be resisted.

I particularly admired the recent episode featuring Eli Wallach. Too few television series-- and films for that matter-- have the guts to go out onto limbs:limbs like the audience's knowledge of history.

I very much hope that this programme will be given a chance to prosper and to take the kind of risks that "The West Wing" took. Often, television that challenges us does remarkably well, in the long run.

Some of the best writing on television!

Author: highdough from Canada
25 October 2006

The finger prints of Aaron Sorkin are easily seen on Studio 60. The quick-paced dialogue, the historical references and the smart, but flawed, characters are all here. You also see Sorkin's political and social viewpoints shine through the writing. This will, no doubt, annoy some viewers, but it promotes dialogue, which can only be good.

As for the characters, like on West Wing, everyone speaks quickly and intelligently, which, while not entirely realistic, makes for great viewing. There are some complaints that all the characters sound the same, but that's not entirely true. As the series progresses (hopefully it will continue), I'm sure we'll see each character come into their own as they did on West Wing. Amanda Peet was a little too chipper in the pilot, but has settled into the role in only a few episodes. Matthew Perry is probably the best thing on the show, and he gets to completely separate himself from his Friends character. Bradley Whitford, while good, hasn't really been given much to do so far.

The only real problem, if you can call it that, with the show is that it's not dumbed down for mass consumption. You have to pay attention and be somewhat well read to get a lot of the stuff that goes on. My fear is that most television viewers would rather watch Survivor. Hopefully not.

The freshest most entertaining and most talented show in many a season.

Author: Starburst88 from United States
23 October 2006

This show gets better with every episode. I watch it in fear that it will be canceled because it is TOO good. Usually the best shows get canceled. PLEASE, NBC, keep this one and let it have a few seasons. The cast is fantastic, the subtleties of the acting keep the character development progressing. Harriet is an absolute doll. Jordan needs to be a little stronger and show a little more depth as one would expect from a network executive. Her insecurity is perhaps a little overplayed. Matthew Perry is showing the tremendous dramatic talent that we always knew was there in Chandler, and still his comedic talent creeps in unexpectedly and is always a nice surprise. The popular culture history presented in the October 23 episode was clever and entertaining while being educational--a very difficult feat. Thanks for a tremendous fresh new show. Keep it coming!

Great so far

Author: mags07 from United States
30 September 2006

So far the show seems very well written and I hope it continues that way. I'm a huge fan of Aaron Sorkin and love his other work, especially early West Wing and Sports Night. Studio 60 shares some of the same characteristics, snappy dialogue and something being seen from behind the scenes. It is very sharply written and it's nice to see a very strong female character for once. To me, it always seemed that the female characters that Sorkin wrote weren't that strong, they just seemed to be. Jordan however seems to be truly strong and self-possessed. You can really understand how it is possible that she became president of a network (or whatever her job title is) so young. It's refreshing and I hope it continues.

Sorkin does it again

Author: michael-duke from New Zealand
26 September 2006

As a VERY loyal fan of TWW (All 7 seasons) and having seen the first two episodes now I am VERY impressed with this show.

The quality of acting and writing is plain to see and this is an instant add to my DVD collection as soon as the seasons are available.

The song that they came up with for the opening of their first show was perfect and if that sets the scene of the comedy for the rest of the series I will be very happy.

All of the cast are doing a good job IMHO, with Bradley and Matt playing awesome characters that have some real depth from the word go. Amanda Peet does a good job as the spunky president and the interaction between herself and Steven Weber will be good to watch in the future.

10/10 from me.

A great disappointment

Author: John Dillon from United Kingdom
20 September 2007

I was a great fan of the West Wing and as such thought I would enjoy Studio 60 just as much. At first glance the two shows are very similar, both being produced by Aaron Sorkin.

However Studio 60 is a great disappointment. The characters are egotistical and in many cases plain annoying. Harriet Hayes is a prime example, all she does is go on about how she is not in love with Matt Albie (played by Matthew Perry).

All in all a great disappointment. I hope they don't cancel the show, but rather cut most of the cast and get some new writers in. I feel Sorkin may have been a one hit wonder with West Wing.

Maybe the best show ever??

Author: K C from Canada
23 January 2007

We started watching because we like Matthew Perry and my mom and dad really like Bradley Whitford. The concept looked interesting. I have to say we were blown away.

The writing is clever and quick. There isn't a dull moment, and all of the cast has magnificent chemistry with each other. All the characters are different and have different relationships with each other. Specifically the Matt/Harriet-ish-ness and the now new Jordan/Danny-ness is quite interesting.

The little plots of each episode are fun and different (The whole Pahrump, Nevada thing? Come on! Hilarious! And did you know that's actually a real place!?) There are several different elements to this show that slide perfectly into place like a puzzle. Every single time I watch it, I laugh, often I cry (or get choked up for one reason or another), and when they show the credits, my family and I cry out with a "NO! IT CAN'T BE OVER YET!"

I am *shocked* that they keep saying the ratings are low, as it is possibly the best show I have watched in a long time. So if for whatever reason you have managed to not find time to watch it, sit down and make some time (it's on Sundays and/or Mondays). I guarantee it'll be well worth your while.

A Plea to Keep Studio 60 on the Air

Author: Sheena from United States
6 January 2007

To allow this show to die would be a sin.

Everything I like about this show has already been said so I'll make it brief. It is brilliant and more realistic than most things on TV - especially the "Reality" shows. I appreciate the writing, the acting, sense of truth in the actors, their conflicts and interactions with each other, the way the suits suddenly reveal their humanity (Asner scene), the satire etc etc etc.

I do feel that the sets are too dark and gloomy looking. Things may go wrong but it's not that bad! Sometimes I hate when they cut away when an actual comedy skit starts up, but the few snippets we see are worth watching (the takeoff on the Dateline "now the online child sex predator is in your kitchen and will get what's coming to him" only it's Santa Claus bringing gifts who's on the spot. Why compare it against other shows the principals were associated with - isn't that retarded? Please, Lords of the Network, don't take my Studio 60 away......

Get your friends watching this!

Author: parks-elizabeth from Philadelphia, PA
18 October 2006

I love this show! It's actually making me bored with many shows I used to like--Law and Order feels dull even in comparison to watching a Studio 60 episode a second time. It's smart, funny, well-acted, and indicates that Matthew Perry has a lot more range than Chandler allowed him to show. I'm horrified by a recent LA Times article saying this show is bringing down NBC ratings on Mondays--I don't want the show to die a premature death. Get all those West Wing fans back to the TV set--more quick, thought-provoking, marvelous dialog--just a new context! The cast is wonderful. May NBC listen to the arguments Jordan McDeer is making each episode. We need intelligent TV.

Page 9 of 14: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]