Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip (TV Series 2006–2007) Poster

Good damn, its brilliant.
Michael_Takes25 October 2015
Straight of the bat, I'm writing this whilst only halfway through the second episode. I was a huge Perry fan and really disliked Bradley Whitfield and Steven Weber, and only knew Amanda Peet because of her tits on The Whole Nine Yards. But god damn, this show is absolutely brilliant.

Perfect cast. Not one weak note. Peet and Whitfield are now favourite actors of mine, and actually don't hate Steven Weber. Perry and Paulson are terrific separate and perfection together.

Finally, the final song of the episode, BEST THING I'VE EVER SEEN ON A TV SHOW.
Brilliant!!
Jade McPherson15 April 2014
This show is great!! Cleverly written, interesting stories, complex and interesting characters - this show has it all!!

I have loved every show Aaron Sorkin has ever written and this is classic him.

When I started watching the first episode of Studio 60 I had no idea how amazing it would turn out to be. I ended up watching all the episodes in 5 days - yes, it's that addictive!! I just leaves you wanting more.

Matt Perry and Bradley Whitford are really good in this, funny and lovable in their own special ways.

I was so sad to find out it wouldn't be returning for a second series.

If you like this show then you will probably like the West Wing.
9/10 for the first 18 episodes
Zubacz17 November 2013
I really like Aaron Sorkin's work. West Wing, Newsroom, A Few Good Men are some of my favourite pieces of script. So are the first 18 episodes of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. The characters are incredibly well cast and developed, the writing is witty, funny and thought inspiring, with Sorkin's typical social commentary. I was overjoyed I had found this show and recommended it to many people after only a few episodes. However, the last four episodes, took a completely different turn. They are not funny at all. They present predictable drama, where tension is achieved only because we care about the great characters from earlier in the show. Moreover, Sorkin's typically highly intelligent, educated and politically aware protagonists are hell-bent on giving over ten million dollars of ransom to terrorists, throughout the whole four episodes and nobody considers it to be wrong, except a cocky army lieutenant. It was a great show, except a terrible slip-up at the end, so if you are thinking about watching it, I would advise you to stop after episode 18.
Going' down
Frank Dux3 October 2013
Tapped balloon, I don't think it would get up; even it wouldn't have been canceled. But the first part of the show is great, and sure, one of the best things done in TV about TV. It shows what that world really is; fighting for advisers (in USA more than anywhere due to all the lobbies they have) and how difficult is the making of a politically incorrect show). Episodes are entertaining based upon solid scripts and smart dialogs, very TV-maked; recipe proved good in "The west side of the White House". It shows us the diary making of a late night show and the relations between the staff and with other groups as executives, investment groups, lobbies… The cast is not bad, Perry's character is made for him (he's Chandler at work), Paulsen is good at it as Weber. But I have to mention to Amanda Peet , one of the most perfect faces ever but with a career below the big expectations. I didn't like Whitford and Hughley, too stupid for me. Despise of the great beginning, soon starts the drop (proving 24 episodes per season and high independence level of the plot between episodes is an old fashion formula). Absurd relations; stupid friendship; too plain and stupid theological, political, racism or patriotism discussions; exaggerated situations; are themes which showed up through the show which ruined the beginning. Also that American moral whiff does not help out. As I have read in some reviews when you feel is going down, better quit.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Aaron Sorkin don't know comedy writing
SnoopyStyle11 September 2013
Maybe Aaron Sorkin was out of his depths. He's not a comedy writer. He writes drama. I'm not saying that writing for something like 'Saturday Night Live' isn't dramatic. It's more like he doesn't understand the mental state of a comedy writer, or the process of writing comedies. Even though, he had help. It was his show, and he set the tone. His type of dialog just didn't work.

The cast consists of Matthew Perry, Amanda Peet, Bradley Whitford, Steven Weber, D.L. Hughley, Sarah Paulson, Nathan Corddry, and Timothy Busfield. There are some comedians. Some even write jokes. But there are way too many serious actors. The big main actors aren't joke writers. They just don't have the mentality.

This lasted only 1 season. The cast never really worked as a group. They just don't have chemistry together. And the tone is all wrong. There is just too much serious preaching. It's just an ill-fitting show for Aaron and his dramatic actors.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Only 1 Season ? R U Kidding Me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
virgo_9123 March 2011
OMG!!!! this is the best drama series i've ever seen i still can't believe that it aired for only 1 season.

Awesome plot, Brilliant performances by Matthew seriously he played matt albie brilliantly Bradley was pretty good too but what surprised me was peet i m not really a big fan of her work but i just loved Jordan and not to forget steven and sarah they were pretty good too.

What i most liked about the show is that the story line is very gripping and some of the characters r just lovable

also this is 1 0f Sorkin's best work.I also hope that we can see some more of his good stuff.
Sorkin's brightest hour
hit_the_turf21 January 2011
As a citizen of Australia rather than of the TV-land that has become the United States of America, it is in times such as these that it becomes quite apparent to me just how an individual can hold a grudge. A well-written and compelling production (as people surely have come to expect from the dynamic team found in Aaron Sorkin and Thomas Schlamme) that was backed by a versatile and rarely short on brilliant cast, one would have hoped that the good people of America would have done the rest of the world a favor and supported Studio 60. Perhaps it was the layered story lines or the subtle instances of wit that burst from each character's corner flawlessly that saw this drama be terminated, two traits for which it instead should have been celebrated for.

However, if weakness must be discussed in relation to the show's demise, many would suggest that the sketch-show in which the real show was based upon didn't live up to the humor it was supposed to. Instead of delivering side-splitting laughs as heard by the show's studio audience, many were left to think that these sketches were only amusing at best.

Yet, the performances of the always charismatic duo in Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford as two young executive producers under pressure to produce a live show critiqued to no end drew the focus of the show. It is here that Perry demonstrated himself as being a far more competent actor than late 90s and early 00s sitcom, Friends, would have ever allowed him to be, and a role for which he should have brought upon him far more attention that he acquired.

Studio 60 on the sunset strip, though closed, will hopefully continue on in fans eyes.
The perfect one
studioAT31 August 2010
Studio 60 is the perfect series because it has a fantastic cast, the writing is top notch and there isn't a single episode in the one and only season that I don't love. I'm amazed that it didn't return for a second series but am thankful that Sorkin used the last episode to wrap up all the loose ends and give the show the magical ending it needed.

Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitfords chemistry is fantastic and it is them who hold the show together while Sarah Paulson and Steven Weber are also on top form in their roles. The love story between Matt and Harriet is beautiful and the show within a show element in great.

Studio 60 is the best show that got cancelled ever and I have no doubt that it will become a cult classic in years to come.
Very interesting - but not as a TV show
Elizabeth Ware20 July 2010
Studio 60 has some nice elements. There were some moments that were smart, some that were funny. But as a whole, the show never really gelled.

We'll at the very end, it got pretty good. After they turned it into "The West Wing". At the very end, they started dealing with war, and the military, and the kinds of big issues The West Wing dealt with.

No the reason the show was fascinating was psychological, not artistic. There was lots in the press at the time about the on-again, off-again relationship between Sorkin and Kristen Chenoweth. In the show, Sorkin wrote a TV producer and a really talented performer who were parallels of them. Week after week, Sorkin would show us the conflicts between these characters. Sorkin was still trying to explain himself, win the argument, or accept blame for the conflicts in his own life.

It was fascinating and creepy to watch art imitate life.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Witty and intelligent and now on Netflix Instant
rhodyron4 July 2010
I had never seen or heard of this series until I spotted in on Netflix. All I can say is "wow, how did this only run for one season?". The acting is excellent and that the cast are provided with great dialog certainly helps. You have to follow the dialog closely to catch all the zingers and wit.

Great look at "behind the scenes" Hollywood and the "business" of TV with a cast and characters that you would not necessarily expect to interact so seamlessly and provide both an excellent dramatic and comedic interplay (based on some of their earlier "dumbed down" TV roles). Check this series out. You won't be disappointed.
Brilliant TV Show, a shame it was cancelled
freemantle_uk26 January 2010
Aaron Sorkin has had a tough time with television, his first show Sports Night never gained out a mass audience and was cancelled after 2 short series, he left the great show The West Wing under hostile circumstances, and Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip was cancelled after one season because of low rating. This was a shame because this show had a lot of potential that could have lasted 3 or 4 seasons.

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is set about the events of the running of Studio 60, a Saturday Night Live type show, with the wider events of the National Broadcast Service (NBS). When Jordan McDeere (Amanda Peet) takes over as the President of Entertainment programming she is thrown into crisis when the show runner of Studio 60 has a angry rant live on TV over the declaring quality of the state of Television and the nation. Her solution, hire Matt Albie (Matt Perry) and Danny Tripp (Bradley Whitford), two former producers/writers to run the show, who left after showing a controversial sketch after 9/11. Within the show Jordan wants to improve the quality of NBS' programming, making more scripted shows, hiring more talented writers and avoiding low-quality reality shows that rely on the humiliation of people. The quality of Studio 60 also quickly rises. But there are problems on the way, facing the FCC, the religious right and conservatives who are always critical of Hollywood, studio executives who care more about profit then quality and want to avoid offending anyone, infighting in the show and their own personal lives. Matt is in the middle of a on-off relationship Harriet Hayes (Sarah Paulson), a committed Christian, with a strong following the Christain community, compared to Matt who is a East Coast Atheist Jew. Danny is a recovering drug addict and has affections for Jordan.

If you were an fan of the West Wing then you should like Studio 60. It is a witty dramedy, with a lot of substance. If you are interested in TV and Hollywood then the show would give you a good insight, and should appeal to an audience who long to see this version of Hollywood. The style of the show is very much like the West Wing, following a similar writing, dialogue driven style, with occasional flashbacks, and shot in a similar style. There are also returning West Wing cast members, like Matt Perry, Bradley Whitford and Timothy Busfield. This is a brilliant cast. Sorkin brings in his politics, criticising conservative Christians and the neo-Con who are too quick to criticise, judge and use fear to fulfil their agenda, the FCC for it's dogmatic view on moral and standards. There are criticisms about the Bush presidency and the wars in Iraq and Afghanstan. This was the West Wing mark II.

This was a great show and it was shame it never got a second series.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not the big hit it was hoped to be
John_Truby8 January 2010
Studio 60 has not been the big hit everyone at NBC hoped it would be. And it's taken more than a few shots, mostly from insiders who say that it's not an authentic view of a sketch comedy show. Why? Because it's not funny. And they're right; it's not funny. That could be because creator and writer Aaron Sorkin can't write funny. Or more likely it's because the show's not a comedy. It's a drama about working in a corporation, a corporation that just happens to be in the business of making culture.

Sometimes Sorkin gets too cute in his writing, typically from updating a classic story beat. He always does the beat well, but it's still a recognizable beat. And I get the feeling that he is writing so much so fast that for long stretches he just puts it on automatic and lets his considerable knowledge of story carry him along.

To see one of the reasons why Studio 60 may be having trouble with audiences, let's look at a technique that is crucial to a TV drama: the episodic desire line. In other words, what is accomplished in each episode? In a classic cop show, it's solving the crime. In a courtroom drama, it's winning the case. In a doctor show, it's saving the patient. On Studio 60 it's … Well, we know what it isn't. It's not putting on a 90-minute comedy show. So what is it? The desire line in each episode is what gives the story its shape, and is one of the key elements of a show's DNA. You can create a show in which the desire line extends over many episodes, but you will have more difficulty holding a mass audience. So many shows provide at least one desire line that is accomplished by the end of the episode, and extend the others. Aaron Sorkin doesn't do that on Studio 60. It's not a bad thing. It's just not popular. Regardless of Studio 60's essential structure, there is a lot to like and learn from by watching it.

For example, we see a great technique in the second part of a two-part episode in which Harriet gets an award. It's the technique I call the "dialogue of equals." Good conflict dialogue should be a heavyweight fight. Punch/counter-punch. One throws a hammer blow. The other comes right back with a hammer blow of his own. Not only does each line have dramatic power, the scene builds in the sequence of the blows (lines), ending in a knockout punch.

To create a building punch/counter-punch, you have to have two equals, by which I mean two characters with an equal ability to verbally attack. If one is too strong, he or she will get in the most blows and the scene will not build. In the concluding episode of the two-parter, Matt and Harriet go at each other with ferocity. Matt is the obviously more aggressive and nastier of the two. But Harriet does not shrink back and ends up having the more powerful blows, including the lethal knockout punch.

FOR MORE REVIEWS please visit www.truby.com
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The best American drama since.....
Darkimus_Prime17 October 2009
West Wing. Yes. The West Wing was one of the best things to come out of America in along time, and S60 can maybe, just maybe contend of its spot.

One thing I noticed, is the people who don't like it is that it "wasn't funny" and No, it wasn't. It was witty. Wit and funny are different, there are genuinely funny moments( the baby exploding for example) but I think that the pace of the dialouge and the strength of the dialouge and the stories. The likeablility of the characters as well, I like the characters in S60, from episode one i knew i liked Matt and Danny, didn't like Jack, liked Wes etc....and they have good back stories and it's well explained...

So yeah, S60 should still be on our TVs now, I should have series 5 of S60 sat here with me, but life is cruel, I still hang on to the 23 episodes we had, and i bask in the glory of its big brother....

RIP S60
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sarah Paulson's enhanced and immobile top lip!
njmollo27 July 2009
Having heard such lavish praise of this curtailed series, I finally got a chance to see the first 5 episodes.

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is a show about a comedy show. Where the drama of producing a comedy show is some-what interesting, it is clear that the "so-called" genius who is brought in to save the show is not producing anything funny. The snippets of the ensemble of "comedians" performing their sketches are simply not funny and at times rather pathetic.

It feels like the show wants to gloss over the comedy show scenes as quickly as possible because they know they are not funny.

So we are told that ratings are up and everyone is happy because the show is so funny! Proof of this we are never shown. I think more time should have been given to actually making the "real" comedy scenes funny, so that the cast of "comedians" could be convincing at what they purport to portray.

The casting is rather dubious. Matthew Perry is excellent in his role and within seconds Chandler is a forgotten performance but Sarah Paulson, cast as the popular Christian comic, is totally unconvincing and miscast. Apart from an enormous and immobile top lip that often obscures the lower one, she has absolutely no comic timing or charm what so ever. It is hard to believe that this boring and rather irritating actor could have been given such an important and pivotal role. Also there is simply no chemistry between her and Perry.

Amanda Peet is charming but unconvincing as a tough TV executive. The rest of the cast are reliable if slightly uninteresting.

The dialogue of the drama sequences is too scripted and snappy. People make mistakes, think about what they are about to say. Because these characters work in television does not mean they all speak at a rapid pace without pause or error.

More believable casting and more attention paid to the quality of the comedy sequences could have helped this rather listless and unconvincing show.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The criticisms of this show are way off base
mgriego00726 July 2009
I read through some of the user comments and I have to disagree with almost every criticism leveled at it. I also have to laugh irony given the main topic of the show.

The characters were not mis-cast. Sarah Paulson's Harriet Hays was perfect, exactly the type of character missing on most TV shows to begin with and the most common face that many of us never see when Christian or religious characters are portrayed. She was not a stereotype, she created her own personality and being just like a real person. Amanda Peet, who I am no fan of, was playing the guarded tough gal in the boys club. What do we expect? Her to break down every time Steven Weber's Jack Rudolph yells at her? Comparing this show to the West Wing isn't fair, that was a show about how our ideals and the White House interact. This show has characters who are less than ideal and are already swayed to their beliefs, they don't spend time hashing them out as much as on the west wing, instead, they fight Amercia's perceived culture war on camera for us and usually wind up showing us just how few differences most of us really have. The sketches were not as funny as SNL's, but that's not the point of the show. Anyone who complained about that is utterly missing the point of the sketches to begin with, they are nothing more than social commentary. The comedy in the happens when the show within the show isn't on the air.

The fact that this show fell victim to the very themes it was portraying may be the best sacrifice it could've made for the American TV audience. I realize not everyone is going to appreciate the things I do, and that's fine, but to allow TV to become nothing but the Real World with different settings over and over again is a waste. The mediocrity of most sitcoms, even Perry's Friends, is fine from time to time but every now and then something a bit more substantial would be nice.
Another example of the Sorkin Suck-In
Framescourer21 January 2009
The Sorkin Suck-In. You know, when one episode of a show written by Aaron Sorkin simply isn't enough? When you realise the reason the DVD boxed set was invented? Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip doesn't have the ontological weight of The West Wing but it does deal in those things that Sorkin honed to surgical perfection in the first few series of his political drama - the emotional punch of friendship and doing the right thing.

Of course, this being a series about a TV studio there are some great plot threads about the business (Sorkin's own business), it's quirks and dilemmas. This is also a series conceived, produced and played out entirely in the shadow of the American invasion of Iraq - Iraq, not Afghanistan - and consequently struggles artfully but with pro-liberal bias against the political folly of the Bush-period administration and it's neo-conservatism.

The cast is uniformly excellent, with the possible exception of the British newcomer Lucy Davis, whose dry-slurry delivery doesn't always suit the (fast) pace. The principal duo of Bradley Whitford and particularly Matthew Perry have outstanding vehicles and make them their own; Sarah Paulson is also difficult to fault in a rich but tricky role. Above all the direction, stamped with the imprint of Thomas Schlamme (but shared between three) works hand-in-glove with the text to create something exciting and substantial.

This single series never got a second season. Three reasons? It couldn't survive comparison with The West Wing. It was too personal a vehicle for the disappointment of a writer aghast at his country's involvement in ill-conceived military campaigns abroad. As a result of the second reason it burned up its entire sui generis material in its one enjoyable but self-contained run. 7/10
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
why isn't this on!?!?!?!?!?!?
tripperM8 October 2008
the best thing to be on TV since the west wing and they pull it for the crap laden 30 rock???

when baldwin had his meltdown and the writers came off strike, i thought: "great! finally this'll take off like it should." but no. too "deep", too "intelligent", to close to the mark! i say. i think the only reason this is off the air is political. the back lot money mongers didn't like the idea that studio 60 may be airing too much dirty laundry. TOO BAD! this was brilliant, yeah, it had it's flat moments, but it had SO much better scripting, and dialogue, and cast, and chemistry, and, and, and...
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not best ever, but certainly loved
i-am-cookie-monster21 September 2008
I'm a person that has to have noise. I go to school with some of the noisiest people ever, and as such I have learned to concentrate best by having noise. Whenever I want to do something I throw on An Episode of Friends or West Wing, sometimes even Frasier when I get tired of the other two. I'd do the same with House if I had any to throw on.

All of those shows mentioned above are shows I love, but I don't have to watch any of them. When I put Studio 60 on, though I send up watching it, whether I want to or not. I have to play from beginning to end, and when the last episodes come up me and my parents end up watching K&R all the way through.

Studio 60 is not the show that will bring viewers to the promise land of TV watching, but it's enjoyable. It's smart, and fun, and engaging. Do you need to suspend your belief sometimes? Yes. Is it worth it? Yes.

Studio 60 is a show about the behind the scene of a late night comedy show. It's not meant to show the comedy. Unfortunately viewers believed that the sketches scene had to be funny, and that there needed to be more sketches, but that wasn't the point.

I understand why it was canceled, but that doesn't mean I like it. every time I watch I wish I could see more. I want to know more about the characters. I'm dead certain that, if the show could have stuck ti out for a year or two, that Andy would have gotten a love interest, and Jack would have too.

What's so wonderful about Aaron Sorkin is that is he can make you believe in the good of people. He doesn't write bad guys well. If there are bad guys, they end up good. His writings inspire hope. Why was West Wing a hit? because he made people believe that a good man could be president. What's so magical about Stuio 60? He makes you believe that there can be Studio executives, and Broadcasting execs who are good ,and want to make programming that is more than about making money.

I have a depressing history teacher who knocks me for a loop constantly with her hypocritical talk about politics. On 9/11 she depressed me particularly bad. I got home, watched West Wing's Isaac and Ishmael, and then played Studio 60.

Studio 60 is an antidote for depression of me. It's not a perfect show, but I do love it, and I'm glad I about the box set.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
West Wing meets broadcast television
aramael_musitello18 August 2008
You know, there's nothing worse than reading a review that does nothing other than refer to somebody's earlier work, and complain that it's not as good. Unfortunately, I can't think of another way of approaching this disaster of a television series.

I respect the fact that a group of people enjoy working together. Witness Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy. That was good stuff. A similar thing seems to have occurred during the casting for Studio 60, only what was missed, and missed big time, was the need for these people to play different characters. And in that sense, Studio 60 failed miserably, and when you add identical staging, you can't help but be reminded of a much better show.

(Bradley Whitford reprises Josh Lyman, even to the point where he yells at the bald guy from Sex and the City and has the same relationship with Danny, sorry, Timothy Busfield, that he did in the last show) But this is not the biggest problem. What really killed it for me was the fact that this show they're producing, this cutting edge, hilarious live comedy, is quite possibly the lamest thing I have ever had the misfortune to come across. I've made it to episode three, the one with the ratings result, and ... what can I say? The sketches were terrible. I knew they were in trouble when they decided it would be ground breaking to do a filk of Modern Major General (a much better version can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suegH9Dbqko) but that's not really the point; it's been done, and it's not that interesting.

But the "Science Schmiance" sketch was painful.

I suppose having invested in the season, I should watch the rest. But life is too short.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Studio 60
B-Greco16 August 2008
I just recently rented this wonderful show from Netflex and I am totally hooked. I love Matthew Perry and I never thought that would be possible and the rest of the cast and just the whole setting and story lines. I am so sorry that this show was canceled, someone call HBO, that is where it belongs. They would have a much broader range w/o becoming offensive! It is a pleasure to watch and see the characters interact and the guest stars are great too. John Goodman as the Judge, outstanding; Eli Wallach, another bit of brilliance and so on. I have rec'd the first two DVDs and am awaiting the third. I am going to truly miss this show, when I have seen all the episodes. I would love to see it come back.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pretty great show for condensed viewing
sweetadeleine11 August 2008
I watched this over the weekend. Yes, the sketches are actually bad. Yes, this is a drama. Yes, it is apparently Sorkin-styled. Yes, the Matt/Harriet relationship is annoying (much like those types usually are in real life, hence the annoyance of all the other characters in the show).

But... don't look for the bad things, and you'll find that the good things about this are a work of art, particularly in the last 4 episodes. All of the complexity Sorkin covers about what has been going on in America since 9/11 is right on and extremely powerful. Don't believe other reviews that tell you that this show is right-wing bashing, either. Only someone looking for that would think so; this show portrays both left leaners and right wingers as redeemable yet idiotic.

The most comedic part of this show is when Amanda Peet (whose casting I actually enjoyed) says, "Don't make fun of my magic". Other than that, I probably never laughed out loud, but that will be one cherished bit of television for me in the years to come.
I don't know ...
Michael Fonfara18 March 2008
I'm really sorry, but i don't know where this great rating comes from. The Main Characters are - frankly - misplaced. Matthew Perry has just one thing to do: Look like a stressed busy Writer in an expensive Suit. Amanda Perry looks smirk/glum, the only difference she is able to act on command with wet or dry eyes. But worst is Sarah Paulson. Her Face seems to be stuck in one expression. Isn't she supposed to play a comedian?

I may have missed something really important, but because of this high rating i was expecting something great, which this show clearly isn't ( wasn't).
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Full of Potential, Unlike The Idoits Who Cancelled It.
johnmatthewforan6 February 2008
The best written show since the West Wing was taken off the air was the highlight of last years TV. Although Heroes is fantastic this show made me sit up and take notice.

With some fantastic actors both new and familiar to us in the UK not sure about the US, and some great story lines this show could have gone from strength to strength. It took the West Wing 7 seasons to make me cry and even that was based around an actual death of a cast member but the Studio 60 finale is a thing of beauty. It is all you'd want in a programme heart felt, funny and good actors turning in great performances.

This is the perfect starting point for anyone wanting to start looking at the works of Mr. Sorkin it's not as heavy as the West Wing but every bit as brilliant. I already have the DVDs and the finale again got the best of me.

You'll laugh, you'll cheer and you should cry unless you're made out of stone or something.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Just look at the comments, people...
siseo0525 January 2008
...and you'll see that this show was INCREDIBLY underrated. The rating itself (8.7 at the time of this comment) shows how well loved it was by its fans.

I have to admit, I've kind of felt a downtrend in TV series lately. I know a lot of people love the law/crime dramas like CSI or similar, but I admit those were never to my taste--not that that's a reflection on the quality of those shows. I will say that I watched plenty of other primetime dramas and comedies alike and was disappointed in every one. I had great hopes when I heard the WEST WING creators were coming out with a new show, and the previews looked promising.

I was surprised when I watched the first episode. Not unpleasantly so--just surprised. Maybe I felt that the show would have slightly bolder humor than it delivered. As others have said, though, the dialogue was one of its strongest points; it was a show fully driven by it. The humor, though not overt, was still marked and gave me a good laugh now and again; and it maintained that balance between humor and drama--a little like life, you might say. It had a much more realistic feel in that sense than dramas constantly bogged down by solemnity and string sections, or comedies with canned laughter (that really grates on my nerves--you should never have to be TOLD when to laugh at a show).

The issues the show took on were real and challenging, and it was another thing I admired. It's very easy--well, if not easy, then more common--for shows now to slip into neutrality, keep everyone happy so everyone will keep watching. If we offend anyone, we're going to cause a stir and get our show banned! I respected the fact that STUDIO 60 had the guts to take on such strong issues as race and religion, especially in the media.

As for the acting, I can't say enough. Bradley Whitford could bring a smile to my face just by appearing on screen. He and Matthew made an excellent head team; Perry proved his versatility with this role after his ten-year run on FRIENDS. Amanda Peet practically shines as Jordan, whose character is in danger of being the stereotypical "hard-nosed businesswoman who must be taken seriously in a man's world," but has a much more human interpretation. You remember that she's a woman--a very smart, extremely capable woman, but not a woman trying to be a man.

One negative thing I will say is that some of the will-they-won't-they plot between Matt and Harriett seemed to drag and bogged the show down a little, more because of the cat-and-dog nature of the relationship than the actual uncertainty. It would have been nice to see their relationship take on some sort of stability after an entire season, whether good or bad (always time for more catastrophe later, Mr. Sorkin!). The constant change, nearly every episode, became a little tedious and bordering on soap opera material.

I'm at a bit of a loss to find the reason for this show's failure, especially with some of the crap that's airing now. Perhaps, like me, people came in with different expectations for the show. All I can say is that, with all of these things working for them--the script, the actors, the music, on and on--this show deserved to see many more seasons.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A rare sublime and unique show that has been wrongly cancelled!
KT S6 January 2008
I was excited to see this show for 3 reasons: 1, I am a huge fan of Matthew Perry and couldn't wait to see him return to TV again in a major role.

2, I quite like The West Wing so thought it would be good to watch

3, The ads run on E4 and More 4 (UK TV channels) made me WANT to watch it!

I have loved every minute of the show. I thought the first episode was alright, but it just got better and better. Sure there are a couple of social comments, but I think they are sensible ones. Its a shame its been cancelled... I wonder if its because of all the religion, war, politics and behind the scenes of TV? I thought it was an interesting concept, maybe one that some of the US weren't ready for?

Studio 60 is witty and smart. It is a funny, yet also serious. The actors were great and I was looking forward to watching the next episode week after week.

I really hope it comes back, because let's face it- we need this kind of show on our TVs! Reality TV is annoying, we need shows that make us think!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this