IMDb > "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board
Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Comedy Isn't All Funny Business

Author: Erico_77375 from United States
8 August 2006

After having seen the pilot episode of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, I am left with a sudden sense of excitement for the series to begin. The show hits the gate hard as a veteran executive producer of a late night comedy show (Judd Hirsch) goes on a verbal assault on live television, a moment straight out of Network (which the news media quickly catches onto). The studio is in complete disarray only minutes after the show ends, especially since the network's new president (Amanda Peet) as only been on the job for one day. How can they repair the damage done? Why not call in the two men who made the show a hit (Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford), and have since been fired two years prior. But things aren't going to be so easy to fix since there are execs just waiting to shred all three of them to pieces.

The show is pure Aaron Sorkin: it's witty, intelligent, and heart-felt about issues. It's also a blast to watch as a cast of incredibly talented actors and actresses work together to make Sorkin's words shine. But one thing Studio 60 isn't is a retread of either Sports Night or The West Wing. It's a completely different monster. This time, Sorkin's looking to dive deep into the worlds of Hollywood, Mass Media, and Big Business. With Perry and Whitford, we have televisions new odd couple, both incredibly funny both alone and together. Peet brings her A-game with her as she takes on her most ambitious part yet. And let's not forget some great contributions by D.L. Hughley, Timothy Busfield and Steven Webber. And this is coming straight from the pilot. Who knows where the show will go from here. But I know where I'm going to be on Monday nights.

Intelligent, even handed, courageous. You knock our socks off!

Author: amamistyed from United States
2 October 2006

What a joy. Can you imagine someone actually answering a reporter in a press conference with the TRUTH? Even if it costs them? In Aaron Sorkin's world things are set aright and, while he clearly has questions, he sets out to answer them in a righteous and evenhanded way bringing thoughtful debate to the minds of the audience which, thankfully, he seems to believe can participate in thoughtful debate.

In Sorkin's world there is loyalty unlike almost anywhere on earth. Both in his personal loyalties and those of his interesting, full of life characters, bursting with individuality, personality and beautiful DIALOG...YES! So much incredibly wonderful dialog.

The unique and enduring music of W.G. Snuffy Walden adds such depth of emotion and intent to Studio 60. Music that moves us and causes us to feel with the characters we laugh and cry with and love to see again and again.

Sorkin and Schlamme bring actors we thought were pretty good, some we already really liked a lot, many we didn't even know their names - but now we do...and we always will. Because their talent has been revealed in the most profound way. And, after the pilot, I felt I knew them well and loved them each - a lot.

People enter from stage right and left - set builders, camera people, runners and a fantastic PA played by Merritt Wever who won my heart in the first episode. And I thought...only Sorkin would use this lucky girl in this way and she'll be so great...is so great...

And there are the cameos. Judd Hirsch, Ed Asner. Precious bits of time. As in The Wrap Party where the famous Eli Wallach was exquisite as the old writer/veteran who was once blacklisted in Hollywood. I cried. Very brave lines here, wonderfully acted by all involved. What a piece of film!

And with so much story and so many personalities, there is always room for one more...and one more that amazingly fills a new important space. No fillers here. Enter Christine Lahti...pure class. One more of the unique women in his script. Women who are strong, intelligent, interesting, funny...as well as loyal and led by their integrity. They vary in personality, careers, education, physical appearance and age. They are each absolutely beautiful in ways that most writers/producers/directors haven't seemed to notice nor use yet.

And there are the love scenes between Matthew Perry and Sarah Paulson. Truly amazing, awesome love scenes. Filled with depth and respect; fired with emotion and among the most beautiful ever filmed.

Week after week the story builds, the characters deepen and the anticipation of what is to follow is delightful...because we know the foundation will always be there. We know we can trust Sorkin to always be true.

The most recent: Nevada Day was absolutely great. One of the funniest things I've seen in years. I laughed until my sides hurt. What wit! and what an amazing ability to take real life people and their situations, examine truth and controversy while at the same time making us laugh out loud. And John Goodman, who would never disappoint us if all he did was enter the room...he is so good...was perfect as the judge from Pahrump...yeah Pahrump Nevada. Well, you've just got to watch this one.

The content always is intelligent, honest and courageous. The writing, directing, set design, costume, makeup - all pure talent, pure art. The acting is as acting should be - believable and strong: Perry, Whitford, Peet, Paulson Busfield, Hughley, Weber, and every one in between. Each actor is excellent and important. The show is important. I only hope there will be 130000 episodes.

Thank you Aaron Sorkin and Thomas Schlamme and a most incredible ensemble for giving us your very best every time. You knock our socks off.

Chandler who?

Author: Tadeja Korenc from Outside
30 September 2006

I will not only be talking about Matthew Perry here, i promise, but i need to say this. I am a Friends fan. A can-quote-them-in-the-middle-of-the-night, know-and-own-every-episode kind of fan and i was worried about Mr. Perry, it's just the curse of playing a certain role for 10 years. I must admit, hands down, he is brilliant! Fantastic! Not once did i think of Chandler or Friends for that matter and i applaud him.

Now, Ms. Peet is wonderful too and i did not know she was this talented, i must admit. And Bradley Whitford - i loved him in West Wing, i love him here. I could in fact go on and on about the casting of this show, which is brilliant (Sarah Paulson - OMG), but i don't want to make this comment too long.

I was looking forward to this show and i am not disappointed! The writing is superb, engaging, the dialogues are quick and witty and intelligent! I am a sucker for shows that make me think, that make me watch open mouthed and leave me shell shocked and in not being able to believe the 45 minutes are gone. I re-watched it a couple of times just because i knew there were things i missed in the first run.

To Mr. Sorkin and everybody who is creating this show: you're doing an amazing job! I am hooked. And i so hope this show is here to stay!

Strong, dialogue driven show.

Author: DangerWedge from United States
26 September 2006

I've enjoyed Sorkin ever since I saw A Few Good Men. Sports Night gets regular repeats in my DVD player, and while I never quite got in to West Wing because of scheduling problems on my end, what I did see always impressed me. So I was waiting very eagerly for Studio 60 to premiere. It didn't disappoint.

Now, this show is probably not for everyone. Sorkin doesn't lob softballs at us. He wants us to think, he's not going to spell every little thing out for the audience. Some see him as being preachy, but I'm afraid they not seeing for the forest for the trees here. Some also accuse him of anti-whatever propaganda, but fail to acknowledge or account for the existence of counter balance in the show itself (IE anti-Christian sentiments in S60, although one of his main characters is a level headed and likable Christian woman).

The cast is sublime. Matthew Perry pretty much does what he does, but now he can be the edgier actor he wanted to be. Bradley Whitford has always been underrated and he doesn't fail to impress me here. All of the other members of the supporting cast (including Timothy Busfield, who was looking surprisingly John Ritter-esquire in profile) are worthy. I've seen tons of criticism for Amanda Peet as the newly named president of the network, but I honestly can say I'm buying it. She does have a tendency to make the same face for everything, but otherwise, she's playing the part as it's written. Sometimes it's not the actor, it is the character (see Holmes, Katie and Begins, Batman), and I think this is one of those times. She's playing a relatively young powerful female exec like I'd expect her to. Kinda wink wink like, with a poker face.

Overall, I think this show, only 2 episodes in, is already one of the best shows on the network channels today. Hopefully NBC will give it the due course it deserves, even while it openly mocks the network.

An instant classic?

Author: randy-377 from United States
19 September 2006

Apparently so. From the first kinetic moments, Studio 60 blazes through an hour of swift dialog, brilliant speeches, and a storyline that can go any which way. The camaraderie of Perry and Whitford feels genuine. Whitfords bottled nervous energy which could often become annoying on TWW is perfectly contained if not explained by a history of drug use. And the concept of the show seems remarkable fresh. Who knew? One must love Sorkin for his loyalty (the Albie/Tripp relationship must be Sorkin/ Schlamme) with West Wing regulars showing up. One can only hope Allison Janney gets a regular spot. Some have suggested the show is quite unlike The West Wing, which I disagree with...its the same cinematographer, the same lighting, the same run over dialog Sorkin is famous for...and who cares? It works, and you know it works when you feel exhilarated watching a show, and yearning for the week to pass quickly to see what happens next, and that is exactly what happened. Loved it.

Another lightening in a bottle.

Author: Krys78 from United States
18 August 2006

Studio 60 is the coming out party for Aaron Sorkin since he left NBC (during; The West Wing). He's brilliant again. This series is going to be as big if not bigger than Sports Night and The West Wing. OK, maybe not as big as TWW because you can't be better than 96 Emmy nods. But no joke S60 will blow people away and remind them why they loved and still love AS since he walked into the lives of millions back in the late 90s. I had the fortune to see a sneak peak (hey all you can if you are a netflixian) of S60 and I have already seen it three times. I love the chemistry between Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford, it's like they have worked together for years. Being a regular Sorkinite, I have followed all his hits. This is just going to be a great addition to an already amazing resume. Many of the greats (staff and cast) are back from either TWW, American President or SN. It's good to have you home, Aaron!

Great show!

Author: from New York, NY
14 August 2006

Saw the pilot on NetFlix, and it's everything one should expect from Sorkin, Schlamme and this cast...sharp, tense, funny, and exhilarating television. Even if you don't care about behind-the-scenes drama or live TV or Saturday Night Live (which the show is based on), check this out...it's got a ton of drama, heart, and fun. Hopefully Sorkin will take time to develop each character. My only issue with the episode is that there's too much to cover, so we only get quick glosses of characters, but it's just a pilot, so it's OK to serve as an introduction. Matthew Perry, Amanda Peet, Brad Whitford, Timothy Busfield are all perfectly cast and show new range. Can't wait for the season to get going.

Brilliant and Original. TV's been waiting for something like this!

Author: Kevin Smart from United States
26 December 2006

In a time of Apprentice, Fear Factor, Bachelor and a dozen police/crime scene shows, Studio 60 brings diversity to network television. This is a very witty and thought provoking show, which offers philosophical views on many topics, relative to today's society.

We've seen how police stations, hospitals, and the White House work, now we get to see how network television works. The show incorporates a lot of self-irony and probably borrows a lot of material from real life experiences behind the scenes of network TV.

Like many others, I was afraid that Mathew Perry would not be able to put the Chandler character behind, but I was pleased to find out, that he did it, and he did it in style. I believe Perry has grown a lot as an actor and he is shining. The rest of the cast is also great, and so far it looks like this show has no main character - this has proved to be very successful in the past.

I realize that the audience of this show is naturally limited, but I really hope it stays, because I believe it has the potential to become a classic!

Edgy, quick and dark

Author: Becky-61 from United States
11 August 2006

There are (delightful) shades of Sports Night's Dan & Casey combo in this very well written series. Matthew Perry was right to wait for the perfect project to come along. From the looks of it, Studio 60 will let him do what he has seldom been afforded the opportunity to do, and that is subtle comedy with an edge. West Wing fans will have no problem accepting Bradley Whitford in this decidedly un-Josh Lyman role. Rounding out the core cast are some of Hollywood's most interesting and under-cast actors, including D.L. Hughley, Sarah Pauley (perhaps this will finally be the break out that she deserves) and Steven Webber. And Amanda Peete is magnetic in her return to both the small screen and to center stage, as a driven and enigmatic young television exec. Aaron Sorkin & Tommy Schlamme deliver once again.

The Wrap Party

Author: david Bilinski (david26m2@gmail.com) from Winter Park, Florida
24 October 2006

As usual the "Sorkonian rhythm" is just amazing to me and yes I am claiming that name. I'll keep this short, but looking back to Sports Night, Aaron has always made me think. The first time I saw that kind of dialogue,it reminded me of a little show back in the mid 80's called moonlighting. That sit up and pay attention attitude of writing, and delivery of dialogue I just fell in love with.

I get to enjoy that in a whole new way with the Rhythm that only Aaron can write. Forget anyone else When you get Aaron and Tommy on a project it's like a bus that comes down the road that you can either get on and enjoy a ride like you will never ever have again in a lifetime, or stand in the way and let it just run you over! I found myself this evening after watching this episode getting online and looking up and reading about "The Hollywood 10" and reading the stories of each and every one of them and the hundreds of others that were blacklisted as well.

I very rarely get emotional over TV shows, but the shows that Aaron writes touch me in ways that I never knew were possible from a box that will display things like "Date my Mom" and "Pimp My Trike" I bow to the enlightening wit, drama, and even when it takes a slap to the face to see all sides of a story. Never ever stop what you are doing! But in closing I really have to ask myself what it must be like around the Shoe Money offices with people running around all day long telling each other "Hey don't forget I need to meet with the guy about the thing..." A personal thanks to Aaron and Tommy for Years of entertainment and for many more to come!

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]