IMDb > U Want Me 2 Kill Him? (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
uwantme2killhim?

U Want Me 2 Kill Him? More at IMDbPro »uwantme2killhim? (original title)

Intriguing and interesting, solid movie.

Author: coolness_inabox from New Zealand
18 September 2013

I had not read the Vanity Fair article, or had heard anything of this story before I decided to watch this film. I actually watched it by chance with no knowledge of what it would really be about and was immediately sucked in to the story.

It has a great pace, but I'm a sucker for quiet, sometimes brooding, films. There are a few twists and the film keeps it interesting by exploring flash backs and fragmented time lines, this was a wise move otherwise the movie could have really fallen flat and come off as slow and boring I feel.

The acting is adequate, there will be no Oscars but my attention and suspension of disbelief were held well. I felt myself connecting with the leads, they captured my attention well which is not an easy thing to do so it added to my enjoyment.

While this film does have some flaws, I feel that it deserves a solid seven for the experience it delivers and I think it deserves that extra nudge for the fact that it is "based on true events".

Interesting to say the least, worth a watch.

An unbelievable true life story

Author: davideo-2 from United Kingdom
9 December 2013

STAR RATING: ***** Saturday Night **** Friday Night *** Friday Morning ** Sunday Night * Monday Morning

A film depicting the apparently true life story of Mark (Jaime Blackley) a popular, charismatic boy at school with an equally popular social life on the internet, who is asked by online friend Rachel (Jaime Winstone) to take her socially awkward brother John (Toby Regbo) under his wing. Mark finds himself explaining this in flashback to DI Clayton (Joanne Froggatt), whilst he has been placed under arrest for John's attempted murder, only to go on and explain the events leading up to this, which unravel an increasingly warped, deranged tale of fantasy and reality becoming horribly blurred.

This indeed dramatises events that occurred during 2003 in a suburban area of London. I remember a TV drama from some years ago about something similar that happened in Manchester, or maybe they've just swapped locations. Andrew Douglas, the man behind the Amytiville Horror remake, presents us this story that is a bewildering fact is stranger than fiction case whichever way you look at it, but has more relevance and believability in this day and age, where it sometimes feels like the internet basically controls everything. This in turn makes it all the more chilling, and makes you wonder just what dangers unfettered chat rooms could pose in future.

The film benefits from an unknown but solid and dynamic young cast, chiefly Blackley, who bears a striking resemblance to a younger Russell Brand, fitting in his role as the eloquent, dynamic young man, forming an odd double act with Regbo as his needy cohort. It's a small scale effort, and the constraints sometimes show through, but it tells it's baffling story with aplomb and has a solid young cast to carry it through. ***

Slow start, but, felt it at the end. Had to go back to the beginning to see what I misunderstood.

Author: agreger from United States
17 September 2013

I almost did not watch this. The story was slow to develop and I was not comfortable with the opening scenes. At the end I felt an emotional impact from the story and saw then how everything that preceded built up to the climax. Turns out to be a good story of youthful male bonding and a plausible story of a series of events misleading the innocent and gullible (Mark). A good story always makes the effort of watching thru an otherwise uninspired scenery (low budget?), low suspense, not a lot of action or Hollywood style attention grabbing scenes. A Hollywood movie could never get away with producing a movie just built on the story. Toby Regbo (John) did some affective emotional scenes, facial expressions were right on.

Excellent British thriller

Author: Tom_Soprano from England
31 July 2014

Uwantme2killhim? strikes me as a film that a lot of people would miss out on seeing because the title is absolutely ridiculous. It makes sense when you watch it but from the outside looking in it doesn't sound very catchy.

I watched it just recently and it turned out to be a lot better than expected. Great thriller with plenty of twists and turns that really gets you thinking. As I was watching it I just couldn't believe this could be true, so I was shocked when I found out its based on a true story. It's quite unbelievable really.

Its all about trust in friendships and how we are led to believe things if we are easily influenced. The cast all done a brilliant job, I really couldn't work out which characters were genuine and which ones were not.

Will Mark do everything someone online is telling him to do? I'd recommend this film to everyone, just don't read too much about it before watching as you may spoil a great film.

9/10 – One of the best British films I've seen for a while, along with Wild Bill.

Saw this movie out of curiosity...

Author: TV Nut from United States
11 January 2014

I'm familiar with two of the main cast (Toby Regbo of Reign and Joanne Froggatt of Downton Abbey). It started off a bit slow for me, but it got interesting after Mark heard the news about Rachel.

I did not know this movie is based on real events! It reminds me so much of Heavenly Creatures with Kate Winslet, but without the attraction between friends of course.

The twist at the end was totally unexpected. It makes you wonder how, as a movie watcher, you missed the signs that led to the ending. Overall, it's an enjoyable movie!

Fantastic actors, great plot.

Good psychological thriller, though compromised by some bits of bad acting

Author: andrelot from Netherlands
17 April 2014

U Want Me 2 Kill Him is a psychological thriller of the crop of lower budget movies that mix tech savvy young people and computers. A lot of things in this movie happens over an Internet connection, but this is not a 'geek-hacker' plot.

The plot is interesting, and there also some complex character development. This is definitively not your regular "pick a list of stock characters" drama movie.

However, acting is somehow inconsistent. Not bad, but inconsistent - there are some great intense scenes that are just followed by some instances of really bad acting (which is why I give this movie a 7 instead of 9 score).

Very clever plot in a neatly made film. Riveting!

Author: Patrick James from Brighton & Hove, England
4 June 2014

If you are doing a bit of reading to see if this film is worth watching then I strongly recommend that you avoid reviews with spoilers. If you find out how this film turns out at the end it will ruin the film for you, and it would be such a waste, as it is a great little film.

Set in North London in 2003 the film is based on a true story, and an amazing story it is as well. The story is told efficiently. This production is concisely directed, neatly edited and nicely shot. The two main characters Mark and John are convincingly acted by Jamie Blackley and Toby Regbo respectively. They are 16 year old schoolboys at what looks like a comprehensive school.

You will find yourself immersed in their teenage world, in particular in Mark's online world, chatting with several different young women. How powerful that world is for him and what power they have over him.

These Internet chat sessions are portrayed very well. The characters speak what is being written, mimicking the voicing in Mark's head as he reads and writes.

You will be captivated by this film. But don't read about it online anymore or you risk spoiling it, instead go now and watch the film!

Good film, interesting watch...

Author: sam_784 from United Kingdom
25 April 2014

I liked this film although it only had an average of 6.2 (April 2014). As this was loosely based on a true story, I was interested to see the outcome of this film having not previously read or heard of this case.

The ending was a complete surprise (to me at least!) and well worth a watch on that basis alone.

The two main actors were surprisingly good, I hadn't heard of them before but would watch them in future films based on their performances in this.

This would never be a Top 10 film for anyone I wouldn't imagine but if your looking for something to watch on Netflix, there are far worst films you could spend your time on.

General Review

Author: st8627 from England
30 March 2014

A real gritty British film , slow moving but that is the point , this is not a story about fast paced action, but about relationships in a modern world where physically seeing someone is often not reality.

Moving between scenes you do have to pay attention but this film achieves this really well and the direction is excellent. Our characters are built up gradually throughout the film and you begin to like parts of them , whilst becoming annoyed about some of their characteristics during other scenes.

You will think you know what is going on and I do enjoy second guessing these types of films , but this comes straight out of left field and I genuinely believe you won't see it coming.

Do watch the whole film , it is very good.

Just below the rib cage.....

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
23 March 2014

Mark has been having a relationship with Rachel in an open chat room for quite some time, but Mark delves deeper Rachel's psyche, and he soon becomes introduced to others in the chat room as well.

These include Kevin, Rachel's abusive boyfriend, and Janet, who claims to be an MI5 agent. Upon

Mark also befriends John, Rachel's brother, and Marks classmate.

The two boys start get drawn into various conspiracies within the chat room, which eventually leads to attempted murder.

I never read anything about this, and missed the opening credits, so you can understand how much I balked when I read that this was based on a true story. And the fact that this true story came from Vanity Fair of all publications, made me take the whole thing with a huge pinch of salt.

Take the 'fact' that this story is supposedly 'true', and you have a solid thriller, with a really clever twist come the final act.

To think that one person can impersonate so many people on line, isn't really a huge stretch of the imagination, it's an everyday occurrence if you watch Catfish, but to brainwash an individual into stabbing another, you have to be very cold and calculating, especially if its yourself.

The performances are great, and the narrative is wonderful, despite the twisty, turny story.

On initial release, I dismissed this movie as being another 'hoodie' movie, thanks to the title and the poster.

Don't do the same, it's well worth watching.