IMDb > "Brandvägg" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Brandvägg" More at IMDbPro »

A Non-Hollywood techno-thriller

Author: groucho-47 from Finland
5 January 2008

Having read quite many of Henning Mankell's novels I was interested to see how well they transform to films. "Brandvägg" (which is 'firewall' in English) puts Kurt Wallander (the resident main character of Mankell's crime novels) in the trails of an international terrorism. What starts as a simple murder investigation soon escalates into bigger things, which I won't spoil here - part of the charm of the movie comes from discovering it yourself. The strong points of the movie are its characters - Rolf Lassgård draws a very human Kurt Wallander and the supporting cast is excellent. The plot is not the most original one (the fragility of technology-depended Western world has been pointed out in many movies before) but holds the viewer's interest to the end. My only gripe is the "happy ending" which seems unnecessary but I guess it is true to the book. In conclusion "Brandvägg" was a positive surprise and I am looking forward to see more Wallander novels on screen.

Rolf Lassgard vs. massive computer attack on financial system

Author: msroz from United States
29 December 2014

Rolf Lassgard plays an aging Kurt Wallander in this 2-part TV movie of "Firewall". He's diagnosed with diabetes, which he won't accept easily. The story revolves around an attempt to disable all the financial systems of the western world, thereby disrupting money. This is being planned by wrong-headed idealists who think this will change the world and rectify its imbalances, especially African poverty. The first half is more or less typical Wallander police work, which means figuring out a murder case (a taxi driver) and an accidental death near an ATM machine, plus another murder of a girl suspected of the first murder. We are right there as the clues build up. Part one includes an assassin on the loose.

Wallander stories are always interesting because of the personal angles and conflicts within the police group. Lassgard works with his ex-wife, plus he has some issues with Martinsson.

Part two is more about the computer end of the case, intensely so, because the clues point to a computer attack in the offing.

Although the suspense is by no means nail-biting, the story holds our interest. I watched it on two successive nights. Rolf Lassgard makes an interesting Wallander, being the furthest thing from glamorous, and rather volcanic at times. He has a full array of human weaknesses.

As Wallander depictions go, this one is about average. It's not high budget, doesn't have huge amounts of actions, and is not crisply edited. Yet there's something about these Wallander movies, no matter who plays him (Rolf Lassgard, Kenneth Branagh or Krister Henriksson) that makes them easy to take and enjoyable to watch.

Part 2 was very cool...

Author: sebastiannielsen from Sweden
17 December 2006

I really love this movie. It was much computer crime involved, and the server room in the house, with its Compaq server (I know its a Compaq because I recognized the Integrated Management Display, which only exist on Compaq Servers.), was really cool.

And the best scenes of them all: When the girl manages to crack the password to the software on one of the computer's in the house.

And the very GOOD ending, where the cops figure out that the computer password KREE is the ATM code 5733, and that code starts the attack in that particular timezone, when the code is entered on a specific ATM.

Another cool scene, is when the hackers use some sort of VNC to hack into the police computer to check emails, and which web pages the cop visited.

Some + and -'s:

+ The movie is based on computers and hacking.

+ Its long, about 3hrs, giving the movie enough time to end in a good manner. (short movies tend to end without telling the true end of the story)

+ Its easy to recognize many items, and words/sentences in the movie.

+ both Swedish text and Swedish speak

- part1 didn't contain enough computer hacking.