IMDb > "A Haunting" (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"A Haunting" More at IMDbPro »

Great show.

Author: Roger_Sterling from Addison, Illinois, United States
18 February 2006

This show isn't like those other try-to-make-it-look-real-but-fail-miserably type of shows. It really makes it look real. I really hope discovery channel lets it have a long run. it's got me hooked. Not to mention the fact that the show scares the crap out of me most of the time.

Honestly, the discovery channel has made a good decision airing this. The narrator really has a voice that sounds, well, i don't want to say creep, but serious. Suitable for the show. I can't believe this is the first comment for this show. It's outstanding. New episodes start airing March 17. I will be watching. And so should you, especially if you love these paranormal type of shows.

A Haunting gets an A Plus

Author: Gregory Irish from New Jersey
5 January 2007

My wife and I have found this show "A Haunting" to be very entertaining and shows what many people have been through. While some of the shows may appear to be strange and some of the characters might appear to be different, just think how it would affect you to live through some of these events as they are. They have endured situations that most of you would not be able to handle yourselves. I hope that this show continues to put out new episodes. Of the episodes we liked are, "Fear House", "Hidden Terror", "Unleashed", "Gateway to Hell" (which was about a nightclub that was owned by Bobby Mackey. the country musician), "A Haunting in Ireland" and "Darkness Follows". Discovery Channel has a winner with this show. Keep up the good work.

Love it - hope it gets good ratings

Author: AerLingus from Abbotsford, BC, Canada
20 July 2006

I love paranormal programs, but not just any programs, as some don't have experts on the matter nor the sufficient research before airing. What I have enjoyed about "A HAUNTING" has been the narrator's voice, the fact that it deals with well-documented cases (I was familiar with some cases such as the one based on the book "In A Dark Place," although the names were changed on TV), the interviews with the actual people involved (including many reputable experts and investigators), and the realistic dramatizations. The show doesn't poke fun at the subject, nor does it exaggerate and over dramatize the events. The show simply represents the facts (as given), is non-biased, and allows the viewer to form their own opinions. The music is effective too. I really enjoyed some of the two-hour specials they had on a couple of years ago. Hopefully, there will be enough viewers to get the keep the program on the air.

Fantastic

Author: batnicboy from United States
14 March 2006

I am riveted by this series. I never was a great fan of the "mummy" or the "mummy returns..." type of silly scary movies or shows since they're fictitious. I thought I'd never see anything better than haunted hotels of Neworleans. The story line and special effects in this series has captivated me and admittedly because it is based on a real story although it certainly is enhanced to make it even more appealing. Kudos to the Discovery Channel for endeavoring to venture beyond with such realism and occasionally including shots of the real folks that actually lived these experiences. It is a fantastic mix/blend which enhances the appeal of the series. The word is hopefully getting around about this series and I'm doing my part to spread it. All I can say is MORE MORE MORE please Discovery!

Truly terrifying

Author: dorotka24 from United States
16 August 2007

I've always been interested in the paranormal, and there are not many dramas that do justice to what must be a fearful experience. Not all of the episodes of "A Haunting" are great, but those that are I found to be as terrifying as any drama regarding the paranormal, on TV or in the theater. The creators most certainly have taken the stories they are given and had plenty of creative license with them, but that doesn't bother me a bit. If you want more "realism" in your paranormal show, then there are a number of reality haunted house shows, EVP (Electronic Voice Phenomena) recordings, and the like that could occupy days of your time, but I frankly become quite bored with such things. Definitely give this series a look.

TRUE haunting in your nightmares

Author: Disfigurator from Latvia
18 September 2008

I am huge fan of Horror films and Horror gaming and roots for such addiction lies deep into my psyche.

I was watching this show when it was aired in Discovery and this show immediately caught my attention for good amount of episodes. I have seen pretty much Horror movies and played most Horror-soaked games like Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, Forbidden Siren.

To think - I must redefine my statement, that Horror gaming is the scariest form of entertainment and that no movie can deliver equal scariness. But this show CAN. It features some nice narration, tales from witnesses and Para physics. But the thing that made me stand up all night is that these are REAL ghost stories, depicted in realistic way in the taste of Discovery. Such a combination (true ghost story + nice narrative + good cinematography) is the nuclear weapon of Horror.

This show indeed made me stand up all night or delivered some troubles to get sleep, because these stories manifested into myself and my fantasy and this combo just scared me sh**less – and wouldn't’t let me go to sleep properly, really. Experience, which is quite rare for me - equally I was scared in my childhood due to the acts of Hellraiser, later - due to some ghost-Horror movies, recently - due to Silent Hill and Fatal Frame game-play. This show lines in between Ghost Horror movies and game-play periods. I think, that A Haunting was the last drop in the glass, titled "Please fill this glass and make the owner a HUGE horror-addict".

Sooo much better than most!

Author: vegacanes from United States
7 December 2006

I love the show Ghost Hunters. I love anything that will creep me out. When I saw this on the menu I thought I would give it a try thinking it would have actual footage not crappy reenactments. When I saw that it was just that I almost turned it off. There are too many of these shows with worse acting and really stupid stories, not to mention god awful special effect that I could do from my home computer. I am so happy I didn't. This show really had some creepy moments. Good directing. There were a couple of bad SFX, but overall I really liked it! I also liked some of the actors in it. Hoping to see what else they had done, I couldn't find them on IMDb...bummer. My advice, give it 1 show, I mean the whole hour. There might be some people who are as surprised as I was.

Friends have related encounters...

Author: dskok-1 from United States
17 December 2006

I have countless friends, all of which do not talk readily about nor have an obsession with paranormal occurrences confess to experiencing encounters with entities. From plain as day sighting of aparitions going about their daily business in an old apartment to others hearing voices and loud sounds of horses running into their house on a nightly basis (a new house at the time). Others experiencing aparitions in a house that the owners reported noises and trunks moving across an attic floor. This is just a sampling, I have heard of many more. The persons that related these experiences are reluctant if not embarrassed to admit their encounter after I tell them about the 'ghost stories' recounted on "A Haunting". As a child I witnessed unexplainable sightings of aparitions and movement of objects. As an adult I would be terrified if I encountered the happenings related by my friends or persons on the series. I have no doubt that the stories that friends (and relatives) related are true and have no doubt that the extremes portrayed in "a Haunting" are true.

An hour of television that never fails to entertain.

Author: dwr246 from United States
12 December 2006

A Haunting is an interesting combination of documentary and dramatization. It combines recorded interviews with those who experienced the haunting, with dramatizations of the actual events. The end result is a scary show that has a much more realistic feel to it.

While the episodes are somewhat formulaic in nature - family (or sometimes family member) moves into a new house and begins experiencing unexplained phenomena, which eventually turns menacing; experts are called in to help dispel the evil entity, meeting with mixed results - the storytelling is excellent. You know going in that the point of this show is to scare you, and still it manages to do so every time. All elements of the production work together toward that goal - story, acting, cinematography, effects, narration, background music - all work together to keep the viewer riveted to the screen.

The acting is particularly good in these shows. The cast is not composed of well known actors, but the actors create believable characters with mostly believable reactions to the situations they find themselves in. The narration strikes just the right note between creepy menace and factual telling.

Those looking for actual proof of ghosts may find themselves a little disappointed with this show, as it does nothing to really prove the existence of ghosts. It merely accepts the stories of those to whom the strange phenomena happened. Likewise, the skeptics may be disappointed that the show doesn't disprove ghosts, either. But for those looking for good scary entertainment, without a lot of gore, this show is a must.

So, turn the lights down low, turn on the television, and get ready for an evening of chilling entertainment...

superstitious

Author: nmurphy77 from United States
20 October 2008

Every time I watch this program it irritates me. I cannot see how a person with any sense can handle this. In most of the episodes I have seen either people get involved in Wicca, Druidism, or something else equally harmless and horrible things happen to them or they clearly have a psychological condition which makes them susceptible to hearing voices or the like. Then, as predictably as a parable in Bible Study, they go back to the fold of the church or something and then, magically, everything is OK again. Is this show some form of propaganda or is it just celebrating the most extreme superstitiousness I've ever seen?