IMDb > "Greg the Bunny" (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Greg the Bunny" More at IMDbPro »

Greg's Got a Brand New Bag!!!!

Author: (oxblood) from United States
17 November 2005

Somehow, Greg the Bunny creator Dan Milano was able to retain the central characters from the canceled FOX series and strike out on his own on the Independent Film Channel. GtB is a series again now in 15 minutes segments, wedged between animated feature Hopeless Pictures and The Festival. But if you're expecting to see the old GtB with the Sweetknuckle Junction and Eugene Levy, you may be a bit disappointed. This is a different show but no less hilarious. For one thing, only Greg, Warren and Count Blah appear in this new version now. Seth Green makes occasional but rare appearances. Obviously, FOX retains the actual puppets used from the original series, so Greg and company look quite crude and raggedy. The characters speak of the FOX years in the past tense as if they were fired actors. Now they're' actors-for-hire. With an "A Team"-like intro, the premise of the show is spelled out. Each episode is a parody of a cult movie. "Fargo", "2001: A Space Odyssey", "Natural Born Killers", "Auto-Focus" are some of the movies that have been parodied. I'm not sure how long this format will hold but it works.

The other big difference is that because this is on cable, the humor is much more on the raunchy side. Nothing seems to be off-limits. Sex, crude language, violence. This was my greatest fear for this series. The FOX series worked because the envelope was pushed to the limit. A puppet show with adult themes. Since it was a network show, they had a certain threshold. Since it was the maverick FOX, they had a long leash. Unfortunately, FOX became concerned about ratings and the show was canceled. On IFC, anything goes and I was afraid they'd lean on sex and profanity as a crutch, but Greg is still cute and Warren is even more cynical and sarcastic as ever. The profanity is well placed and not too gratuitous. I think this is how Milano originally intended his show to be. Though I still prefer the FOX series, I think this is a great follow-up. Still hilarious, just not everybody's cup of tea.

Author: (frequency_down-1) from United States
14 November 2005

I'm really glad IFC is letting this happen. It's good to see Greg, Warren and Count Blah again (it would be nice to see Tardy, but apparently he was kidnapped. Listen to the commentary on the DVD). I was pretty mad when Fox canceled the sitcom. Granted, this isn't the sitcom (so don't expect it, expect along the lines of the old shorts), it's just as good (if not better). Thank You! So far so good (even though the Eraserhead parody was almost as weird and disturbing as the actual movie)! I'm hoping the DVD of this that comes out in Feb. has some extra goodies on it rather than just the episodes. I hope to see more soon! Keep 'em coming

Puppet, please!

Great Show!

Author: ian122591 from United States
10 December 2006

When I first got IFC i watched then first episode i ever saw which was 'Blah' and nearly peed myself it was so funny. I think it is more funny for those who have seen some of the movies they parody like Godpappy (Godfather), Daddyhood (Eraserhead), and Sex, buttons, and a videotape (AutoFocus). I recorded every episode for months until i had to switch cable companies and lost IFC, but i am so glad it is out on DVD, this is a great show! Watch IT!!!!! You will be glad you did. It is funny, it is ridiculous and it is... just forget it. Don't read this anymore, go buy the show on DVD or record the episode NOW, i'm not kidding, do it, watch it, like it!

IFC comes to save the day!

Author: CrassActionHero from United States
25 August 2006

When FOX picked up Greg the Bunny, a part of the world died. The show was horrific and dreadful. The restrictions of network television ruined a classic (Seth Green didn't help either). IFC brought back the series to restore the glory and wash away the painful memories of that awful sitcom. The restrictions of the sitcom are gone and back are the curse words, vulgar humor and adult content. This is the funniest show on cable! Even better is that The puppets are worn out and messy, not clean like on FOX. That brings in the element of filth and independence that the show presents all to well. The parodies are hilarious. You see parodies like, Dead Puppet Storage (Pulp Fiction), Sleasy Rider (Easy Rider) Godpappy (The Godfather), and more. We also meet other puppets such as Warren the ape, Count Blah, and occasionally, The Wumpus. The arguments between the cast and the puppets, (Espessialy Warren) are extremely funny too.

The Last Word: IFC did the world justice by bringing this series back to it's true form. Even though it's 12 min. long, it's the funniest show on cable! Better yet, Seth Green is NOT on all of the episodes! YES!! This is Greg's show! Let Greg be the star. Highly recommended!