IMDb > "Windfall" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Windfall" More at IMDbPro »

Best New Show in Ages

Author: abdaughtry from United States
22 June 2006

I can't imagine what kind of show the first reviewer on here likes, but I watched Windfall and was hooked immediately. It is no train wreck - it simply has many story lines for a variety of colorful characters. There is humor and drama. After each of the first two shows, I couldn't wait till the next one to see what would happen. Everyone I know who's watched this is also hooked on it. And I think the acting is fine - perhaps the critics could show the credentials that qualify them to criticize this great ensemble group. Also - there's no way they used Luke "Dylan" Perry from 90210 to get viewers. The only reason I tuned in was for Jason Gedrick, who is a far bigger star than anyone else, including Luke, although he didn't star in a television show that was watched by millions of adolescents. I will continue to watch it for all the other characters, as well. The fact that everyone else is unknown is just one more refreshing reason to watch and enjoy this show. NO ONE gets excessive screen time over anyone else. It is a show about many characters and many stories.

love it

Author: TChontese from United States
21 June 2006

this is great. i love watching shows with a sort of characters to focus on. an assortment of characters always leaves room for death and additional characters. things could get very interesting. from one writer to another, good job. i love the way all of the characters are linked by the common thread, money. i saw great writing and that was only in one episode. i don't watch much TV. this show will become 1 of the 4 network TV shows that i watch. please choose a time slot and stick with it. if i have to search for a show i usually end up missing it. after i do without my weekly dosage of a particular show, i usually learn how to do without.i missed it last week. hopefully it won't happen again.

Pretty Good Show

Author: allison1591 from United States
9 June 2006

This was a pretty good show. It starts out with eighteen people at a party when the lottery is at an all-time high (386 million dollars). One person from this party gets tickets for the whole party and some kid at the convenience store. The next day they find out they won the lotto, instantly turning the eighteen party goers, the kid at the store, and one mystery woman into multimillionaires. As the show goes on, we find out about different affairs the people are having, an ex-con is thrown in there, and a teenager gets a Russian wife. Good stuff. It was a fun show, even thought it was highly improbable that they would win. I usually don't watch a lot of dramas (I'm more of a crime show person) this looks good and it'll help me get through a long CSI-less summer.

Excellent TV Show!

Author: BreanneB from United States
8 July 2006

This t.v. show is excellent! Especially since Jon Foster is in it. He gives the best acting performance of all the actors on this show. I give him a 10 out of 10 golden star rating.

Everyone on this show has learned that being a multimillionaire is not all it's cracked up to be. The feeling is great but the price of other people wanting to take advantage is the cruel reality that comes with it. I wonder what will happen next week when they talk more about the murder.

I give this show 10/10 golden stars! The acting is great, as well as the costumes, production, script, plot, storyline, photography, and directing.

loved it

Author: shawntae strickland from USA
9 June 2006

I thought this was amazing! I thought the storyline was so adorable. I was happy when they were happy and sad when they were. I thought the acting was fabulous! Each character brings something amazing to the show. It is also full of drama, humor and romance. I cant wait to see more of this within the coming weeks. I think that everyone should watch this show at least once. I found out by watching the first episoide that there was going to be a lot of drama, and learned that greed can make people do crazy things. That is why i think this show is so fantastic, you can learn and be entertained all in the same time. So, once again, watch this amazing show you wont be disappointed.

Winning the lottery has never been so depressing

Author: liquidcelluloid-1 from www.liquidcelluloid.blog.com
26 September 2006

Network: NBC; Genre: Drama; Content Rating: TV-PG (for some language and suggested sex); Perspective: Contemporary (star range: 1 - 4);

Seasons Reviewed: Complete Series (1 season)

At a Lottery Party, a group of 20 friends of all different ages and ethnicities - including Lana Parrilla ("Third Watch"), Jason Gedrick ("Boomtown"), Sarah Wynter ("24" hottie with the angry eyes) and Luke Perry - each put a dollar into a pot and, overnight, the numbers hit and they all become millionaires. At first it is great. Who wouldn't want to be a father able to give his kid a carnival in the backyard for his birthday or be able to hop on a first class jet and take an afternoon shopping spree in Paris.

But this is a dysfunctional group and there are a few problems from the outset all of which get heightened by the fame and fortune that comes from the lottery. The most compelling story involves Jon Foster ("Life As We Know It"), as a high schooler who cooks up a scheme to emancipate from his ruthless father by marrying a Russian mail-order bride. D.J. Cotrona ("Skin", not "Wonderfalls" but they look alike) plays an ex-con, unable to claim the money on his own for fear of being caught by the feds and tracked down by an old nemesis. He enlists a lawyer, Zoe (Sarah Morris) for help claiming it.

Created Laurie McCarthy and Gwendolyn Parker, "Windfall" has such a potentially fun concept it can instantly appeal to everyone. Who hasn't at one time stated that all their problems could be solved by winning the lottery? But soon what began as a fun and entertaining wish fulfillment series takes a sharp left turn into full-on soap opera mode. And not fun sudsy soap stuff, but dark, tiring, endlessly melodramatic stuff.

While every other story slowly looses steam the more complicate and convoluted it becomes, it is single-handedly with the Sean/Zoe storyline where the show jumps the shark. The unexpected turn it takes is pretty damn horrifying and effectively jars it out of our fantasy land. The promise that is made in the light-hearted Pilot is not fulfilled; "Windfall" makes for a terrible wish-fulfillment show.

Am I wrong to ask that this show be a light-weight wish-fulfillment series? Normally, this is where I would tell someone to meet the show on its level and not demand it be what you want. But we've been down the relationship melodrama road a thousand times before. A married women is secretly in love with another married man. A son angry with his overbearing father runs away and gets in over his head. It's hard to shake the "90210" feel of the show, which ironically comes the least from the appearance of Luke Perry. Perry's character seems to be the only one who enjoys the money and is one of the show's bright spots. The guy is unusually laid back even when learning his wife is in love with another man.

What "Windfall" doesn't seem to get is that the wish fulfillment angle is the most original option to take this story. Maybe "Windfall" as a comedy about people misusing and abusing of money and fame (wait, that was pretty much "Arrested Development"). Or maybe just "Windfall" as a more intelligent drama. The age-old hypothetical of choosing between love and money is boiling under the surface here - and the show is unwilling or unable to dig deep to get to it.

Why? Might I propose the reason is to fill a TV mandate that demonizes money and fortune in order to play up the importance of the concept of love. Watch any scripted show at any time and more than likely you will see a depiction that money is inherently the root of all evil and love is inherently the source of all happiness. The fact that the money only allows these characters the opportunity to make all their selfish desires come true seems lost on them and muted by the show as one-by-one they seek to solve their problems by giving the money back.

Really anything would be better than the slow death-crawl that befalls this series. The show appears bored with itself. The cast appears to all but detest each other. The show is depressing. I'm all for an intelligent, insightful show about the heavy price of fame and fortune, but this will just make you want to chase a bottle of Xanax with a bottle of Jack. "Windfall" just may have sacrificed any chance of pure entertainment to spend an entire series lecturing to us.

* ½ / 4

Great new show!

Author: kylie919 from United States
20 July 2006

Great new show...Lots of unanswered questions at the end of each episode, leaving the viewer anticipating next week's show. Very good acting, including Luke Perry...not 90210's Dylan anymore! There are a few other known actors, but most are fresh faces which adds to the overall "novelty" of the show. A unique storyline, with many characters' lives intertwining with each other in unexpected ways. There's only been a few episodes, but they have already covered murder, blackmail, love, marriage & divorce, human desires and how money has affected everything in these peoples' lives. I hope this one sticks around...it has quickly become a new favorite!

too many characters and everybody has a problem

Author: SnoopyStyle
6 November 2016

Various friends and neighbors attend a party where people contribute a dollar to play the lottery. Sean Mathers works at a flower shop and hiding as a fugitive. He's invited by his boss Beth Walsh and her husband Cameron who are planning to move away for his new job. Peter and Nina Schaefer seems to have a happy family but she's cheating with Cameron who was her ex. Maggie is an overworked struggling nurse. Teen Damien adds a buck at the convenient store. Nina plays Cameron's birth date which ends up winning $386 million. Addie fights with her husband who she's in the process of divorcing. They have teen daughter Frankie. Struggling single mom Kimberly George delivered a pizza and added the extra dollar. Sean does a deal with lawyer Zoe Reida for her to claim the winnings and split the money. She fears his fake identity, a murder, and creepy Jeremy from his past. Damien is underage and can't collect for another ten months. He decides to marry his father's annoying friend's mail-order Russian bride Galina and move away from his disapproving father. Former student Elisa claims to have a baby with Cameron. Sunny van Hattem claims Kimberly's share threatening to tie up everybody's payout. Zoe goes missing and her sister Tally searches for her.

There are way too many characters and everybody has a problem. There is too much going on. It's bad soap and quite frankly whiny. Some of the rich people problems come off as annoying. Some of them are doing down right stupid stuff which gets really frustrating. What's with the baby kidnapping? With so many story lines, it becomes a waste of time waiting to follow the particular characters that one finds appealing. It gets tiresome and got canceled after 13 episodes.

I Miss Windfall!

Author: anbutle1 from United States
26 July 2007

I LOVED Windfall! I disagree with the other poster. I don't remember that much from the pilot, but it wasn't completely horrible. However, the show got SO interesting throughout the rest of the season! I wanted to see how everything would turn out! Also, Luke Perry was NOT the only star in that show! There was Malinda Williams, Jason Gedrick and Tembi Locke.

I found it interesting how the writers connected each character to each other in some way throughout the show. What happened with Damien and Frankie? What about Cameron and Nina? How could they leave us hanging?This show was great! I'm mad that they cancelled it!

Please bring WindFall Back!!!!!

Author: Misshipsg from United States
31 October 2007

I loved this show.I watched it from the first airing to the end.Even video taped it.I would love to see this show air again with more story lines.The best cast ever.It was the most watchable show on my block that summer,every house on the blocked watched it.I remember having our block meetings,boy we could even get started without discussing Windfall.We loved it,and the cast.Is there anyway that this show could be brought back for a second,third and maybe even forth season.We would love it.We would love everyone responsible this if you could make the possible. Sincerely,

Windswept by Windfall,