IMDb > The Strangers (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Strangers

The Strangers More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 71: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Stupid Movie

Author: ApolloBoy109 from United States
18 February 2013

What was this for? What was this about?

As far as I can tell, three psychopaths terrorize two people without reason. The movie is a hunt of humans. The three baddies are always in the right place, never make a mistake, never are harmed.

What is the point?

Forget about acting, direction and story. Three super villains with the best luck of all time get away with murder.

Victim number #1 asks. "Why are you doing this?"

Villain #2. "Cause you were home."

Really? Talk about lazy writing.

Is this what movies have boiled down to? It isn't a movie. Do not waste your time. I pray the screen hack never works again.

Not what I was hoping for.

Author: deatman9 from Canada
26 October 2012

This movie was not was I was expecting or hoping for. Having said that though this movie was actually not bad just a little slow and not very thrilling at times. The actors did a good job though I just thought it could have had a bit more scares and action.

This movie is about a couple staying at a vacation home in the woods. As ther they start being harassed through out the nigh by people in masks. The harassment gets worse as lives start to be held in the balance.

This movie was not bad its just not what I was expecting. I thought it would be a bit scarier but it really wasn't. It kind of went the way of paranormal activity but instead of ghosts they are humans.

Strangely... awful.

Author: carlgjohns from United Kingdom
21 November 2008

I'm not sure exactly which particular audience this film was aiming for, be it Horror, Thriller or... well, what? It hit neither, even though it begged to do so. I'd say it tried to be an admirable attempt to build a sense of tension, but, it didn't. It left me cold, making any sense of routing for the main characters null and void. In fact, I wanted Liv Tyler dead within eighteen minutes of the drudgery that was the non-event of characterisation. Therein lies the problems. A heavy handed script that explained, "Ooh, there's a relationship that's in trouble, but, well, not that much trouble", but did not explain why the Director made you hate them. It wasn't intentional on his part, either. It was his ham fisted way of dealing with the script... which was almost non-existent. Bleak is occasionally cool... If you can pull it off. "A L'Interieur" follows the same structure, and tires you with it's relentlessness. But, with that film, even though you end up wanting to eat sweets and watch cartoons, just to wash the horror off your face, The Strangers just tends to make you want to sleep.

Oh no, don't put on the record player!

Author: revival05 from Sweden
20 November 2008

Watching The Strangers is like watching a sport's game where the team you're rooting for screws it all up and loose big time. It's apparent that they'll loose from the beginning but you won't admit it initially. You forgive the flaws in their playing because you love their style so much, but soon the miss one thing after the other and you start to shout "C'mon! C'mon!" and you mumble "Maybe, maybe, c'mon" but alas, the failure becomes even bigger and you feel all the hope you've invested get destroyed, you start using your worst vocabulary and finally you just go "aaaw screw it, this just sucks".

This movie starts with Kristen (Liv Tyler) and James (Scott Speedman) coming home to his parent's summer house, from a wedding reception. They are not happy. Quietly the scenes progress, they start to talk to each other. They come off a bit like something out of 7th Heaven. He wants to marry her, she actually says that she's "not ready". He drives a Volvo. These two supposed grown-ups start their supposed passionate love-making when there's a knock on the door. And this is where I forgive the first flaw, the lack of distinct characters, because there's this really spooky girl that seems to have gone to the wrong door. Later, James leaves Kristen and the knockings on the door continue. Eventually, it becomes disturbing. Her cell phone is dead, duh, but she puts it on charge, speaking to James not the cops in the standard phone which off course gets dead after a while. This is where I forgive the second flaw. Honey, you can actually dial 911 WHILE the phone is charging, you don't have to wait fifteen minutes. I forgive it because the banging on the door is genuinely freaking me out, I forgive it because writer-director Bryan Bertino has me in his grips, I forgive it because by the time the "strangers" have entered the house, we the audience are aware of it, but not Liv Tyler. For a while there, Bertino holds a line of suspense and manages to push it to limits Hitchcock would have been proud of, it just freaks me out, it's silent, psychological suspense horror when it's at it's classiest. Then boom there's a man with a mask in the window, sort of a gimmicky boogeyman perhaps trying to become a "cult character" like Leatherface or something, and the suspense is just gone. I breathe out and there's nothing left because after that, James returns and starts doing the one stupid thing after the other and the people terrorizing them can have a field day, since our two main characters try their best to put themselves in grave danger.

The unknown invading the zone of domestic safety is a common theme in the horror genre. Or actually, it's really what just about every horror movie is about, but this theme of breaking into the middle-class innocence naturally makes one think of superior films from the 1970's, like Wes Craven's true nightmare Last House on the Left (1972) or his less great but equally important The Hills Have Eyes (1977), and Bertino obviously pays these films a great homage in his debut. But just like Eli Roth's Cabin Fever (2003), the Saw-movies or any other overrated horror film from this decade, he doesn't simply wink at these movies, he uses their structure and duplicates them. It's more or less a rip-off, with the Leatherface-clone I mentioned for instance. It even becomes a problem for Bertino to keep the movie contemporary, it's supposed to take place in modern time but Liv Tyler is dressed up in a flannel shirt and dances around to the country music from her vinyl player. She looks like Laura Prepon, the girl from That 70's Show, and the style becomes just as contrived.

Another huge problem is also how far-fetched the premise of the story becomes, after a while. When you think about it, these outdoor terrorists aren't actually posing any obvious threat to these people, yet they act totally outsmarted and depressed upon everything they do (they write nasty words on the windows, they smash the car up, oh noo THEY PUT ON THE RECORD PLAYER!!). There is a shotgun in the house. As far as I can see, initially, these people aren't even armed. Why not just go out there and shoot them?! I'm no gun spokesman but even I would think that's reasonable! Eventually, it's just Liv Tyler crawling around pathetically defenseless and the last bit of the movie is a boring stretch that leads to the natural, nihilistic-by-numbers-ending that was given in the beginning. Yeah, that's right, we already know in the first minute how this is going to end, but to make the movie even more pointless and unexciting we have to sit through the unlikely story of how two people, who are more defenseless than two old ladies in a barbershop, naturally gets it. "Next time it will be easier" the killers say towards the end. Easier? Who are you going to go after, some guy in a coma? Yeah, easier alright, just pull the plug. Like I wanted to do with this movie.

So bad I had to write this

Author: Fredolow from Malaysia
21 August 2008

It's not very often I can be bothered giving feedback on a movie, because most tend to fall in middle ground i.e. there's very rarely something so good that it deserves a 10, and conversely anything so utterly dreadful it deserves a 1 (or less). Unfortunately this absolute cowpat of a film is the latter.

I had reasonable expectations of this movie. Where I live they spent quite a while advertising it and the early forecast looked okay. How could I have expected something so unoriginal, so poorly written and so atrociously predictable! I could hear other members of the audience laughing under their breath as the whole debacle jumped from one comical scene to another. Words failed me. As things progressed I found myself hoping for some redeeming quality, something unexpected, something new, something to rescue (at least partly) what had gone before. No luck.

In summary, this film is a disaster and not worth the celluloid it's printed on. What a total waste of money and time. How films like this can still get approved in this day and age is beyond me. More fool me for taking the risk and paying to watch it. Once bitten.

This film is silly, pointless and boring

Author: grimm1976 from United States
9 June 2008

Well, the preview looked good, but the movie doesn't deliver. It's creepy...but it's not. The Strangers is not much better than any of the lousy remakes coming out these days. While the killers appear to be interesting, they really aren't. The two main characters have little dialog of any interest and their decision-making skills are sub-par, even for a slasher flick, which the Strangers really isn't. What the director almost creates in mood and atmosphere, quickly loses weight with the tedious repetition of the same old suspense sequences over and over again, with little deviance. While the teenie-boppers will enjoy the 'jumps' of this movie, there is no substance to the overall suspense. The ending is a lame effort at defeating an anticipated climactic ending, which left me feeling extremely jipped. My expectations were neither high or low for this particular film, so I entered it with an open mind. I was disappointed at the lack of any development on the part of the killers,(or the victims for that matter) who had potential to really steal the show. Instead, they just sort of appear, disappear and re-appear and then at the end do nothing to vindicate their entire efforts at tormenting their victims. I'm glad to see there are a few others on here that didn't buy into this sorry excuse for a movie, because I actually feel sorry for those who enjoyed it. And I feel sorry for anyone who has paid the theater admission to see it and know, whole-heartedly, that based on it's previews, people will still pay their hard earned cash to see it, despite any negative reviews.

Pitiful and predictable

Author: Dub from Texas
8 June 2008

Now I must begin by telling you that I am not a fan of the contemporary horror genre. Too many of the latest movie makers believe that blood and gore equate to horror and terror. WRONG!! In my opinion it takes a very clever movie maker to create a great horror movie...creating a feeling and anticipation of horror and terror without truly taking the short cut by replacing intelligent movie making with blood and gore. SO, when I read about this movie I thought OK, maybe this will be the movie to change my mind on the "new" semi-intelligent movie makers. I was *so* wrong about this movie. Granted the blood and gore is kept to a minimum but come on guys at least give us some character development, a plot line, create the illusion that you actually have the ability and creativity to make a quality film.

The supposed horror and terror plot points are nothing more than the old standbys..."open the door or curtain and *boom* there is a shocking face...or "hey, what's that noise" kind of kindergarten terror routines. When a truly gifted and creative movie maker makes a truly creative horror movie then perhaps I will become a fan of the genre again. But this movie is not that movie. All of these mediocre movies are prime material for the "Scary Movie" producers!

Stay Away from Strangers

Author: elwbuckeye from Japan
8 June 2008

I wanted to like this movie. I wanted to be scared. I wanted to close my eyes and wait for the scary part to be over. The only problem is that the movie wasn't scary. Actually, there were many more problems. I'll list the ones I noticed:

1. What was the point of the 911 call at the beginning? The voice was a woman's voice but the people who found the bodies were two young boys.

2. These events were inspired by true events. That is a sack of sh**. If I go fishing and see a whale, then write Moby Dick, I can say the book was inspired by true events.

3. Why the whole marriage proposal storyline? Did it add anything to the movie?

4. Why didn't the two victims just run down the road to get away?

5. The two victims constantly try and hide from the Strangers. Inevitably, one of the strangers looks, gives up and walks away. The audience is supposed to believe they victims are safe then....WHAMMO...a stranger pops out.

6. What was the point of the trips to the barn? To use a radio and call for help? This is a horror movie cliché.

7. The two victims keep splitting up and saying "Stay There! Hide!" Meanwhile, the strangers are busy writing horrifying messages in lipstick or blood all over the walls.

8. The ending is just insane. No point at all. If it was supposed to be scary or disturbing, it fell way short on both counts.

Wait for this on video. Don't even rent it. Sign up with Netflix and get a bunch of movies one month so you don't pay more than $1 for this.

Pretty good suspense film

Author: ashley_md7 from United States
6 June 2008

I have to admit, before going to see 'The Strangers', I really didn't know what to expect. The previews were okay, but the fact that Liv Tyler was in this movie was the main thing that sold me. The opening of the movie gave you enough character depth to gain some kind of attachment to the main characters, without overloading you with redundant and arbitrary information you don't need to enjoy a horror movie. The plot, overall, is actually pretty realistic compared to some of the horror films out today that are just plain stupid (The Hills Have Eyes, anyone?), and the film definitely has several moments where you jump out of your seat (even if in the back of your mind you KNOW what's about to happen). The movie does have a few cliché moments (that's to be expected in ALL horror/suspense films), has a few refreshingly new ideas, and the directors definitely pull off the suspense with their distinct absence of music at many suspenseful parts, and "up" the eerie quite a bit when old folk/country records are playing loudly in the house during some of the scenes. If you're into a lot of blood and gore movies, this is NOT for you; there are very few bloody scenes in this, but enough to satisfy and creep out the majority of people. My only complaint was the very ending, which only caused people to scoff as they left the theater. My rating is 6/10, but would have been higher if it would have had a better ending (I imagine that the directors are setting up for a sequel). Not a bad movie at all!

The Suckers

Author: (Brandonhanna@ymail.com) from United States
5 November 2008

That's the title for everyone that paid money to see this...umm crap! Oh my god, I love horror but I wasted a hour and half of my life watching this mess. I have to say the best part of this movie was when I had to get up and pee. I can not believe anyone would accept this as any sort of art or film making. I will sum it up right now for you; the whole movie was one very long death seen from Friday the 13th. Half way through the movie....umm no not half way 15 min. into the movie I was saying, "Jason please come to my rescue and kill these Bi^^hes!"Sorry for everyone that enjoyed this "movie" but ya'll really need to get out more. There are much better horror films out there. And before anyone says it, opions are like a$$holes everyone has one. Mine is getting wiped with this DVD.