IMDb > The Strangers (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Strangers

The Strangers More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 69: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Warning, BAD FILM

Author: drkpenguin from United States
28 December 2008

Well, the only good thing was that they were killed. The guy didn't know how to load a shotgun? C'mon! Not to mention he put all the shells in his jacket pockets, then HE TOOK HIS JACKET OFF and left it in the bedroom! The shotgun apparently is a retarded model because he kept reloading after every other shot.

Instead of hiding in the closet with his girlfriend and the shotgun pointed at the door, lets run amock, get hurt, and when the situation turns bad, lets split up i'll go into the dreary dark shack 100 yards away from the house, and leave you alone in the un-secured house.

They deserved what they got.

Totally Sucked

Author: kelly irvin from United States
8 June 2008

I had high hopes for this movie. I saw it today and have to admit, I am thoroughly disappointed. In the beginning of the film, the dynamic between the couple is revealed--but did it need to drag on and on and on and on? I don't want to give too much away, but after 10 minutes, we get that they are "unhappy." Must this point be driven into the ground? The intense, dramatic parts also dragged on and on and on. The "strangers" took an awful long time to get busy. It was just awful, not a type of anticipation awful, just plain irritation awful.I was so anxious for this movie to end I almost could not contain myself. Yes, there were shocking parts, but the manor in which the scenes were displayed were simply over kill. It made me want to scream, "Alright, already. Get on with the thing!" The very last seconds of the film made me say out loud, "Yeah, right!" It was so ridiculous. If you're into drawn out slashers films, this one's for you. If you prefer simply a good movie, don't waste your money.

Predictable, typical, and not original at all

Author: petahmon from United States
31 May 2008

I went in to this movie expecting to see a good quality scary movie. A movie that was that made you really scared, but also had a decent story line (not like most of the scary movies that have recently been released).

I thought this movie was horrible. It practically had no story and didn't explain anything that was going on. It was just two hours of a couple being chased around by killers in masks who have no motivation to be killing them in the first place.

The movie was just scene after scene of the main characters running away while the killers followed them with axes and knives. It's no different from any of the other low quality horror films, and should definitely not be compared to The Shining or Psycho like some people have done.

If you want to see mindless horror or people being hacked at by axes, then you should go see this. If you want to see a high quality, creative, original horror film, then don't waste your money on this movie

Overdone

Author: m-rugen from United States
31 May 2008

This comment definitely contains spoilers, so, do what you gotta do.

Okay, I'm all for the horror genre. I am a fan of Rob Zombie's Halloween which seemed to get bad reviews overall, so you would think I'd be a fan of The Strangers: wrong. Although there were some good points such as the isolation of the home and when James shot Mike (granted you saw it coming, but regardless it was still original), the movie had countless flaws that I could not see past to give this movie higher than a 4. My favorite part, however, was when Kristen poured herself a glass of water and you see the Man in the Mask in the background.

1. The blip in the beginning of the movie contradicted the ending.

2. It started off really slow and the two flashbacks were unnecessary.

3. When Kristen escaped the shed, why was the 'stranger' not immediately following her given the fact that she was crawling away? 4. There were at least five times where a 'stranger' or even Kristen/James themselves popped in out of nowhere to give the audience a scare (even though at the 9:55 showing at Farmingdale Multiplex everybody decided to scream THEN laugh at those moments), which is why I considered the movie overdone.

5. The beginning of the movie resembled Vacancy too much (which was a pretty good movie in my eye) given the fact that Kristen and James had tension between each other.

6. The ending (1): The chicks take the brochure from the Mormon's and as they get back in the car one of girls states "next time will be easier." May I ask why? 7. The ending (2): Why end the movie with Liv Tyler alive (hence the contradiction of the beginning) for that final scream to get the audience to jump? Just felt unnecessary to me.

There are a few other points I could post as to why I dislike this movie, but I'm sure you get the idea.

Now I get to look forward to Hancock and The Incredible Hulk :D

Half a movie

Author: bennyhagen from Hungary
2 September 2010

The first 45 minutes are quite intense, the whole setup just works fine and the simple but effective cinematography is nice to watch. Though I was not really convinced by Speedman's attempt to reflect intense emotions, you can always rely on Liv Taylor, who is - given a rather thin piece of script - really working her ass off to get the most out of it. Congratulations for that. The mocking "Strangers" start off being quite scary and the concept seems to be somewhat more original then we probably got used too, so it all seems like we're going to have a good time, but then suddenly everything freezes in the most inelegant manner, as the makers seemingly just ran out of any kind of idea how to continue this promising movie. That means, there is almost literally NOTHING new happening from around minute 45, it feels writer and director Bryan Bertino had half a decent script and then needed to finish it in about 2 hours due to a deadline or something. So the other 45 minutes are basically prolonging 2 jump scares and 3 lines of really basic dialog with minimum creativity, like lights turning off and the after a few minutes on again for no obvious reason, till the point where some kind of climax should occur, which then never really happens. Instead we get something really unrefined and boring featuring not a bit of fantasy, it's just like no one really cared anymore.

I'd recommend though watching the first half of the movie and then striding around in some dark forest for a while, that surely does the job much better. 4/10

Not one scary moment.... dull and long

Author: bitchyrita from United States
16 March 2009

"The strangers" has got to be one of the most boring horror movies I ever saw. It is so slow and then when something happens, like a door knock or a sound of metal outside, you ask yourself "is that it? That's all?" That's not scary, that's just lame timing and lame excuse for trying to make stuff suspenseful.

The movie starts out with the couple returning home, they're in a bad mood and nothing happens for something like 20 minutes, just a few predictable flashbacks. Then there's a knock on the door and it's some girl looking for "tamara", obviously a trick to see who is home. We saw that coming, no surprise. And then the guy goes out to get cigarettes for Liv Tyler, by the time he comes back she's already nearly had a breakdown. After that the three strangers toy with them and finally kill the couple. This is like a boring bad version of "Funny Games" which was at least scary and tense, even if it wasn't that great either.

Final thought, this is a very boring film, badly written, and even though Liv Tyler is just almost okay, it has pretty bad acting and little to offer in scares.

The Joys of Sadism

Author: jacklmauro from United States
25 October 2012

Can we finally acknowledge that horror films have largely turned into another genre, that of sadism? There is a huge difference between film bloodshed and gore that is a part of a horrific/suspenseful scenario, and that which is done so the audience can watch people undergo agony, as in the 'Hostel' franchise. I can't take it. It is not scary; it's just disgusting. As in this film. Take away the idiot decisions about the gun, going outside, leaving your girl alone in an isolated home after a freak comes by, calling for help, etc., and there's the making for good, scary suspense. Turn it into an exercise in extended sadism, and it's purely gratuitous in a disturbing way. Do people actually think it's 'scary' or 'suspenseful' to watch the girl beg for her life, as she sees her guy stabbed and stabbed? It's not. It's unrelenting misery and there's something way wrong with anyone who thinks it's good filmmaking. The strangers were extremely terrifying, and there are psychopaths out there. But this nightmare of torture and sadism is NOT a great scary movie (which I love as a genre), or suspenseful. It's mean and ugly, and what scares me is how torture is the new horror.

The Strangers Video Game! (a.k.a How stupid can stupid be?) - (Spoilers)

Author: IMDB Reviews from Córdoba
12 October 2008

You play either a bad guy or Liv Retard, a mentally challenged person/victim. Liv Retard is attacked randomly by three very creepy people in masks. But fear not, they're mentally challenged too! The point of this game is to find out who needs more help.

Scoring system: When sh1t starts to happen the scoring system gets activated, gain points by: Calling your unarmed, wussy boyfriend instead of 911, keep talking about random stuff till the bad guys cut your phone line If you're a bad guy bang randomly on your victim's door at 4AM and scare the living daylights out of them before you think of disabling their phones. Yes, they may have a cellphone which isn't charged (you don't know that) but what you do know is that your victim has the intelligence of a barnyard pig, that evens things out.

Back to the victim: Start mumbling "This isn't happening, this isn't happening" to try and make it all stop. Alternatively scream "Go Away!" because the attackers are equally stupid and just might take you up on your offer.

When your main door mysteriously creaks open go straight to it but don't shut it immediately, wait for the bad person to peekaboo you in a mask. Now that you've scored shut the door! While running around the house randomly try to knock everything down, silence is not a virtue, make as much noise as possible. Randomly fidget with household devices and break them for bonus points. Lamps need to be smashed, not switched off - every idiot knows that.

(Bad guy) Now that the victims know it's life or death and have got themselves a shotgun, roam around aimlessly in well lit areas of their property. Because, every victim needs a second chance.

(Good guy) If you discover your car's been completely smashed up and broken into go sit in it. When someone taps your shoulder look everywhere but in the back seat. Yes, you have the butcher's knife in your hand but that's strictly for kitchen use, not for attacking bad people who break into your house and tap you randomly.

(Liv Retard) Sneak up behind your scared sh1tless boyfriend and whack his shoulders hard to show him you've missed him.

(Liv Retard) Don't wait for the bad guys to hurt you, self-help is the best help. If running into furniture isn't enough make sure you hold a knife by the blade and squeeze! (Good guy) When all else fails and you suspect a horrible death awaits you in your house take off your tie and slowly dress the one inch cut on your girlfriend's palm that isn't bleeding. Philosophize about why sh1tty things are happening to you. Do all this in slow-motion, because remember folks, the point of the game is to be stupid! When a bad guy in a Ford truck is about to tail end you, stare at him for a good 30 seconds before getting distracted by a guy in a mask 20 meters away from you. Driving off or getting out of the car on time gets you a penalty.

If you have a shotgun in your hands and the bad guy is chopping up your door with an axe (the door has been breached multiple times but that's not the point, the dude has an AXE!) - ignore shotgun, block door with grand piano.

(Bad guys) Painting nonsensical messages in lipstick all over the vic's house or playing his country records gets a few points.

(Good guy) After you accidentally shoot your best friend don't bother to reload, instead start banging the walls and crying coz maybe the guy in your house with an axe will think twice about messing with you then. Roam around your house a good few minutes before reloading. Reloading is a bad thing and attracts severe penalties! (Liv Retard) When you do get to a radio don't say your name and address - say "Helllllpppppppppppppppppp meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" instead in an ominous voice, draw out both words as long as possible for maximum points.

Take a final parting shot at stupidity when you're lying on the floor stabbed multiple times, scare the hell out of your son by screaming in his face! (Bad guy) When Liv Retard asks you "Why are you doing this?" don't say anything menacing, instead answer, "Because you're stupid!"

horrifying

Author: emailsabbi from United States
11 June 2008

this was the worst movie of all time. i never want to watch another horror movie again. where were they? what happens? do the killers just keep going off killing people? who are they? why did random ass kids just pop up at the end? seriously, just stop. whoever wrote this is so bad. this is an example of how directors and producers try to be "simple" and "creative" its like, no. stop trying and actually just make a film that is fun. horror movies are supposed to be scary, not dumb. this movie should be taken off the screen immediately. i was seriously ready to walk out and sneak into another movie. from the beginning to the end, you knew what was gonna happen and honestly, you don't care. don't see this for your own safely.

Terrible

Author: yanksfan4202003 from United States
5 June 2008

The movie was straight up terrible. It was incredibly boring and unoriginal. On top of that the acting was unrealistic and terribly dry. The script was just as bad, being terribly lame and unreal...people just wouldn't say things like they did or act in those ways given the circumstances!! The whole movie is just the two main characters running around in circles, crawling across clearly lit fields, being chased by masked murderers, except there are 3 murderers and they are on a small plot of land. They also bring up things and then never develop them throughout the movie. In the middle of all this, i found my mind wandering all over the place because it was just that uninteresting. They could have cut out 90% of the movie. It wasn't even scary. I work in a theater, and usually i can laugh at teen "horror" flicks, but this was no joke the worst movie i have ever seen.