IMDb > Space Chimps (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Space Chimps

Space Chimps More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Nothing special, nothing memorable, but it's cute for the kids

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
21 July 2008

When I saw the trailer for Space Chimps, I honestly thought it looked cute and fun, also they mentioned that it was made by the same folks who did Shrek, so I figured that it was going to be gold. I was first off a little surprised that it didn't do so hot at the box office, not only that, but it has a pretty low rating here on IMDb. I was thinking how this movie was probably awful, but how could it be? It's an animation film, so I still wanted to see it, I checked it out today and honestly, it's not a 4.4 rating movie, I think people are being a little too harsh on it. I agree that it's nothing special, but it's a cute movie that had it's moments. Opening the same weekend as The Dark Knight and Mamma Mia, we needed a good hearted film for the family as well, and Space Chimps does deliver on that.

Ham is a chimp who is the grandson of a famous chimp astronaut who was the first chimp in space. When there is possible life found on another planet, three scientists decide to experiment and instead of risking human life, the send out the chimps including Ham to space to find the alien life form. Ham, Luna, and Titon are sent out into space, but Ham isn't taking it seriously, constantly joking around, hitting on Luna, Titon constantly taking credit for everything. When they do land on the planet, they meet some interesting creatures and have to save the planet since one alien, Zartog, wants to take over.

Space Chimps isn't a bad movie, it's just nothing special, I'd recommend waiting for the rental. It's a cute movie thought for the little ones. But I did enjoy a few scenes, I loved the line Titon says to Ham "Are you David Bowie?"... you'll have to see what I mean, but there are some cute and fun moments. The animation is so-so, the voices are decent, except some moments seemed a little stereotypical and cliché. But as a family kid movie, I would say that this is a go, just don't expect anything like Shrek.

Save your money!

Author: heller1120 from North Carolina
19 July 2008

I just took my 4 year old boy to see this movie and we left shortly before it was over. We were not the only ones to leave early either. Only once was there any laughter from the audience. I thought most of the punch lines were aimed at the adult audience, but no one was laughing. I was very disappointed that there wasn't any moral to the story - if there was, it was vague. The characters were not all that likable either. I didn't feel any connection to them at all, nor did my son. I left the theater thinking that this was the biggest waste of time and money. Space Chimps is no Shrek. This has to be the worst G-rated movie I have ever seen. My son thought it was very boring and he usually loves action/adventure movies. The only thing he liked about the whole experience was the pack of Twizzlers I bought him.

Space Chimps - Is it really that bad? Maybe!

Author: Roadblock67 from United States
27 July 2008

i went into this movie blind. i had seen the trailer once and had not heard any critiques on it. i think Space Chimps won't set any benchmarks as a great animation flick - it was only so-so. to greamamerican, you've completely confused me by saying the first 30 minutes was boring, but in the same post you say you left after 10 minutes. numbers don't add up there bud. but that aside, you have to give the movie a chance. no, it won't grow on you - and more than likely you'll leave as i did thinking 'something was missing'. yes, the main character Ham can be extremely annoying and Titan seems like a recycled Buzz Lightyear but... what am i saying there is no but - this movie was not good. save it for a rental on family movie night - but don't spend your hard earned cash at the theater to see it.

Just didn't do it for me...

Author: Arji (2515@joeys.org) from Australia
19 July 2008

I can say for most viewers in my cinema by their -sighs-, that Space Chimps was a led down. Although SOME bits were "almost" half-funny, most of the movie was portrayed through dull characters and not such a good storyline.

The disappointing thing was, that this movie could of had so much more to give and un-tapped potential, but instead was just a let down for me.

Personally, this movie would not be entertaining for most people above the age of 15+, yet more for families with their little kids.

Overall, it was a mediocre, and should be viewed by either kids, or people that like repeated jokes, and already used story lines. Rated 5/10

A Nutshell Review: Space Chimps

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
17 August 2008

I'm going to admit that I've enjoyed Space Chimps. No, I've not gone bananas, but there's something beautiful to this goofy animated comedy that appealed, perhaps in its simplicity and its not attempting to try and be more than it cannot be.

Ham III (voiced by Andy Samberg). a circus monkey whose the key to the "monkey cannonball" act, happens to be the descendant of its decorated ancestor Ham I, the first monkey to have entered outer space. As NASA does send animals early in their history of missions to perform certain tests, and more so as guinea pigs, their current space programme is under threat of being axed, unless of course the scientists can all prove their worth. Just so happens that a space probe gets send to the opposite side of a wormhole, that it presents an opportunity to send a crack team of animals to the other side as well to test waters, hence the assembly of our merry animals.

You have Ham III, the reluctant astronaut put into the team for some PR purpose, who joins the usual caricatures of team captain and beefcake Titan, as well as beautiful Luna, who provides the brains for the mission and cursory love interest for our protagonist chimp. On the ground, besides the wacky human scientists who always deny their nerd status, you have Comet and Houston, fellow chimps who provide ground expertise to our crew's mission in space. Truth is, and a departure in animated movies of late, this one is sans big name stars or voice talent, and doesn't detract you away from the story, nor have one talent steal the thunder from the rest. Like a well oiled space mission, Space Chimps is and plays out like a consolidated team effort.

The adversary they face are a group of silly aliens under the control of Zartog, who consolidated his power no thanks to the human space probe by hitting the manual override button, as well as various environmental challenges reminiscent of the latest Journey to the Center of the Earth, and provides ample opportunity for some pretty wacky characters, with set action pieces like swinging from vine to vine, making more sense here when compared to that in The Crystal Skull.

The graphics here are kept simple and uncomplicated. It's easy to find fault with so many things in this movie, given the likes of Pixar which has set the benchmark, but as I've said, I'm not looking for too much, and the simplicity of it all in Space Chimps makes it a refreshing breath of fresh air. The story at times might find itself hard pressed to throw in some wisecracks on pop culture, but there are indeed moments to have it in the movie so subtly, you'll probably blink and you miss it. If you're willing to leave your 1% intellect at the door, perhaps you may just enjoy this movie about primates that exhibit similar emotions and attributes to our own.

One Can See Why This Bombed At The Box-Office

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
5 October 2009

Have you seen movies that almost wore you out after 45 minutes? Im talking about too much action, too much bickering and yelling between people, too much happening the screen, too loud.....just too much. You want to cry, "enough, already....give us a few lulls!" That's how found this cute-at-first animated film which starts off great but quickly spirals into the "too much" category and never lets go. Maybe I'm just too old for this sort of thing; maybe this is what five or ten-year-olds want....but I'm not surprised this animated film wasn't a hit - with adults or some kids.

Don't get wrong: there are a number of funny lines in here, the animation is great in spots, and some of the characters (i.e. "Kilowatt") are very appealing. It's just that the film feels rushed, right from the start. One can never just settle down and enjoy the stories, character and artwork. This story needed more lulls.

It also need less ("wink" "wink") inside, pretentious remarks by the writers, who tried too hard to get their PC agendas in here throughout. The "heroes," the space chimps, were always bickering among themselves. That led to some funny put-down lines but also got tiring, too, after almost an hour of it. The villain, "Zartog," meanwhile, was just plain stupid. Nobody that silly/dumb, even in science fiction, could rule anyone.

In all, it was just too disjointed and too frenetic - all the while being predictable - to enjoy. Although only 80 minutes in length, I found myself often checking how much time was left in the film.

Horrible, horrible movie.

Author: motorhead85021 from United States
22 July 2008

We just got back from seeing this movie, and I still can't believe how bad it actually was.

I think my daughter chuckled once. I simply looked on in horror. The plot was awful. The aliens looked like they were scooped up from the cutting room floor of an old Barbie movie. Even the awesome Patrick Warburton was hopeless in this movie. I don't know what he was doing here. He must've bought a new summer home. They had things in this movie, I think they were supposed to be jokes, simply awful.

Sample Dialog: Boy monkey: "Follow me." Girl monkey: "Roger that!" Boy monkey: "Who's Roger? Is it serious?"

This may have been the worst movie I've ever seen in my life. Stay far away, you have been warned.

p.s. The fact that Mr. Ebert gave this movie 3 stars is the final proof that it's time for that wonderful man to hang it up.

Our whole family loved it.

Author: stevex-8 from Canada
23 February 2009

Some pretty harsh comments about this movie and I don't know why. As an adult I found it funny and Titan was cast perfectly.

There was even a good message or two and some well camouflaged adult type humor in there. We liked it and we would buy it. One or two things in the show almost raised a red flag (ie: scary cave monster), but it wasn't that bad. I say enjoy!

Some of my favorite parts were with the rocket-scientists though and a little more investigation into the cast reveals some interesting characters. I gave this an 8 out of 10 and maybe I was feeling a little generous but it made me laugh.

Kids Loved It

Author: stan-oliver7 from London
31 March 2010

I rented it for my 3 kids to watch. They range in age 5, 8, and 11. All 3 were fully entertained! They always have to check out any movie with chimps as the main characters-- and although animated, they laughed throughout. The graphics weren't the best out there but the jokes made up for it. There is something for everyone. Boys and girls will enjoy it. The character of kilowatt is one of the cutest I've ever seen. And the lead of Ham has some off beat jokes you'd probably find in more adult comedies. It's the kind of movie you'll feel good after watching it. I didn't recognize any of the actors as "big names" but it was still entertaining. Check it out with the kiddos!

Talking about fast plot

Author: neftaliw from Mexico
1 October 2008

Wow!!!! I think this movie is funny, but not very funny. It looks like they had this huge story to run but they were short in time, everything went way to fast, there wasn't even time to laugh at a joke because in was one thing to the other, come on even things that usually take hours or days in this movie happens in half of minute (like building a rocket). Also some of the characters weren't well animated, they had very robotic movements and the aliens' skin looks so unreal (I know, they're unreal but they look like plastic!!!!) Also there where some major spoofs, for example they use geothermal energy from a volcano that doesn't have lava but a strange freezing liquid. Anyways, I think it's an OK movie, I've seen worse, and at least is OK for the whole family to watch.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]