IMDb > It's a Boy Girl Thing (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
It's a Boy Girl Thing

It's a Boy Girl Thing More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Completely surprised by how much I enjoyed this film.

Author: ukstevejames from Manchester
31 December 2006

When " A Night At The Museum" was sold out at my local multiplex, I reluctantly purchased a ticket for "Boy Girl Thing". The reviews that I read were fairly miserable and I was expecting a clunker.

I was completely surprised by how brilliant it was. Hilariously funny. Surprisingly moving. Great soundtrack. I was completely hooked by the journey that Nell and Woody went on in each other's bodies. I think both Kevin Zegers and Samaire Armstrong are the stars of tomorrow. They might have been a little old for their roles, but it didn't matter. I was completely caught up in their journey. Even Sharon Osbourne made me giggle.

It won't win any awards, but if you are looking more light-hearted fare that leaves you with a smile on your face, it's a complete winner.

I guess it really shows what stupid idiots critics can be.

Fun, high school movie with a surprisingly emotionally ending.

Author: Rocket-Pictures from United Kingdom
7 December 2006

I have to admit first that I am a fan of this genre, although when I went in I was expecting something pretty run-of-the-mill. However, this is no teen B-movie but is actually a really funny premise and has a story with a surprising amount of emotional depth. I'm surprised no-one has made a movie about this before, but they haven't. It seems quite an obvious premise. A boy and girl who despise each other, end up swapping bodies and are thus forced to deal with each other's lives. It's like Freaky Friday but with a bit more edge and all the adolescent teen stuff which is what keeps it fresh. Whilst this stuff is funny it is the love story that really gets you and I was amazed to find myself getting emotionally drawn into the characters. Not often I say that about an American teen movie. Only negative is Sharon Osbourne who kind of pulls you out of the movie a bit, but other than a satisfying movie experience and a really pleasant surprise.

Very Funny, Better than other body swap movies

Author: mark_danby from United Kingdom
27 December 2006

We have had several body swap movies but this one offers something that is a little different. It is very funny but at the same time has characters that you believe in and care for.

This film gets plenty of laughs out of the sexual differences that other body swap movies have not dared to explore but don't think that this film is full of cheap jokes because it is not. There is so much more to this movie that it should appeal to all. The sound track is also excellent and a good cameo role for Sharon Osbourn.

The target audience is the teen market but I think everyone can fine something to enjoy in this film.

I went with my wife and two children aged 10 and 12, my wife through it was funnier than White Chicks and they also approved by saying we should purchase the DVD when released.

Fun, and funny - with just the right dose of message

Author: intelearts from the big screen
16 November 2007

Body swap movies are nothing new and here the premise is the same; what raises it above are the two central perfromances which are strong and the overall sense of fun mixed with some good tackling of stereotypes...

While pretty much forgettable, while watching we found it fun and charming and full of the right kinds of energies.

If you've got young teenagers but still want a film you can all watch - and aren't embarrassed by the sexual innuendo that runs through this - then this is not a bad choice.

Watchable.

Enjoyable Entertainment

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
23 November 2008

The next door neighbors Nell Bedworth (Samaire Armstrong) and Woody Deane (Kevin Zegers) have opposite behaviors and hate each other: the virgin geek Nell is polite, sensitive and well-prepared to go to Yale, while Woody is rude and his greatest expectation is to join a mediocre university due to his abilities playing football. When Nell and Woody are assigned to visit together a museum, they argue in front of the statue of an Aztec god. During the night, their souls swap bodies, bringing difficult situations to them. They first try to damage the reputation of the other in the high-school, but sooner they discover that their dream of joining college would only happen with mutual respect and support.

There are many movies of swapping bodies; therefore "It's a Boy Girl Thing" is not original. However this predictable story is very funny and this movie is an enjoyable entertainment. Samaire Armstrong and Kevin Zegers show a great chemistry and have excellent performances. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Coisas de Meninos e Meninas" ("Things of Boys and Girls")

Reivew of It's a Boy Girl Thing

Author: buffy_star from United States
29 December 2006

This movie was actually really good Kevin Zegers done a great he was really believable you could really see the difference from when he was a guy and when he was the girl and Samaire Armstrong was amazing also loved the man walk. It was kind of typical story line, a mix of Hot Chick and Freaky Friday I'd say,nothing new, what makes this movie stand from others is the chemistry they had on screen, they worked well together which made the movie so much better. The only think I disliked was the fact that Sharon Osbourne was the mother, she seems like a great person, but I don't think she's a great actor some scenes made me cringe, they should have cast someone else. But overall I was impressed.

A Nutshell Review: It's a Boy Girl Thing

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
6 July 2008

I know what you're saying. There are countless of movies out there involving body switches, either parental-kid (like Lindsay Lohan and Jamie Lee Curtis in Freaky Friday), and cross- gender, be it deliberate (like Amanda Bynes in She's The Man) or through inexplicable supernatural occurrence (like Jack Neo's Just Follow Law, or The Hot Chick starring Rob Schneider and Rachel McAdams). Whatever the case is, it seems that such stories still can find a market and a demand, otherwise they wouldn't be made, will they? And comedies which arise from such situations almost always seem to recycle some jokes, removing plenty of lustre from what could have been funny, but not so, because of familiarity with the subject matter.

Surprisingly, It's a Boy Girl Thing still worked, for me at least. Sure, it had the usual jokes with respect to changing and getting used to the new bodies, taking advantage of the change to get chummy with the boys/girls with ulterior motives, and doing everything just wrong deliberately so as to get back at the person whose body you now possess. But what this one had, was plenty of heart, pounding on the universal theme of empathy, of not being able to fully understand someone, until you get under their skin and walk around in it, in which case this movie of course took things literally.

Samaire Armstrong stars as Nell Bedworth, who's into literature, and whose snooty, prim and proper parents are holding their hopes of her daughter getting into Yale. Her neighbour is school quarterback jock Woody Deane (Kevin Zegers), whose family is pretty much of the average joe, laissez faire type, whose dream for their son is to work at a sweatshop from 9 to 5. Naturally the school jock has a minor aspiration different from his parent's expectation, and that is to score a college education through football.

It's no rocket science that the two of them don't get along, and as the opening credits illustrate, they get on each other's nerves ever so often, that some ancient god decide to play a prank on them by switching their bodies. Thus unleashing pandemonium in their lives as they have to grapple with living in a foreign body, as well as to ensure that they stay on their respective course to pursue their dreams. It also becomes the usual opposite attracts story, starting with their adversary with each other, to the inevitable finale, but what indeed was marvelous here, were the little scenes crafted where they have to begin to lean more about each other, and to gain each other's trust.

What I felt helped the movie was its decision to junk a lot of unnecessary subplots that usually bloat such movies, to just keep it simple and very focused, delivering almost every time it called for a punchline, or during non-comedic moments with serious drama, while laying off the melodramatics. Simple words uttered, simple actions made, spoke loads and went the mile. The chemistry between Samaire Armstrong and Kevin Zegers worked wonders too, whether they're playing it straight, or playing each other's characters, and sometimes there are situations where you just have to do a double take to put things into their correct perspective.

If there should be a gripe, it would be the jarring edit made for an NC16 rating. This is one movie that didn't fear getting into the politically incorrect field, filled with nudity and plenty of coarse language, which I thought was somewhat of an adults-only version of a genre done so many times. And if you're a fan of rap and hip-hop, then you'll probably find yourself grooving to the soundtrack from Eminem to the Black Eyed Peas.

This movie comes recommended. It's not perfect, but it was jolly good fun.

A fun clever adult teen rom com

Author: glennondaniel from United Kingdom
26 October 2006

After reading the synopsis of the film my hopes were not high. It sounded like a cross between the awful The Girl Next Door and the (plot overused) Freaky Friday.

I was very pleasantly surprised. This is the best teen film I've seen since Mean Girls. The script takes a shop worn plot and enlivens it with decidedly adult jokes that will push it firmly into R rated territory. It also manages to entwine several teen movie clichés - the former enemies falling in love, climactic ball game where the "hero" saves the day, prom night fantasy, first love - and makes it work in a way that seems fresh.

The film would not work if it were not for the gifted comic playing of Samaire Armstrong and particularly the lovely Kevin Zegers. Zegers proved he had acting chops beyond his good (and my they are good) looks in Transamerica and here he proves himself a talented and versatile physical comedian.

Even Sharon Osbourne, admittedly in an undemanding supporting role, is pretty good.

This is perfect fluffy date movie stuff with a bit more bite than the average. Anyone who loved NEVER BEEN KISSED will love this.

Been done before, and better. Likable cast, movie has appeal for 14 year-olds

Author: bopdog from Great Pacific Northwest
26 December 2006

The actors are mostly likable. The plot is amiable enough too. Thing is, it's been done before, and done much better. Consider Debbie Reynolds and Toni Curtis in 'Goodbye Charlie' (1964), or the Steve Martin, Lily Tomlin masterpiece, 'All of Me', where he acts out the movie while being possessed by a woman. Or one-hit-wonder Joyce Hyser's 'Just One of the Guys', where she becomes a guy (I forget why). Or the semi-good 'The Hot Chick', with the creepy Rob Schneider and the ever-so-hot babe, Anna Farris. All those movies explored the notion of girls and boys living in each other's bodies. Weener jokes, 'Hey, I got tits!' jokes, stumbling in high heels, 'delicate flower' young ladies belching at the formal dinner table, etc., etc. There is even a cinemagraphic grammar about that whole thing by now.

Not to say there wasn't some appeal here. The cast is likable. Although the dude did seem really, really gay, even when he was not being possessed by a girl, but supposedly his own male self. I couldn't tell the difference. But the young woman actor who had to play a guy trapped in a girl's body managed really well. But there was also the obligatory black guy side kick, bitchy bimbo girl rivals, an unsympathetic 'Desperate Housewives' type mom, and cool slob parents, played by Sharon Osbourne (yaaay!) and Maury Chaykin (also yaay, but for different reasons).

All in all, nothing 'wrong'. Nothing unpleasant nor unlikeable. Just kind of shallow, and very derivative. There was a group of what seemed to be 14 year old kids sitting up in the back of the movie theater I attended, and they laughed and oohed and ahhhed a little bit at some lame-ish jokes. Well, great! I hope they liked it. But I suspect that they are probably the major audience that would find this movie appealing or interesting. And that's OK. I gave it a 5 out of 10--- nothing bad, but also nothing great... just ordinary.

compared to what passes as comedy in the USA....

Author: An_Hedonic from New Orleans, LA, USA
1 August 2007

It's a Boy Girl Thing is a blooming masterpiece! Even without comparing it to US movies it's still a funny, intelligent, and even moving film.

I've read several negative remarks about how many references are made to male/female anatomy but they weren't gratuitous or as overdone as some have said. If you woke up in the body of the opposite gender wouldn't you be a tad surprised and dwell on the differences? Woody can't believe he has tits and Nell is terrified by the strange object sticking up in the middle of her bed. Even the last reference to anatomy is amusing since Woody's biological functions take hold while he's physically close to Nell and he, as Nell, is disgusted by the fact of adolescent erections. Come on, guys, we all know what it was like as a teenager when an embarrassing thing just popped up, so to speak, at the wrong time.

Sure body swap movies have been done but so have a zillion other genres. It's a Boy Girl Thing can hold its own with similar fare. Samaire Armstrong is especially good as "Woody," walking and moving and acting "like a guy" and Kevin Zegers is good also but his characterization is more understated. His walk, facial expressions, mannerisms, etc. change noticeably as Nell but it's more subtle.

It was pretty decently written and what it may have lacked in the script was compensated for by the main characters and the director. Some of the secondary characters were not as good as the rest but the parents, Nell and Woody, even brainless Breanna were believable.

One of the main aspects I like is the understanding Woody and Nell achieve when they literally walk in each other's shoes (yeah, OK, that's a plot device in many body swap movies but "what the heck?") . Nell realizes her animosity toward Woody is mostly snobbery and Woody sees his loutish behavior for what it is. They both realize they are better people than that. The scene with Woody/Nell asking Nell/Woody "How does it feel to be a cheap slut?" makes Woody really understand how Nell feels for the first time. Nell sees Woody's parents are decent humans who are not, as her mother thinks, objects of scorn because they are not well educated. Everything piles up on Woody when Nell's mother declares Woody is "stupid and a loser" and adds "You told me so" to Nell/Woody, causing Woody to see how his treatment of Nell has made her despise him. Also, unlike Nell, Woody sees he's always gone along with the crowd without much introspection.

Since the movie apparently spans only one week it's a bit of a stretch to expect characters to evolve so quickly but that's a minor quibble (they're both intelligent kids, anyway...). IABGT made me laugh and smile more than most new movies I've seen in ages. I'd watch it just for the bathroom scene when Woody/Nell remarks "Nice pen*s" to the guy standing next to him at the urinals. That has got to be one of the funniest scenes ever and a spot-on observation about (primarily) heterosexual male mores in our culture.

Of course it ends as it does -- what would one expect, a startling plot twist? Like they never return to their own bodies and Nell/Woody becomes a lesbian and Woody/Nell becomes a Catholic priest? Besides, the end is realistically and romantically different in that Nell decides to take a year sabbatical before starting Yale (much to her mother's dismay) so she and Woody have time to develop their relationship. Although it's not explicit it would seem Woody has made the same decision unless the "sh*tkicker" college he'll attend is local or very close to home. The end makes no sense if Nell is taking a year off and Woody is moving away to attend college.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]