IMDb > The Croods (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Croods

The Croods More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 19: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Author: BabyBlueTarheel from North Carolina, U.S.A.
10 December 2013

After watching this film with my youngest son, I'd have to say I was happily surprised at how good this DreamWorks picture was. Although the beginning starts out slow without much content except learning that the cave is a protective crutch for the Crood family. Once the story starts to flow with Eep meeting Guy and his companion/clothes accessory, Belt, the action stays at a great pace throughout. It has a lively, humorous rendering of how the words and items we use everyday got their name. The film also gives the viewer feel-good, heart-warming feelings that come standard with any "family movie" these days. From seeing a family's struggle for survival, to empathizing with their meager, unhappy existence, to applauding their eventual overcoming of fear, it all makes for an enjoyable film to see.

Loved the animals!

Author: redeye90007 from United States
5 December 2013

As expected from a DreamsWork movie the animation is fantastic. It's quick and fluid, and the camera flows nicely as it follows the action. The Croods themselves have a seemingly unpleasant, bulky design to them but it actually works in the context of the film because the characters live in the wild, so big and broad makes sense. It is a little refreshing to see the main female character is not made out to be a stunning beauty, but rather someone who has been shaped by her environment. The beginning of the movie starts with in dry, mono-coloured landscapes before we get to see the bright colours of the jungle and continually seeing the weird creature reminiscence of designs of Sanders' previous works.

Like other animated movies these days, The Croods has a big name voice cast and they also do a decent, if standard job. No one disgraces themselves. Cage is an unusual choice, but he gives a strong performance. There is only one time when Cage is let off the handle; Unfortunately, that is when we are experiencing the most modernism the movie has to offer.

Loved it

Author: czarate132 from United States
2 December 2013

The Croods is a great comedy and adventurous family movie. It is a simple story, but is filled with life lessons and values like knowing that family is important and team work is also important to be able to accomplish different tasks. The characters in this movie are enjoyable and relatable to people.

This caveman family was forced to move out of their cave after the world begins to end. Grug is the over protective dad that wants nothing, but to keep his family safe and out of harms way. Eep is his daughter; she is a free spirit, curious, and outgoing. His wife Ugga, son Thunk, other daughter, and mother in law Gran are not very important, but are funny. As they move along on their adventure to find a new cave they come across a nomad named Guy. Guy is imaginative, creative, and full of new ideas. Guy helps the family learn to not be afraid of the world and to not be afraid of trying or learning new things. He has a furry little animal with him named Belt that resembles a sloth.

Throughout the movie the family grows closer together. It teaches them to accept new things and also goes through some evolution.

The animation and graphics in this movie were beautifully put together.

Overall this was a fun family movie to watch. I wouldn't mind watching this several times with my son. My son absolutely loved this movie.

Surprisingly a funny and visually beautiful adventure

Author: pcrprimer from Canada
22 November 2013

I didn't expect much going into this movie. I feel that it was sort of overshadowed by the large summer blockbuster releases. I vaguely remember the trailer advertising it as a cave man family vacation. It was however more than that. It sort of went under the radar, and I think that works to its advantage. Some of the scenes of the forest were very reminiscent of Avatar, with bright colours and interesting creatures. Although the ending and end credits song were very upbeat and happy. (End credit song is very catchy in the way that Tarzan songs were catchy). There was one dark moment that truly stands out, when Grug is left by himself in the cave and paints his family in a circle of his outstretched arms. If this was a dark and macabre film, they could have ended Grug's story at that point and faced the ire of angry parents and fans. However, I do prefer the happier route that the director chose. As well, the action scenes were actually very exciting and intense. You really can't go wrong with Nicholas Cage as your lead voice actor, and his characteristic talking style adds to the story. Overall, give this movie a shot and sit back and just take it all in.

Something for the entire family

Author: pinkprincess666 from Stockbridge, Georgia
22 November 2013

This is a must see for ANY FAMILY appropriate for all ages It was nice to finally see a movie made !!for the entire family.. The animation was great!!The Characters were amazing and you definitely picked the right cast for this film .We enjoyed the whole film and even got a few laughs and trust me when I say it is not easy to get my husband to laugh but he even enjoyed this one!!! I will definitely be recommending this movie to my family and friends I would also like to say Bravo to the producers,Directors,Actors,Actress' and writers You did extremely well on this one thank you for making and family night even more enjoyable The Flintstones and land of the lost don't have anything on this movie it was by far a much better film then either of those

Lively, thoughtful crowd-pleaser

Author: Roland E. Zwick ( from United States
19 November 2013

A Stone Age family of six, The Croods live in a world where life is a nonstop struggle for survival and where anything new is to be feared and avoided at all cost. Or at least that's what young Eep (Emma Stone) has been taught to believe by her well-meaning but over-protective dad, Grug (Nicholas Cage). But Eep is a naturally bright and curious sort, and when she meets a cute boy, Guy, (Ryan Reynolds) living out on his own who's discovered this new-fangled thing called "fire," she makes it her life's mission to start venturing out a bit more on her own. Guy also offers her a more optimistic view of life and the future than she gets from her scaredy-cat dad who prefers to huddle with his family in a tiny cave safe from the threats outside. But when an earthquake destroys the family's cave, they are all forced to hazard out into the big bad scary world of threats by nature and hungry prehistoric predators.

Written and directed by Chris Sanders and Kirk DeMicco, "The Croods" is lively and fun and built upon the theme of learning to face one's fears and of finding the courage to move on to bigger and better things in spite of the potential dangers lurking along one's path..

In addition to the amusing, nicely differentiated family members, there's the customary bevy of cute and cuddly prehistoric creatures (even the threatening ones are kind of cuddly) to make this a fine, non-threatening look at life in prehistoric times, fit even for the more impressionable kiddies.

The computer-generated animation is clean, if not exactly envelope-pushing or spectacular, and it makes up in speed what it lacks in sophistication.

I Am Loved it!!!

Author: rishabh-kushawah007 from India
6 November 2013

The Croods, a name most bizarre to be given as a title of a movie, but the content, just fantastic! I may even add to say that Dreamworks has lived up to its expectations in delivering exceptionally amazing animated movies and their latest release, The Croods is no exception. The story begins by introducing us to a rather diverse family of a couple, their three children and an old grandmother(who just wouldn't die) and setting is a prehistoric age where they are supposedly the only living humans. The movie then goes on to bring an extra character just named "Guy" and his sidekick Belt(an animal) who goes on to proclaim that the end of the world is near and their only hope for survival was to aim for the mountains far ahead. A simple plot it seems no doubt, but the way the movie was crafted was just fantastic and if that wasn't enough, you might actually find yourself laughing a couple of times no matter what age you might be of. There might be many movies out there to be watched but "The Croods" is a film which is guaranteed to be enjoyed. It might not be the best film out there, but it certainly is a great one which has its own comedic and adventurous moments, a movie for the whole family out there and to all those who prefer watching it in 3-D, the effects are seriously good in this film and your choice would be a valid one

Cliché and predictable, but good animation and wackiness

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
24 October 2013

There just isn't much that stands out about this movie. Some puns doesn't seem to make much sense when it comes to the scenarios and characters. Despite the setting taking place in a pre-historic time period, there isn't really anything new. There is a lot of obnoxious wackiness, which is understandable since it's dealing with cavemen. What I did like is how it sticks to the cavemen nature of the characters, while also blending in modern interaction. And I am not just talking about how the characters speak English. It shows the vicious and animal like nature of the characters back then, while also keeping it family friendly. All the voice actors and actresses is alright, again nothing that stands out but for the most part it seems to fit the characters. Nicholas Cage basically 100% sounds like Nicholas Cage. I give credit for the parts near the end, how it connects certain things together. While also bringing out the emotions, although the emotional elements maybe a bit cliché. Overall this is a zany movie that the family can enjoy, despite the predictable direction and all.

Like an extended cartoon, we were entertained and laughed often.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
22 October 2013

When I watch an animated movie like this one I try to identify the voices without knowing the cast. It took me a while, discarding Tom Hanks and Owen Wilson, finally recognizing the distinctive voice of Nicolas Cage. He is arguably the main character, the over-protective dad, Grug, in this animated movie about a prehistoric family. They apparently stay in their cave, with a boulder protecting the entrance. Only Grug is strong enough to move it.

All this doesn't sit well with the strong-willed daughter, Emma Stone as Eep, who often goes off by herself, and sometimes explores high cliffs without dad's permission.

One day she is stumped when she encounters a boy, Ryan Reynolds as Guy. But they eventually manage to become friends but when the rest of the family meets him they go a bit crazy. They are afraid of anything new or different. So much of the story is that theme, learning to accept new things, and to explore a bit instead of being so afraid that you stay in your cave until you are so hungry that you have to get out to find food.

But Guy also brings news that the world they all know is about to be destroyed, and they will have to find a new land. Other interesting characters are Catherine Keener as the mom, Ugga. Cloris Leachman as the old grandmother, Gran.

It is just a cool animated movie. There is a bare thread of a "message" about getting out of your cave, your safety zone, to live life instead of just waiting to die. But few of us look to animated movies like this for direction in our lives.

We enjoyed it, a good 90 minutes of entertainment.

Fun Time with a life lesson!

Author: chathux10 from Sri Lanka
21 October 2013

Just Wow! if you are looking for a good family movie with lots of humor,colorful characters, a life lesson for all of us, then this is the movie for you.

I recently completed watching all of the Shrek movies and desperately searched for a similar movie.even though i got this movie on my collection, i skipped watching this for some reason. (stupid me!)

the graphics,effects,colors are awesome. all the characters are full of fun, even the weird looking grandma is funny.

its a combination of love,anger,fear,courage,ignorance. i am sure that you will have hell of a good time watching it. Keep Calm and Watch Movie..Zzz