IMDb > The Croods (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Croods

The Croods More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 19: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Neighbors of Atuk?

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
11 May 2015

The Croods (2013): Dir: Kirk DeMicco, Chris Sanders / Voices: Nicolas Cage, Emma Stone, Ryan Reynolds, Catherine Keener, Cloris Leachman: Prehistoric animation about one of the original families. The head of the cave is Grug and he is strong and constantly concerned about the safety of his family. His daughter Eep is adventurous and disregards her father's paranoia. Others include the wife, son, baby, and granny. Eventually Guy enters the picture when Eep sneaks out of the cave and marvels at his creation of fire. Guy warns them about the end of the earth and when an earthquake destroys their cave they are off to find new refuge. Not much of a plot and the structure is one simplistic encounter after another. The saving grace is a climax that presents Grug in a position where he must think on the spot and delivers on a brilliant plot solution. Directors Kirk DeMicco and Chris Sanders are backed with a lot of corny story elements but ultimately it is the animated presentation that scores the highest marks. Many of the characters are flat but Nicolas Cage is amusing voicing Grug who competes with Guy for his family's affection and trust. Emma Stone voices the ambitious and curios Eep who has her father's strength. Ryan Reynolds voices Guy whose resourceful keen senses solve much yet create tension with Grug. Other roles are not as well developed including a granny who has more energy than she should have at her prehistoric age. The animation is the highlight and the theme is family and the willingness to cut ties and trust those we care for to make beneficial choices. Score: 6 ½ / 10

I loved it!

Author: marcelareribeiro from Brazil
21 March 2015

This film is one of the best movies I've watched ever!!!

Congratulations to the entire cast and production. A special congrats to Nicolas Cage, who really did a great job with the role!!!

A film that entertains us from the beginning to end. Funny dialogs, with emotion and humor.

I loved the way that the human emotions was used in the film. After all, we all have our conflicts and struggle, and seek a new tomorrow, even better.

In some scenes I cried. So beautiful!!!

I'm looking forward to watch the sequel.

A caveman family on the move.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
28 February 2015

I was talked into watching this; and glad I did. This Dreamworks animated feature is co-directed by Kirk DeMicco and Chris Sanders. Both also lay claim to the screenplay. Fantastic cinematography and interesting story. Plus likable characters. Eep(Emma Stone)is an energetic girl, who likes to stray a bit from the cave. She meets a strange boy named Guy(Ryan Reynolds)and his pet sloth called Belt(Sanders). Guy is imaginative and has what it takes to be a future inventor, or even discoverer. Eep's father is Grug(Nicolas Cage), and as any well respected caveman, he worries when his daughter getting too far from the cave. He finds Eep and on the way home an earthquake makes shambles of their cave.

Grug gathers the family, wife Ugga(Catherine Keener), son Thunk(Clark Duke), baby daughter Sandy(Randy Thom) and then there is ferocious Gran(Cloris Leachman)...and the journey begins to search for a new cave. Guy and his pet join the family in the trek across what actually is a brand new world to all. This fantastic new world is full of strange creatures, dangers and wonders. There is a brand new life on the horizon.

This is a family friendly movie, but be cautioned that there is some situations that may prove to be too scary for the youngest of viewers. You can count on 98 minutes of adventure, escape and enjoyment.

An Enjoyable Prehistoric Animation Romp

Author: David Arnold from United States
16 January 2015

The Croods are the last cave family in their "neighbourhood" with the other families having been killed by one thing or another. This leads Grug Crood (Nicolas Cage) to be a bit over-protective with his family meaning that they hardly ever leave their cave and that anything new is bad. Eep Crood (Emma Stone) is more adventurous, though, and is constantly frustrated by her dad's over-bearing manner, so one night she leaves the safety of their cave to investigate a strange light. It's here that she meets Guy (Ryan Reynolds)...an incentive young boy who predicts "the end of the world". After an earthquake destroys their cave, the Croods - along with Guy - leave to find pastures new, bringing about different dangers & adventures.

The Croods is an enjoyable roller coaster animation ride, but unfortunately I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Don't get me wrong...it's still a very good movie, but it was just missing a certain something to make it better. DreamWorks have done better animated movies with Shrek and Turbo to name some, but that doesn't mean The Croods is bad.

As we have come to see from a lot of DreamWorks movies, the animation is superb and is crystal clear, especially in Blu-ray. The humour is constant throughout the movie as well which is good because that's much better than an animated movies that only have two or three funny moments and then nothing else. The humour isn't "roll about laughing" kind of humour, but it is enough to definitely make you laugh.

One wee minor downside was that a couple of scenes did tend to drag on a bit with the "chasing for food" opening scene being one of them. The casting was spot on as well and they all done a great job. None of the characters were annoying, and I actually think that Belt - Guy's pet sloth - is one of the best characters in the movie.

The Croods isn't just a kids movie but is a family movie, and it doesn't matter if you're 6 or 60...this is a movie that everyone can like.

Watch it and enjoy.

Simplistic action comedy in computer game style

Author: Stephan Ortmann from Hong Kong
12 January 2015

This movie has a few funny moments but I think it is more geared toward young kids than older viewers. While the lead character is very similar in appearance and style to Shrek, this movie cannot even closely reach the depth and quality of story-telling.

The Croods feels like a jump and run computer game, where you are constantly running from one challenge to the next. The action is exaggerated which appeals to young viewers. It reminds me a little of classic cartoons where the characters suffer great pain but are not really harmed. This, in my opinion, is OK for a short cartoon but gets annoying in a long movie like this.

It is an okay movie but certainly not as great as the present ranking suggests. I would go for 2 out of 4 stars.

In my top five animations of all times!

Author: m-barnard42 from England
17 December 2014

This is my first review but just had to write a short one for this great film. Was dubious about watching this to start with but loved it so much have now watched it five times!

It held my attention throughout with great animation, amusing characters and originality.

I like the way the family are portrayed- in many ways just like a modern family with the youngsters leading the parents.

I cannot fault this film it is so amusing and original-it even rewrites evolution-with fish and sea creatures starting out on land! I recommend it to all age groups.

Yabba Dabba Don't

Author: Fluke_Skywalker from United States
22 November 2014

'The Croods' features some truly dazzling animation that really pops out when watched in high definition. It's just a shame that it's wasted on such a lackluster script. Hackneyed, unfocused, and utterly devoid of laughs, the film shambles from one loud bit of nonsense to the next, hoping it seems to club us into submission like the cavemen who inspired it.

With so few characters a lot of pressure falls on the shoulders of the small voice cast, who unfortunately prove unable to do anything with the weak material they're given. There isn't a single standout performance or one moderately likable character here.

I would hardly call this the golden age of animation, but there are certainly better options out there than this tepid effort.

Well I thought it wasn't bad from the man that brought you Lilo & Stitch and How To Train Your Dragon franchise

Author: lisafordeay from Ireland
29 August 2014

As a lover for animated films like The Lion King,Tangled,How To Train Your Dragon,Frozen and so many more good animated films out there,I decided to buy The Croods on DVD yesterday for a bargain as I never seen it before and I decided to check it out. So here is my review on the film The Croods(2013)

The Croods is an animated 2013 DreamWorks Animation/20th Century Fox film and tells the tale of a cave girl called Eep(voiced by The Amazing Spiderman star Emma Stone) who is sick and tired of being cooped up in a cave alongside her overprotective father called Grug(voiced by Face/Off's Nicolas Cage) and the rest of her family as her father thinks that they could die if they ever left their cave. So Eep one day escapes only to find a handsome boy called Guy(voiced by The Proposal's Ryan Reynolds making his first animated debut here,as his second animated film he did with DreamWorks was Turbo) making fire as Eep saw a light and decided to follow it which landed her to him in the first place and the two set it off. So when Eep's habitant is in danger herself and her overprotective father along with the rest of her family decide to venture out to a whole new other world. With teamwork involved will Eep and her father ever get along and will her father stop being so overprotective over his daughter?

So what is good about this film well for starters the animation is brilliant,in fact the animation isn't like the likes of Frozen or Tangled as they used Photo-Realistic imagery with 2D and CGI combined together,whereas in this the backgrounds look as if its done in live action. Also the charcther design is nice too and its nice to have Alan Silvestri(who teams up with Chris Sanders who worked with him in Lilo & Stich,while Sanders directed the brilliant How To Train Your Dragon films) as the composer of this movie.

Now for the bad, the story has been done to death before. The whole overprotective parent,the child or teenager who is always moaning about wanting to be free,falling in love for the first time basically teenage stuff has been done like I said SO MANY TIMES and its a bit of a cliché if you ask me,but still I enjoyed the story too. The ending was a bit of a downer as it ended kinda funny but having said that if you love Ice Age than you will love this film.

For an Oscar Nominated film I give The Croods a 6/10. And out of 5 stars I give it 3 and a half out of 5 stars.

Verdict: Good

A Delightful Family-Oriented Movie!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
29 July 2014

The Croods is actually a very good, family-pleasing DreamWorks animated film that is better than expected because of a well-written story and some excellent voice acting. Who knew that an animated movie about a bunch of prehistoric people would receive an Oscar nomination. Speaking of the animation, the film is also visually impressive as this should be eye candy for everyone. As for the jokes, some are actually quite funny and most of them do not fall flat.

Kirk De Macco and Chris Sander's film is about a bunch of prehistoric people named the Croods whom do not like to try new things and they spend the majority of their days holed up in a cave. However the daughter, Eep wants to do things and she runs away from home much to her father's, Grug displeasure and she learns about what will happen. But due to a changing world, the family must leave their cave and venture out in the wilderness to begin a new life.

This film has an impressive voice cast. Nicolas Cage finally chooses a good role as of late and does a neat job voicing the concerned, stubborn Grug. Emma Stone shows she can do well in animation as the voice of Eep. Then we have some good voicework from the likes of Ryan Reynolds, Catherine Keener, and Cloris Leachman.

Overall, The Croods is much better than anyone could hope for and it's pleasing animated fare for the entire family. The kids will love this, and I think the adults would be pleasantly surprised. Somehow, this film reminds me of Ice Age and I think that is a favorable comparison because I enjoy those films. But thanks to beautiful animation, a good story, excellent voice-acting, and of course from that prehistoric teen angst, we get a very good family film. I rate this film 9/10.

Great Family Dynamics, Wonderful artistically.

Author: Tim McGahren from United States
20 July 2014

For some reason i couldn't get into this movie at first, but then I watched it again past the slow beginning, and this movie is really good.

The first love relationship between Guy and Eep is really wonderful. Eep is also a great female character, whoever wrote her deserves an award. She never goes out of her character even though her character is both sweet and courageous at the same time. She is curious, athletic, energetic, amazed by new things, rough around the edges and feisty as well, but never falls into being a cruel jerk a as what is portrayed as being a 'strong woman' is many movies and shows today. Also, this is one of the few beautiful powerfully built female characters I have ever seen in a movie, and Darwyn Cooke's Wonder Woman comes to mind.

Loved the landscapes, flora and fauna as well. Quite well done.

The scene with Douglas learning tricks is so strikingly funny in it's abruptness. Great writing on that.

Additionally the galumphing gait of the cavemen is well done, and the whole of the family dynamic, from the father losing control of his control, and of his daughter to her first love is wonderfully and delicately done. The movie has extremes of subtlety and frenetic action with amazing visuals.

Loved the grandmother, and the fighting between her and Grug, and Nic Cage does a great job with the voice work here. Overall wonderful.