IMDb > The Croods (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Croods

The Croods More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 20: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Change

Author: d_spych from Canada
24 January 2017

Three years ago I saw an ad for The Croods on my peach juice jug and I thought it looked really dumb. I was very wrong.

This movie is beautifully animated. The environnements are very well made and the tiger is the best. It's very fun to watch a movie like this that is so well animated.

This movie stars Nicolas Cage, Emma Stone and Ryan Reynolds. Yeah. That's a cast. Everyone is great and awesome but Nic Cage steals the show. I won't spoil anything but there's lots of character development around his character.

The Croods has great animation and a great cast but that's almost nothing compared to the message. The message is about change and how you can't always stay in one place and not evolve. This message is delivered extremely well in this prehistoric era.

This movie was also really funny. The humour is fresh and good. I heard the sequel was cancelled which is extremely disappointing because the end left us with a lot of ground to explore and more adventures to go on.

All in all, The Croods is pretty much a perfect animated movie. It has great animation, a great cast, a nice setting that helps deliver the powerful message and it's funny. I will be reviewing more animated movies soon which will lead to my best animated movies list.

Do not forget to "release the baby,"

Author: nickynnnz from America
6 September 2016

This movie leads a story of a family living in the prehistoric time known as the 'Croodaceous.' I found this interesting since that ridiculous beginning. There are so many scientific facts all around the movie, but I like the way that they used to tell it to the audience. Anyone can understand it so easily.

The few main characters have the same humorous lifestyle as they can take us into their crazy world. (This is something more than that we've heard about the prehistoric time)

This is not another typical animated movie. DreamWorks have done a great job with that amusing story and the cast.

In any case, do not forget to "release the baby,"

review

Author: steffycyril
1 September 2016

Even though the characters are from movies,they are wonderful to watch.Many of this genre that i have watched have not been read before and don't want to. The plot is a small story where a family is moving together to a safer place to survive.If i want to explain each characters: Fathers always want their children to be at their side.The attempt that he makes on the counts is funny. As soon as a lover comes,it seems amazing to do anything than being said or done by any other person.The changes is bought in a subtle way and shown in a cute manner. She thrives to do things without hesitation as that of 'BRAVE'.The plot is interesting till the end.

A strong Dreamworks animated film

Author: MovieLord23 from San Antonio
5 April 2016

Dreamworks has had a decent string of movies with their Shrek and How to Train Your Dragon franchises. However, their one off animated films are not always that memorable. The Croods is one of those films that goes above most of the average material that these films settle in delivering some sweet moments along with outstanding animation.

Good: The cast all around are great lending their voices which make the characters pop out with Cage, Stone, and Reynolds being the standouts. The animation is gorgeous and I loved the designs of the creatures in the world this movie created. The movie was also really sweet without being cheesy and moved by on a good pace.

Bad: The humor is pretty weak at times and it especially falters in the third act. While the story is solid enough, it still followed the typical teenage rebel wants more storyline we have seen multiple times before.

Overall, while the humor is not terribly funny and the story still hits the familiar beats, it remains entertaining enough to gain your attention and deliver the goods.

The Croods

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
10 March 2016

I knew this film was about cavemen, that's about it really, I was prepared to give it a try and make myself feel like a kid again, directed by Chris Sanders (Lilo & Stitch, How to Train Your Dragon) and Kirk DeMicco (Space Chimps). Basically in the prehistoric era, The Croods are a Neanderthal family: father and husband Grug (Nicolas Cage), mother and wife Ugga (Catherine Keener), teenage daughter Eep (Emma Stone), son Thunk (Clark Duke), ferocious baby daughter Sandy (Randy Thom) and grandmother Gran (Cloris Leachman). The family hardly get out of their cave, having seen many of their friends and neighbours killed by various elements and creatures of the world, Grug is over-protective and stubborn to make any changes, even if it would benefit them for food and survival. Eep is a rebel and questions why they have to live in the dark, one day she sees a light and sneaks out of the cave, she finds inventive modern human boy Guy (Ryan Reynolds) and his pet sloth Belt (Chris Sanders). Guy has discovered how to make fire, he also warns of an oncoming apocalypse, that will destroy the land, he offers to help Eep and her family find safety, but concerned she stays, he gives her a shell horn to blow if she needs help. Soon enough a massive earthquake destroys the land, and the home of the Croods, the family are forced to venture into the tropical forest and escape the carnivores and other new creatures, Eep calls for Guy, but worried for his family, Grug imprisons Guy in a log until he can guide them somewhere safe. Escaping the destruction, Guy is let out of the log and creates shoes for the family, to walk across the harsh landscape, Guy explains that he and all humans have a brain and can come up with ideas, Grug becomes jealous of Guy's impression on the family, and realises Eep has fallen in love with him. Attempting to invent things like Guy, Grug only embarrasses himself and drives the family further away from him as they continue to travel to a place called "Tomorrow", there is a point when the family are split by tunnels, all but Grug escape, coming up with ideas. Reaching the mountain, Grug wants the family to hide in a cave, they refuse, saying they don't want to "survive", but to "live", Grug is enraged and attacks Guy, they end up falling into the tar flow, Guy tells that his family perished in one, Grug realises Guy's method of survival is better than his, they work together to get out, they succeed and reunite with the others. Then the land violently rips apart and the family are cut off from their destination, Grug realising the error of his ways throws his family to safety, he shares an invention which he calls a "hug" with Eep, it appears that Grug has fallen, but manages to create a makeshift airship and fly across the chasm. In the end the Croods are happily reunited, Grug apologises and promises not to be so overbearing again, and they find a beautiful land to live on a vast beach, where everyday they can follow the light to "Tomorrow". The voice cast are all well chosen for their parts, the story is nice and simplistic, the ideas thrown together about what Neanderthals discover is clever, and their many weird and wonderful creatures and landscapes along the way that you will never have seen before, I admit some of it is predictable, the worried father trying to right for his family but being a complete buzzkill I have seen before, but the colourful animation, which can be seen in 3D also, is great, and this is something all the family can enjoy, a fun computer-animated comedy adventure. Worth watching!

Refreshing!

Author: Finfy from Germany
1 January 2016

When I first saw this movie in trailers and pictures I was certainly not a fan of the premise. I am not a huge fan of movies that are set in this era like Ice Age and several others but just yesterday I wanted to give the movie a chance and I was pleasantly surprised!

The animation is wonderful and the character and monster design are very different and surprising. The world they live in is very creative.

The movie has a great pacing and also knows where and how to let the viewer feel different emotions. The movie can be funny the movie can be sad and it works wonderfully.

If you were not convinced by the marketing or trailers do give it a shot. It is very worth your time.

The most colourful movie ever!

Author: craig-hopton from United Kingdom
26 December 2015

What a delightful family movie! We chose this not quite knowing what to expect and my goodness we were in for a treat.

The story itself is pretty straightforward - a stone age family loses their home and has to search for a new one, and in the process learn about the really important things in life. Nothing too surprising there then.

But it's the way this story is told that makes it fantastic. This is an incredibly fun and spectacularly colourful movie.

The animation is done with blistering speed and real panache. There is a scene near the start showing the family out foraging for an egg - a simple enough idea but the resulting stand-off and chase with other hunting animals is a thrilling tour-de- force of animation.

And my goodness, the colours! Every landscape and virtually every creature is lush with all the colours of the rainbow and (so it feels) more.

This truly fits the definition of a 'magical' family movie. We were entranced.

Lets just say that this family is different

Author: Ole Sandbaek Joergensen from Denmark
15 September 2015

The Croods take place many years ago in a prehistoric time that should be like the stone age on planet earth and at the same time it presents creatures, colors and scenery that is not of this earth :) Lets just say that this family is different, they are strange and yet peculiar familiar, they are a good blend of characters and they live in an interesting world.

There are great animations, it might not be like a Disney classic or Pixar film, but Dreamworks really hits the spot with this different and sometimes weird family animation film. It is very entertaining and the characters are both charming, likable and sometimes strange, but they fit into the story and experience a lot of new stuff and that keeps you interested and watching all the way.

Interesting traits from stone age to be used in a great animation movie? They got them all!

Author: guisreis from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
2 July 2015

One more masterwork by DreamWorks! I don't know why, but I did not expect too much of this piece. Though, it showed itself a huge good surprise! As I told in the title above, they had many nice ideas about how to use stone age traits to make a great animation movie. The characters are very well developed and I loved their stone-age mannerisms: amazing animation job! Besides that, it has a quite smart screenplay. The general idea may be perceived as a self-help advise not to be afraid and to risk. Though, it it is more than that, or at least it shows a brilliant metaphor for that: humanity only has evolved because human beings overcame their afraid of nature and tried. Screenplay also explores the alpha male struggles, domestication of wildlife, dangers and scarcity faced by the first days of our species. Following the light is also a nice metaphor for knowledge, like the fire of Prometheus. The Noah's moment in the end was also great. The film is intelligent and touching in the right amount.

Neighbors of Atuk?

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
11 May 2015

The Croods (2013): Dir: Kirk DeMicco, Chris Sanders / Voices: Nicolas Cage, Emma Stone, Ryan Reynolds, Catherine Keener, Cloris Leachman: Prehistoric animation about one of the original families. The head of the cave is Grug and he is strong and constantly concerned about the safety of his family. His daughter Eep is adventurous and disregards her father's paranoia. Others include the wife, son, baby, and granny. Eventually Guy enters the picture when Eep sneaks out of the cave and marvels at his creation of fire. Guy warns them about the end of the earth and when an earthquake destroys their cave they are off to find new refuge. Not much of a plot and the structure is one simplistic encounter after another. The saving grace is a climax that presents Grug in a position where he must think on the spot and delivers on a brilliant plot solution. Directors Kirk DeMicco and Chris Sanders are backed with a lot of corny story elements but ultimately it is the animated presentation that scores the highest marks. Many of the characters are flat but Nicolas Cage is amusing voicing Grug who competes with Guy for his family's affection and trust. Emma Stone voices the ambitious and curios Eep who has her father's strength. Ryan Reynolds voices Guy whose resourceful keen senses solve much yet create tension with Grug. Other roles are not as well developed including a granny who has more energy than she should have at her prehistoric age. The animation is the highlight and the theme is family and the willingness to cut ties and trust those we care for to make beneficial choices. Score: 6 ½ / 10