IMDb > The Croods (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Croods

The Croods More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 20: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Fun family adventure...

Author: rachelandfilms from United Kingdom
12 July 2013

When I heard about this film I won't lie, I wasn't that enthusiastic. My reasoning for this is mainly that I thought it would be a rehash of other pre-historic animations we've been barraged with in recent years. Now I'm not pointing any fingers *cough* Ice Age *cough* too-many- sequels *cough*…okay, so I am. But anyway I just figured that there was only so many ways you can tell that "its-the-end-of-the-world" story without killing (pardon the pun) the subject. After watching The Croods however, I quickly changed my mind, because the film doesn't just tackle this subject but a whole lot more.

The film tells the story of The Crood family who are living a simple and desperately frustrating life in a cave where there day-to-day routine consists of hunting and sitting in the dark listening to the same stories from family patriarch and all-round fuss-pot father Grub (Nicholas Cage). All of this changes however when an earthquake destroys there cave and they must travel across the new and fantastic planes of a land they have never explored. Along the way the Crood family pick up Ryan Reynolds' character Guy who shows them that there is more to their caveman lifestyle than simply surviving and forms a romance with the adventurer of the family Eep (voiced by Emma Stone).

The characters that make up this family are surreal in their realism…if that makes sense?! We've got the pre-requisite rebellious teen Eep, the understanding Mother (Catherine Keener) trying to keep the family together, the loud and opinionated mother-in-law that you love to hate (Cloris Leachman), the oft-humiliated middle child (ain't that always the way?), the kid sister and the over-protective father. The actors portraying this everyday family bring an hilarity and sincerity to their roles and really play up to the stereotypes attached to each archetype, to the point where you're watching and thinking "oh-my-god. It's like my family. In fact it's so much like my family that it's kinda scary". The fact that these animated characters seem like real people is important in emphasising that heart-warming message of love and family that we are left with at the end, and also makes those funny family frustrations that much more hilarious.

Fancy reading the rest of my unedited thoughts on The Croods? Come see my film blog... (http://www.filmrambler.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/the-croods-2013.html)

Surprisingly touching, fine entertainment for the entire family

Author: drew_atreides from Ontario, Canada
10 July 2013

... i have to admit that THE CROODS really did nothing for me during it's primary theatrical run. I had no desire to see it, and honestly it didn't appear to hold any appeal for my 6 year old and 4 year old children.

However, it was playing at a second run theatre in Michigan, and it's the summer time, so I bit the bullet, paid 4.50 and took my 2 kids to see it and man am i ever glad i did.

Surprisingly touching film about a family with some great messages for EVERY member that is told in an entertaining manner that managed to hold the attentions of BOTH of my kids (not always an easy task!)

The message and humour works on all levels, and i have to say that even i had a bit of a tear in my eye during the finale.

A surprisingly cute film that wound up being a great way to spend a summer afternoon with the kids.

All around great family movie

Author: davedroid07
9 July 2013

I have to say this movie is worth a watch for whatever age you are. It will be fun for the younger ones and even older adults. Basically this movie revolves around the age old debate of how to live your life, in fear cautiously(in the dark ie:the cave) or freely with courage (towards the light)?. Basically it may seem the girl EEP is the main character who basically wants to 'leave the cave' and become independent. But it shifts towards the end focusing on Grug who learns to break out his shell and fulfill his desired role better ,as the masculine protector of his family.

As it can be seen there are some interesting character development and relatable issues at hand. Nonetheless the Croods manage to blend this perfectly with a humorous and compelling adventure.I had quite a few laughs, it is a special movie and one I would recommended movie enthusiasts to purchase.

The Croods — A brutish family on a surprising and dangerous hike

Author: Avid Climber from Montreal, Canada
23 April 2013

The Croods is a good prehistoric roller coaster ride. Think Ice Age, but much better.

The good. Incredibly well done and well used 3D. Very colorful and excellent animation. Extremely imaginative world that has nothing to do with our past. Funny action and dialogs. Good voice acting. Surprising story, with a perception twist near the end.

The actors. Nice choices of voice. Nicolas Cage gave a surprisingly good performance. Ryan Reynolds was just right for his role as was Emma Stone.

The bad. I would have cut the last minute pet race. Pointless candy. The accumulation of pets and their rescue was a bit much. And the flying skeleton? Well, it's a cartoon.

The ugly. Nothing really ugly, everything had its place.

The result. Something the kids will enjoy a lot, while their parents have a good laugh.

Great colourful fun from Dreamworks

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
31 March 2013

Dreamworks have been hit and miss for me(mostly hits), while I love The Prince of Egypt and How to Train Your Dragon, Shark Tale and Bee Movie left me underwhelmed. Watching the trailer for The Croods, admittedly I wasn't entirely impressed. But as I love animation so much and because I believe in giving any film a chance, I went ahead and watched The Croods anyway. And it was much better than anticipated and what the trailer made it out to be, in fact I found myself liking The Croods very much. I did think that the ending was a cop-out, it seemed to me that the film didn't know how or when it was going to end and it seemed too convenient also. And I also thought that the film was a little too long, some of the story structure towards the end seemed on the verge of petering out. The animation however is really wonderful, it is detailed and very colourful with the character designs well modelled and convincing in movement. If you see The Croods, try and see it in 3D if you can, I am usually not a fan of the 3D gimmick but this is one of those instances where the action is enhanced instead of the 3D detracting from it. At the top of my head, only the Vincent Price film House of Wax(also given the 3D treatment) has had that effect on me. The soundtrack is rousing and lively, though appropriately subdued in the more touching moments. The dialogue is very funny and extremely smart, with much to entertain children and adults. It is quite sophisticated in tone, although it thankfully doesn't feel too much. Amongst the humour, there's also room for some morals and family issues, and they are nicely done without being too heavy-handed. The story doesn't exactly break new ground and will seem formulaic to some. On the other hand, it is briskly paced, consistently engaging and is heart-warming in more ways than one. The prehystorical slapstick is frantic, but hilarious and never too childish. The characters are also a large part of the fun, they are very likable and amusing characters and you can relate to them. Grug and Guy's relationship was especially convincing. The voice work is great. A more restrained than usual Nicholas Cage is a big surprise and he is an ideal fit for his character. Emma Stone and Ryan Reynolds are equally appealing, and Cloris Leachman relishes some of The Croods' most amusing moments. In conclusion, great colourful fun without being among the very finest from Dreamworks. 8/10 Bethany Cox

Simply Brilliant

Author: Simon Reynolds from Here there and Everywhere
30 March 2013

This was a treat, a feast for the eyes, plenty of belly laughs in fact the laughs just kept coming. The characters were well developed and cleverly observed. The kids (6 & 7) loved it, they got a little scared at certain points and a little upset at the sad moments, but all within reason. There was a little plagiarizing of other movies most notably Avatar, Pitch Black, but wow what a great job the animators did.

What a Tour-de-force it didn't slow down or take a breather, relentless fun, jokes and action. I would say its the equal of Toy Story 3 and that's saying something - definite franchise opportunities and many sequels no doubt, expect a TV show.

Go see it and take the family

Funniest Kid's film so far this year

Author: rebecca-ry from North Lanarkshire, Scotland
29 March 2013

'The Croods' is DreamWorks' latest animated production. It involves a family of cavemen as they are forced to venture out into the open after their cave is destroyed.

The story is quite well written; it starts with you thinking it is going to revolve around teenage girl Eep (Emma Stone), with her journey, falling in love blah blah blah. However, the story develops into one about how sometimes fathers have to learn lessons and acknowledge that they can be wrong about things. Although it is only a voice performance, Nicholas Cage is brilliant and provides 90% of the comedy here. You can tell he had a great time working on this film. As children's films go, this is probably the funniest one in a while, the story is not insultingly basic and it teaches some decent life lessons along the way. The only thing that really bugged me was the Belt character – I didn't get what was so funny about a small creature shouting 'dundunduuuuun!' at various moments throughout the film in scenes where it didn't really fit. It seems to be a necessity in children's films now to have a little sidekick randomly make a funny noise of come out with some naff pop culture reference these days.

Overall, the film is probably the best kid's film out so far this year. There are a lot of really funny scenes and a couple of tear-jerking moments too.

Move on over Flintstones, there is a new caveman cartoon family in town call the Croods. A modern stone-age family!!

Author: ironhorse_iv from United States
24 May 2013

After their cave is destroyed, a Neanderthal caveman family call the Croods must trek through an unfamiliar fantastical world with the help of an inventive Cro-Magnon guy surprising name Guy (Ryan Reynolds) and his pet Sloth name Belt. I do like the idea of having people think the end of the world is coming in the beginning of time. Its makes me laugh, when I think about how silly dogma thinking is. The Croods are made out of Eep (Emma Stone) a girl looking out for adventure with a touch of Daddy's issues and rebellious. It looks like DreamWorks Animation took the Disney Princess concept to heart in this film. She comes off being bratty or cruel at times. The movie nearly mirrors Ariel from 1989's Little Mermaid and 2012's Brave Merida way too much in how much the character looks and acts upon dealing with fathers figures. Grug (Nicolas Cage) is her overprotective father who surprising is the character, I can sympathize most. He's not a bad guy, he just a man who lives in fear, who wants to protect his family at all cost. What I didn't like the movie is how the other characters were treating him when Guy came around. They act like he rarely did any good for his family. I would deeply hate being over look and can understand being threat by Guy. I think Nicolas Cage did a pretty good job in the role. The rest of the family are made out his wife Ugga (Catherine Keener), his daughter Sandy (Randy Thom), and his son Thunk (Clark Duke) and mother-in-law Gran (Cloris Leachman). Ugga doesn't really state out in her role, besides playing the mother figure. Thunk, Sandy and Gran were funny in the roles they were given. Still there were moments of the film, I just wish they would shut up. The movie doesn't take itself so serious, as it's more cartoony than historical accuracy or realism. The cavemen take a good number of falls, and hits that would clearly kill you in real life, but in this film, it's like watching a bit of Captain Caveman mixed with Roadrunner cartoon. I didn't know Neanderthal could lift heavy boulders, get crash by it, and still live. The wild creatures are made all cute like, rather than menacing at all. For goodness sakes, the Sabre Tooth tiger look like a stuff toy animal chasing them around. The action scenes were pretty cool to watch, but not once did I think that they were in any strong danger in how cartoony they made the film look. I would say it pretty safe movie for the kids to see. The movie does have good teachings for children, if you do take them like the ability to learn, invent, and adapt. Second is the importance of cooperation and family. I wouldn't say it was a great 3D movie. I watch it in 2D and honestly, couldn't really tell where the things popping out for 3D was. The plot reminds of a bit of The Gogs, Welsh cartoon TV Series that has a family's cave destroy by a volcano forcing them to go find a new home. Aardman Animations and Dreamworks took the idea, and remade it into the Croods. Overall very nice movie, made me laugh quite a few times, very entertaining and sweet all around. So tadtaddaaa everybody.

Fun characters EXCELLENT message

Author: michele-hollman from United States
13 April 2013

The animation, beautiful colors, fantastical creatures, humor, etc are all cool, but the message was simply amazing. How many people live in the "dark ages" so fearful of everything that (quote from movie) "we aren't living, we're really just NOT dying". There were a lot of biblical references about the world coming to an end, and really only needing love and the strength and courage to "go toward the light" in order to "find Tomorrow".

Another metaphor, is that the SPEED with which these cave people must conduct all their daily activities just to survive replicates the fast-paced rat race which is now so "normal" we don't even realize how much we're missing. We rush rush rush all day long, just in order to...do it all over again the very next day. When they slow down and enjoy the beauty of everything around them is when these characters finally start to "get it".

It's also a wonderful story about the importance of family and the dynamic between parents/teens. If we try to protect them too much our kids may be safe, but they can't grow, become independent, and really live; but, if we give them just the right amount of freedom and boundaries instead of rigid rules, they figure out what we most want them to learn anyway--on their own--which is REALLY what we parents wanted anyway. So ironically simple and commonsense, yet still so hard to get it right. I literally had tears streaming down my face in several parts. Great movie! Check it out!

right up there with the best of em'

Author: justabout72-645-540360 from england
29 March 2013

I have got 3 favorite animated movies Wall E , Brave and Finding Nemo.. This just made it into my list.. Beautifully animated(2d)characters to make you laugh and cry with and a story line to die for.. Just got back from the cinema with my 2 girls 13 and 8 they both loved it as much as me(big kid at heart) wont spoil it for anyone but i think its a must see movie for all ages. the voice acting and character interaction is superb especially from Cage and Reynolds.you could almost believe the over protective father figure Cage portrays.(and I'm not a big fan of Cage) ~.~ i think someone mentioned in a previous review the story gives us a glimpse at the transition from cave man to humans in an albeit diverse and colorful way using some of the most technically brilliant animation that i have seen to date. well dome Dreamworks you have nailed it