IMDb > The Croods (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Croods

The Croods More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 18: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Surprisingly Good

Author: Jacob Jefferson (jjgooner@yahoo.co.uk) from United Kingdom
6 July 2013

The Croods

*** (out of 4)

98 mins/U

Cast: Nicolas Cage, Emma Stone, Ryan Reynolds, Katherine Keener

Director: Chris Sanders

Plot: After their cave is destroyed, prehistoric family 'The Croods' go looking for a new home in a world of mystery and adventure.

JJ's Verdict: After hearing about this film I thought it would be bland, very unfunny and be full of boring voice work. However, coming out of the theatre, I realised it was the complete opposite. The film's animation is full of beautiful landscapes and colourful pre-historic animals, the humour, although slapstick, works very well and the voice work, particularly Nicolas Cage's overprotective Grug, is full of excitement and emotion. The film centres around the Croods who have to leave their cave and discover a new world with shoes, fire and umbrellas. The way they encounter these new objects are extremely funny and probably an accurate depiction of how people reacted to these things so many years ago. All in all, 'The Croods' is the best animated film since the 'Toy Story' trilogy and is perfect for children of all ages.

The Croods is not going to match the heights of "How to Train Your Dragon" but it's the kind of film that you would enjoy with the whole family.

Author: Faisal Khatib from United Arab Emirates
8 June 2013

In an alternative world just like ours where you discover piranha birds, saber rabbits, mouse elephants and bunch of other hybrid animals; we are familiarized to a Stone Age family called the Croods. Clouded in judgment from their ignorance and fear of the unknown outside their cave, the Croods follow one simple rule "Never not be afraid". Abruptly one day their life is flung into complete disarray as their safe haven is shattered and everything they know is tossed out of the window as they are forced to venture into stunning unfamiliar land.

Directed, written and screenplay by Kirk De Micco (Space Chimps) and Chris Sanders (How to Train a Dragon, Lion King); 'The Croods' never surpassed my 'This is going to be an average film' expectations when I'd first seen the trailer. Expectations didn't get any better as you are introduced to the characters and a bit of the story via a voice over narration that spelled 'Seen-it-before' in my head. What happened next did come off as a bit of a surprised as the film managed to rise above its cliché story and to certain extend its characters to take you on a joyful ride through a family's journey in peril and happiness.

Grug (voiced by Nicolas Cage) is the overprotective father trying to protect his family from peril. Be it darkness or curiosity; everything leads to immediate death as depicted by him in every story he tells. You feel for him as he falters to lead his family to safety while comes across situations he can't muscle his way out of. The true protagonist of the film, the familiarity of the voice of Nicolas Cage brings further allows you to delve yourself into the character. Eep (voiced by Emma Stone) is the daughter bursting with curiosity about what lies beyond the cave. She shares a fantastic chemistry with her father as she struggles to break free of his rules. It was refreshing to see a clear exit from the usual character design that you expect in animated films when it comes to the leading lady.

Guy (voiced by Ryan Reynolds) who plays Eep's love interest comes across as the more sophisticated human by using (what he calls) the brain. Along with his pet Belt (who also happens to hold his pants up if you were wondering), he wanders the world on his own in search of tomorrow through his resourcefulness and ideas. The charming gooey eyed character is the basis for a lot of laughs. Gran (voice by Cloris Leachman) and Thunk (voice by Clark Duke) are a constant source of laughs while Ugga (voice by Catherine Keener) does her bit as a supporting wife to Grug. All the characters fit in perfectly complementing each other as and when required without creating any unnecessary havoc.

The Animation is brilliant as expected from the DreamsWorks film. With most of the humor of the physical kind the character design has an outwardly bulky and indestructible that works well in the context of the film. The camera work is smooth and does everything right to capture the hits and misses of the families journey.

Better than Better!

Author: muppet-baby from New Zealand
29 May 2013

I was pretty excited when I went to go see the Croods, because looking at the trailers, it looked so funny! And it's a pretty lovable journey too. The animals are crazy! The scenes they go through are awesome. And I never got tired of the action. The Croods are a really funny family. Especially Thunk, because he is the goofy one. I've always loved the goofy ones. And Belt, was hilarious. The Croods is a very lovable adventure and great fantasy, that will make you laugh non-stop. I loved this movie from beginning to end. The Croods is nothing but comedy filled action. Is's good for kids and adults. Looking forward to it coming out on DVD so I can see it again!

Better than I anticipated

Author: F H from United Kingdom
19 May 2013

The Croods is a story about one of the last surviving prehistoric families that embark on a road trip looking for a new cave when their old cave is destroyed as the earth is going through many dramatic changes. If that wasn't enough for the Crood family to deal with, there is the father/daughter struggles throughout the storyline that any parent can relate to if they have had teenagers, especially daughters.

When the Croods daughter, Eep, can't understand her Dad's mentality that "fear is good; change is bad" and having to live by his number one rule "never leave the cave" she starts to rebel and pushes the boundaries set by her Dad, the over-protective, Grug. One of the characters I got a kick out of was Gran who is their wisecracking grandma who Grug is constantly hoping that she won't make it through their daily challenges. The rest of the Crood family includes Mom, younger brother and baby sister which are more or less "extras" to round out the family dynamic. On their journey to find a new cave, they meet Guy who has evolved a lot further then the Croods with his ability to make fire and shoes and his pet sloth who doubles as Guy's utility belt. Together they join in their journey in finding a new place to live, which Eep is desperately hoping won't be another cave.

I will admit that there were several moments that the movie was very predictable and the story line could have been a bit better. However, overall the movie was better than I thought it would be and would suggest seeing it.

Better than ICE AGE . . .

Author: Hot 888 Mama from Jacksonville, FL
7 May 2013

. . . and any of those live action movies with Brendan Frazier and animals (prehistoric or modern). THE CROODS is a quite watchable flick for moms and kids, with enough plot twists and turns thrown in to keep moms guessing and enough cute animals (such as the initially scary and eventually domesticated saber toothed tiger) jumbled on-screen to rivet the attention of the littler offspring. While it is true that Nicolas Cage as dad Grug is pretty much a stereotype as an over-protective, over-traditional father, the sense of imminent danger that a similar dad has in say FIDDLER ON THE ROOF is pretty much absent here, as composer Alan Silvestri's upbeat score sort of lets every movie veteran know that nothing REALLY bad is going to occur. There are a few wrinkles the writers have dreamed up, such as the method Grug and Guy manufacture to escape the clutches of the dread tar pit, which seemingly are beyond the limits of imagination for the out-of-ideas ICE AGE screenwriters. Hopefully, we will see a CROODS 2 prior to an ICE AGE 13.

"Crood", But Definitely Not "Crude"

Author: Nani Castro from United States
5 May 2013

"The Croods" is a Dreamworks animated film about a dysfunctional prehistoric family fighting to live to tomorrow. The all-star cast includes Nicholas Cage as the extremely overprotective father, Emma Stone as the angsty teenage daughter, Ryan Reynolds as the mysterious and handsome dreamer, and Cloris Leachman as the crazy old granny. Combining humor, heart, and wit this epitomizes the picturesque family film.

I'm just going to start off with the comment that'll show my presumptuous liberal arts education to get it out of the way. For a good majority of the film there are two reoccurring pieces: the cave that keeps them safe from the outside world and the newly devised tool…fire. The father, Grug, made the family spend day after day in the cave in order to protect them from the creatures and dangers of the outside world. To the family it was totally fine, because that was all they knew. Then this good-looking drifter appears, Guy, with his tangible sun (fire) and explains to them that there is more to the life they are living (the promise of tomorrow). Is this a reference to Plato's Allegory of the Cave? I cannot be the only person to make this connection… Alas I have nothing insightful to add here except to say that if the screenwriter and creators of the film had Plato's Allegory in mind when writing this they are going far beyond any children's movie I've seen. Bravo!

The basis of the plot, although not entirely innovative, was rather creative. Whenever writers pen an other worldly story they have the ability to create whatever fantastical and imaginative universe they want. This prehistoric realm was truly impressive. Carnivorous birds. Land whales. Moving greenery. And without a great animation team this world would fall flat. Thankfully the art was majestic, entrancing, and magical. Every piece fell seamlessly into place manifesting this marvelous land of wonder.

The true story has much less to do with the prehistoric backdrop, and more to do with the family that is living in it. It just proves that families were insane and oppositional from the beginning of time. Without exposing too much of the film, there are very profound family centric values that are explored. An overbearing father who will do anything to protect his family. A daughter that is completely embarrassed of her family and still wholly loves them. Many animated films attempt to reach this profundity and fall short. These writers, however, did an inexplicable job at adding such depth to the story that even my salty and bleak heart ached.

I don't know if there will ever be a way to explain how affected I was by this film. Visually it was beautiful. The story went far beyond miniscule themes of "be kind" and "love one another" to a plane of tenets that are difficult to grapple even as an adult. And on top of all of this it was rather funny. Don't let the title mislead you. This film is far from crude.

the croods with a few spoilers

Author: johnclrke from United Kingdom
5 May 2013

the croods is a incredible film its a story of a family and a friend it stars some celebrates with Emma stone Ryan renolds and and nick cage if you like kids films you will love this film it is very very good its funny and worth watching

the same again

enjoy

Snap-Shot

Author: Laddu Nishan from Sri Lanka
2 May 2013

OMG, what a movie. Thanks to Kirk De Micco & Chris Sanders for their great effort to make us laugh. Obviously, the whole movie theater was laughing continuously. Funniest thing happens one after one. The team at "The Croods" used very simple scenes and simple style to make crowed laugh. I was gone crazy when that stupid boy said "Dad, I don't have a BRAIN" and when they found "Snap-shot".I can't stop laughing. And about 3D modeling, they have done maximum effort to touch audience. I saw a little boy is trying to touch trees & asking from his dad "Dad, why I can't touch those trees. I wanna touch them....". Finally, I'm crazily awaiting to watch "The Croods 2" Thanks again.

Great Family Movie...About a Family

Author: stuartpiles from Morton Grove Il
29 April 2013

This is a great family movie. It is wonderful to watch and enjoy for that reason alone. A family deals with powerful problems within the family and outside of it. As it does so, it warms the heart in a very special way that hard to describe. While the story is somewhat predictable, the feeling of warmth that you have for the characters is not. I was surprised by how much I cared for all of the people in this film. I wanted this family to come together and overcome their difficulties. I was not let down and honestly, I cried out of happiness at the end. The first time that has happened in a very long time..

OK, I like sentimental films that work. and this film works. It takes you into a truly make believe world and makes you believe. The father is a warm and truly stubborn fellow who we learn to love as he deals with the rest of the family on its dangerous journey.The mom is strong and loving in her way and, the daughter has her own kind independence as teenage daughters do..So over time, we learn to care about the group in the same way that we cared about the troop of travelers in "Land Before Time." But this is much sharper and the characters have more depth and there is more comedy than the "Land". Also, because it is a journey with humans and a family we really like, our journey becomes more personal. We meet up with a new person who we also learn to care about and wish him success too. And we like the pets, yes pets.... And I will close by saying this: Croods is a very rare warm, entertaining and loving family film. And watching it is outstanding way to spend time with people you love...

For that is what this film is really about.

Eye feat with lots of fun

Author: aviavi77-600-776314 from India
25 April 2013

I was eagerly waiting for the movie as it was a late release in India. I watched it on the very first day it got released, Dream works has done a great job. At a moment, i felt it was like Avatar-2 as the team passes through the jungle. Animation work was an eye feast. I would love to see the same in IMAX version. Really hats off to the entire team for the hilarious comedy and mesmerizing color usage in graphics. For animation freaks, you would love this movie to the core. Worth watching...

Not only for kids, everyone will like the movie. Expecting the short films to come based on the same team.

Awaiting for the blue ray release....