IMDb > The Croods (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Croods

The Croods More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

VERY funny -- a very pleasant surprise!

Author: nanvan108 from United States
23 March 2013

I was talked into seeing this, and I have to shout it out, because it is a RIOT! I don't write many reviews, but when I love a film, I have to. If I have any complaint on this one, it's the title. I expected gross-out humor ("crude"). There isn't any, really. It's actually extremely unpredictable, subtle and extremely smart humor.

It has a story arc that you begin to somewhat anticipate, but you don't feel you're being patronized. Instead, you're left feeling that very intelligent people put this thing together in hopes that everyone would find something to love about it.

The cast is great, the animation is fun, and it's non-dizzying 3-D.

When I saw it, the entire audience clapped at the end, because we were entertained throughout, and found the ending really satisfying.

What else? Sweet emotions crop up because we can all relate to the family dynamics. Every family has the screw-up, the salt of the earth, the rebel, and the stubborn one. And it has one of the funniest babies ever put on film. A baby unlike any baby you'll ever see anywhere.

Very, very funny. Definitely recommend.

Excellent movie for the whole family to enjoy!

Author: marshaandjon from Fairfield, Ohio
17 March 2013

I saw this movie at a sneak preview this afternoon. This was a very enjoyable movie for our whole family. Me and my husband sat there and laughed frequently, being completely enthralled with the story and graphics. Meanwhile, my daughter and my 7 year-old grandson sat with us, and they also were laughing throughout most of the movie. It has something for people of all ages to enjoy. It was heartwarming, and at times, it totally pulls on your heartstrings, too. The characters were appealing, and the type you find yourself rooting for as time goes by, and the animals that interact with the humans frequently stole the show! I know that some critics will have issues with some of the fantastic creatures that are seen, and they may take issue with the extraordinary things that The Croods are able to do physically. I knew going into this movie that this movie was a work of fiction, though, and therefore I was able to suspend my expectations of reality, and go on the ride that Dreamworks wanted to take me on. I thoroughly enjoyed myself, and took this movie for what it was - a lighthearted comedy about a family going through changes, and how they deal with those changes. I would definitely recommend this as a great movie to see!!

Joyous fun

Author: susan worden
24 March 2013

In my life as a parent of a 10 and 12 year old, I have been to see a lot of animated kids movies, some of them quite painful to sit through. This one ranks at the top. The action, the humor, the characters, the plot, all rolled up in to a big ball of fun. I was belly laughing with my kids the whole way through it. And the message is lovely to boot. Excellent casting...the chemistry between the characters stood out in a way I never thought a cartoon could, no doubt due to the talent of the actors and standout animation (not something that I'm usually all that dazzled by.) It was the interaction, along with thoughtful humor of what is important in life, that really put this over the top for me. The complete implausibility of the plot didn't even mildly annoy me, the way stories of this genre sometimes do.

I could actually stand to watch this a second time. Well done Hollywood, please put this level of thought in to more children's movies.

Cavemen to Hunter/Gatherers Now Makes Sense

Author: westwindsjc from United States
22 March 2013

I took my 3 yr old Grandson and he sat on the edge of his seat the whole movie. We tried catching fire and flowers and once got hit in the face by a bird. The 3d seems to be on a new level of excellence. I'm a teacher and I totally now understand what scientists mean from cavemen to hunterers/gatherers and I think it will help children see it too and introduce them to tar pits, saber tooth tigers, earthquakes, and a lot of science stuff. The story was great, the characters were realistic to a family, and although sometimes the dad didn't get any respect, in the end it was apparent his love for his family and theirs for him. I highly recommend this to adults and children.

Beautiful on so many levels

Author: ishouldsay from Pittsburgh, PA
22 March 2013

Take a child to see this beautifully made, thoughtful, animated feature. I went by myself, but the theater was full of children, and their laughter at the myriad slapstick humor added so much to the experience. Which is better;staying safe or taking risks? This is the premise of "The Croods" as the Crood family and Guy, a newcomer, experience tectonic plate shifts and other violent geologic events together. Interspersed with these big changes, though, are Eden-like ecosystems where the colors are vibrant and inviting. Emma Stone, Nicholas Cage, and Ryan Reynolds are perfectly cast. I will be buying this movie when it comes to DVD.

Behold... A Prehistoric Age Where Humans Still Live... Apparently For Now!

Author: Raron Earthling from Earth
22 March 2013

The Croods, a name most bizarre to be given as a title of a movie, but the content, just fantastic! I may even add to say that Dreamworks has lived up to its expectations in delivering exceptionally amazing animated movies and their latest release, The Croods is no exception. The story begins by introducing us to a rather diverse family of a couple, their three children and an old grandmother(who just wouldn't die) and setting is a prehistoric age where they are supposedly the only living humans. The movie then goes on to bring an extra character just named "Guy" and his sidekick Belt(an animal) who goes on to proclaim that the end of the world is near and their only hope for survival was to aim for the mountains far ahead. A simple plot it seems no doubt, but the way the movie was crafted was just fantastic and if that wasn't enough, you might actually find yourself laughing a couple of times no matter what age you might be of. There might be many movies out there to be watched but "The Croods" is a film which is guaranteed to be enjoyed. It might not be the best film out there, but it certainly is a great one which has its own comedic and adventurous moments, a movie for the whole family out there and to all those who prefer watching it in 3-D, the effects are seriously good in this film and your choice would be a valid one. All in all, no matter what age you may be, "The Croods" might just bring back a smile or a few memories of those old childhood fantasies where anything was possible.

Slapstick Heavy Family Fun

Author: freemantle_uk from United Kingdom
21 March 2013

From DreamWorks studios comes its latest animated adventure, the prehistoric family comedy The Croods. It is a slapstick-heavy family movie that should delight young children and keep parents entertained.

The Croods are the last remaining family in an arid desert landscape. They have survived by following family patriarch Grug's (Nicolas Cage) rules to the letter, including staying in the cave after dark and fearing anything that seems new (new is BAAAD). Despite this, teenage daughter Eep (Emma Stone) wants to break free and rebels against her father, which results in a chance meeting with the highly inventive Guy (Ryan Reynolds), who warns her that the end of the world is nigh. When the Croods' cave is destroyed, the family is forced on a journey into a strange new world where Grug's rules clash with Guy's techniques for survival.

The Croods is a formulaic movie that sticks to a traditional hero's journey and relies on typical archetypes, but it's elevated by the writing and direction of Kirk DeMicco and How to Train Your Dragon's Chris Sanders. Like Sanders' previous work, The Croods focuses on a family's dynamic and relationships. This time, the focus is on a protective father who wants to protect his family physically and protect his daughter from a member of the opposite sex who suddenly challenges his position as the alpha male. While the trailers and first half of the movie made is seem Eep was the main character, it's actually Grug who goes through the greatest change and learns the biggest lessons.

The story is one about learning, exploring, and using one's intelligence. It also touches on the idea that it's unhealthy to live a sheltered life. But at times, the movie lays it on a bit too much with Guy and his "solutions" leaving Grug on the losing end.

Most of the humour used in The Croods is very physical and slapstick oriented. Characters have Loony Toons levels of invincibility as they endure intense physical pain. This type of humour obviously appeals to fairly young children, but I would be lying if I said I did not laugh at the film at all. The Croods avoids using crude toilet humour to generate cheap laughs. There is not much in the way of verbal humour, but there are some running gags, and modernisms are kept to a minimum. They are still there but they are more putting modern products in a Stone Age setting, a little like The Flintstones, so they serve more as pop-cultural winks to adults.

As expected from a DreamsWork movie the animation is fantastic. It's quick and fluid, and the camera flows nicely as it follows the action. The Croods themselves have a seemingly unpleasant, bulky design to them but it actually works in the context of the film because the characters live in the wild, so big and broad makes sense. It is a little refreshing to see the main female character is not made out to be a stunning beauty, but rather someone who has been shaped by her environment. The beginning of the movie starts with in dry, mono-coloured landscapes before we get to see the bright colours of the jungle and continually seeing the weird creature reminiscence of designs of Sanders' previous works.

Like other animated movies these days, The Croods has a big name voice cast and they also do a decent, if standard job. No one disgraces themselves. Cage is an unusual choice, but he gives a strong performance. There is only one time when Cage is let off the handle; Unfortunately, that is when we are experiencing the most modernism the movie has to offer.

The Croods is not going to match the heights of DreamsWorks major hits of Shrek, Kung Fu Panda, and How to Train Your Dragon. But it certainly does not belong with the dregs the studio has to offer. It does what it sets out to do: make a movie that will please children while attempting to give a positive message and some heart. It has an old-fashioned sense of humour that leads to a surprisingly enjoyable animated movie.

Please visit www.entertainmentfuse.com

Loved it!!!

Author: Sam Song from United States
24 March 2013

I have never written a review on a movie before no matter how good or bad. But this movie really deserves high praise! I had brought the kids to see a few other animated movies before this like Wreck-it Ralph and Rise of the Guardian, but they turned out to be somewhat boring and unengaged. So I went into this not expecting much, it was more for the kids. To my surprise, I LOVED IT! It's different, funny, smart, and adventurous. I found myself giggling through most of the movies and at other times astounded by the visual effects. I also see my kids and other kids sitting at the edge of their seats at times. It is great for all ages. The picture was stunning and saturated with imagination. Dreamworks has outdone themselves with this one. I highly recommend taking your family to see this!

Saw it, loved it, nuff said.

Author: bbizzle from United States
23 March 2013

I was of course hoping that Dreamworks would have a hit here after the unfortunate demise of Rise of the Guardians (I actually enjoyed the first ROTG book but couldn't get through the second book) which killed that franchise. I saw The Croods on opening day at a matinée and I loved it. I laughed, I cried (yes, just a bit) and I had so much fun that I didn't want it to end (Dun Dun Daaaaa). I've been reading the early message boards and prior mixed buzz so I was a little worried here and it's unfortunate that folks are so quick to try and tear something down based on a trailer or someone else's opinion. Go see it for yourself and have fun! I give this 10 big stars and can't wait to add it to my collection. My only regret is that I went to the first showing rather than wait for the 3D screening. I'm a little jealous by some of the great 3D comments. Even in 2D, the animators create a wonderful world, make us feel good and really get us excited to get out and have an adventure.

Zany Ideas

Author: Mek Torres from Los Banos, Laguna, Philippines
25 March 2013

The Croods seems like it's gonna be just another Dreamworks Animated film that has crazy little characters messing around with their antics on a preposterous world. Well, these kinds of films are remarkably fun and has impressive technical achievements but there's nothing else to merit in the end. The Crood is almost one of those simple crazy films if not because of the philosophy that was displayed on the premise. Basically, it's about a zany version of the prehistoric times and a survival on the continental drift. The conflict of this plot is the titular family's choices if they would choose to follow their overprotective father or a stranger who makes daring ideas to survive from the natural condition. Disappointingly, the conclusion goes to the easy way. It doesn't go beyond the comfort zone, but the visuals transcend. The animation is getting better and better. It's totally fun but there are things that could have been more complex.

Everything is ought to be silly and hilarious. The beginning gives a set of ridiculous sequences to easily get to know about these characters. When it finally proceeds to the actual plot, it tells something sophisticated. It's an opposition between safety and getting away from your comfort zone. It ends up being obvious when it is suppose to be complex. But that is what the film wants, be simple and delightful all the way. The film doesn't necessarily need to be deep or emotional, but there is something clever to its concept that could have been smarter.

The best thing about the film is the characters. The performances simply brought them to life. Emma Stone perfectly gives her role a fitting personality. It sounds perfect for Nicolas Cage to play a caveman. He yells at a monkey in one scene which is a usual pleasure from him, but there is more to the Grug character than just yelling. While Cage is having fun, he brings a strong emotional depth to the rest of his scenes. The characters of Clark Duke and Cloris Leachman provide most of the laughs and they effectively show off its joy.

The visual effects are even more spectacular than the rest of the studio's films. Just like their recent films, it's snappy and energetic. The film's world looks amazingly eye candy and imaginative. The prehistoric characters and animals are wonderfully designed. The animal designs are meant to be ironic, like some of them got their food chain reversed eventually or their hybrid will some day become their fear. It's a slick joke. And for the 3D, you know it's great as long as it's from Dreamworks Animation.

It leaves a great amount of heart and fun, but its enlightenment theme results as being underwhelming and somewhat contrived. It would have made this more than just a typical Dreamworks film, but it doesn't matter because the movie is definitely suppose to be delightful for the entire family. It still takes some clever points. It's also great to see a load of spectacular animation. It is indeed truly enjoyable and full of life. The Croods is far from classic but this is kind of film that would enjoy anytime.

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]