IMDb > Hall Pass (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Why all the haters?

Author: doomsyer from United States
7 March 2011

I don't understand all the haters on here about this movie? I thought it was funny and laughed all the way through, and so did my wife. It is a lot funnier than Little Fockers was, and that is not saying much. It is a great movie to go and watch and just sit back and laugh and forget your troubles. What is wrong with some crude humor? I guess since I am in my 40s, and have friends that talk and act like the ones in the movie, it just was funnier to me...who knows....

I guess to each their own......

For me, I wish they would put out more funny movies like this. I haven't laughed so hard in a very long time....

Moderately entertaining, but still very far from the Farrelly bros' best times

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
15 April 2011

I remember that there was a time in which I was enthusiastic to see the phrase "A new movie from co-directors Peter and Bobby Farrelly!", but that was 10 years ago. The Farrelly bros. made four brilliant comedies in a row (Dumb and Dumber; Kingpin; There's Something About Mary; and Me, Myself and Irene), and back in that time, many people (including me) considered them as the kings of the modern cinematographic comedy. However, it seems that the time diluted the sense of humor they showed in those four movies, or maybe, the commercial success impulsed them to "evolute" to a less coarse and more emotional style (which would eventually be usurped by director Judd Apatow and his imitators). Anyway, I found the films they made after Me, Myself and Irene to be insipid comedies with trite scatological humor and cloying emotions. Now, Hall Pass is another mediocre comedy in their filmography, but I found it to be much better than their two previous films (Fever Pitch -2005- and The Heartbreak Kid -2007-).

The screenplay from Hall Pass is too predictable and a bit weak, but that is partially redeemed by some good moments of reflexive comedy. On the other side of the coin, we also have too many apparatus scenes of slapstick and vulgarity which feel too forced. Something which was done well by the Farrelly bros. in Hall Pass was filling some supporting roles with exaggerated characters which satirize very particular strata from North American society. I have to say that the absurd version of the perfect suburban family led by the characters Ed and Britney made me to have some laughs, something which is also a merit of the competent performances from Rob Moran and Lauren Bowles; and I also liked the character of the classic old-young man, which is well interpreted by Richard Jenkins.

I think it would have been more interesting to see an interpretation of the story told by Hall Pass made with the style of films like Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice or An Unmarried Woman, but well, I guess that the political correction has became more important for the Farrelly bros. than the narrative irreverence, so we can expect in here the trite moral lessons, various illogical jokes and forced comic rudeness which already characterize the work from these filmmakers. At least, Owen Wilson and Jason Sudeikis managed to take the maximum advantage out of the mediocre screenplay by bringing good performances, something which also applies to Jenna Fischer and Christina Applegate as their characters' wives. In summary, I did not like Hall Pass very much, but at least it did not bore me and it occasionally made me laugh, something which makes it worthy of a slight recommendation.

Different view.

Author: Tiburcio72 from Mexico
13 July 2011

Seems that not everybody understood the plot. Maybe they were expecting a Vince Vaungh performance. First, the hall pass was given under a misinterpretation and overreaction. These guys were dorks and good husbands, not studs trapped in a marriage that missed their bachelor years. At the end, one of the wives recognizes that the one that needed that break was her, not the husband. If you were expecting a wild and crazy behavior after permission was granted, look for another stupid "guy flick" at Vegas. There were few clichés, like the use of pot and a shart (fart and diarrhea), but even the last one deserved a laugh. Good dorky movie, specially that Kevin James was not in it.

Go Get Your "Hall Pass"

Author: jgregg42 from United States
25 February 2011

Have you ever wondered what happened to the crew of guys from the first "American Pie" movie? After they lost "it" I often wonder what happened after they got married and had kids and moved out to the suburbs. What happened 20 years later when they were no longer the "Big Men on Campus"?

Thanks to the new release by the Farrelly brothers (Bobby and Peter who also brought us "Dumb and Dumber" and "Kingpin") we are now able to see the rest of the story. "Hall Pass" is by no means a sequel in the "American Pie" series but both films did remind me of how most men are wired for sexual conquests from puberty onward.

"Hall Pass" captured America's well known character - the middle age suburbanite male and gave him a hall pass. A hall pass is a weeklong excuse for married men to behave badly, drink to excess and sleep with whomever.

We start the movie with Rick (played by Owen Wilson) and Fred (played by Jason Sudeikis) attending an award banquet with their wives. They think they have the "scoping-chicks-out-in-secret" scheme down perfectly while their wives know what dogs they really have become over the years. It's not that Rick and Fred are totally miserable in their marriages but they think that they could be getting some serious action if they weren't tied down. Fred has even resorted to finding a way to relieve some of his sexual tensions in his car.

Their wives, Maggie (played by Jenna Fischer) and Grace (played by Christina Applegate), speak with a psychiatrist friend of theirs who gives them the idea of letting their husbands have a week off of their marriage so that they can carouse and let some of their male tendencies rule. At the end of the week they come back and have stronger marriages because of the freedom. Hey, I am sure it works in theory.

Once the guys are loose, they have some troubles getting back in the game. They are like two disoriented bulls in a china shop; they neither have any idea how they got there nor how to move around with any tact.

The week moves quickly with the guys bar hopping at family restaurants. They embark on a hilarious golf outing after eating some brownies laced with pot. By the third night they are called out on their manhood by their friends. Rick and Fred, like a lot of guys, talk a big game but have very little action to back up their smack talk.

While the boys are trying their hardest using tasteless pick-up lines and getting drunk to build their confidence, the wives are being themselves and living it up with a minor league baseball team in Cape Cod. As an indirect result to allowing the husbands go out, the wives are also permitted a hall pass. However, the wives aren't as shameless about their newfound freedom.

The movie moves on with many quotable one liners and quite a few shock moments. But, it wouldn't be a true Farrelly brothers' movie without one or two shock moments. Remember the hair gel scene in "There's Something About Mary?" The same goes with "Hall Pass," with a lot of big risks comes a lot of big rewards for the audience.

Should you see this movie? Yes. The actors played off of each with ease. Along with a well-written script, it all came together for several big laughs. However, if you are not comfortable with sexual references or outlandish sight gags, this might not be the film for you. If you are the type to laugh at "American Pie," "Superbad," "Step Brothers" or any other over the top comedy then this would definitely be a pick for you.

Criminally Underrated!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
26 January 2013

Hall Pass is definitely a sweet and raucous film that is vastly underrated. I almost skipped this movie because of the bad things I was hearing about it. But because it has Owen Wilson starring and that talented Farrelly Brothers at the helm, I decided to give this film a shot. There are better R-rated comedies out there, but this still is a respectable one with lots of funny and dramatic moments.

This film is about two friends who are given hall passes from their wives. That pretty much means they can do whatever they want as they get a week off from their marriages. But will they be doing the right thing?.....

Owen Wilson always gives off a certain charm no matter what movie he is in. He played more of the straight-laced guy here but he still was good. I think Jason Sudekis will be a big comedy star because he had some really funny moments.

Overall, Hall Pass is another good entry in the R-rated comedy category of which 2011 was famous for. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie from beginning to end. There are a few stretches that are meant to be funny but really are not. But, most comedies are like that. I rate this film 8/10.

A little bit of raunch and a lot of heart...

Author: Terry Roehrig II from United States
16 June 2011

This movie was written and directed by The Farrelly Brothers. They've done There's Something About Mary, Kingpin and Dumb & Dumber. They've actually tamed down over the past few years and started doing some movies with heart (Shallow Hal, Fever Pitch). This one is actually a cross between Mary and Hal. It's raunchy in some places but for the most part, it's got a lot of heart.

Rick (Wilson) is given a week off from marriage by his wife, Maggie (Fischer). Fred (Sudeikis) is also given a week off from marriage from his wife, Grace (Applegate). Of course, this would never happen in real life... no self-respecting woman would ever do this to herself. Since this is the movies, Maggie and Grace's reasoning behind this is... let the dogs off the leash and they'll no longer want to have affairs. It's actually pretty funny on how they both earned their hall passes in the first place. I won't say anything, you can just watch it.

The movie starts out just fine, kind of lags in the middle (Day 1 through 4 of said titular hall pass) and then picks up again near the end. Speaking of the ending, it gets a little madcap and over-the-top for my taste, I felt like I was watching an episode of Benny Hill. All they needed was the music and it would have been like a 2011 update. I felt like there was a lot more territory to explore in this premise and yes, I get that men over 40 tire out sooner, that their lives have slowed down... but still. i just felt like something was missing.

The main reason to watch Hall Pass is the comic performances by Wilson and Sudeikis and the hilarious exchange of dialog between them and their friends (Merchant, Campbell, Smoove) and some pretty funny bits about them trying to 'play out of their league'. Practically anybody could have played the wives, because Applegate and Fischer bring absolutely nothing to the party but a familiar face and name. More reviews at www.soveryterry.com Final Grade: B-

You WILL Laugh - Even after the Credits Roll.

Author: ChipperX from United States
27 February 2011

"Hall Pass", the latest movie from the Farrelly brothers starring Owen Wilson (Rick) and Jason Sudeikis (Fred), is a raunchy comedy that serves up "distasteful" humor. The movie has an intended audience: People (male and female) who enjoy raunchy, racy, "dirty" comedy. If you laughed until you cried while watching "There's Something About Mary", then you will most likely appreciate this flick. If you thought "Dumb And Dumber" was just plain stupid, then you will probably not enjoy "Hall Pass".

The Premise: Two married, middle-aged men, Rick (Wilson) and Fred (Sudeikis) are in loving but sexually-unexciting marriages. They portray the typical horny male with sex on the brain who ogles women frequently.They believe their wandering eyes are clandestine, but unfortunately they are caught scoping chicks by their wives, played by Jenna Fischer (Maggie) and Christina Applegate (Grace). After the wives witness a few cringe-worthy scenes of male libido gone wild within their husbands, they are encouraged by their friend, a therapist, to allow the men a "week off" from marriage to cure their wanderlust.

The Execution: "Hall Pass" is not an Oscar-worthy movie - nor is it incredibly original. The stars do not deliver Shakespearean-level performances. What you get is exactly what the trailers promise: A desperately funny, sad, tragic and raunchy comedy that both entertains and enlightens. The opening scenes which set up the movie's premise are fresh and raucous - look for the scene involving the "Stepford" family and their safe-room video cameras. I actually learned a new lexicon which, I am sure, will become popular amongst my Facebook friends: "Big Mouth Vagina", "Fake Chow," and "Oversexed Bobble-head". Also, witness the quiet desperation of Wilson (Rick) and Sudeikis (Fred) as they ogle the coffee house barrista. The second act of the movie is pretty dirty - and quite laughable. I will not give anything away, here - not every joke in the movie is razor sharp or fresh, and some of it is a bit stale. However, you certainly get what you paid for - a few moments of diamond-hard nastiness so crude you might never have imagined it yourself.

Whether it was intentional or not, the movie succeeds and / or fails in the over-the-hill physical presentation of the couples. Wilson and Sudeikis looked slightly old and fat, while Fischer and Applegate looked slightly pale and fine-line wrinkly. I understand that the movie's premise revolves around middle-aged couples, but I did not really enjoy the stars' tired-looking appearance - why could they not have been portrayed as older-but-still-sexy? Applegate as Grace is really the only married character who looked like she still kept herself up. This, of course, is only a minor quibble - the directors obviously felt that a bit of paunch and wrinkle was necessary to make the characters more believable.

The third act of "Hall Pass" offers a satisfactory conclusion to this cautionary tale. Rick and Fred are able to rejoin Maggie and Grace after realizing that they did indeed already have everything they needed to enjoy happy unions with their spouses. Pay close attention, here: There are a few unpredictable, surprising moments which make the movie well-worth seeing and definitely elevate the film within its shock-humor genre. Is this a bit of a "Hollywood" ending? You bet it is - but in this age of common infidelity and skyrocketing divorce, I feel the conclusory message of the movie is quite poignant, and yes - uplifting. The characters each learn "hard" lessons which will hopefully strengthen their unions for years to come (pun intended).

Final Credits Scene Alert: Many people, after viewing the movie in the theater, will rise from their seats and hurry out to continue their lives as the credits begin to roll. STOP! Don't do it! One hilarious scene and one humorous out-take remains - much like the final scene in "The Hangover". Do yourself a favor and stay until the credits have COMPLETELY finished. This is becoming more and more common in movies - pivotal sequel clues and codas are now frequently left in the final credits. I don't mind this at all - for me, the movie is not finished until the credits have stopped rolling.

Final Recommendation: While some people may feel that the humor in "Hall Pass" is over the top, I must respectfully disagree. You go into a movie of this type with your eyes wide open, and the trailers all point to one thing - one heck of a "dirty" movie. There shouldn't be anyone who knows anything about the premise of this movie who feels cheated because you get exactly what you pay for: Hilariously concocted set-piece after set-piece of trashy, low-brow hi-jinx. With respect to execution of raunchy comedy, the Farrelly brothers deliver in high, grotesque style. Anyone seeing a movie at the theater can expect some level of predictability. The really good movies deliver unexpected surprises and plot twists that leave you talking for a few days. "Hall Pass", in my humble opinion, is that type of movie.

"Hall Pass" delivers a splendid menu of delicious depravity for the audience to digest. If you do not like this type of sexual comedy, then please wait for your friends to see it instead, and get the story second-hand from them - but I am sure that they will summarize the movie with knowing, private smiles on their faces and wicked gleams in their eyes.

Concept: 10 out of 10 Stars. Execution: 9 out of 10 Stars. Overall Rating: 10 out of 10 Stars.

- Chipper F. Xavier, Esq.

Mr. Wilson & Sudeikis to the Principal's Office

Author: scott mccowan from United States
25 February 2011

The Farrelly Bros have once again come out with a "GUY'S Movie. No chick flick here. Laughs from beginning to end and yes a realization who truly needed the Hall Pass.

Raunchy guy humor from beginning to end, 'Fake Chow', vagina jokes and bordering on gay stuff does (pardon the pun) arise come into play.

I cannot think of a movie I've laughed harder at in months. Debates concerning a wealthy friend's family portrait; an other buddy who's suppose to be a dating guru teaching them how to judge 10's when amongst other women were some of the things to look forward to. And why sneezing could be harmful to your maid.

Over all I found the it funny and worth either the matinée or full price to go see. And DVD worthy.

Repeating this is GUY FLICK not a chick flick so yes get ready to be grossed out at times.

Hall Pass — A week off for easy humor

Author: Avid Climber from Montreal, Canada
3 March 2013

Hall Pass is a silly movie for all those guys who wished they could still fool around when married, all the while thinking it's their wife's fault.

It's funny, it has ridiculous ideas that it pulls off by sheer force, and it will go at some length of ridicule to extract a laugh from its audience. I must say that the safe room scene was freaking hilarious.

It's a lowball flick with Owen Wilson pulling an acceptable performance and Jason Sudeikis playing on par for his style. The little morals they try to pull in the story get swamped under all the rest, so it's just for fun, really.

Overall, you'll be entertained, but don't expect it do be anything else.

Hall Pass Great!

Author: joshuatkinson73 from Australia
22 July 2011

Look, i have read many reviews and many people are saying this movie is rubbish, boring etc.... i read those reviews before i watched the movie. I don't know why there are so many haters around this movie, but i thought it was very funny and entertaining.

Sure, Owen Wilson will never be as good of an Actor he used to be, but i think this is the best you are going to see from him in a long while. I thought this movie had many funny moments and many parts i scratched my head over. If you enjoyed "The Hangover" i recommend this movie to you, if you think about it there quite similar. But if you didn't enjoy "The Hangover" and you are some general Comedy fan, i urge you to go see this movie.

Not a bad film at all.