IMDb > Pyaar Ke Side Effects (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Pyaar Ke Side Effects

Pyaar Ke Side Effects More at IMDbPro »

The New Face of the Urban Indian Comedy.

Author: kooleshwar (rahulsg@hotmail.com) from India
13 October 2006

For starters I had mixed feelings about this movie, after I saw the teasers I knew I had to see this movie but I was really apprehensive about the Yuppie Cast that this movie had, besides Mallika Sherawat (who despite what they say is a fine actress),the rest of the crew were mainly people who were well respected maybe in the snooty critique circles who use words like delightfully decadent and deceptively derivative and such crap to describe art.

I WAS DOUBTFUL THAT THEY WOULD BE ABLE TO PULL OF A COMMERCIAL VENTURE LIKE THIS.

But boy was I surprised.......

In 5 mins I knew this movie was definitely going to be worth the time and the money (when you pay 80 rs in regal there is hardly any doubt in that hehe).

I soon realised that this movie has obviously been inspired and adapted into the Indian concept, but the works from which it has been inspired such as COUPLING are such brilliant pieces of work on the subject of gender differences and attraction that even the poorest copy of it cannot be bad, ALthough the SIDE EFFECTS OF THE SAME ARE VERY MUCH THERE.

I loved the fact, that we are shown a mature relationship between adults who we can can identify with and not the Malhotras and Viranis who only exist in the imaginations of the writers, and in any case are impossible to identify with.

Its great so see a DJ earning a modest income and traveling by cab and not the builders and the crores being spoken like it was loose change.

Yes despite the commercial format of this movie Rahul Bose was in the end Rahul Bose but I'm not complaining he was completely in his element in fact I cannot emphasise how perfect the casting and acting of this movie is. Every character down to Suchitra Pillai as the abrasive over protective friend was perfect.

The acting from the entire cast was right up there and once again Rahul Bose and Mallika Sherwat prove what fine actors they are.

And the jokes..... they were absolutely hilarious, when the poor guy is trying to watch the cricket match is asked to give attention to his girlfriend I couldn't stop laughing when I remember how I and my friends (girls) react in this situation.

And this was just the beginning, the Delhi marriages, the fact that women have the ability to win any argument by the power of their tears, the height difference between the boy and the girl, the fact that most supposedly casual relations end up being anything but casual, the abrasive judge-mental dad, the annoying friends.................................and many more.

This movie is crammed with great scenes, jokes and one liners.

AND FOR THE FIRST TIME THAT I CAN REMEMBER A PRODUCT IS PLACED ON THE SCREEN THE WAY IT SHOULD BE........

I mean it didn't take a dumb-ass to notice that there were in fact cans of red-bull scattered all over the bar or the brand on the pizza box that was been discarded etc.

Compare that to such disasters such as Virudh (the reigning king ) Krissh etc.

For a slightly lower budget film the movie was technically very good.

The soundtrack of this movie is brilliant and is definitely going to rock the nightclubs for some time to come.

THIS MOVIE UNFOLDS FROM THE GUYS POINT OF VIEW AND THAT MAKES IS SUPER FOR GUYS AND WONDERFUL IF YOU HAVE GIRLS WITH YOU.

Still you wonder after all the raving how come I gave this movie an 8.

OK so 1 mark is lost entirely due to the fact that this movie is in fact inspired and despite being very well adapted the residues of the influence can well be seen, and there are a numerous scenes that show the influence of a Foreign HAND in this otherwise completely urban Indian movie.

The other mark is lost for the some really over the top and annoying scenes towards the end of the movie such the stripping scene and the overly long and drawn out mourning and the stupid way in which casual sex was handled, I mean on one end you show a guy as being a complete lose with women and on the other hand you show him having casual sex with a sexy door to door salesman, and whats with the morally challenged item girl having a conscience and the otherwise morally sound guy starting to believe in casual sex.

The songs were somewhat overused in the film I mean the soundtrack was already a hit, there was no reason to go back to the outdated concept of showing entire songs in the movie when they don't serve the purpose of furthering the story or providing comic relief.

This movie may not win any awards but it will be remembered for bringing the modern urban Indian ordinary guy out from the festival circuit into mainstream cinema.

Yes we may still be a decade away from having our own versions of the gender difference but this is as good as it gets.

In all a great package which save for a few glaring flaws is absolutely delightful and a must watch for anyone and everyone.

-s some really annoying and over the top scenes mainly towards the end, the obvious and unappetising foreign influences in the scenes and the humour, some obvious flaws.

+/-s Rahul Bose and a Yuppie unknown cast, influenced from masterpieces.

+s path breaking cinema, huge number of hilarious jokes, very easy to identify with especially for urban Indians, technically up there, great soundtrack.

PS I went for this movie with a girl and I recommend you do the same.

This may become the first movie with any English words in its title to enjoy even moderate success.

Murphy's Law of Relationships.....

Author: Avinash Patalay from Middle Earth
1 December 2008

Pyar Ke Side Effects – There is something about this movie which makes it click. Attempting to pinpoint a lone factor will be a futile. But yes one can safely give the credit to the efforts deployed in pre-production and its effective translation onto the silver screen (the latter of course being the most challenging part).

¤ Rahul Bose doesn't need any praise for his performance. Spot on!

¤ Mallika Sherawat: I had little respect for this "bimbo starlet" and categorised her meteoric rise to her manipulative publicity and manipulative features (he! he!). Watching Pyar Ke Side Effects threw that notion out of the window. She fits into the character like hand in glove. And yes, if its anyone who gets/ should get/ deserves maximum mileage and opportunity laid on a platter owing to the success of the movie then its got to be MS.

¤ Sophiya:: No wonder why she is still confined to item girl roles, very puppetry acting. Seriously needs some acting lessons to add to her balance sheet (he! he! again).

¤ Jeeju-Sister:: Good performance and well balanced character roles. And the father-faining act is copied from "Jhankaar Beats", BTW.

¤ Ranvir Shorey: As far as I remember it was from this movie I started paying attention to Ranvir. If there is any other actor who would come on Top-Of-Mind-Recall when PYAR KE SIDE EFFECTS is uttered, then its gotta be Naanu.

¤ Sharat Saxena:: As usual, dependable.

¤ Jas Arora & Suchitra Pillai: Fit the bill effectively. It couldn't have got any better.

The never-ending battle between Delhi and Bombay is well presented. And of course the coffee. And the protagonist being a DJ… all these adds to say that the director is in sync with the times. The innovative ideas such as the comic book type animation and the protagonist connecting with the audience deserves brownie points.

Even during channel surfing if one happens to stumble upon Pyar Ke Side Effects, its difficult to resist stopping by and catching up with a few moments of the movie….. and needless to say, one would end up watching the rest.

A Must Watch!

Author: from Canada
26 December 2006

I began watching this movie, not knowing what the storyline was going to be or whether or not it would be a waste of time; however, I am a Rahul Bose fan and knew that it couldn't be all that bad. I must admit, I was pleasantly surprised. The story revolves around a couple - Bose and Sherawat - who have been dating for three years. Sherawat is ready to get married while Bose is not. We find this out in literally the first 5 minutes of the movie. What spans the rest of the two hours are real life situations that I am positive everyone who has been in a relationship can relate to. There were many scenes that had me cracking up. The dialogues were amazing and the progression of the film was fabulous. A must watch with your significant other or friends...definitely not with the family! The acting was amazing. Rahul Bose proved once again that he is absolutely hilarious. His comic timing and facial expressions were priceless. Although, I am not a fan of Malika Sherawat, I must admit, she suited this role to the T. She looked amazing and gave a good performance.

If you are looking for 2 hours of comedy and entertainment...and a chance to re-evaluate your own personal relationship then watch Pyar ke Side Effects!!!

Worth watching once

Author: Apurv Nagpal from India
3 October 2006

Imagine a love story with every cliché possible, every predictable twist and turn but it still manages to make you laugh…and in some parts makes you laugh very loudly. I went into this movie with very low expectations and came out with the movie having delivered a notch above.

Sid (Rahul Bose), is a DJ who meets Trisha (Mallika Sherawat) when he is playing songs at her wedding in Delhi and she is contemplating running away. Six months later they meet again, now in Mumbai. They meet some more… they fall in love ! When Trisha proposes marriage after three years, Sid is not quite ready – they then break up, patch up, break up again etc. On Trisha's side, we have the typical over-protective father, another typical over-protective best friend and as the side love interest, the guy who she was going to get married to but ran away (at least this was something different). Sid, on his corner, has a Rhys Ifans (Spike in Notting Hill) style best friend (Ranvir Sheorey) who never bathes / changes underwear, an understanding brother in law / sister and as his love interest, the wonderfully voluptuous star (Sophie Choudhary) of the album Baby Doll Volume 3 (doesn't leave much to the imagination, does it ?).

As you've guessed, the plot is not really the strong point of the movie. What is great is the style of the movie – its shot in a partly demo style, where Rahul frequently talks to the camera in the middle of scenes, kind of lecturing on what is happening. What is also very good is the honesty of the movie – no topic is taboo, they go and make fun of topics which previously were kind of off-limits (there is a full discussion around bra-straps and why they are so complicated to open for men, there is another conversation between Rahul and his Mr Big). And finally, the jokes are brilliant…I think some of them are lifted from English movies, but no worries because they have indianised them beautifully. We have Mallika's refreshing take on what makes Delhi women different from Mumbai ones (and around the whole Mumbai vs Delhi thing in general). We have this other discussion around why marriage is not good for men, proof being that no superhero is married (I swear I've heard this before, but can't remember where – in any case its so wonderfully indianised that you'll laugh out aloud anyways !) This is the first movie I saw of Mallika's and I was really pleasantly surprised. I think casting Rahul Bose opposite her was a mistake – he came across as quite wooden, his dialogue delivery is quite stiff, Hindi a bit accented, definitely not as spontaneous as Mallika. Ranvir Sheorey was brilliant again as the best friend as was Aamir Bashir as the brother in law.

So, put the kids to sleep and go enjoy…not one movie that you're going to see many times or buy the DVD but definitely worth a look-see… For more of my reviews check apurvbollywood at blogspot

side effects of a relationship...

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
29 July 2007

I was quite hesitant about watching this flick as I didn't like Sherawat's Murder. After some recommendations, I watched it last night and thought it was quite enjoyable and likable. Saket Chaudhary tells the story in a light manner. My only complaint is that Saket takes a lot of the humour from American sitcoms and movies. 'Pyaar ke Side Effects' tells us the story of Sid (from his point of view), his relationship with his girlfriend and friends and his fear of commitment. Sounds familiar? Anyway many of the 'issues' presented are things we guys have dealt with and girls put up with. The story is quite relatable and told in a mature manner.

Rahul Bose plays the central character and totally owns the movie. He is so real that any guy can easily identify with him. Supporting cast that includes Ranvir Shorey and Sophia Chaudhary are equally brilliant. Mallika Sherawat is alright. The songs are alright but quite forgettable.

If you're looking for something with light humour and something to watch with your girlfriend/boyfriend, this is a god enough choice. Now I can smile at you mischievously :).

This is out and out Fun movie

Author: bollywoodplusplus from United States
23 June 2007

This is like a modern version of good old Basu Chatterjee fun movie. There is hardly a single boring point.

The star cast is apt - Rahul Bose is excellent, Mallika Sherawat is probably very different for all her previous movie roles. Although I haven't seen any of her movies before, but I think she is known for different kind of movies. But I was pleasantly surprised.

The technical department did a very decent job, the art of the movie says a lot with its colors. Quite pleasant to look at.

I think it takes a great director to make a comedy like this, to know the borderline of comedy and farce. Or witty and boring. The débutant director Saket Chaudhary wins big time here.

I think 'Ranvir Shorey' is one of the most underrated comic actor in the country today. You have to watch this movie for him. (and he also steals the show in 'Khosla ka Ghosla'). Brilliant actor. Excellent comic timing.

cute film

Author: Dream_Woman from United Kingdom
7 January 2008

Well i am not much of a Mallika Sherawat fan but after i watched this film recently she is okay i guess but needs to pick better roles in the films that she does.

I loved Rahul Bose in this film, he was quite funny in the film, anyways he plays a guy called Sid who dates Trisha (Mallika Sherawat), now she wants to settle down after 3 years of being together be he refuses as he is not ready for commitment,anyways after the highs and lows in the movie they finally get married,a typical plywood ending.

The music was nice and i liked her item number that she did, she looked pretty hot, anyway overall i did like this film and it IRS worth watching with a few girl mates and popcorn.

After long a really good comedy with real-to-life characters

Author: Sanj from Delhi, India
21 September 2006

This is a very remarkable attempt at making a romantic comedy much in the spirit of Hollywood movies like "sleepless in Seattle" and "meet the parents".

It is about a DJ, Rahul Bose, who bumps into this Delhite girl, Malika Sherawat, and a relationship brews for 3 years and all helter skelter breaks when Malika sets forward the desire to get married, which of course like any typical guy Rahul Bose is not ready for.

The charm of this movie is in its comedy, good acting by Bose, some really good punch lines and the fact that being a Hindi movie it still stays close to reality. Of late I can hardly remember a Hindi movie comedy that had characters that were real. Some scenes really got my bones hurting with all the laughing I was doing .. which trust me I haven't done in a very long long long time. Definitely kudos to the script writer.

In a nutshell: Definitely a must watch comedy movie, but not for the kids.

terrific movie

Author: econashirvadp-3600 from Delhi, India
15 April 2014

I don't remember having laughed and enjoyed so much in a Hindi movie before.The movie is a complete gamut of emotions much better than a DDLJ as there is nothing extraordinary the hero has to do here no convincing,no tears,no heart wrenching dialogues,no getting bashed up he is just like any average guy who has fallen in love.The leads were amazing mallika looked gorgeous and desirable even with very little make up.Ranvir Shorey is hilarious I often paused for a few moments before i could gather myself together.There should be a sequel to this awesome movie with all of them again.My friends used to talk so much about this movie and i really wanted to know what was special in this movie.It is a joyride really screenplay is so well done each and one situation blends effortlessly leading to the other.lovely movie.

Love's effects and defects

Author: Peter Young from Earth
25 July 2010

Pyaar Ke Side Effects is a fun rom-com. It is modern, lighthearted and comic in its story and presentation, and that makes it thoroughly entertaining. The film is not as much about love as it is about relationships between young and modern people in an urban "new" India. This depiction is well done. Frankly speaking, had this film been made in Hollywood, it probably would not have been taken very seriously since that's what audiences there are most used to seeing, but as an Indian movie, it was fun stuff worth watching with friends as it's different from anything one uses to associate with Hindi movies. The film stars Rahul Bose in a fine performance as a troubled thirty year-old man who does not really know how to deal with his relationship with a young woman played by Mallika Sherawat who insists on marriage while he is not ready yet to take such responsibility. Sherawat is quite natural in a role that is nothing great but quite likable. Other cast members do well. One of the aspects I did not like in this movie was the narration. I did not like the way Bose's character often started narrating his thoughts and the proceedings in the middle of a scene and the other characters were made kind of deaf, unaware of his voiced dialogues. A simple narration of voice over would be more effective. Anyway, if one's speaking of dialogues, then I must say they were quite authentic in this one. To sum it up, Pyaar Ke Side Effects is an enjoyable and highly watchable movie best watched by young couples and friends.