IMDb > Crank (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Crank

Crank More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 44:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

"Crank" a fast paced, clever, and cool-as-Hell adrenaline rush of a film!!

Author: MaximumMadness from United States
2 September 2006

I walked into "Crank" with low expectations, as I do with many films. The previews made it look like it had a clever story, but I was worried that with Jason Statham playing lead, I might just get a re-hash of his "Transporter" films.

I got a pleasant surprise. From the very beginning, the film moves. And moves damn fast. Not in an obnoxious way either. In the first minutes of the film we are set up with a possible story of corruption between hit men, a botched job, and the set-up for the whole movie-- Statham's Chev Chelios being fatally poisoned with a Chinese-made serum that slows his heart rate, and will eventually literally make his heart stop, killing him. The only solution-- get the adrenaline pumping and keep his heart rate up! The whole movie is like one long action sequence, with pauses for story elements. This is the common thing now in films, but in other movies, it generally doesn't work so well. But, with the premise of "Crank" being the need for speed (Literally), the idea of all-action, little-plot actually works. And works well.

However, don't be mistaken, there is genuine plot in the film. Clever stories about the pasts and workings of crime-lords and their cronies, and how they all relate to Chelios. Some of it went over my head because of the constant action, but I was able to understand everything enough to enjoy the film.

The direction and editing is something I want to talk about briefly before I wrap this up. For a film like this, one would expect flashy camera work and crazy fast cutting, but I must say, the director/writer and the editor went beyond the call of duty. The film is shot as though the cameraman himself was the one who was poisoned, with the camera flashing and moving around nearly constantly, only settling during the slow scenes. Quite a genius use of camera-work to emulate the story. And the editing certainly adds a lot to the already excellent camera work. We get cutting when necessary and when not necessary, to further illustrate the needs of the main character.

Overall, I would say "Crank" was the coolest movie I've seen in the last several years, leaps and bounds beyond the standard Hollywood action flick. I would recommend to any action-fan or adrenaline junkie, because take it from me, this film is the ultimate rush!

Wild conceptual redux for a forgotten 1996 actioner.

Author: Richard Hawes from Kent, England
12 August 2006

Back in the 1990s British action star Gary Daniels was at the height of his fame. Headlining a string of bland, stunt filled features for PM Entertainment (the B Simpson/Bruckheimer). In 1996 he starred in RAGE, a non-stop action movie with a very "high concept" premise. Injected with a deadly drug an ordinary man becomes a one man army. Hunting down the bad guys, on the run from the cops and trying to get his normal life back - the film was stunt filled madness. 10 years later we have CRANK which is essentially a rehash. Albeit a big budget, MTV-style version. Our hero is still a Brit, the location is once again Los Angeles, but there are gangster movie connotations, wild visuals and a tongue-in-cheek tone (you cannot take the name Chev Chelios seriously and I don't think you're supposed to) which makes this a lively, engaging ride which knocks Daniels' effort for six. The similarities between the two cannot be ignored but this is clearly the superior of the two. RAGE was the prototype, but CRANK takes it to the limit with set-pieces and jokes as silly as they are inventive. In addition there are connotations to films such as Tony Scott's MAN ON FIRE and DOMINO and Brit gangster movies such as Mike Hodges' GET CARTER and Guy Ritchie's LOCK, STOCK and TWO SMOKING BARRELS which add to the thrills and keep us entertained. Much more restrained than CGI-filled, action pantomime that was TRANSPORTER 2, CRANK is Statham's best star vehicle yet. He's a pure physical presence with a maniacal glint in his eyes. There are no Corey Yeun-style martial arts scenes but it doesn't matter. The film is OTT but somehow grounded. The action is rough, fierce. Statham's character is a relentless one man army in classic tradition. Young guys and longtime action movie fans are going to love this for its sheer vigour. With creativity in the genre previously limited to new twists on chases and fight scenes, it's a real pleasure to see films such as CRANK, ONG-BAK and BANLIEUE 13 (District 13) emerging. Not to be taken too seriously, Crank is one of the best popcorn movies of 2006.

They probably should have given him more of that Chinese s**t!

Author: Pete Simone (ps42) from Auburn, MA, United States
31 August 2006

If ever a movie was made to get one's heart pumping, Crank is it. It takes a marginally believable and undeniably awesome premise, adds one of the brightest up-and-coming action stars around, stirs in some new ingredients that the genre hasn't really seen before, and bakes until the final product rises beyond all expectations. The catch phrase "a thrill a minute" doesn't really go the distance to describe how ridiculously action packed this film is. A thrill every ten to fifteen seconds is more like it. First time directors Mark Nedveldine and Brian Taylor relentlessly bash you over the head with the action hammer. Their cinematography is manic and the style is reminiscent of that used by Tony Scott in Domino. It fits the pace of the film quite well.

Jason Statham delivers to audiences the only thing he knows how to deliver, and that is pure, distilled ass kicking. That is his job, and he is very, very good at it. Make no mistake, the film is very strongly 'R' rated. There is a bounty of flesh, and a strong smattering of violence, and drug use. Don't be thrown off by Amy Smart's name on the poster. Even though she does a fine job as Statham's on screen girlfriend Eve, hers (and every other) part takes a deliberate and distant backseat to Statham's charismatic portrayal of hit-man Chev Chelios. He also manages to wind more than a few threads of pretty solid humor into the performance. All in all, its Statham's most impressive job in a leading role yet.

In a nutshell the plot revolves around Chev Chelios, poisoned by his employer after a hit went sour with a synthetic Chinese compound that blocks his adrenaline receptors. The only way for him to stay alive is to get pumped up and stay pumped up. Anything he can get his hands on to raise his adrenaline is fair game, from drugs to energy drinks to raunchy public sex and more as he tears a path of carnage and mayhem through the streets of L.A. in search of the man who tried to kill him.

Crank is everything you could feasibly ask it to be and more. The filmmakers take an iffy premise, work their magic (read 'good casting and direction') on it, and produce reel after reel of pure adrenaline on film. It packs over the top action in with incredible stunts, clever and biting humor, a decent story and some above average acting. It's one of the most entertaining films of the year and may well be a career highlight for Statham. It's one of those films that you'll definitely want to go see with a bunch of the guys. What it lacks in depth, it makes up for in pure fun and distilled manliness. A high 8 out of 10.

Crank is Grand Theft Auto on the big-screen.

Author: Cmbaker from United States
1 September 2006

Fast. Hyper. Action-packed. Drug-induced. Insane. Crank is all these things, and extremely entertaining too. No doubt a movie made just for the guys, it's filled with guns, car chases, sex, random humor, nudity, Amy Smart, Pedro from Napolean Dynamite, sex, nudity, etc. The only thing missing were some hand-to-hand fight scenes that would have made this movie complete. Instead, we do get a nice confrontation where one person is armed with a butcher's knife... but I shan't spoil that one.

But yes, this is a live-action video game on the big-screen. Google Maps zooms into the next location Chev visits and on screen text gives you its name ala a video game's "next level" sequence. Chev's girlfriend thinks he is a video game programmer. The opening titles for "CRANK" are shown in the blocky, pixellated style of a 1980's Atari game. Chev is just trying to get to the boss at the end of the game.

And a tip for those of you yet to see it- STAY THROUGH THE CREDITS. It reinforces everything I just said.

Nothing less than Great.

Author: josegrappa from United States
30 August 2006

Crank was... Great. It's was what you hope it might be: Cool, fast, and Jason Statham kicking butt (and Rated R - It's great to hear Statham be able to go off). It was also much funnier than I expected, and once I figured out the tone I was in for the ride. I should've figured out the tone when the movie started with an 80's classic song from Quiet Riot. Or when the director and writer spoke before the movie and thanked "Jesus" and then said something like, "Hold onto your seats, it's going to be f-ckin great." This movie will probably be considered a cult classic soon. But it could be a huge box office success too. So, here's my story: I was invited to the Cast screening. My friend worked on the crew of Crank, and I got a call Monday morning to go (after another friend had to cancel - I'm always last to get the call, but glad I did TD - So don't worry). I loved Snatch, and I was probably more excited to see Jason Statham in the flesh, than to see the movie. Well, I was simply surprised. Jason was phenomenal. The movie was weird, really good weird. The action never stopped, and right when you were cringing from a needle, or something gruesome, you would be hit with something hilarious. It's was a great blend of action and humor. The writer obviously wrote this tongue in cheek. It was like he was making fun of other films. At least I think so. The movie was subtitled in a couple of random places and I found myself keeled over laughing when the Cab Driver was subtitled. The action really stood out. It was very violent, and at times very real. The bad guy, Verone, also stood out. And I think Amy Smart did a good job playing naive. The movie starts with a bang, and I was surprised that the bang held up to the final scene in the movie, which I think was simply great. My heart is still racing a bit, two days later. Yes, it's that's good.

Aciddytrip-o-vision

Author: Huffman92 from United States
28 December 2006

This is my first review and I've been reluctant to write one because I don't really think anyone will read it... but here it goes.

Crank is fun, really fun. In the way of Snatch and Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels (kind of) it's got its violence and action tossed into a mountain of humor. The writers (and directors) took these three things, tossed them into a movie blender, put the blender on puree, and came out with this movie.

The directors (and writers) did some visually awesome things with this film. People on the other side of phone calls appear on walls, rear-view mirrors, and other things. Random words from a person's dialogue appear on screen along with their part of speech in parenthesis afterwards (ep-i-neph-rine (n), man). This visual style I have declared... accidytrip-o-vision.

Other movies with accidytrip-o-vision: Easy Rider and A Scanner Darkly.

In conclusion, Crank is an action-filled, blood encrusted, comedy haywire, accidytrip-o-vision, adrenaline-pumping achievement.

Kudos to Statham and the rest of the team for the new bible of popcorn flicks.

Fast paced action and funny

Author: MyStIk_z from Canada
29 August 2006

This movie really is fully packed with action and humor. it has everything that can keep your heart pumping for the whole movie. A hit-man chasing and killing bad guys with guns knives and everything he can find. there is a lot of gunfight and explosives. But the movie really is funny too. the whole crowd in the theater were laughing out loud here at the "avant-premire" in Montreal. during the opening sequence, some dizziness begin to overwhelm you because of a shaky and blurred camera but i guess this is exactly what the director was expecting. This "shaky hand" camera effect is reused throughout the movie adding to the perspective and helps one get plunged in the movie. The special effects are mainly car crashes and explosions, but are really well executed and very inventive. And the story, well, the story isn't really what you seek when choosing to go see this kind of movies, but in crank, the storyline is actually pretty good. It could probably be resumed in half a page though :) I would say that it is one of the most balanced humor/action movie i've seen in the past years.

Jon Monsarrat review: like Die Hard & Face-Off - a must-see

Author: jonmon from United States
2 September 2006

I love action movies, but they have to be intelligent. No "The Mummy" or "The Fast and the Furious" for me. Crank nails it in every way.

It's hard enough to pull together a film with a lot of stunts. Then top that by making it non-stop action throughout. Then top that by having an intelligent plot that keeps you thinking and characters whose motivations and decisions make sense. Then top that by adding in some humor that doesn't blow the seriousness of the movie but adds some charm and -- listen up, Jet Li -- originality to the stunts.

But then, pump it up with cinematography that (unlike The Bourne Identity, which didn't work for me) makes the whole thing even more original and adds to the drama instead of being puffery. Then add Amy Smart, yum. Despite the fast pace, there is actually real chemistry with her as the love interest.

Every action movie lover should go out and see this film immediately. It is everything that Snakes on a Plane, which is cheesy and bad, and I don't mean good-bad, is not.

Who should see this movie:

-- Action movie fans, you might not want to bring your SO, it's pretty hardcore with the gore and violence

-- Enraged assassins with 2 hours to live I'll give "Crank" a 9 out of 10, the only missing point being that there's no real depth to the drama, it's strictly "just for the action".

one of the worst films i've ever seen

Author: mistertopps from United States
22 September 2006

There is a scene in this movie where the main character needs a boost of adrenaline, so in the middle of chinatown, he starts ripping off his girlfriend's clothing. She yells "NO! NO!" and he continues to rape her. She eventually gives in, and starts liking having sex in public, so it turns out to be okay.

There is another scene where he needs a boost of adrenaline, and the lead singer of Linkin Park tells him that he should snort tons of nasal spray. That it will make him high.

I'm all about films that blur the line of good and bad. I'm all about films with characters that have questionable morality. But this film completely glorifies such horrible things with no sense of irony. It's told in the dumbest of ways, with quite possibly the worst looking cinematography I've seen in a mainstream movie, and editing that's not even worthy of mtv. There are people that cut quickly and do flashy things, but here the effects remind me of something that would be on that show blind date.

All of this could be forgiven if the action was good. But really all the action consists of are people running around holding guns. And every once in a while there's a loud noise, with shaky camera work and quick cutting so you never quite understanding what's happening.

It's just bad film-making, with even worse writing. And Jason Statham's such a great actor-- his performances in Snatch and Lock Stock are terrific. I can't imagine why he'd say yes to such a subpar script. And none of his fighting talents are really showcased here either. I mean, he rides a computer generated car sideways up an escalator. And every once in a while punches someone. But none of the grand choreography from the Transporter movies is even on display here.

The filmmakers definitely have visual ideas. But none of them are actually there to tell the story, or even help in the mood. I mean, do we need to zoom in on a pigeon's chest to then go inside and watch it's heart beating? Not only is it poorly done, and the effect terrible; forget that it doesn't move the story forward--- if it's only intent is to "look cool" they completely failed at that (and somewhat rips off what the more brilliant visual stylist Joseph Kahn did in his brilliant and underrated Torque).

If you'd like to see a smart film that actually has an agenda and is also edgy, rent Dan Minahan's "Series 7." It's brutal, uncompromising, and violent, but has one major thing that this film is lacking. Vision.

He has one hour to live. I'd like two hours of my life back.

Author: CMUltra (collectormanultra@yahoo.com)
18 February 2007

What a disappointment. I really look forward to Jason Statham movies as he has all the tools to be a major action star. He is fit, projects a great screen charisma and knows enough martial arts to allow for nicely choreographed fight scenes. But his movies continue to be weak. Well, his previous movies seemed weak at the time but, compared to this stinker, they rocked.

He may have jumped at this movie based on the script. I can imagine getting excited just reading the screenplay. The premise is not original by any means, but still nifty: he wakes up with a video love note from enemy gangsters letting him know that he has one hour to live due to a designer poison in his system. A nice touch was the video showing them administering the drug while he was asleep. There is apparently no cure but the death can be delayed by keeping his adrenaline up. The script then lends itself to what could have been nicely over-the-top moments involving him starting fights he cannot hope to win, having sex with his girlfriend in front of a cheering crowd of Chinatown onlookers, mutilating himself with a waffle iron, starting police chases and generally embarking on what the news station in the movie called a city-wide spree of destruction.

All of these scenes with so much potential were wasted in the unimaginative hands of director Mark Neveldine. He goes through every clichéd tool available: fast edits, fast pans, odd tilts, slow-mo, etc., all supported by a fast, generic soundtrack. Okay, granted, pretty much all action movies use these tools but, in the good ones, the directors use them imaginatively and well. Neveldine did neither. If the Cardinal Sin of any movie is to boring, how much worse is it for an action movie to suffer that? The movie is barely workable. I don't believe it even lends itself to the enjoyment of picking it apart with friends. Statham does maintain his favorable screen presence, but very little else. Amy Smart is not terribly attractive here. That's got to be the movie as she looks charming in other venues (see: The Best Man and Just Friends, though she was out-shined by Anna Faris in the latter). Efren Ramirez is always enjoyable, including his violently brief role here. For much better examples of his talent see Napolean Dynamite and Employee of the Month.

I'd really recommend a pass on this movie.

Page 1 of 44:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]