IMDb > WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW 2006 (2005) (VG) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW 2006 (VG) More at IMDbPro »

I played the previous Smackdown games.....

Author: Alex420 from United States
9 February 2006

I remember going home with WWF Smackdown for the PS one and thought that it was one of the greatest games I had ever played! Well I had played ever sequel to it and I was so disappointed with everyone that I played (from The crappy story lines to boring game play). But when I bought WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2006 (on sale :-)) I hadn't thought I would like it that much. Boy was I wrong. The season mode is great!(with two different stories for Smackdown and Raw. not to mention they didn't suck!) There are over a hundered different types of matches in exhibition! There is a very extensive challenge mode (were you can complete challenges for WWE dollars). I haven't tried the online mode but I expect it to be great! There are also enough WWE legends to fill a city! The graphics! How could I forget the graphics! This game has the BEST graphics I have ever seen! Everything looks so real! Anyone who's not a fan of WWE would even love this game too! Go out and rent it right now! Wait screw that go buy this game now!

Overall a great game, but fans of the older Smackdown games or arcade style wrestling games will be turned off at first.

Author: Zen444 from Canada
16 April 2006

The Smackdown games have a long history. Starting from the PS1, and releasing quite possibly the best wrestling game since No Mercy(Smackdown 2: Know Your Role.) they've remained very popular over the years, becoming the Madden games for wrestling fans.

Not surprisingly, they've decided to make the Season Mode the biggest attraction, instead of focusing on other game modes. You can either create a wrestler or start with a wrestler from the show. Losing in Season Mode really does nothing, the storyline still goes in the same direction regardless. You have some option, which only rarely changes anything.

The Create-A-Wrestler is scaled down from Smackdown Know Your Role. And some of the create-a-modes are missing from last year.

The graphics are great on everything. Except the fans. They look like they where on the N64/PS1. And the character models are well done. Almost scary. But the greatest new addition, is "Everyone has ABS". No i'm just kidding. But I still don't know why everyone has ABS! There is some incentive to play single player. While playing exhibition mode, you have to do something specific to the challenges required, once you do these, you'll unlock more things like furniture and characters.

Speaking of unlocking characters, you have to plug your PSP into the PS2 to unlock a certain character. Bullshit! And another thing, you do all these challenges and things to unlock something, THEN YOU HAVE TO SPEND MONEY ON IT! Which you have to earn first! Moving on, the gameplay is rather simple. Just hurt the characters in specific areas for awhile, make them submit, or save up your momentum and finish them off. While, the reversal system, if practiced enough, nothing will ever hurt you. It's that simple.

The voice acting is better then last year, they no longer sound like they're reading from a teleprompter in an empty warehouse anymore. While the color commentary is just a joke. Playing the game over long periods of time will have their sayings memorized in your head for eternity.

As for the music, it's probably only reserved for the Death Metal Rap lovers. If you're wrestling backstage, there's no commentary. Which makes it really boring.

As for the online, it's great. WAY, and I can't stress this enough, is WAY better then last years.

All in all, it's a solid wrestling game, but it doesn't hold a candle to No Mercy or Know Your Role.

great

Author: Thats_What_You_Get from United States
8 February 2007

all i can say is that this is a great game,the wrestlers are awesome.there's brand new story lines involving triple h,big show,john cena and many other great wrestlers.the goals are easy to complete except for the legend difficulty "who's the real American hero ?" match.the best wrestlers on here are Eddie Guerrero,john cena,Chris Benoit and the rock {once you unlock him}.if your a fan of any other smackdown! wrestling games or any backyard wrestling games this is for you.also the legend wrestler are super easy to unlock and are the best ones.the matches are great including the elimination chamber,ladder match.parking lot brawl,bar brawl and backstage brawl.so if your a fan of any smackdown! wrestling games or any backyard wrestling games this is for you.

i hope you enjoy it

The best wrestling game so far

Author: kliko400 from Australia
8 September 2006

This is just the best wrestling game that i have played...ever. The graphics are the best, the new wrestlers are also well created & also new match-ups are added as this is the best wrestling game out of the previous three.

First off there are new matches like Lingerie Pillow Fight, Backstage Bar & the new General Manager Mode.

Also new superstars like Chris Masters, Carlito, Basham Brothers, Spike Dudley, Gene Snitsky & many others etc.

But the best thing about the game is General Manager Mode where you control the roster, release superstars & make the matches that you want.

So far out of all the wrestling titles Just Bring It, Shut Your Mouth, Here Comes The Pain & Smackdown vs. Raw 1 this is the best game ever, it has it all the best season mode with real superstar voices, best graphics & all new match types as this is a must play game of the year.

Overall: Definitely 10/10 & A+

Tons of fun

Author: SusanAdebisi from West Mids - Inglaterra
25 July 2006

A game with huge return to pull - I've put It In a draw & as good as forgotten about It for weeks but once played again It's enjoyable all over again.

Takes a while to fully command the finer points like all 24 or so grapples, finisher reversals, tag moves etc once learned this game Is a joy. The ability to create superstars Is excellent down to the ring entrances lighting to their kneepads. TLC matches are possibly the best laugh a person can have without being arrested. Most fun to play are comedy heels such as HHH or my favourite Dupree - up taunt/left downed upper body grapple! The commentary Is generally good at points some of the slurs hilarious but at the start of every match we get "here we are from....(somewhere there not)....what a reversal" ad nauseum. Their mock shock over the ref being laid out & disgust over getting tooled up, most the finishers are pretty dramatic too.

The gameplay Is brilliantly done specific cut scenes for many moves, on the PS2 the feel of the joypad Is naturally co-ordinated with what you're trying to execute. It looks as good as Playstation characters get, the random chants, entrances, expressions make for Impressive fine detail.

Depending on the settings the coms AI can become very annoying reversing every other attack, needing 3 finishers to be put away whilst you take one and can't kick out. At times the AI Is un-speakably cheap -expose turnbuckle repeatedly whip Into taunt outside whip Into turnbuckle taunt outside by this time they've got a finisher and of course you can't escape! Worst are the good guys repeatedly coming off the top rope for extremely tedious cheap momentum. Honestly seeing any of the super heavies (taker & esp batista) sling you outside only to come gliding out the ring like Jeff Hardy for the 3rd time has me reaching for the reset button.

The challenges are exactly that, In exhibition mode you can do pretty much whatever these are Interesting enough but It's GM mode that makes this so compelling, after a couple seasons the roster should be mostly 90's popularity players legends & CAW's making for an astounding card.

Great game days & days of fun!

Mind-Blowingly awesome

Author: kingfisherswift from United Kingdom
24 July 2006

Before I had bought this game, I hadn't been following wrestling for a while. As a result, my last game had been WWE Smackdown!:Shut your mouth. The step up from that to this was just breathtaking. Elimination Chambers are Immensely brilliant, the challenges are clever and the story mode is so well thought out. The roster is very good, create-a-PPV I love, and entrances are great (booing/cheering for heels/faces). Graphics are amazing, and blood spilt on the canvas just adds a whole new dimension of realism. The only thing I would change is to expand the already broad Legends program. Still, I would recommend this game to anyone who's even heard of something connected to wrestling. It is just that good.

Probably one of the best wrestling games, ever

Author: Luke
21 February 2006

(PSP version) The first thing I noticed when I first saw the game is that it is very similar to the PlayStation 2 version. The text and intro are all very similar. The loading screens are also included but unfortunately do not fill the whole of the screen leaving a black box around the edge of them. The first match I played was a Single just to see how well it plays. Now, it was a little hard to get used to at first (like all WWE games) but you'll soon find yourself doing more finishers than you've had hot dinners. Controlling isn't so bad as many anticipate. You use the d-pad and the same combination for strike and grapple moves. As there is no L2 or R2 button on the PlayStation Portable you use a combination of buttons. Say, if you were to store a finisher move (on PlayStation 2 you do the combination L1+L2), you would use a different combination of L+R. Reversing seems weird because it's just unusual not having any of the extra shoulder buttons but that's how it goes. Also, a lot of button mashing is required for those sleeper moves. Now, I can understand why this is good on the PlayStation 2 but on the PlayStation Portable? Come on, every time I have to put it down on the floor and then continuously push the buttons. I'm a little scared I may break my PSP because of this.

The graphics. This is another bad point (don't worry there are more good points soon). It's a PlayStation Portable and it can only handle so much. Yes, they're good but during gameplay is when they turn ugly. On the UI it is just as good as the PlayStation 2 game and for the entrances too. When playing a match the first thing I noticed that was wrong was the crowds. Now, they're not 3D. They are like cardboard cut outs. There isn't that many people as there is on the PlayStation 2 version either. Whenever the camera angles come into effect you may notice that the ceilings are black too. What happened here? The wrestlers look awesome though, which is really the main focus anyway. One other thing during gameplay, sometimes you may experience a slow frame rate every so often but this isn't too major for me to continue discussing about in this review.

Connectivity to the PlayStation 2 is a welcomed feature by myself. Now, at last, I can continue my Season progress. Your WWE Cash does not transfer to the PlayStation Portable so it will take a little while for you to unlock stuff such as the PSP-exclusive Legend, "Jake". If you don't want to do Season you can still earn the cash by completing challenges (identical to PlayStation 2) because they're not unlocked even if you transfer completed data from the PlayStation 2. The whole game doesn't transfer. You may only wanted to transfer a certain CAW or just Season progress. This is good if you have friends with a PSP as it won't overwrite their other progresses in the game. If you've no time to create a wrestler at home you can do it on the move and then come home later and transfer it back to the PlayStation 2.

All match types are in the PlayStation Portable game as well and all wrestlers (including the now passed away Eddie Guerro) are included. So much has been squeezed in to this UMD! The arenas which you love from the PlayStation 2 game make a comeback here as well. A feature that was taken out though was the commentary during matches. You no longer have to put up with J.R. or Michael Cole repeating the same nonsense over and over again. Some may of course feel a bit annoyed. Instead of their voices you get the background music like in previous WWE SmackDown! games which is also in the UI. I suggest you go in Options and turn this down since it is the same volume as the SFX. If you are fed up of these songs you can also turn it off in Options. Other new features include new mini games such as one where you have to successfully fly Eugene around the arena without falling and a quiz. If you're not a watcher of the television show don't worry - the questions are based on the game. Common examples of questions include one where you have to guess who is speaking, who's crowd sign and who's finisher is this. Poker can also be played but I have yet to try it.

Loading times. I compared this to the PlayStation 2 game. It will take considerably a lot longer to load than the PlayStation 2 game. It even has to load the loading screens! You might as well grab yourself a bite to eat and wait because these are long waits. Battery life isn't sucked up too bad but that all depends. If you are creating a wrestler then it will use the disc drive more so it will decrease quicker.

Overall, the game is worth getting. I pre-ordered mine and received it a day early (PAL). Recommend for owners of the PlayStation 2 game since you can transfer data but it can be a stand-alone game so for those who don't have the PlayStation 2 game can still go through Season and do Challenges as well as unlocking stuff in the shop.

My Favourite Game Of All Time

Author: t-daad from United Kingdom
26 January 2006

This game is absolutely fabulous! I play it non-stop, everything in it is so good, from hearing your favourite wrestler's voice to power-bombing your opponent into a casket, it's all amazing. The challenges are slightly annoying sometimes, so I sort of cheated and hooked up a second controller to help me out, but it pulled me through to the funner challenges, which didn't need a second controller. Probably, my best wrestler is Chris Masters, because I just beat my opponent to a bloody pulp, then put in the Masterlock, and within five seconds, it's over. But, on top of all that, my favourite mode is General Manager mode. If there's one thing I don't like is that when you have completed two years in season mode, one on Raw, one on Smackdown!, you get infinite attribute points. I prefer slowly earning, attribute points and building up my created Superstars (The Man, Hot Stuff and The Machine).

Awesome Game!

Author: the_kiss_army_45 from Canada
30 December 2005

I just recently got this game for Christmas and I have to say that I am very impressed. It has much more than the last Smackdown! v.s. Raw, even though the first Smackdown v.s. Raw is good as well. I enjoy the new Buried Alive Match, Backstage Brawls and the Fulfill Your Fantasy Matches. It has great updated talent like Chris Masters and Carlito. It still has that Muhammad Hussan on it but who cares.

Anyways this is a very enjoyable game for wrestling fans and even for some people who don't usually watch wrestling, I'm sure they will enjoy it as well.

So I am giving this game a 9.5/10