IMDb > Freebird (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Freebird More at IMDbPro »

an unexpected treasure

Author: howiemac from Scotland
24 June 2008

I was not expecting much from this movie, but was very pleasantly surprised, as it is light and funny and very well observed. The central trio of deadbeat bikers were surprisingly likable as they staggered and clowned their way through their drug-centred trip to Wales. The humour was gentle and subtle, as indeed were the three characters (witness their sympathetic treatment of the little old lady shopkeeper). The atmospherics of rural Wales were captured perfectly, and the soundtrack was very well chosen. Cleverly and carefully scripted, with great attention to detail - I have never seen such a realistic portrayal of alternative culture - I felt I was there with them. Very light in touch and full of fun - not what you might expect from a movie about bikers and drugs. A delight on all fronts, and difficult to criticise, though I thought the last two scenes were a bit lame - the film should have ended when they left Wales. But overall, an unexpected treasure of a film.

C'Mon Freebird

Author: thegetrichplan from United Kingdom
17 July 2007

I saw a preview of Freebird at the Isle of Man TT as i had heard about it in a couple of motorcycle mags. Although i was over mainly for the racing, the lure of seeing Phil Daniels in a motorcycle movie (yes i love Quadrophenia like everyone else) proved enough to get me away from the beer and partying. At last! we've done it! us British have actually made a great motorcycle film (and no it's not like Torque) this is up there with the best of British comedy. Mark my words, this is Phil Daniels best screen performance, and as far as Geoff Bell is concerned, there's a new British legend making his name felt. I loved Gary Stretch in Shane Meadows' fantastic Dead Mans Shoes and here he gives a quietly touching performance that he can proudly add to his growing film reputation. This is a film not just for us Bikers, but I think for everyone (even my girlfriend loved it). I hope it gets the same brilliant response on the mainland as it got at the Isle of Man. I'm not going to go into the details of certain classic scenes that this movie has, (watch out for the shop), as it would spoil the fun, but i would say, go see, enjoy, and have one of the best nights in the cinema you've had in a while. I really think this could well be a cult classic. As they were saying at the TT... C'Mon Freebird!

Future cult classic?

Author: HollyI from United Kingdom
2 July 2008

A comedy gem. Lots of laugh out loud moments, the shop and pub scenes had me belly- laughing uncontrollably. The characters are recognisable and the dialogue well-observed - I know people like this! The humour is surprisingly gentle and the film (this may sound strange) puts me in mind of an Ealing Comedy. It's a quirky little film with lots of detail. It certainly takes a number of viewings. I've watched it a few times (I've been showing all my friends!) and notice something new each time - a bit of dialogue,something visual that I hadn't picked up on before. I could get really picky and find a couple of shortcomings in the film but I'm not going to because overall this is a great fun, feel-good film which is really worth a watch and which anyone with a sense of humour must enjoy. It is a film which will find it's friends and I hope there are a lot of them out there. Oh.... and It has a great soundtrack.

What a weekend Away

Author: fredwhite-white2 from United Kingdom
5 July 2008

This is a great British film. A cleverly observed script with many quotable lines, which captures perfectly what magic mushrooms can do to a man over a weekend. As per usual Phil Daniels is excellent along with that most under rated of British actors Geoff Bell. Peter Bowles with a joint hanging out of his mouth is a casting masterstroke and Gary Stretch with his brooding looks brings something strangely atmospheric to the piece. Although it seems to be billed as a biker movie, i think it will find an audience outside of this, purely on the premise that a lot of people have been there done it and got the t-shirt. also A great original soundtrack with a blinding version of Freebird. This really could be a 21st century heir to the famous Ealing comedies. Like the weed in the Welsh fields: it's a grower!

A very good British Independent movie.

Author: c-borgia from United Kingdom
5 August 2008

Highly recommended!!

A well written, funny film which will appeal to everyone out there with a sense of humour!!!. Give it a go, it's good to see an Independent British Movie more than holding it's own against the big established studios!! Definitely worth adding to any film collection. There are scenes in this film that I'm sure a lot of people will be able to relate to. You will laugh out loud at the antics and enjoy the great soundtrack. I especially enjoyed the Orb's version of Jimmy Cliff's Vietnam and The Tower of London's take on Freebird.

Go on give it a go............ you won't be disappointed.

Lovely, Very British Film

Author: from United Kingdom
23 September 2008

This is a lovely, very British film. Meandering to begin with, the trick is to relax into the characters and scenery and before too long this many-stranded tale will artfully weave itself into a funny story with a wonderfully satisfying ending. We were in an up mood at the conclusion with smiles on our faces (what more do you want?). The drug scenes seemed to have achieved a rare thing in film, accuracy. If you want Hollywood schmaltz and pace this is not film for you. This is an amiable, funny film rooted in the modern British Isles but with many an echo to past rivalries and, it must be said, a millennia of ongoing male stupidity. Give it a few years probably become a cult.

Feel-good and slick British comedy

Author: amandac-10 from United Kingdom
5 September 2008

Freebird is the perfect marriage of road trip comedy, gang caper, "stoner" film and feel-good British movie.

It is the brilliant lead characters that set this movie apart from other films in this genre. Stars Phil Daniels, Gary Stretch and Geoff Bell have a great chemistry and make their characters hugely likable and realistic. The main story centres around their road trip from London to Wales, and the adventures and mishaps that occur along the way. This small film also has a great heart - it is not just for bike fans, as it bases around the character's relationships with each other including dreams and regrets, such as Gary Stretch's Fred longing for the family he left behind. The cinematography is also great - a love letter to the Welsh countryside as well as capturing the grittiness of London streets and typical pub life in the Welsh country towns.

Stylish, slick, fantastic soundtrack, likable characters and funny storyline - I would recommend Freebird in a heartbeat!

Bright, British comedy is a sorbet for the tired palate

Author: beachrich from United Kingdom
29 August 2008

At last! A decent British comedy that isn't centred around some mockney bank robbers or spun off from a TV series. John Ivay's film is a psychoactive tale of discovery, dressed in biker gear. The three protagonists are gentle fools with a penchant for failure and each at a turning point in their lives, giving a sensitive, emotional trio of sub-plots to sew the riotous comedy together. The chemistry between the three amigos is palpable and makes for a touching companionship with hilarious dialogue and some classic comedic moments. It feels part Withnail and I, part American Werewolf in London, and part Quadraphenia (but only because of the bike gangs, and Phil Daniels). In fact, Phil Daniels' lovable rogue reminds you of Danny the dealer in Withnail and I, with his scholarly approach and scientific commitment to drugs. This is a great film, particularly for those who've dabbled in psychoactive substances in the past, who will relate to many moments in the film. A personal favourite is the brilliant scene in the Welsh corner shop, buying munchies while tripping on 'shrooms. This gentle comedy will warm the cockles of your heart and have you laughing out loud. And you don't have to ride bikes or even like them to enjoy it. But it'll add to it if you do. Brilliant.

A light hearted British comedy

Author: m-mittra from United Kingdom
15 July 2008

What a class bit of British cinema! It's about time. And a side splitting comedy to boot!

Anyone searching to relive a bit of freedom from their misspent youth this road movie will prove the ticket.

It's a mix between "Withnail and I" and "Easy Rider". The movie runs at a solid pace and doesn't let you drift off for too long... At times there are reflective moments, but I think they are well justified and add to the characters the actors are portraying. I was a little concerned with Phil Daniels character at the start but thankfully was won over half way through in what was one of the funniest scenes of the entire movie! Generally I found myself belly laughing through the film most likely annoying some people around me. Oh well.

I would thoroughly recommend it. This will become a cult British comedy. Well worth a visit.

This is the biker movie I always wanted to see

Author: jayneflakes from United Kingdom
6 December 2013

This film about three mates on a bike trip was so well done that at times I forgot it was a film and felt like I was out with my mates. Such is the nature of this film, the scene in the pub when they have the giggles felt like moments from my own life. Although I am a biker, I do not think that you need to be a biker to love this film, but as a biker you have that extra understanding of the sub plots.

As far as the humour goes, this film is gentle, very funny and at moments it tugs on your heart strings. The bikes of the three main characters fit them perfectly and the pannier scene in the services had me in fits. Remember that this film is entertainment, it gets you away from a dreary winter evening of not riding your bike and it fills your heart with the love of the open road and your biker mates. If you are not a biker, you may want to be one by the end. It does not have the nasty edge of Sons of Anarchy, but is a good picture of the British Biker.

I loved this movie so much that I had to have the DVD set. Well worth the purchase and will give a lot of pleasure over the years as my own riding continues into the sunset.