IMDb > Final Days of Planet Earth (2006) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Final Days of Planet Earth

Final Days of Planet Earth (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Great title, Bad Movie ...

Author: vram22 from United States
15 October 2006

This movie was interesting for about the first 10 minutes or so. Then, soon after the lead character started talking, the movie's stock started to drop and never recovered. Although the makings of a decent movie are present in the tone, basic story line and actors, this movie ended up being 3 hours of discomfort. The main problem was that none of the characters were likable - especially the lead. Worst yet, they were not even believable - some of the decision making was ridiculous. With 3 hours of length (well, more like 132 minutes since it was on TV), the bad decisions were not even used to advance the plot. I think the actors had much more potential than was demonstrated. The best things about this movie were the music and title. I don't recommend watching this movie.

The Pits

Author: moysant from Australia
16 March 2006

Regular TV shows were taken off two nights for this mini-series, mainly because a rival station was showing the Commonwealth Games and I suppose the channel head honchos thought everyone would be watching the athletes and they had to put on SOMETHING so why not this drivel. This was worse than the recent Category 7 (that awful one with Shannon Doherty in it about the hurricane) and Earthquake 10.5 (about a giant earthquake destroying California). At least those two made some sort of sense. Last Days of planet blah reminds me a lot of V (80s miniseries about snake aliens who have human exteriors and are trying to take over the world when they're not eating live rodents), and a bit like the Day of the Body Snatchers (the pod people taking over humans body when their asleep), but without the suspense or character development. It should've been a TV movie instead of a miniseries - it flowed like molasses. Rule number one of scripts is to cut out anything that doesn't add to the plot. Why then stuff this with pointless scenes, like the hero walking furtively through a large room for about 30 seconds when we've seen the room 3 times before, including him and his friends discussing its purpose at length earlier, as well as the villains coming in later and discussing their dastardly plans just in case we can't connect the dots and get the point? 30 seconds is a looonnngggg time in TV land. Ditto the bad and pointless dialogue between characters sitting in vans waiting for something to happen. Show me that something happening - not the non-value-adding talk in vans! And how they overcome the dastardly villains was lamo.

Even Darryl Hannah couldn't save this one. What was the weird thing with her eyes and forehead? Bad lighting? Bad botox? And why does Australian TV keep buying this crude and why do I feel compelled to watch this trainwreck TV? I blame aliens. 1/10

But You Have to Admit...It's a Beautiful Scarf...

Author: Joe Bridge (joebridge@bigpond.com) from Australia
26 March 2006

Oh no. Oh my. Oh my goodness. Where do I even begin? The highly unique idiocy of this movie made for the telly is so jaw-dropping, I would almost recommend watching it because of how strange it is in terms of bad writing.

I'm amazed that the lead character didn't react more after they just decided to cover an area with concrete instead of looking for the missing person.

What sort of job requires recording sounds from the ground that are scaring off all the birds? Yes, I know you don't have to report every time bird droppings are out of place and I hope you reincarnate as a worm to be eaten by a cheerful little robin! Right.

Okay, so you've determined an area is full of dangerous explosive gasses. So what do you do? Light a match and throw it down into the area below your feet with the explosive gasses, just to make sure. Right.

What in the world is going on with this scarf business? Yes, it's a beautiful scarf. Let's talk about your beautiful scarf for awhile. Let's all pause and consider how wearing this beautiful scarf makes you so out of place with the rest of humanity. Hey, wait a minute. Lots of women wear scarves. Okay, you've lost me again. Seriously.

Let's all sit at city hall, but first let's ask why everyone is there, to make sure no one is there for an actual reason! Make sure there's a door that looks like it belongs on a submarine or on "Lost". Every public office has this, of course. No reason to be suspicious... Just open the submarine hatch and go right on in! Let's all race downstairs and help the guy we don't know and kill everyone that looks like a doctor! Wait. Did I miss something?

So the astronut, yes you heard me right, astroNUT, is "kryptonite to the aliens"? A fact brought up a couple of times. But why? Is he the only one in the entire world with "kryptonite blood"? Why? Please tell me more about why, instead of all the endless talk about scarves!

Okay, so they make a very big deal about how these aliens, whilst in human guise, never blink. So why did the lead character never notice the queen not blinking in all that time he had spent with her? Well? He certainly took notice within about a second of the public servant not blinking! Even the fact that they "don't blink" was one of the first things mentioned by the "astronut" when they rescued him. Actually, they do blink - especially the queen. Now I'm confused... They only seem to "never blink" during close-ups when they are trying very hard not to blink. Heh.

What in the world is the business where the lead character goes all the way around, up through the chute, and through the processing area AGAIN, just to get back and spy on the queen in a room upstairs? And by some strange coincidence, the aliens always seem to be gone when people are doing stuff like this? Except for that conspiracy bloke, of course. "The Lone Alien" (not even with his trusty side-kick) just happened to be there at the time!

The alien queen just had to say that line about being better off mating with a human, didn't she? Didn't she?

Is it just me, or did the motives of the queen, and in fact, the motives of almost every character in the movie seem to change from one scene to the next?

Okay, so the gun is empty, but wait, it was only jammed and still conveniently has three bullets later on. Let's make it up as we go along. Weeeeee...

Now tell me. Would you carry around a live grenade everywhere you go, even if it did "save your life" many years earlier? Be honest.

Let's all go shopping! Wait. You lost me again...

My my, the queen certainly laid a lot of eggs, didn't she? My goodness...

Why oh why do they have to call the eggs, the area with the eggs and the events related to the eggs "the hatch"? No, not the submarine hatch to the processing area mentioned earlier nor the hatch on "Lost" that this show replaced this Thursday night!

The part near the end where the lead character admits to not liking people or the human race kind of threw me off and even spoiled the general outcome even more.

And yes, ANYONE could have blown up all the aliens with that flammable atmosphere and the grenade, so what was the big deal about the blood of the astronut? Senseless. It would have been better had he lived so his blood could be used should the aliens return! DUH DUH DUH!

3 out of 10. The last 15 minutes are somewhat likable, but I thought I was watching "Mimic" again, with a couple "Men in Black" elements thrown in! (And for that matter, even "A Bug's Life". Heh.)

solid B film

Author: wrlang from United States
14 October 2006

Its getting harder and harder to get any original ideas for films. I guess the old standards make money and that's the key. Final Days of Planet Earth is about alien insects that make their way to earth to colonize earth using humans as fodder – literally. Good acting from a very solid and well established cast and some good writing takes the slight twist on Invasion of The Body Snatchers and makes it good. While the plot languishes, the CGI is good, and the cinematography is also good. The action and story move along just fast enough to keep your interest. A good solid B movie with no pretense toward block buster status.

The Plummet of the Phoenix

Author: Chris Davis from Newbury, England
28 August 2006

While this terrible mess deserves all the bad things said about it, I have a strong suspicion that the film was not intended to be what finally appeared on the screen. The storyline is simply too screwed-up to have been intentional.

My theory is that the film as published is actually an attempt to resurrect a project that was abandoned without being completed. Perhaps it ran overbudget. Perhaps the principals realised that it would be a dog whatever happened. Perhaps somebody died.

The result was a pile of footage with many scenes unfilmed, and many issues unresolved. Some brave person took this pile of dross and tried to make a coherent movie out of it. Their success was limited, but at least it had a sort-of beginning, a confused middle, and a silly, half-of-an ending. Not having the resources to trim it to normal film length, they made it into a two-parter. Still a disaster, but a little money coming in to cover the completion guarantee.

Well, that's my hope, anyway. Anything to prevent me having to accept that someone actually went out and created this crock on purpose. That would be too much to bear.

CD

Entertaining and Underrated

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
10 August 2008

In the end of the Paracles Mission, an expedition to the moon to explore minerals promoted by the space agency, the commander William Phillips (Campbell Scott) is somehow infected and sent to the Colonial Hospital. A couple of years later, a series of weird accidents happen in San Francisco: the archaeologist Lloyd Walker (Gil Bellows) sees his dig collapsing with his assistant Jonathan (Ryan NcDoneli) and the Commissioner Korshaft (Serge Houde) sealing his site without searching the body of Jonathan; Oliver (Beau Starr), the supervisor of a homeless shelter, finds that the birds have disappeared from the local park due to a weird noise in the underground; and the Bulgarian Bella (Tina Milo) is seeking her missing husband with her brother-in-law Nick (Tygh Runyan). Meanwhile, the entomologist Marianne (Sue Matthew), who works as exterminator to finance her PHD, is invited to work for the City Hall; the salesman Spence (Patrick Gilmore) has problem to receive his unemployment paycheck. Walker befriends the assistant of the Mayor Liz Quinlan (Daryl Hannah), who advises him to meet the ombudsman in the Room 86. However, the journalist Jake Roth (John Cassini) tells Walker that his partner has vanished after visiting the mysterious Room 86. When Walker arrives in Room 86 for the meeting with the ombudsman, he finds Marianne, Oliver, Spence, Bella and Nick in the waiting room with identical recommendation cards. Further, he notes that nobody leaves the room of the ombudsman. He advises Marianne that he would go inside alone and that he is armed, but she believes he is paranoid with a Theory of Conspiracy. However, when Walker enters the place, he discovers the dark secret of the City Hall.

"Final Days of Planet Earth" has a confused beginning with the introduction of different characters without any connection among them. However, later they are gathered together to fight against the alien invader. The plot is not original, using the storyline of the classic "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"; however, it is entertaining and underrated in IMDb since the story is well-constructed with minor flaws and supported by good acting and special effects. One of the greatest flaws is, for example, when Marianne discovers that the alien insects are affected by her poison, why not using it again along their battle against the invaders? The cover of the DVD released in Brazil is a big spoiler disclosing the human identity of the Queen. My vote is six.

Titrle (Brazil): "Os Últimos Dias do Planeta Terra" ("The Last Days of Planet Earth")

Enjoyable despite the bad rating

Author: tripmixx from Norway
11 November 2006

This is my first time writing a comment here on IMDb. I feel that this TVmovie has been highly underrated here. This is a made for TV movie so I have rated it whit that in mind. In my opinion the story was fairly interesting, the acting was very good for this kind of film and the few special effects where also very good. I for one am glad they continue to make these kind of flicks, there aren't that much scifi being made. So even if it does not have a lot of money it's good that they allow people that have a descent story to tell to make these kind of movies. So my final conclusion is: If you like scifi and know how to enjoy a TVmovie whitout too high expectations this is one for you.

Pure Garbage

Author: mickbrooke2 from United States
25 October 2006

It was this film that brought me back to checking reviews before renting. They had plenty of money, decent actors and a decent idea for a film. But they couldn't have done worse. None of the situations were believable, the dialog was formulaic rubbish & the 'finale' was so implausible it's shocking SPOILER ALERT: (one man's blood was toxic to the creatures, he blew himself up and killed them all in one go!)

Why Hanah took this job is beyond me. I guess she is desperate for work and wanted the exposure - but surely acting in this kind of drivel can only harm whats left of her career.

Avoid, avoid, avoid.

mediocre sci-fi flick

Author: Mark Smith from United States
11 November 2008

The good is that Darryl Hannah still looks very good. Gil Bellows is competent as the archaeologist who winds up the hero. The rest of the cast is typical for the venue. The screen time is 170 minutes long, but there is only about half that much material here. A decent editing job that cuts the time down to about 100 minutes would do the trick, but then it wouldn't be a mini-series. Usually it takes some interesting characters that get me personally involved to make me want to root for the heroes, but these guys just don't cut it. Some of the scenes are drawn out too long. The dialog is routinely flat. If it wasn't for being on last thing two nights in a row I probably wouldn't have watched it. It does have a few interesting scenes here and there, and the technical visual effects are interesting in places. If you like sci-fi and don't have anything better to do, watch it. Otherwise, look for more interesting fare.

Laughably bad

Author: Rick Ferris from Houston, TX, USA
24 April 2007

I would have rated this 'movie' a 1, but it did make me laugh, so I was lenient. I am an avid Sci-Fi lover, so I stuck it out and watched the whole thing.

I read all of the other comments that were here before I placed this comment. I agree with all of the comments about lack of plot, continuity and acting, so there's no point in me repeating them.

************ POSSIBLE SPOILER HERE ************** My greatest laugh from the movie was when the 'kryptonite astronaut' said about the human shells that the aliens wore: "They're just bugs, they put their humans on one leg at a time". I really cracked up at that one. ************* END OF SPOILER ********************

I used to go to Sci-Fi conventions when I was in college and make fun of the zombie movies during the films, I would have had no problem doing the same for this one.

Only watch this if you have NOTHING else to do!

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]