IMDb > Broken Bridges (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

And I don't even like Toby Keith

Author: claywillis from United States
10 September 2006

My wife adores Toby Keith but I'm not that wild about him or his music. I recognize the talent but he's not my "cup of tea". I took my wife to this movie thinking I was making a "sacrifice" but I REALLY liked this movie.

The story is good, the music is good, the acting is good (especially the relationship between Toby and his "daughter" in the movie), so what more could one ask for? I hope Paramount gets behind this movie with some promotion because I think a great many people would agree with me on the quality of this film.

Clay Willis Acworth, GA

a nice surprise

Author: marytricity from United States
9 September 2006

I am a big Toby Keith fan but have to admit that I didn't have exceedingly high expectations when I went to the premier last week (I've never been overly fond of films that I think of as only show-casing the talents or looks or reputation of a celebrity). I was surprised and happy to be wrong in this instance; I loved the film and felt that it was a solid offering, not only by Toby Keith, but by Kelly Preston and the rest of the cast. The acting was solid and the characters and their relationships were predominantly believable; Burt Reynolds was stellar, especially. The music, too, was a good fit and added to the movie for me. Both my husband (who is not a county music fan) and I thoroughly enjoyed it, and although it definitely is a "chick-flick", I would recommend it to county fans and non-country fans alike.

Warm-hearted, wholesome and wonderful

Author: tobo86-1 from United States
9 September 2006

Finally, a movie without profanity, violence, computer graphics, obnoxious music, and sex! But what this movie does have is Toby Keith, Kelly Preston, Burt Reynolds, Lindsey Haun, and a terrific soundtrack.

Lindsey Haun, who is not a newcomer to the acting biz, stole the movie in her spot-on portrayal of Dixie, a struggling 17 year old who longs for a family. Her scenes with Toby, Kelly and Burt were fabulous. When Dixie debuts her song to the congregation, she really shines. This gal can sing! No wonder Toby signed her to his label- Show Dog Records Nashville! Toby, in his big screen acting debut, proves he can do anything he sets his mind to. He more than just says lines - - he emotes, he connects, and he delivers a terrific freshman effort.

Tess Harper, Ann Marie Horseford, Willie Nelson, Bebe Winans, and Toby's very own Easy Money Band complete the cast.

I loved it and will see it again and again, and will own the DVD. Very family friendly.

The reason I didn't give this a 10 is because of the editing and some missing back story, not because of the acting performances.

Great Movie. Toby is super, but Lindsey Haun stole the show.

Author: jerrymcewen from United States
8 September 2006

You will love this movie if you like good wholesome entertainment with a great story and great acting. My wife and I were background actors in this one, and we are probably biased, but we had never heard of Toby Keith before and are definitely not fans of country music (still aren't). Now, we think Toby Keith hung the moon and is the greatest. He not only writes and sings some great music but he is also a super actor. Kelly Preston is OK, as are Burt Reynolds and Tess Parker. I even liked Willie Nelson's part. On the other hand, Lindsey Haun is a bright, beautiful, fresh, young star who sings like an angel and is a great actress in this movie. Bring your kids, especially those who aspire to be singers and you will all love this movie. You country and western fans will probably love it, too. I can't wait to get the album because all the songs are great.

Angel From Montgomery Movie with Toby Keith & Kelly Preston

Author: gmdowns from United States
8 January 2006

My husband & I had the most amazing chance of a life time experience in October 2005. We were extras in this movie for 8 days. We saw first hand what went on behind the scenes and the saw just a glimpse of what it takes to film a movie. We were 2 of only 6-8 extras many days and got to be around the actors a lot. We sat on the front porch of the "Delton Inn" (really the Veranda B&B in Senoia, Ga.)in swings and rocking chairs with Toby Keith, Burt Reynolds, Kelly Preston, Tess Harper and talked between scenes. Got to hear Toby cut up and sing funny songs between takes and while we were waiting and waiting and waiting for the next scene. They were all just wonderful! I was very impressed with Toby's acting ability and we all know how great Burt is. I think this movie will be a "sleeper" and be very successful! We may have wound up on the cutting room floor but I wouldn't have traded the experience for anything.

My heart is "Broken"

Author: stoogedude (stoogedude@hotmail.com) from Illinois
9 January 2007

I have seen many movies over the years, so I may be a little too discriminating. That said, Broken Bridges did not live up to my expectations. The writing wasn't the best. The directing wasn't the best. And the sound people should never work in Hollywood again.

That's not to say that Toby Keith is a bad actor. Quite the contrary, he shows real potential, and I really hope to see him in other movies, hopefully movies that are better written and allow Toby to really show his acting chops. Toby said that while it may not seem like a stretch, he is really different from his character, and unlike the real life Toby, Bo is struggling with his career. Toby...you're a great singer, brilliant songwriter, outstanding performer...but this wasn't much of a stretch. A cop, a lawyer, a teacher, or even a biker allows you to try out your acting chops. Toby plays a country singer, and Toby is really a country singer. Toby Keith's character dresses like...Toby Keith. But Toby did give a good performance, so I applaud him for that.

Lindsey Haun had better become a big star. She's beautiful, and shes a great singer and actress...a double WHAMMY! Her performance of Broken was one of the highlights of the movie. This wasn't a huge blockbuster film, but I hope it was big enough to get people to notice this great talent.

The soundtrack was very good, I'll give it that. But I was expecting much more with this film. It's great that so many people on here like it. It just wasn't for me.

An excellent feel-good movie

Author: paul-2484 from United States
9 September 2006

Had the chance to see an advance showing. Looking for a movie professional reviewers will ooh and ah over? Forget it! There are no real surprises, twists or turns ... no artsy-fartsy foreign director trying to impress the Hollywood types and hoping for some directing award. This movie comes only with some solid actors portraying what could easily happen in real life. Looking for high speed chases or Tom Cruise-like stunts? Don't bother with this film. Just bring your heart if you want to glean anything from this one.

Filmed in the real town of Senoia, Georgia, one 'Chicago Sun-Times' reviewer describes the fictional town of Armour Springs as "... one of those Southern towns that exist primarily in the minds of screenwriters". Apparently he's never been south of the Mason-Dixon line and we personally don't care for his type down here anyway. Senoia is only one of many small towns that do exist and have retained remnants of the America that was once innocent ... where kids could be kids and adults acted like adults. The same reviewer seemed impressed with Kelly Preston as giving the only "solid" performance. She did good but she wasn't at the top of her game. If you score her in comparison to the performance of the "rookies" (Toby Keith and Lindsey Haun) Preston wasn't that great.

While I loved the movie there are a few disappointments. The character of Anna Maria Horsford should have been expanded. She is an excellent actress and could have been given more exposure. A "situation" involving Dixie (Haun) and some guy seems to be left hanging. The movie could easily have been a television series by expanding both characters and plots within this quiet little town.

Bo Bice?

Author: rys86 from United States
12 August 2008

If you're a fan of Mystery Science Theater 3K, Attack of the Giant Leeches, or Pinata Survival Island, this movie might be for you.

I live in Nashville and I didn't even know of this movie's existence until the day prior to its release, when the advertising company panicked and blanketed Music Row with dozens of fliers and billboards. It barely lasted two weeks in theaters anyway.

Bad acting, bad writing, and poor production only begin to describe this embarrassment of a film. For starters, the names are a bit much: Bo Price, Angel, and Dixie? Eesh.

Toby's awkwardly slow delivery of lines makes one wonder what production assistant got stuck holding the cue cards off camera. Angel's character rapidly transitions from her city-slicker ways to a cowgirl, slipping into southern slang after two days on the ranch. Her wardrobe goes from chic to a female version of Toby's--in fact, in the final scene, their outfits are identical, making one wonder if the wardrobe assistant called in sick.

The audio is inconsistent - perhaps the most noticeable example is when Toby decides to go for a swim and his voice suddenly sounds like he's shouting in a gymnasium.

There's never quite enough explanation or character development to suffice what happens on-screen. Overacting, exasperation, grimaces, and moodiness best describes the actors' interpretation and direction of the terrible script.

This movie is best enjoyed after consuming a couple of alcoholic beverages and in the company of your wittiest friends. But that's not saying much.

Great message movie

Author: honeylyn from United States
9 September 2006

I really enjoyed the story line and the messages in the movie, and the sound track is awesome. Toby Keith's talent was very evident throughout the story, not only as a singer, but also as an actor. Kelly Preston was able to show her inward pain and disappointment for the way her high school boyfriend had treated her earlier in their lives. Lindsey Haun was a real surprise and has a nice singing voice. Of course the "old timers" were a very important part of the story also, as is true of actual Southern families. This is a good "Southern" story filmed from several small towns in Georgia near here. The scenery was very representative of the area. It was especially interesting to see the final movie after knowing a lot of the local extras and watching the filming last year.

This movie has "Razzie Award Winner" written all over it.

Author: idrinkred from United States
8 September 2006

I attended one of the premieres last night and have the following observations:

1. Just because you've directed a ton of music videos DOES NOT make you qualified to make movies. The movie had an overabundance of lingering shots that made no sense, horrible angles, and terrible lighting. The editing didn't help this mess at all. When "Dixie" shows up late for the memorial service her mother remarks about her hand but it's never clear what the heck she's talking about.

2. The plot had promise, but the script was thin and full of Ford Truck sized holes. We never get to understand what drives the characters, what's really behind the conflicts they all have with each other or exactly how they resolve them. Sixteen years of distance is wiped out in 4 days seemingly by magic. The deep conversations were marred by stupid clichés. (In fact, the whole town was one big cliché of southern life.) Half the audience groaned when Toby drawled "Ya got my blood runnin through your veins gurl"...and we were treated to that insipid line not once, but TWICE! The revelations were yawn inducing, and the dramatic confessions boiled down to "I was stupid and stubborn".

3. The acting was okay considering the wreck of a script they had to work with. Toby was dark and brooding most of the film, but when he smiled and lightened up he was charming. It's a shame he didn't have more screen time like that. Kelly Preston's acting chops are pretty rusty and it shows. Lindsay Haun is talented and it's certainly not her fault the writers made her character so unlikeable in the beginning that you don't blame her father for not coming to look for her. Burt Reynolds and Tess Harper were able to make more of this movie but still looked more or less lost. (And indeed, their characters get lost in this film!)

4. If you're a Toby fan you'll love the songs. But often the movie felt like a scene was forced in just so they could feature one of his songs--or the artists on his record label. For instance, the movie's official love song is "Crash Here Tonight". You'd think that would play around a tender love scene, but nope...we hear about 45 seconds of it as he's heading to a memorial service. It was as if they said "well, we gotta use this song somewhere". The song "Broken" is haunting and the best thing to come out of this movie.

In summary...a promising plot never fully develops and the movie is horribly uneven as it forceably tries to be a vehicle for Toby Keith's music and product placement for Ford Trucks. It goes from being about people rebuilding broken bridges to trying to be about the power of music but the story is told so poorly that both points get lost in this overgrown music video. I like Toby and really wanted to like "Broken Bridges" but the people he counted on to make this movie let him down and deserve one of his famous boots you know where.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]