IMDb > Wristcutters: A Love Story (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Wristcutters: A Love Story

Wristcutters: A Love Story More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

"Wristcutters: A Love Story" is a very strange yet unique look at what a person would do in the name of love.

Author: MovieManMenzel from United States
2 April 2006

Wristcutters" is about guy named Zia (Patrick Fugit) who commits suicide after his girlfriend breaks up with him. Once he does, he doesn't die but goes to a place where others who have committed suicide live as well. It's a bizarre tale of love, friendship, and the afterlife told through the eyes of director Goran Dukic and is based on the short story "Kneller's Happy Campers" by Etgar Keret. A funny, strange but very original film ensues…

I had the pleasure of being able see this film at the Philadelphia Film Festival earlier tonight and I was glad that I got the opportunity to see such an original and creative film which so few will ever see. While this movie may actually be too dark or weird for some audiences, I personally loved it. It's been a long time since I have seen a romantic comedy that is this unique and this original. The plot for the movie is so bizarre that your eyes and brain are glued to the screen the entire time.

This movie puts a whole new spin on the idea of a romantic comedy and does it flawlessly. All the characters seem to connect as they interact with each other. The movie seems to be a mix of the movie "Interstate 60" and the work of writer Hunter S Thompson. The movie at times is very dark and odd but it only adds to the originality and creative minds behind the film.

When watching this film, just sit back and enjoy the ride. This film takes you to a world that you have never seen before. Who would ever think you would see a movie about a world that exists only to those who have committed suicide? And the funniest thing is it's the same thing as our world but a few minor differences. This is a movie that relies on imagination, something we as adults seem to forget to use anymore. This movie challenges Hollywood to take risks and go beyond the typical storyline and into something more creative and out of the ordinary.

The acting in this film is very solid. Patrick Fugit who I feel is always underrated as an actor really does a great job in this film. I mean you think after movies like "Almost Famous" and "Saved!" his career would have taken off but oddly enough it hasn't yet. Regardless of his career, I think he did a great job with the material given to him. Also Shannyn Sossamon who played Mikal did a great job as well. Again I think she is another actress who has potential. She hasn't had a great breakout performance as of yet but I feel she has the potential to be big and when she does land that breakout role, she will be. Shea Whigham who played Eugene was very amusing. I enjoyed him as the crazy sidekick to Zia. And finally just because I think the guy is a riot and since half the audience started to laugh when they saw him appear on screen I must give credit to Will Arnett (GOB from Arrested Development) who appeared on screen for way to short of a role in my opinion. What made his role stand out was the fact that so many people recognized him as GOB on "Arrested Development" which as he came on screen near the end of the film, half the theater laughed and clapped. There are several others I haven't mentioned here but they all did a fine job as well.

Director and writer Goran Dukic did a great job on this film especially since it was his first feature film. As the audience talked with Mr. Dukic during the Q&A I found out that a lot of this film was taken directly from the short story but the way he brought the film alive was amazing. I honestly think this is probably one of the most original and creative films I have seen in the theater in the last year or so. And Mr. Dukic does a fine job directing this film and capturing this bizarre world.

In conclusion, if you're a fan of dark comedies I highly recommend this film. If you like movies that dare to be different I recommend you see this film. Honestly, I don't know the target audience for this film but it's definitely a must for those who want to see something original and different from the norm. It's a fine first film from director and writer Goran Dukic and it puts a new spin on the romantic comedy genre and all the things we will do for love. I would have to say it's probably the second best film I seen all year maybe not for being powerful or moving but for being really original and creative.

MovieManMenzel's final rating for "Wristcutters: A Love Story" is a 9/10. A must see for those who love creative and dark stories or like movies that go beyond the norm.

A wild, wacky, enjoyable ride - you won't slit your throat in the middle of it

Author: Chris_Docker from United Kingdom
9 August 2006

Sometimes we find beauty in the strangest places; and, remarkably for such a gruesome title, Wristcutters could probably be said to be a rather uplifting affirmation of life, hidden within a seriously quirky black comedy. Set in an afterlife reserved for people who commit suicide, it seems to contain wacky nuggets of truth from oddball characters including Zia, searching for the love of his life, Mikal, an accidental visitor, Eugene, a Russian musician that electrocuted himself on stage from being badly heckled, and the weird and wonderful Kneller, played by the ever-mysterious Tom Waits.

Zia slits his wrists and promptly wakes up in a world resembling this one, except that the colours are rather washed out and nobody smiles. He abandons his job at Kamikaze Pizza to search for his former love Desirée, and soon makes close friends with Mikal and Eugene, who accompany him on one of the strangest road trips since Dorothy lost her innocence in the Wizard of Oz.

What gives Wristcutters its edge, are the frequent, addictively interesting, and not immediately fathomable symbols that keep cropping up and nagging away like in any good movie that yearns for cult status: such as the black hole under the passenger seat where things just disappear. We just know that place - how many things have you lost there? Then there are people who are just far too weird to have been dreamt up on the back of a Hollywood paycheck: like the throat-singing mute, the dead-again messiah, or the policeman who still has a hole in his head.

There is a temptingly meaningful logic at work that will leave you fitting the pieces together long after the film has finished. Explaining how to perform minor miracles to the lovelorn Zia, Kneller tells him: "As long as you want it so bad, it's not going to happen - the only way it's gonna work is if it doesn't matter . . . " We soon start looking for clues to this rather crazy world and here Mikal (played by the much under-rated Shannyn Sossamon) looks like a good bet - but then so does anyone if you let your imagination run wild enough.

The religious orthodoxy behind the ultimate ideas of Wristcutters is a weakness, but it is put subtly and light-heartedly so will be inoffensive to most viewers.

If the stars in your sky have gone out for a while, maybe treat yourself to this zany and very well-produced story to set them on fire again. Wristcutters - a Love Story is at once touching, hilarious, thought-provoking and a hugely enjoyable ride.

One of Sundances Best of 2006

Author: gemini78 from United States
29 January 2006

This movie was the highlight of the Sundance Film Festival for me this year. It contains a true love story, hidden under dark satire, and amazing music. If there is one Sundance movie in 2006 you will regret not seeing, don't let it be this one. Wristcutters, is the reason we have this festival.Patrick Fugit(known for Almost Famous)gives an amazing performance. I was doubtful at first when I heard the name, but after seeing it I cannot stop saying enough good things. This one I will definitely pick up on DVD when it is released, and anyone who enjoys dark humor should as well. Again another Sundance job well done. I hope to see more films made like this.

An excellent film

Author: zaphodchak from United States
9 September 2007

An excellent film and well worth seeing: It defies pigeonholing into a genre; it's a romantic comedy, but not *at all* like the stereotypical romantic comedy, even if it does use some of the same conventions. It's a road movie, but not in the traditional sense. The dynamics and even the plot work and are believable, requiring less suspension of disbelief than I would've imagined. The music and cinematography work well into a story that is darkly/morbidly funny but also a bit sweet, without being saccharine. The acting is well done and the characters believable and quite well developed. This is definitely an art-house film, but one that it really decently pedestrian and accessible, rather than esoteric or exclusionary (that is, appealing to only art-house film lovers). The sound works well, and visual effects are only ever momentarily cheesy.

fish and whale

Author: zab from United States
4 April 2006

this is a must see picture. if you enjoyed Garden State then you will most definitely enjoy this. A movie that deals with life, and the appreciation of it all, even from a dead perspective in a creative way. a must see for Tom Waits Fans and recommended to anyone who's a sucker for a love story. The movie deals with what's at the core of a person. Cinematography that let's a viewer sink into the story, and laugh at what most would refer to as a "dark" or "sad" topic. With all that's going on in the world, it's about time that we start to realize that life is what we have, it's something valuable, that we have the choice to live, and can start living it any day. When Mikal says, "most of my friends were already half dead or dead anyways.", it does make you think and the movie pushes the idea it's never to late to start your life. The actors are all well picked for this movie, it seems as though they all move with ease together. You will leave the theater feeling not so much better about life, but with a smile on your face. You'll feel not a huge sigh of a relief, but a sigh of delight. Something about the movie made me remember time and time again that the purpose is to enjoy what you have, and to love without regret. It's a movie that makes you appreciate life from a new angle.

Roadtrip meets black comedy meets love story

Author: Babybug3 from Washington
4 June 2006

This is one of the best movies I've seen in a while! It's also one of the funniest movies I've seen recently.

The beginning definitely sets you up for the action to come and adds shock value. The first half hour or so was hilarious, filled with nice little humorous tidbits. Then it launches into the whole road trip scheme and focuses a lot more on the characters' emotional journey.

What's also neat for anyone who's spent a lot of time in Los Angeles and the valley is that you can recognize most of the scenery. This brings the plot into our world a little and makes it sort of familiar. The characters bring you along with them on their journey.

Patrick Fugit was fantastic in his role, as were all of the other actors. There were even a few surprise castings that had the audience roaring with laughter and cheering towards the end of the film.

This is truly a character-driven film of the type that you don't find much anymore. You won't regret any minute of it!

Captivating

Author: placebotonic from Slovenia
14 March 2008

This is one of "those" movies. You know the kind - like a catchy tune the vibe of this movie stays in your head... the movie had all the chances in the world to be depressing, but it was far from it, there are only a few drama elements and the title is not deceiving, it truly is a love story and a beautiful one at that and also threaded with great humor, when I laughed, I laughed hard. And I would probably cry if the ending was any different.

I won't go into possibilities and impossibilities of metaphysical, because that's absolutely not what this story is about; purgatory, if you will, is only the stage, where the romantic play is performed, with that, it's innovative though actually daring, as it was probably obvious the box office would never explode from what 'Wristcutters' would make. In my opinion, the movie is so well made it would have been great even if it was stripped of suicide thing and it was just a plain love story. Oh and Shannyn Sossamon was so convincing, I think I'm in love with her now. ;)

Although dark, oddly uplifting

Author: smcsween17 from Santa Monica, CA
27 July 2006

Bleak film of death and a depressing afterlife. Lots of nice little touches, like with the music - you only pick up on it after talking with people about it. From what I understand not completely faithful to the book, although I didn't read it. Good humor, oddly uplifting due to the romance.

Saw this at Sundance this year, was one of the 3 best we saw. Patrick Fugit was brilliant. Shannon was also strong. If you like dark films, you won't be disappointed. Can't comment on technical aspects of film, since i'm not in the industry.

Summary: Great cast, good writing. Fun times by all.

I just didn't feel it.

Author: jrobins2 from United States
16 May 2008

I stumbled upon the trailer on the internet, and it looked like it had all the makings of a quirky indie film: an interesting setup, a road trip, Tom Waits, so I was excited to see it, and... I don't know, it just fell kind of flat for me. It was neither all that funny, or all the dramatic, just sort of plodded along. There were whole spans of this movie that were aimless and without spark. The characters never become full or interesting. It's not bad, it's not good, it felt like cinematic purgatory. I just kept waiting for the movie to take off, but then it was over. Patrick Fugit does a good job trying to make an incredibly uncompelling character watchable, and Shea Wigham's a riot when given the chance. Still, you'll spend the movie wishing there had been a more experienced director, crew and a more innovative writer (Charlie Kaufman, vielleicht?)

Enlightening

Author: letsroll from Earth
12 April 2006

Where do we end up when we die? What type of hell do we go to if we've "offed ourselves" as the characters in WRISTCUTTERS say? This fanciful movie opens with Fugit's character Zia organizing, cleaning, and straightening his room, readying himself for his death. In the blink of an eye, we see Zia's body on the floor of the bathroom, blood everywhere, and we're transported to a world which is hot, dull, endless, and sad. Zia discovers that everyone in this world has offed themselves, and the physical traits remain. Zia offed himself because of intense sadness caused by his girlfriend Desiree. He's befriended by Eugene, whose whole family is there. There days are filled with drinking, doing odd jobs, and trying to make the time pass. But Zia discovers that his girlfriend has committed suicide and he's on a mission to find her. With Eugene, they roadtrip ... to nowhere, searching for the woman and meet Mikal, who is also on a search, for the PIC: People in Charge. The film follows these characters as they search for something, someone to fill the void that they had when they were alive. The film is well shot with great music and tender moments. The only negative about the film is the writing. It would have been much more interesting to see an arc in Fugit's character, instead, it's rather straightline as everyone around him changes.

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]