IMDb > Premonition (2007/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 33:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Premonition - Through My Eyes

Author: cheers-2 from United States
19 March 2007

I feel as though I perhaps see more into movies than either: a) what may actually be meant or b) what others may see in the film. This could be true with this movie as well, but I think it is the latter. With many movies it is difficult to give a real review without giving away much of what needs to be experienced first hand. That is definitely the case with Premonition. So, first I will say that the exhausting but powerful performance by Bullock was commendable. She was in every single scene and the toll must have been heavy. She pulled it off with gold stars. The story was very unique. The dialogue did not stand out as incredible, but you have to understand that this is almost a one woman show. So far I see no flaws in the writing. I will watch it again, but I think that most of the common confusions with the stories lines can be explained. The movie goes back and forth and you really need to pay attention and have a great sense of time. It can be tricky to figure out if what is happening is past, present or future. But if I could figure it outI am sure anyone can. Now, I want to discuss what this movie said to me. It may however be a gateway to spoilers. So, if you plan on watching this movie and want to do so with a fresh headdo not read any further. Just know that it is a movie worth watching, you need to pay attention and definitely open your mind. Bullock's character in the film was a housewife with a husband and 2 daughters. She was a stay at home mom and it was clear that she had been experiencing some depression prior to the news of her husband's death. Through out the movie you go back and forth through moments when her husband is dead and alive. After she learns of his death, she experiences lapses in time when she seems to jump through timelines in her life changing little experiences here and there that impact the next timeline. Does that make sense? Anyway. She learns he was about to have an affair and for a moment, decides she prefers him dead and that even though she thinks she MAY be able to help avoid his death, she wonders if she should even do that. We learn during these times that their relationship was on its last breaths. They seem almost resentful and bitter towards one another. She then has a conversation with a clergyman and asks his opinion on what she can/should do. He basically tells her that she needs to find something to fight forsomething to be hopeful about. She finally decides that she wants to not only save her husband, but their marriage. The night before she thinks he is going to die she explains to him (in very little words mostly tasteful and romantic actions) that she wants their marriage to survive. They end up making love. The next day she wakes up and it is the day he is to die. She does what she can to stop it. She finally gets in touch with him on his cell phone and tells him that she knows all about the affair and that she doesn't care she loves him. They exchange 'I loves yous' a few times and she sees his car ahead of hers right at the spot he was suppose to die. She tells him to turn around thinking that will change the course and he would survive. But when he does this, a gas tanker hits his car obviously killing him. She wakes at the end, you know it is months later and she has a pregnant belly. She was able to changes the details in her life. She was able to forgive her husband before he died; instead of him dying while they both lived in contempt of one another. She was able to come to terms with the possibility of his death; instead of the sudden shock. She was able to allow him to spend some quality time with his children; knowing she may not be able to stop his demise. And of course, she was able to create another child one that would have never existed otherwise. But she was not able to change his ultimate fate. She was not able to stop his death. This is how the film spoke to me, being a depressed housewife and mother whose marriage has seen better days We can change how we behave and react in our lives right now. We can decide to make our lives better for the moments we are in presently. We can make little changes that can affect us forever. But we truly have little control over our ultimate fate. And when it comes down to it we all have the same fate; death. It can come when we least expect it. It can come after a long, hideous illness. But it will come. What we need to do is live our lives for the happiness and love that sit in our paths right now. RIGHT NOW. Not a new theory. Nothing I am saying hasn't been heard a million times before. But perhaps this needs to be drilled into our heads though movies, music, books, newswe need to start living the way we deep down know we should. You want to know the meaning of life? This is it, my friends. As simple as that. Life is short. Live, love, give and appreciate. Period. Most of us won't have the opportunities the characters had in this movie. We need to take those opportunities now because instead of waking up to yesterdaywe may not wake up at all.

Much better than some reviewers have suggested

Author: barrycreamer from United States
23 March 2007

I read some negative reviews of this movie before I went to see it. They were completely misguided! The movie is both intelligent and emotionally appealing. The actors are excellent. The literary symbols are consistent and right on the mark for the destination of this very well-made film. It is important to keep in mind that the movie is made on a time-line of contingencies, so that what would otherwise be inconsistent actually can make sense in light of changes introduced by the non-sequential experiences of Sandra Bullock's character. I suppose those looking for some kind of horror movie or brain-blank thriller (both of which can be enjoyable in their own light) might not have enjoyed it. But those looking for a narrative worth following, a message with some significance, and a generally well-made movie ought to see it.

Plot holes, bad acting, and one bad ending

Author: rharsin-1 from Mid-west, United States
15 March 2007

I had expectations for what this film was going to be like. It fell short horribly. Maybe I had too great of expectations.

The movie starts out really well and is strong for a while. As it progresses, there are plot holes. It goes through all the days in a week, and there are inconsistencies between the days. A lot of the occurrences work out as the days progress, but some of them don't, and just leave you wondering "why did they think that? they knew what really happened." Even if Sandra doesn't know what happened in the previous days, everyone else does and at points they blatantly don't seem to know about things they should. Also, Sandra will do things on a later day of the week because of something that happened earlier in the week. Why is she doing those activities if she does not know about the earlier events yet? It's tough when dealing with time, to work out all the kinks. At some points it seems like the movie works out, but then some things don't.

I thought Sandra's acting was solid, she gave a good performance. The daughters were also good little actresses. McMahon's performance was bad. He puts out nothing until the very end where it looks like he is actually showing emotion. I don't think he was well suited to the role.

The ending seemed to negate the entire point of the movie. It's the only ending that could make sense I guess, and yet it did not fit. It left all of us in the theater wondering "Is that it? That's how it ends?!" It resolves nothing and leaves you with a bad taste. The very end of the movie is also a huge cliché that I wish the movie would just have avoided.

Over all, I thought the movie was entertaining for a while. Then it lost its steam. I will probably not see it again, once is enough. It's a good movie if you don't analyze things. If you simply want to watch a movie, then maybe you'll enjoy it. However, if you prefer to also think about what you've seen, this probably isn't the movie for you.

Very glad to have seen it, will see it again ASAP.

Author: ladyinterference from San Antonio, TX, USA
18 March 2007

Here's a clue on how to watch this movie: If you're looking to be disappointed based on any inconsistencies, pay closer attention to the movie. The so-called "inconsistencies" are actually based on a series of events that combine to actually change many of the things you end up seeing happening early on in the movie. Remember: The events that you see happening on the screen aren't happening linearly. The calendar hops all over the place throughout the movie, so it is possible for events that transpire one day to effect what ends up happening in future days. There are two days that are especially noteworthy in terms of what would change the events of the future and they happen toward the end of the movie. Think of how these events will affect the other events that happen in the future and remember that as you see what happens at the end of the movie.

I think the reason this movie hasn't been garnering a lot of critical praise is because movie critics don't really want to have to utilize logic while watching a movie. Another poorly reviewed film starring Sandra Bullock, the truly brilliant The Lake House, was an even bigger victim of movie critics' pathetically anemic logic processing skills. In watching both movies, you really have to keep your faculties alert and not lull yourself into a sense of "okay, I can just turn my brain off now." And really, even though this movie isn't as good as The Lake House, it is equally blessed with the beautiful, talented Ms. Bullock, on top of featuring the beautiful, talented Nia Long, the totally likable Julian McMahon, and some very good acting by the child actors. And the film is very beautiful to look at, too; I now understand why Bullock was raving about the cinematography and direction.

So please do see this movie and don't be dissuaded by the negative remarks. You really do have to pay attention to this film in order to enjoy it, but once you do pay attention, you will be richly rewarded. I'm glad I went to see it and so should you.

Surprised and Happy.

Author: Kyle Peppers (Xopunkguyxo@aol.com) from TN
19 March 2007

Well I walked into "Premonition" today expecting the worst based on the low rating here on IMDb, but throughout the course of the movie I felt my smile growing bigger and bigger.

It started off smoothly and nicely, and had some of the best directing I've seen in a while. The suspense was held together well, and all of the acting was great. There were a few good scares even.

The moment I saw the title on the poster a few months back, I thought to myself, 'How can this do anything different that the Final Destination series hasn't?' Well I was proved wrong. This movie was put together amazingly and seemed very original to me.

The only flaws I see with this movie is that you seen the end coming from 3/4 through the movie, and I sympathized more at the beginning of the film rather then the end. But all in all, PREMONITION is a must see. 8/10.

Don't believe the bad critics and definitely not the low rating on IMDb.

Author: Chrivhec from Belgium
23 September 2007

I went to see Premonition yesterday and I enjoyed it very much, so I can't understand why people say that this is a bad film. It's a good psychological drama with top acting and good directing. It's a movie on which you have to focus, but that goes automatically and it's not so hard to follow when you don't think "What the hell is going on" during the film.

Sandra Bullock is very convincing, as always, and we also get some good performances by Kate Nelligan, Nia Long and Julian McMahon.

So please, don't listen to the critics, they don't know what they're talking about. And as for the rating on IMDb: the only explanation I can think of is that a lot of people don't get this film because it's too complicated (although it's not), or because they didn't like the ending, or maybe because they expected too much. But this is definitely a very good drama, and it's one of those movies that make you think about how important life is.

Everyone who wants to see this movie: see it without any expectations and prejudices, you won't be disappointed.

Was an 8/10 until the ending came around... what a letdown

Author: Surecure from Canada
14 March 2007

"Premonition" is one of the few films I recall seeing where I left the theatre infuriated. Not because the movie was bad. Rather, the movie was very good until the utterly annoying ending.

This film had it all. The script for the most part was mature and well paced. The direction was superb. The score was excellent. And Sandra Bullock held herself quite nicely throughout the film, putting forward one of her better performances.

That being said, the entire film comes to a screeching halt with one of the sloppiest endings I have ever seen. It was bad enough that I could see the crux of the finale from a mile away. But what pounded it in further was that this crux comprised the entirety of the conclusion. Not only is it not enough to be the ending, but it resolves nothing. When the screen faded to black and credits began to roll, the entire audience where I was began to chuckle and I could hear a chorus of, "Is that it? That's the ending?"

This is one of those films that could be enjoyable so long as the viewer stopped before the final scene. Even that might leave the viewer feeling let down, but not nearly so as having to watch what is surely the sorriest excuse for a finale I've seen in a professional film in a long time. "Premonition" showed lots of promise and delivered throughout, but collapses just before the finish line. A wasted opportunity for all those involved, and sadly so.

Possibly the loosest script ever put on film... Atrocious!

Author: baronmordo001 from Maryland, USA
13 March 2007

The major flaw of this movie is it's script. The idea's involved are not well thought out and at time's it feels as though there were parts of the movie that were written out. The character that Bullock plays is a tool of destiny, meaning that she receives this information (we'll get to why in a bit) and instead of trying to prevent it she takes every step she can to move towards it. For example, early on when she flashes to after her husband's death she finds she has been prescribed lithium and the doctor who prescribed it to her would in fact commit her. When she tries to find this doctor in the phone book she finds that the page with his name has been torn out. Now, flash forward to the past before the husband death and logic should dictate do not contact the doctor but of course this does not happen. Instead she immediately goes to the phone book and ~(mock)shock~ rips the page out goes to his office and tells him that her husband is going to die and that she knows this because she is living her life out of order and ~(mock)shock~ the doctor prescribes her lithium. This is about the time where a normal person would think maybe I should try to change this... Once again, no. In fact at no point does anyone try to discover if this can be prevented. Bullock, more or less, hurdles towards the end where ~(mock)shock~ she finds she is the reason behind the husbands accident and she can't save him because everything she has done was the cause of it. Now on to the truly ridiculous. The reasoning that we're giving for Bullock's problem is her loss of faith in god, however, we never see where she looses her faith. In fact other than the priest saying it's been a while since he's seen her we have no reason to think she even had faith in god.

The inconsistencies in the movie are even worse. The daughter of Bullock on Tuesday of this insane week. Runs through a pane of glass slashing her face up however on Wednesday when we first see the girl there is no sign of this at all. Also, Bullock is at the scene of the horrid accident when it occurs which begs the question why did the cops have to come and tell her. Finally the only person who believes her at all is in fact her husband proved by that fact that he triples his life insurance policy the day of his death... but he doesn't even ask how he dies!!! No one, not even the man who dies, tries to prevent this from happening until 5 minutes before it happens. The list does go on but I'm afraid I'd have to publish a book in order to list them all. Simply put the script was awful, the characters were beyond stupid, the camera work brought back thoughts of the Blair Witch and it was extremely predictable. This is basically a glorified Lifetime movie.

Very interesting premise combined with spooky mood and tone

Author: tigergolf06 from Coventry, RI
21 March 2007

I just saw this in the cinema last night with my girlfriend. First of all, this movie was not even close to as bad as pretty much every review has said. This was a very interesting movie and worked upon an original idea and executed it in an above average manner. The only gripes I had with it were that the priest in the end and Dr. Roth were casted very poorly and detracted from the punch in the end. Speaking of the ending, it wasn't nearly as a let down as people say on here either. Not quite a movie I'd see more than once, but it kept me interested and entertained until the end- what more could you ask for? The scenery and cinematography were excellent and the whole movie seemed like it took place either at sunrise or at sunset, which added a serene and quiet backdrop to it, which I noticed right away. The soundtrack was fantastic and right up there with the Sixth Sense in terms of effectiveness; none of it got in the way of the action.

I highly recommend this movie to families and couples- it's a great way to forget about the outside world for an hour or so! Grade: B-

Piecing the Puzzle Together

Author: gradyharp from United States
26 August 2007

Relative newcomers, writer Bill Kelly and director Mennan Yapo, have concocted a testy little conundrum of a movie titled PREMONITION: whether the audience decides to step into their little nightmare or reject the premise that powerful emotions can drive the brain to peculiar directions of functioning will be the divisive break in acceptance of the film's premise. It is a fairly well done, thought provoking experience and is carried by some better than average performances by a strong cast.

The Hanson family is introduced as the husband Jim (Julian McMahon) and wife Linda (Sandra Bullock) buy their new home. Jump forward after the credits to a family that now includes two young schoolgirls (Shyann McClure and Courtney Taylor Burness), a seemingly mildly depressed Linda and a workaholic Jim. Abruptly, Linda is informed by a police officer that Jim has died in an auto accident and her close friend (Nia Long) and mother (Irene Ziegler) help Linda through the early moments of the tragedy. Yet Linda continues to 'relive' moments: one day Jim is dead the next he is alive, and all of the pieces of the puzzle that erode Linda's mind become clues to investigate information she doesn't want to know. She encounters a warped psychiatrist (Peter Stormare) and a possible 'other woman' in Jim's life (Amber Valletta), and as she attempts to mold the puzzle pieces to make sense, she learns about the possible 'why' of the mental state in which she is trapped.

The film has problems holding credibility, but then the premise is a novel enough to allow such missteps. Sandra Bullock takes over this role completely, gains our empathy, and in the end the film works because of her. She is becoming an actress who is learning the value of understatement and that aspect of her craft serves her well. No, this is not a great movie, but it is a well-produced little mystery that asks the audience to engage both mind and imagination, and that is a good thing! Grady Harp

Page 1 of 33:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]