IMDb > Pirates of the Great Salt Lake (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Pirates of the Great Salt Lake

Pirates on the Great Salt Lake like other great off beat comedies

Author: srfrazier from san diego
8 May 2006

Pirates on the Great Salt Lake, what a novel idea. The film was clever--an evil pawn broker, two pirates, a worried mother, a gypsy, a detective, and a girl seeking a bad boy. The pirates are of course looking for buried treasure; their dialogue and comic relief was hilarious and they take you to the end of the journey effortlessly. The pawn broker makes an excellent villain. The cinematography was amazing, I never realized the Great Salt Lake was so beautiful, it is breathtaking. The film has a good message and the soundtrack is very well done. I would recommend this film to anyone that liked Office Space, Oh Brother Where Art Thou, or My Name is Earl (TV show).

Great independent movie, a must see for film buffs.

Author: (endkaos) from Scottsdale, Arizona
27 March 2006

This film recently won Festival Choice at the 2006 Phoenix Film Festival. I was partially skeptical when I entered the theater, preparing to find the film demeaning to those who love pirates. I was pleasantly surprised to be drawn into the movie and found myself caring for the success of the characters.

E.R. Nelson should be commended for tackling a "water movie" as his first feature film and being successful with the story line. Those of you familiar with the Great Salt Lake may find some of the scenes especially funny, including the natural aspects of the environment.

If you ask why I gave this movie and 9 out of 10, the reason is at the end and I don't want to give away the ending. I just wish there could have been a little bit more.

Original and out there!

Author: FreddieW from Arizona
1 April 2006

This is hands down one of the craziest movies I have seen in a long time. It's everything I didn't suspect it would be and then some. I thought it would be some knock-off spoof, but I was surprised. I totally didn't see this coming.

The plot is too far out there to describe, but it's basically a modern version of the Don Quixote story... though still very original. The idea is masterful, and the timing seems perfect. Well written (highly quotable!) and well paced, and the score is surprisingly epic for a low-budget indy. The acting is very strong. There seem to be obvious influences... I would say The Big Lebowski, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Napoleon Dynamite (it stars Trish!)... and it's all so funny.

If there is any justice in this world, this film will find distribution. What else can I say. Go see it!

This Film is a true Pirate's Treasure!

Author: (mackay@captjackspiratehats.com) from Isle de Tortuga
13 February 2006

On Sunday Feb 5th I flew down to SanFrancisco to attend the San Francisco Independent Film Festival and the second showing of Pirates of The Great Salt Lake. I arrived at the theater an hour early in order to meet up with ER Nelson, the director of the film, Kirby Heybourne (who plays Kirk) the star of the film and several of the producers.

I was told by the SF Indie film fest organizers that the much awaited Friday night World Premiere of PotGSL received a standing ovation from a sold out crowd. I was getting so excited to see it, and hoping I wouldn't let down. I've been sitting and waiting since August, not an easy thing to do. Independent films are a tricky business, often it is the director's first film ( as in this case) , often the actors are less experienced "unknowns", and in almost all cases the production budget puts extreme limitations on everything. Despite these factors or because of them , Pirates of the Great Salt Lake is like finding that elusive buried treasure. This film is a real gem! It is original and refreshing, and dare I say.... OK, so I hate the comment "it's a Feel Good movie". just not the kind of comment Pirates should make. Well........This is a Very Very Feel Good Movie, and its a feel good Buddy Movie!! I smiled all the way through the screening Dammit! I hope I wasn't being watched or there goes my Pirate rep.. A very well thought out script ,co-written by Eric Nelson who also skillfully directs, and solid comedic performances by the principle actors had me laughing out loud within the first few seconds. It has everything that a good Pirate film should, Pirates (duh), ships (er, boats) , the plank, weapons, maps and cursed treasure, ghosts, skirmishes, thievery, back stabbing, murder, wenches ( and not all in that order) It's campy, it's tongue in cheek, it pokes fun at the current pirate culture, and stereotypes. It even pays backhanded homage to Johnny Depp. And I loved this film for it. The music perfectly underscores that our two heroes are living their Grand Pirate Dream. And while they may be two average young guys,... they are truly Pirates! There are also some unique cover versions of contemporary rock songs strategically placed that will have you chuckling. Like when Kirk and Flint meet for the first time

Spread the word and keep a weather eye open for this Treasure, and keep our cutlasses crossed that this film gets picked up and distributed. It deserves it and we all NEED it!

Synopsis: Kirk Redgrave and Flint Weaver are two young, 20- something loners in Utah who live near the Great Salt "Sea". Each with their own issues, they meet through chance and set out together to become the best Pirates the world has ever seen. As in real life, Piracy is a tough go for our heroes, filled with much failure and disappointment, it is a hard life ( well, three weeks anyway) and then they come across a long lost treasure map. They must battle a ruthless rival and contend a curse in order to collect the treasure and fulfill their dream. Will they or will they not....

Two lovable pirates go in search of buried treasure.

Author: yukkerson from United States
8 May 2006

This film is a must see! I recently saw this film at the Newport Beach film festival and found it to be sweetly surprising. The acting was great, especially Kirby Heyborne in the lead role, who is lovable, enthusiastic and endearing all in one. Heyborne and Trenton James, who plays Flint Weaver, are a gem to see. Their respective characters play well off one another, which adds a measured balance to the film. Director E.R. Nelson must also be given kudos for his first feature film. His comedic presence behind the camera shines through in every scene. I also find it quite amazing, to say the least, that this "Napolean-esque" comedy was made in only three weeks time. You can't tell by watching the film.

To all of those who love to laugh, or just like to laugh, this film must be seen. To any distributors out there, this one is a hit that will keep on giving!

good stuff, lots of fun

Author: epic_movie_fan from United States
19 May 2006

This review contains some thematic spoilers, but not necessarily crucial plot elements. PotGSL is a wonderful and creative comedic adventure on the low sea that rests on the outskirts of suburbia. Many of the reviews that I read before seeing the film compared it with Napolean Dynamite and thus similarly praised or criticized both. I recently saw it at the Indianapolis International Film Festival and I have to admit that the humor is comparable, but PotGSL extends the identity crises of the characters beyond the high school world of Napolean. In early adulthood, many of us find ourselves with jobs that don't give our lives meaning. Sometimes we can even feel like we've lost ourselves to the conventional measures of success. Upon realizing that we are called to a different way of life (like to fulfill childhood dreams of becoming a pirate or a princess), we still might have to deal with how we are perceived if we choose to follow our dreams. But wouldn't it be great if we stumbled on to a treasure map to get us there? The pirate journey in PotGSL is not just about finding a buried treasure, but living life in spite of the mistakes of the past, whether they involve imposed curses or unfinished responsibilities. As a viewer, I was less interested in figuring out what would happen next in the movie than keeping up with the journey of the characters as they learned more about themselves and recognized the impact of the past on their future. Rather than merely living up to some conventional standards indifferent to our individual passions in life, PotGSL seems to be more about becoming the kind of people we want to be in the face of socially acceptable ways to live. And it advocates this with a great deal of humor. I loved this movie, and I hope that you will, too.

About as good as a pirate movie should be

Author: SPAMkid from United States
10 April 2007

In short: This is a great indie flick, and if I said anything more I'd give it away, so watch it yourselves ye scurvy dogs!

In long: It's really hard for me to believe that a movie this good took six months to make from idea to post-production, it was really great. I loved the excellent characters and plot presented in the movie. The story is honestly funny with very few cheap gags, and the actors go over the top in a way that makes them genuinely believable. The film work was excellently done, and the locations that were chosen perfectly set the mood of the film. The whole movie just embodies the classic pirate feeling that pirate fanatics have come to cherish; it has cursed treasure, romance, thrills, conflict, and plenty of laughs throughout. I hate to compare it to something like Napoleon Dynamite, but there are definite similarities between the two, strictly in the sense that both are highly quotable and are destined to become cult classics. Really though, if you like pirates, you'll love this movie.

A great movie experience!

Author: m2dad from Arizona
22 September 2007

This movie lived up to all that I had heard about it. I took many members of my extended family to a special screening in Salt Lake. I did not tell any of them about the movie they would be screening in order to keep from influencing them with any hype. The movie came as a wonderful surprise to them all. I enjoyed hearing them laugh out loud throughout the whole movie. We had the pleasure also of meeting one of the stars Trent James, who graciously answered many questions we threw at him. I do hope a distribution deal will be struck soon so it will be released nationwide. I have no doubts that it will be a sleeper hit. You would have thought that Hollywood would have taken the hint from the success of Napoleon Dynamite as to the kinds of movies that American families are craving. This movie will appeal to even a wider audience than N.D.

A more honest opinion

Author: ve_film from United States
17 August 2009

Okay, first off, I LOVE pirates, pirate movies, stories, books, shows, most anything pirate-related, such is why I rented this from Netflix. This movie was entertaining about the first 20-30 minutes, then the story became drab and poorly put together. There was little to no sense throughout the remainder of the film, and despite what has been written in many reviews above, you can tell this was filmed in three weeks, and the script seemed to be written in a lot less time than that. Kirby Heyborne who I've never heard of or seen before, did an excellent job with his performance, even though he had little to work with, and was about the only good thing about this movie. Trenton James gave a more than decent performance as well. As for the rest of the cast, appeared more like friends and family, than actual talented or trained actors. The description is that of "Two Teenagers," but yet neither of the main characters looks even close enough to play a Senior in college, so either the casting was bad, or the description should have been changed. I have a feeling that the majority of the positive comments hailing this film as great, are from people associated with the film, and/or members of the "Free The Pirate" fan club. The "Idea" is good, and I can get past the quality of filming with low-to-no budget films, when the quality of the story is prevalent, this, however, is not one of those cases. As with any opinion on a movie or anything at all, it is just that, an opinion. I still however support filmmakers who want to get their stuff out there, but as well, I support the honesty and criticism of people close to me, and would've hoped those close to the makers of this film, had told them to spend much more time during pre-production before diving in.

Perfect? No. Entertaining and Original? Definitely

Author: swinginjonny from United States
29 April 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, I wanted to see it again, and in the end that's what matters. It is a typical low-budget indie film in that some of the acting was average at best but the two leads had a wonderful chemistry and played interesting characters. I wanted to spend time with them and see what happens. The director was good, and while definitely not perfect, you can tell he had a vision and was telling a story he wanted to tell. There is an authenticity which was refreshing, despite the odd premise. There are times it drags and feels like it's lost but no matter where you think it's headed, you'll be wrong. That being said, I found it charming. At its heart it is amusing and there are parts where it's laugh-out-loud funny. If you do NOT enjoy odd characters and quirky comedies, (a la "Lars And the Real Girl", "Napoleon Dynamite", maybe "A Mighty Wind") skip this one. If you like character-driven, unique movie experiences, give it a try.