IMDb > Norbit (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Norbit

Norbit More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 27: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Just Awful

Author: sdtownsend2005-1 from Nashville, TN
10 February 2007

In a movie theater filled to capacity with about 400 viewers, I sat last night and watched as 31 people got up from their seats and left this film early. Keeping count of those couple of people who just burned 8.75 each, was definitely more interesting than this movie.

First, I don't know if this movie was more offensive to overweight women, black women, white women, black men such as myself, Chinese men, or mankind in general. The opening scene begins with Eddie Murphy, in character as a Chinese man, who discusses how know one wants to adopt an ugly black baby. Of course no one in the theater laughs and this scene contains for a couple more moments.

Aside from the Chinese bashing, this movie contains the overweight women who uses her size to abuse other people, it contains the classic black male as a buffoon, pimp, and hustler and it cracks 1990's style jokes that are derived from nutty professor fame. It also contains a wayans brother, and a few white women who are proud to serve for the pimps in the film.

If you view this film, you will enjoy a few laughs. Depending on who you are you could definitely be offended and leave the theater or sit in agony as some idiot laughs at the fact that there are people swearing in church and in front of children. You could also think that there is nothing wrong with this film and find it a laugh riot, similar to the wayans brothers production, Little man.

I stayed simply because I wasn't going to flush away my money. But I definitely went into the theater with the expectation of seeing a movie similar to coming to America, instead a watched an ignorant film by a washed up Eddie Murphy.

Norbit review

Author: Miles burton from Oxford
27 March 2016

Why all the hate? I think this film is epic. Very few movies made me laugh as much as this movie did. Top notch comedy! I suppose not everyone has the same sort of humour, but this movie was for me. I have a very wide range of movies, I love sci fi (Star Wars) my favourite one being the Terminator. But this was a movie that I put on whenever I am feeling down, and it never fails to cheer me up. This movie means a lot to me, and I don't why why there is all this Eddie Murphy hate??? I think Eddie Murphy played the character of Respucia brilliantly, and it came across to me how it s]it was meant to come across to everyone else. I don't know if I am one of the only people to have loved this movie, but in my eyes, comedy doesn't get any better than this!

I laughed so hard all through it

Author: hopebuild from United States
9 October 2015

I absolutely loved this movie. I have seen it three or four times now and I still laugh all throughout the movie. The movie is just hilarious and Eddie Murphy does a great job in playing the various rolls. I am saddened to read some of the reviews where people are offended by the humor in Norbit. I guess those people are a lot more sensitive than I am because I thought the humor was fine. I am a big fan of Norbit and would recommend it to anyone as long as you are not over sensitive to fat jokes or racial acknowledgment. I hope that Eddie Murphy keeps coming out with these hilarious movies where he plays multiple rolls because I love them. Norbit reminds me a little bit of a fairy tale.

By far the funniest Eddie flick in over a decade

Author: marcclark2007 from Houston, Texas
28 January 2015

Eddie had crossed over into the g and pg film arena and his original fans that knew him from "Raw" had been yearning to hear the Eddie Murphy they grew to love. He delivered that and then some. This is not a film for those who like him in pg and g rated films. Nor if you are sensitive about jokes about people overweight. I hadn't seen anyone deliver multiple roles in such a funny way since Richard Pryor. A must see for any of you who enjoyed him in Raw or Delirious. It will have you rolling from the onset. His facial expressions and sounds as Norbit are a dry humor but his role as Rasputia is blatant humor. He personifies an angry wife down to the letter.

Eddie at his best

Author: edlion43 from United Kingdom
30 September 2011

well Norbitt came out to awful reviews in this country..anti women..anti fat women...anti everything women...I like Eddie Murphy..if he has gone where eagles don't the guy is incredible...Norbitt is so funny from the first second to the last....the story is ..boy meets girl..boy loses girl...boy regains girl, but oh boy the action is thick and fast..Norbitts wife deserves an Oscar...but you have to keep telling yourself thats Murphy....and who ever delivered the line "God bless America" or"Officer down " with more of a belly laugh...The Man is so funny I cant think of anyone giving me more laughs The nutty Professor was funny but this film I've watched it ten times,and I don't tire of it..if your a fat feminist ..dont watch...but for the rest of you ..enjoy

Im Dying Of Laughter!!

Author: jamierulz98 from Australia
6 January 2013

This is just too funny. I've watched it over 100 times and still continues to crack me up. Don't listen to those movie critics who are giving this film a really bad name. Yes this has got racist and obese jokes but seriously get a sense of humor. Or if you can look past it then i guarantee you'll have a really fun time watching this film. Comedy's that star Eddie Murphy in them are just too funny. Resputia was funny, Norbit was funny, Mr Wong was funny, the latimores were funny...EVERYTHING WAS FUNNY. The way Norbit tries to find ways to get away from Resputia and have a good time with Kate is hilarious.

This deserve not a 3/10 but maybe a 5/10 or a 6/10. Guys seriously please ignore what these other critics are saying because there wrecking the comedy of this movie. But please brace yourself for a jam packed time of ridiculous LAUGHTER!

redefining badness

Author: Roland E. Zwick (magneteach@aol.com) from United States
22 July 2007

For 102 mind-numbing minutes, "Norbit" plays like one long fat-person joke told over and over again in the vain hope that even if it wasn't funny the first time, it will somehow improve with the repetition.

Eddie Murphy continues the shtick he started with "The Nutty Professor" of playing numerous characters in various guises buried under tons of prosthetic makeup. In "Norbit," Murphy appears as three characters: Norbit, the nerdy orphan who's never learned to stand up for himself; Rasputia, the obese shrew who ropes Norbit into marrying her; and Mr. Wong, the owner of the orphanage, who raised Norbit after he was unceremoniously dropped off there by his parents one fateful night in the late 1960's. Norbit is all grown up now and living in a squeaky-clean, candy-colored, studio backlot small town inexplicably inhabited by both white-bread types straight out of Middle America and stripe-suited, Cadillac-driving street pimps fresh from the 'hood.

There's no point in denying Murphy's skill at mimicry and impersonation, since the evidence is there in spades for all to see in "The Nutty Professor." But then "The Nutty Professor" gave Murphy an actual, honest-to-God screenplay off of which he could build his routines. In the case of "Norbit," if the studio had spent even a tenth of the time and effort on coming up with a good script as it did on designing fat suits and CGI-enhanced prosthetics, this might have been a decent comedy. As it is, it's just loud, obnoxious and offensive and wastes the talents of Thandie Newton, Cuba Gooding Jr., Marlon Wayans and Eddie Griffin into the bargain. Of course, as co-writer of the screenplay, Murphy has really no one but himself to blame for his being trapped in this fiasco.

When the only source of humor is making fun of fat people, and when that one note is played over and over and over again to ever diminishing results, you know it's time to cash in your chips and move on. The problem for "Norbit" is that a bad joke remains a bad joke - no matter how many times you tell it.

Better than I expected!

Author: prerit_20 from United States
11 February 2007

When I first saw the trailer, I expected it would one of those movies with stupid humor but, I was wrong. I went in expecting this, and came out surprised. Eddie Murphy once again brings his amazing sense of humor to the theaters. Eddie also has amazing acting and good jokes. I highly recommend this movie. I wasn't bored one bit during this movie. If I could watch it again, I would. If you liked The Nutty Professor, you'll love this. Please do not judge this movie just because you may think the trailer is pretty stupid. Norbit was not a waste of money. When this movie comes out on DVD, I will be sure to buy it. I hope this comment helped you on your decision to watch this movie.

Too Funny

Author: nattiedred from United States
11 February 2007

I seriously liked this movie. It showed also that fat people can wear a bathing suit at the water park and do what skinny girl do as well no matter what. It showed that a skinny guy accepts a huge girl, as you can see in norbit, he saw as big at first and then they came to like each other somewhat. It is just humor, people are making big deals about the movie, but what about when he did the nutty professor, and so forth, how come no problems with that, I mean we have a Fat scientist in the lab and he got to a nice looking skinny girl, but there wasn't any parts in the movie stating that the nutty professor was toooooo fat and same thing with this movie, People need to get a grip and just relax it is only humor, We had Marlon in Little Man, no problems there right, and then we also had White chicks no problems there, so Black people need to chill out and relax, it is just a funny movie, nothing derogatory.

Hilarious,Great movie!

Author: kanish_8 from United States
10 February 2007

Hilarious.Non-stop laughs.Eddie Murphy has done it again.Norbit/Rasputia/Mr. Wong characters are very believable.If you are offended maybe you need to look in mirror and change you appearance.People with a great since of humor will only get the movie.The make-up artist did a great job on the Rasputia character her body looked so real, you would think that Eddie Murphy had a body double.I also loved Marlon Wayans character.He always brings it. My only problem with the movie was Cuba Gooding character was a bore,his role was too small. Thandie Newton is a great actor, I just don't see her going a comedy role.