IMDb > Norbit (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Norbit More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 27: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

"How You Doin?"

Author: gabrielle-witherspoon from United States
29 January 2007

This is a rather uneven comedy but it definitely has its funny moments. "How You Doin?" was Rasputia's (Norbit's dreadful, fat, psychotic wife) signature line throughout the movie. The movie really stretched the limits of believability because there was really no reason for Norbit to marry such a grotesque bully (except the possibility that he was afraid to say no).

This movie actually made me uncomfortable - even though I tried to "lighten up" and remember that it was just a silly comedy, I couldn't escape the fact that Eddie Murphy's character was totally abused by his wife physically, mentally and emotionally. His life was a living nightmare. I won't spoil it by telling you the outcome, but I kept thinking that by the end of the movie Norbit would have evolved into a more self-confident, and smartly dressed character. He was such a punkish victim throughout the movie that it was hard to remain sorry for him. He made you want to slap him (although he had his share of that already) and tell him to be a man and stand up for himself. It was hard to believe that a beautiful woman like Kate would be attracted to such a weak, sniveling coward no matter what he looked like - and Norbit was not attractive at all.

"Rasputia" was like an evil comic book villain - nobody could be that vile. She never seemed like a real individual just a fusion of shallow stereotypes.

Eddie Griffin is hilarious as an ex-pimp and his lines are the funniest thing about this movie.

Can Terry Crews play anything other than a hulking, sadistic thug? The only time he played against type was in the movie White Girls.

Cuba Gooding, Jr. was wasted in this movie as was Thandie Newton (although she hasn't shown much in the way of actual talent in any movie she's appeared. She is beautiful but that is about it). Neither part called for any particular acting or comedic ability. They were just foils for Eddie Murphy's character.

Clifton Powell is becoming a stereotype too. I thought he had possibilities when he played Morris Chestnut's father in The Brothers, but his roles have gone downhill since then.

This wasn't a good movie and as I stated, only had funny moments. I don't know why this movie was made because there was no real point to it - just a chance for Eddie Murphy to once again, play 2 or 3 characters.

One of the best Eddie Murphy movies ever!

Author: theturqmonster
22 August 2015

I've seen this movie a ton of times since its original release and at various ages. I first watched it as a kid and thought it was hilarious, and as a teenager it only seems funnier because now I understand more of the jokes. Everyone who I talk about this movie with agrees that it is non-stop funny. This movie will have you literally rolling on the floor laughing. Every time I see it I laugh myself to tears! I don't understand the movie's low rating, this movie should have at least a 6. I rate it 10/10 stars. Its one of the best Eddie Murphy movies I've ever seen, and I include Trading Places and Coming to America in that judgment. If you want to laugh HARD, watch this movie!

really 3.9 stars come on i enjoyed this movie

Author: aidan
26 April 2014

I might not have a good sense of humor but I laughed pretty much 75% of this film why a 3.9 I love this movie it makes me sad when I see that rating god damn critics why do you guys hate a lot of films sure there's a couple racial slurs here and there but to me its like watching "the nutty professor" no not the old one the Eddie Murphy. tell me why people didn't find this funny to me this is a enjoyable film critics can suck it you don't have fun watching movies you take it way too seriously so believe it or not I like if you don't you can watch scary movie 5 oh wait that movie sucked so you know what cry me a river

Hilarious, love it

Author: Brokensoulx from United Kingdom
30 September 2013

Hilarious film, watched it many times. One of my favourite comedies, deserves a higher rating, does appeal to a younger audience such as myself but a great laugh, enjoyed watching it with the family. Brilliant film, typical of Eddie Murphy movie but probably the best and funniest of all his comedies. Hilarious lovable characters. Makeup was brilliant wouldn't even recognise some of the characters as Eddie. Deserves higher than a 3.7 by far, have seen much worse unfunny movies, this one had me in stitches. Makeup artists did a fantastic job. I think it may have been advertised for the wrong audience but as a young student I loved it and my family and friends did too.

The Whole Theater Was LOL! Watching it on DVD was great too!

Author: SFHStiger22 from United States
22 June 2007

I don't know why people are hating on this movie so much! Some people think that the movie was too racist or based on untrue stereotypes. I don't think so. I personally do not link big black ladies to being big black horrible ladies- no, if anything big black ladies are like everybody's moms. Sweet, loving and willing to give it to you straight. Anything else that might be considered offensive/ racist/stereotypical is seen that way because people are afraid to laugh at something that may not seem politically correct when in reality they probably laugh their butts off behind closed doors.

I thought it was awesome! It had me laughing through out the whole thing and when the movie was over, my stomach had gotten a good work out. Murphy and the rest of the Norbit crew did a very good job at entertaining and that is what the entertainment business is really about isn't it?

Not as bad as everyone says

Author: mariam215 from United States
28 March 2008

OK so it's not the BEST comedy out there. I just didn't think it was "the worst movie of the year." My kids and I laugh our butts off every time this movie comes on. Is it cliché? yes..could some people get offended? sure...but like I always say...if you're offended it's your opinion. Then don't watch it and don't suggest it to anyone. Otherwise, chill's a MOVIE. I think it's funny.. and I giggle every time Rasputia says "How ya doin!?" Are your children going to learn any life lessons from it? No. The worst movie this year? Not hardly. I think Eddie Murphy is funny... he can read the phone book and probably make me laugh. So if you need a silly giggle in your day, watch this movie. If you don't have an easy sense of humor and want your intellect to be challenged.. don't.

Great movie

Author: darkthunder84 from Sweden
16 February 2007

I've seen this movie, and it's a really funny movie. Eddie Murphy at the top of his game. Reminds you of the good old days with Coming to America, and Nutty Professor. If you like Eddie Murphy, then this movie is a "must see". Besides Eddie Murphy, a lot of well known actors are in this movie. Among others Cuba Gooding Jr, and Eddie Griffin. With the Oscars coming up so soon, I think it's sad that the Motion Pictures Academy doesn't award Oscars to comedies. This one would definitely be a nominee for such an award. I look forward to seeing if Eddie Murphy wins the award for his role in Dreamgirls. He deserves to get an Oscar after so many years of acting with no awards, and so many great movies.

Author: kiacheri from United States
18 February 2007

I guess for some, this movie was full of stereotypes and tasteless comedy. I must say this movie was hilarious. I LOVE comedies. I laughed from beginning to end. It was a comedy/romantic film. I disagree with it making fun of obese people. The character Rasputia was confident, secure, and strong. Would it have mattered if she was smaller? Even in these days, Obese women on the screen are not portrayed as beautiful and confident women who feel sexy inside and out. At least the character of Rasputia attempted to do so, and I think Murphy did a pretty good job becoming this great woman (Rasputia). Some may be offended, due to the boldness of Murphy, taken on this character, but I give him a Kudos!

Norbit is about an orphan who is compelled to marry a woman whom he later regrets marrying.

Author: luvaboy1107 from Canada
9 February 2007

Hilarious Movie. i haven't laughed that hard in a while. The jokes are amazing and so are the cast. Eddie Murphy's best comedy thus far. Some of my favorite scenes.. Norbits wedding reception, Rasputia's water slide ride, n much more. orbit is about an orphan who gets married to a big chunky woman and later regrets it. Later he falls in love with his old time friend. The comedy in this movie is outstanding. I think this movie was much better than Nutty Professor. Thandie Newton looked sexy as hell in the movie. The movie had me laughing from the start to finish. Definitely worth watching twice and purchasing on DVD. I can't wait for the DVD to come out so i can catch the special features and blooper real.

Another Easy-Viewing American Comedy with good jokes!!!

Author: Rafael Carvajal ( from Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
10 February 2007

This is just another Hollywood paced American Kind-of-Romantic/Moral comedy; Hollywood is always trying to end with a "good underlying message" (I don't know if they found it profitable or what?). This time they added some twists to the storyline, and an above average performance by Mr. Eddy Murphy, which I consider has been underestimated as a comedian.

Lots of decent and good jokes, funny situations, a cast full of well-known people with notable incursions; The director switched from one hilarious situation to the other with proper timing, avoiding long rhythmical slow downs, keeping the attention of the audition along the whole playtime.

If you like comedies, the kind that makes fun out of disgusting situations, and if you like Eddy Murphy, especially when he's playing more than one character (gosh!!!! he's definitely good on that), this is a movie you would like to see.