IMDb > Norbit (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Norbit

Norbit More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 27: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Well *I* really like this movie anyway ... ;-)

Author: sb-29 from Somewhere International
9 November 2009

I'm not sure how to put this... I've seen this movie maybe 4 or 5 times and it never gets old for me. Sure its certainly not politically correct but the timing and Eddie Murphy's numerous outstanding performances are just amazing. Probably some of his best performances ever.

I'll continue to watch this movie when I need something totally mindless to give me some quick laughs.

Marlon Wayans' tap dance instructor is also a hilarious performance and Thandie Newton is as hot as ever.

I'm not sure why there is a minimum length for comments of 10 lines on IMDb. Seems a bit pointless :-)

hilarious - ha ha ha

Author: jessiallan from United Kingdom
21 January 2009

well, all i will say is I laughed and laughed and laughed (a lot!!) don't expect Shakespeare - expect pure silliness; and yes, it is VERY unpolitically correct - full of "fat" jokes; but it is a FUNNY FILM!! Mr. Wong is probably my favourite character - this is Eddie Murphy at his best.

worth watching if you want a good laugh at a completely silly film - low expectations all the way!! I also loved "Hot Rod" - which is a completely silly film (some people consider these types of film are rubbish...) but I say they are thoroughly entertaining.

when you have watched a load of serious films, something like Norbit is very refreshing for a breath of fresh air - give it a try... just don't take it seriously.

Big Pleasant Surprise

Author: johnmallard0 from United States
12 February 2007

Before I was convinced to spend my money going to see Norbit I was not at all thrilled with the idea of seeing another black man play a big fat black woman. Just so you know I put in the black because with it comes the black stereotypes typical of this kind of movie. The joke has been done and redone and I just couldn't see how they could make it original and funny. Eddie Murphy was a hoot from start to finish in this movie. I was, as well as everyone in the theater busting a gut seeing Eddie play Rasputia, Norbit and the Chinaman Mr. Wong. Even though I still feel it had all been done before Eddie Murphy did achieve making a fresh and very funny approach to it. I'm glad I was talked into parting with my bucks to see Norbit. Eddie Murphy should be proud of this fine comic performance that will thrill his fans. The love story is sweet so take your sweetie to see this one.

Don't listen to critics.....

Author: Luna-tic from United States
12 February 2007

or the political correct faction in this country. This movie is not Big Momma's House....it is actually funny.

In my opinion Eddie Murphy's best film. My local newspaper gave this movie an F. Right next to it, an article.....well Norbt destroy Murphy's Oscar chances. What a freakin joke! Did you guys enjoy Coming to America? Look if you liked the Nutty Professor movies this movie was A LOT BETTER.

I am so upset with movie critics. Seriously have you ever seen a movie get that bad????? Epic Movie did not even get a rating that low.

We live in a PC society. Good forbid we have a movie with a Fat Black chick in it. Good forbid we make a fat black chick look bad. Funny how in the Nutty Professor it was OK to make a movie about a Fat Black Guy. No buddy really screamed when Mike Myers was Fat Bastard in the Austin Powers movies........and believe me the depiction of Fat Bastard was a lot worse than Rasputa was in this movie.

This movie was flat out hilarious. And it was a very cute and touching movie too. I can tell you what is getting these negative reviews. Eddie Murphy plays a Dark Fat Black women. Eddie Murphy plays a nerdy sympathetic black guy....Norbit. Norbit prefers the Skinny Light Black women. That is it....that is why this movie is getting scorned.

If you can get past that and say I can live with that.....then go see the movie. Honestly it is the funniest movie I have seen a LONG LONG TIME!

Crude but funny, 'Norbit' better than expected

Author: Gregory Eichelberger from San Diego
6 February 2007

How many motion pictures can one see where Oscar nominee (and odds-on favorite) Eddie Murpy gets to make love to himself? Well, in another example of the former SNL star's propensity to play multiple roles (see "Coming To America"), here comes the Columbia release of "Norbit," in which not only does Murphy bend the gender; he snaps it in half.

Okay, I didn't go into the theater expecting Shakespeare, so one cannot judge the newest Eddie Murphy film (co-written by him and his bro, Charlie - of the "Dave Chappelle Show" - and directed by Brian Robbins - "The Perfect Score," "The Shaggy Dog") by those standards.

In fact, the only thing I can judge a movie like this by is whether or not it made me laugh. If I laugh enough, a comedy has done its job. There's nothing really deep or psychological about it.

In this case, "Norbit," the story of a skinny, sad-sack loser (Murphy) who loses his true love at the age of seven and is "captured" by a fat, foul-mouthed, spoiled girl monster, Rasputia (Murphy, in a dual role performance not seen since "The Patty Duke Show"), made me giggle enough to give this film a thumbs up.

Not an enthusiastic one, of course, since there's is a lot of misogyny going on, and the message one could get is that fat, unattractive people are evil; while thin, good-looking people are the only ones who deserve love and happiness ...

For example, his object of desire is Kate (Thandie Newton, coming off dramatic turns in "Crash" and "Pursuit of Happiness"), who is extremely fair of face, but has a body like a Death Camp survivor.

I can forgive those obvious flaws, however, because I did laugh; not so much at Norbit (he was so spineless and goofy, I found it difficult to feet sorry for him after a while, plus his accent reminded me of Damen Wayans as the "Handy Man" character in "In Living Color"), or Rasputia (yeah, she was fat and all, but there was an unnecessary evil attached to her character - she beats her husband, she tries to run over a dog and throws an old lady through a window).

She is also depicted eating a lot of food, you see because she's fat and it's funny to see a fat person eat a lot of food. Right?

Most of he amusement came from the supporting characters, mainly Murphy's Mr. Wong (who, along with his old Jewish guy in "America" proves he does a pretty good crusty white guy); Pope Sweet Jesus (Eddie Griffin, so bad in the "Deuce Bigalow" films, but hilarious here as a low rent pimp and rib shack owner) and his companion, Lord Have Mercy (Kat Taylor - "Epic Movie" - who looks like a cross between Prince and Snoop Dog); and Buster (Marlon Wayans), the bi-sexual local hip-hop Afro-funk dance instructor.

Simple plot has Norbit being trapped in a loveless (and painful) marriage because he's afraid to say no to her and her three psychotic gangster brothers (Terry Crews, Clifton Powell and Lester Speight). When his childhood sweetheart, Kate, returns with her boyfriend (Oscar winner Cuba Godding, Jr.) with plans to buy an orphanage, Norbit schemes to spend time with her.

Later, he is played for a foil and the orphanage is in danger of being turned into a strip club. Of course, complications arise and things turn ugly. Will it all work out? How many romantic comedies have you seen in your life?

Still, on the Laugh-Meter, you have to give this one its props. Funniest scenes include Norbit's profanity-ridden puppet show; Pope and Lord's interruption of the wedding and the water park sequence.

Nowhere near a perfect film, but enough yucks in its one hour, 45-miunte running time to temporarily take one's mind off Iraq, global warming, high energy costs, the freezing Midwest, terrorism, the Chicago Bears, the presidential primaries, the bird flu, etc., etc., etc.

A Decent, Funny Movie

Author: lovefurypassionenergy13 from United States
10 February 2007

I saw this movie, kind of reluctantly, with my dad and brother, but I had a smile on my face throughout the whole movie. I know that obesity isn't funny, but this is a movie people! If you know that the movie has an overweight woman in it, then go expecting them to make jokes about her, since it is a comedy. There were many funny parts in this movie, not all were fat jokes, and I thought it had a decent plot. Also, during most of the movie you aren't laughing at the overweight woman, you are laughing at things she says and things that she does. I think that Eddi Murphy was a comic genius in this, and I definitely would suggest this movie if you want to have a night of fun.

Provides Some Laughs, But Creates Some Problems

Author: D_Burke from United States
11 February 2007

First of all, I must say that after seeing a lot of bad movies this past year starring traditionally top grossing comedians (Jim Carrey, Adam Sandler), I thought Eddie Murphy would follow the same route here. However, there were some parts of this movie that I laughed out loud to, and the comic tone was kept the same all throughout the movie. In other words, the movie didn't suddenly switch from very funny to very sad, like other movies did (i.e. Click, which was the most disappointing movie I have EVER seen).

Probably the best thing about this movie was Eddie Murphy playing multiple characters. Just like in "Coming To America" and both "Nutty Professor" movies, Murphy proves himself to be the black Peter Sellers with a great make-up team. I'm willing to bet that next year, just like with the first Nutty Professor movie, this movie will receive an Oscar nomination for best make-up.

With that said, the biggest problem I had with this movie was the character of Rasputia. Rasputia is obviously a cartoonish figure who literally embodies all seven deadly sins, and she's a character you're supposed to hate. She's mean to Norbit, lazy, selfish, and demeaning. But as I was watching this movie, I thought to myself, "Is this movie making you hate Rasputia because she's mean, or because she's fat?" Or, is this movie saying that all fat people are generally mean? If the movie doesn't come out and say it, the movie certainly implies the idea. As I was watching it, Rasputia certainly reminded of one of the Klumps from the Nutty Professor movies, and, around the time both Nutty Professor movies came out, there were Fat Acceptance groups coming out and saying those movies were offensive; that they stereotyped fat people. However, to the Nutty Professor's credit, Sherman Klump was portrayed as very smart, lovable, and redeemable character, as opposed to his alter ego Buddy Love. If these Fat Acceptance Societies wish to file a complaint about negative stereotypes, this is the movie to complain about.

Fat people in movies has been a controversial subject for years, especially during the 1990's and this decade. There was the case of Ursula the Sea Witch from "The Little Mermaid". However, to Disney's credit, Ursula remains Disney's only overweight villain. There's also the case of other actors dawning fat suits, such as Julia Roberts (in "America's Sweethearts"), Martin Short (in TV's "Primetime Glick", and "Jiminy Glick In La La Wood"), and Gwenneth Paltrow (in "Shallow Hal"). But despite the controversy surrounding these actors' roles, their fat suit-wearing roles weren't intended to upset anyone or negatively stereotype a group of people.

In conclusion, my advice would be to take the character of Rasputia with a grain of salt. The movie itself is very funny, but the character of Rasputia can be (and probably is) very offensive to a large group of people. I think the movie would have been just as funny, perhaps even funnier, if Rasputia didn't happen to be fat. I could be wrong, though.

Not his best, but not his worst either

Author: maestro-20 from Pittsburgh, PA
13 February 2007

Yes, the movie is racist and politically incorrect, but you know what? I think many people are offended because they miss the point. Brian Robbins and Eddie Murphy would be stupid to make a racist movie -- instead, they are making fun of it. Anyone who has seen a South Park episode would understand "satire" instead of calling it racist, homophobic, or whatever. I think that's what Eddie Murphy was trying to do here -- to poke fun at our own prejudices.

As a film, Norbit only succeeds halfway. It has some hilarious moments, but the film is unfocused and inconsistent. The script is bad, but I guess if you're used to comedies like Epic Movies, you'll be okay with bad comedy scripts. The stereotypes are so blatant and obvious that they are funny. When Mr. Wong (Murphy) said, "Of course I am racist!" he had a point. In a way, we are all prejudiced; we just don't want to admit to it.

Judging from the reaction of a packed theater on a Sunday night (blacks, whites, Asians, men, women, thin people, overweight people), I think people can have a good time with this one if they put aside their political correctness. It's just another crude, raunchy, silly comedy. And Eddie Murphy is funny as hell.

"How You Doin?"

Author: gabrielle-witherspoon from United States
29 January 2007

This is a rather uneven comedy but it definitely has its funny moments. "How You Doin?" was Rasputia's (Norbit's dreadful, fat, psychotic wife) signature line throughout the movie. The movie really stretched the limits of believability because there was really no reason for Norbit to marry such a grotesque bully (except the possibility that he was afraid to say no).

This movie actually made me uncomfortable - even though I tried to "lighten up" and remember that it was just a silly comedy, I couldn't escape the fact that Eddie Murphy's character was totally abused by his wife physically, mentally and emotionally. His life was a living nightmare. I won't spoil it by telling you the outcome, but I kept thinking that by the end of the movie Norbit would have evolved into a more self-confident, and smartly dressed character. He was such a punkish victim throughout the movie that it was hard to remain sorry for him. He made you want to slap him (although he had his share of that already) and tell him to be a man and stand up for himself. It was hard to believe that a beautiful woman like Kate would be attracted to such a weak, sniveling coward no matter what he looked like - and Norbit was not attractive at all.

"Rasputia" was like an evil comic book villain - nobody could be that vile. She never seemed like a real individual just a fusion of shallow stereotypes.

Eddie Griffin is hilarious as an ex-pimp and his lines are the funniest thing about this movie.

Can Terry Crews play anything other than a hulking, sadistic thug? The only time he played against type was in the movie White Girls.

Cuba Gooding, Jr. was wasted in this movie as was Thandie Newton (although she hasn't shown much in the way of actual talent in any movie she's appeared. She is beautiful but that is about it). Neither part called for any particular acting or comedic ability. They were just foils for Eddie Murphy's character.

Clifton Powell is becoming a stereotype too. I thought he had possibilities when he played Morris Chestnut's father in The Brothers, but his roles have gone downhill since then.

This wasn't a good movie and as I stated, only had funny moments. I don't know why this movie was made because there was no real point to it - just a chance for Eddie Murphy to once again, play 2 or 3 characters.

Tagline runs true... have you ever made a really big mistake?

Author: gdahl4 from United States
9 February 2007

Walking into the movie one must admit they aren't expecting the same comedic genius as a Mel Brook's film, but perhaps that was the main draw of "Norbit" in the first place. Personally, I walked in expecting a ridiculously vile and obscenely immature show of comedy. I walked away seeing a lackluster prequel to Dr. Dolittle and The Nutty Proffesor combined. It would be honestly hard to say anything in this film is worth seeing, aside from the few momentary chuckles provided by Eddie Griffin and Katt Williams as stereotypical pimps (a consistently typecast role both have fallen into).

As it can be best surmised, Eddy Murphy has inadvertently passed the torch, from his hysterically funny prime in stand up comedy (see: Eddy Murphy - RAW) and the Beverly Hills Cops franchise, to the mainstream Hollywood "everything is predictable" yawn-fest which is NORBIT. The script is nothing more than the recycled remains of every romantic comedy stir fried with an inexcusable amount of fat jokes and simmered over an unbelievably whipped pathetic excuse for a main character by the utterly incomprehensible name of Norbit.

Simply stated, if you are over the age of 10, you will not enjoy a single second of this movie. If you want to see a funny fat movie with Eddy Murphy rent The Nutty Professor and save yourself two laugh less hours of gaggingly pathetic fat jokes and continuity errors. It seems Norbit is one big joke, oddly enough however, no one is laughing.