IMDb > Norbit (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Norbit More at IMDbPro »

Page 17 of 27: [Prev][12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [Next]

Well, I DID laugh some....

Author: S.R. Dipaling from Topeka, Kansas, USA
4 April 2008

...but this was HARDLY a noteworthy film for anyone involved,save maybe makeup master Rick Baker.

Eddie Murphy does as he has done quite a bit dating back to "Coming to America",playing three different roles,including the title character,a basically sweet,good-natured doormat who makes the mistake of going with and eventually marrying the obese girl who protected him on the school playground. His true love, a veritable angel of a girl named Kate(Thandie Newton),then one day re-appears in his life, thus creating the predictable complications.

Much was made over the ethnic stereotypes that are put on display here--besides the cartoonish,subject-of-jokes fat black lady that is Norbit's girlfriend/wife Rasputia--and there's certainly grounds to feel that Murphy and his brother(longtime collaborator and former "Chappelle Show" partner-in-crime Charles Q.Murphy) conceived and co-wrote a fairly insulting,gleefully politically incorrect script and story here. Also,the way the story plays out suggests a script that could've used a some tightening. But there is JUST enough here to--at least in my humble opinion--be funny and entertaining. The supporting cast, save Eddie Griffin and KAtt Williams as well-meaning pimps(!),seem to be there mainly as foils or plot support. This is pretty much exclusively Eddie Murphy's movie(big surprise)and as such,his florid talent,added to the great make-up by BAker(as mentioned earlier),are pretty much the entirety of what holds this movie up.

Author: jimmiehack from United States
31 March 2008

Just when you think Eddie Murphy can't make a worse movie, he does it yet again. When will he learn that he's way past his prime? Might as well finish up the Beverly Hills Cop sequel and end on a good note. His career is over. It's really sad because he was once one of the funniest men on the planet.

This movie is filled with one fat joke after another and it is very degrading to larger women. There are several drug and prostitution references. Thandie Newton was great in this movie, but I had to stop watching it after about an hour into it. This movie is so bad that it was hard to even come up with enough words to write a review for it. Don't waste your time.

Offensive to Overweight African-American Women

Author: ladycretia from United States
19 March 2008

As an African-American woman who is overweight I found this film to be very offensive. This film was recommended to me by a coworker. I hadn't heard of it before but was pretty shocked to find that the character Rasputia looked just like me and was played as a joke. Stereotyping a large black woman like myself as a screaming, vicious monster. I felt pretty saddened and angry after watching this, especially knowing that my coworker had probably recommended it to me as an insult because of the resemblance between me and the main character. There are a lot of large black women out there who are not like Rasputia. We are nice decent people who deserve respect, not to be made fun of in movies such as this.

Missed the mark.

Author: lambiepie-2 from Los Angeles, CA
22 January 2008

The synopsis of Norbit reads: "A mild-mannered guy who is engaged to a monstrous woman meets the woman of his dreams, and schemes to find a way to be with her." That's not really a problem - actually it could be funny. But this wasn't all funny - a few chuckles, if that.

I find fault in the development and casting of the characters and script. I would have loved Eddie as Rasputa only. And then Rasputa should have had as a husband - someone else. Her brother should have been Kat Williams, and he should have had an hired entourage as his "hit men".

Then there is Kate...well...another actress should have stepped in altogether, this was not the role for the lovely Thandie Newton. And Norbit...not Eddie Murphy - another comedic actor. Kate and Norbit needed that 'very cute' chemistry against Eddie's Rasputa who would have stole every scene. The funny thing is: I thought Cuba Gooding Jr. as the two timing player was the best casting out of the bunch.

And the script...Rasputa could have been as scheming and dirty-dealing as anyone...and funny...even with the extra girth, this character did not have to be obnoxious to be noticed or funny. So much more could have been done instead of the trash-can "vulger" route - there was so much rich comedic talent in this film...everyone was wasted.

Let's Compare this to all the others..

Author: longislandlloyd from United States
1 September 2007

I've read nearly all the reviews here on Norbit. Each one is more negative than the next. And each one insults anyone who found the movie humorous or entertaining. But these elitist reviewers have not taken into account that many people are tired of all the senseless violence, bloodshed, car chases, political statements, drug use, homosexuality and complete negativity that Hollywood movies all seem to promote these days. While Norbit is a very flawed film and one that has juvenile fat jokes, racial stereotypes, cock-eyed characters, and scenes that we've all seen too many times before in Murphy is harmless and it is funny. And for once, I didn't get sick from all the bloodshed or angry with our political leaders or our capitalistic society. Not all movies have to make a statement or put you on the edge of your seat. There are times when you just want to have a few laughs..even if that means laughing at Blacks, Chinese, fat people, pimps, or anybody else that YOU would say it's NOT correct to laugh at.

SO I applaud Eddie Murphy and his attempt at low based slapstick entertainment. He's a well needed break from the current crop of Hollywood "geniuses" like Mel Gibson and Michael Moore.

To laugh at the others is paying

Author: vincentga from New York
18 August 2007

I give 0/10 for this film of sh** based only on the physical aspect of people. As the majority of human are malicious, they like to laugh at the physical aspect of the others. Showing their high degree of intelligence.

I imagine Murphy to walk in the street and to laugh at of fat, the dwarfs, ugly, etc. And statement which he is millionaire thanks to that.

If Murphy is a humorist well I am the pope.

If you like to laugh at the physical aspect of the others you go adored this film of sh**.

Otherwise flee this waste.

Murphy is really a Big Star. A superficial person...

Boring and Stupid

Author: Duffle from TX
11 August 2007

A friend of mine told me to rent Norbit, and now that I've seen it, I'd like to slap her silly. This movie is just flat unfunny. I almost turned it off several times.

I've read several comments here from people saying they're deeply offended by Murphy's humor. I'm not easily offended, so I'm able to see past quite a bit of the fat jokes, racial jokes and other gags in this film. Sometimes politically incorrect humor can be some of the funniest stuff, if it's done well. Problem is, this movie is not done well at all. I'm not mad because the movie was somehow offensive, I'm mad because I can't believe I sat through this movie and didn't laugh once.

Others say "lighten up", it's just a comedy, so don't take it seriously. The problem here is, this is not a comedy. It's a stink bomb posing as a comedy. Again, it's just not funny. Whoever you people are who wrote that you couldn't stop laughing, you really need to get out more often.

What the hell has happened to Eddie Murphy? How can someone who used to be so funny fall this far?

What Has Happened To Our Eddie?

Author: native_girl333 from Finland
2 August 2007

"Norbit" is yet another film which enables Eddie Murphy to duplicate himself through multiple characters (Norbit, Rasputia and Mr.Wong). With a poor success.

"Norbit" tells a story of Norbit who is orphan. He finds just one true friend in Kate but unfortunately Kate is adopted from the orphanage. Poor Norbit meets Rasputia who protects Norbit from his bullies with her use of force. Norbit ends up marrying mean Rasputia who becomes more meaner and a lot heavier in time... Then suddenly Kate returns to town... But how geeky Norbit could get rid of a tyrannic wife? The film is partly funny, Eddie Murphy is in his own field but the jokes are old and sometimes the film-makers jump over the shark way too far. After an hour Rasputia becomes so irritable that I was considering to quit watching the film. The angry big black woman thing has it own funny features but when it continues to roll with very poor story it is excruciating to watch. Eddie Murphy is a funny comedian but it is sad to see that his star is starting to fade. He should get more roles like Jimmy Thunder in "Dreamgirls". Even sadder is the fact that Eddie has made the script together with his older brother Charles Q.

If you want to see some good comedy rent something else than "Norbit". It is not worth to be paid for.

Very Disappointing

Author: FilmFanInTheHouse from Berkshire, England
22 July 2007

Norbit (2007, Dir. Brian Robbins)

Norbit is a normal person, who after being adopted by Mr. Wong, ends up being married to the very large, Rasputia. Norbit's childhood love, Kate Thomas arrives back in town to buy the orphanage. Norbit sees this as his chance to get back together with Kate, until he discovers that she is in fact engaged to Deion Hughes. Norbit isn't going to lay this to rest, whilst he tries to survive life with Rasputia, and it looks like Deion also has something he would like to keep secret.

When i saw the trailer for 'Norbit' originally in the cinema, i thought i looked quite entertaining. Unfortunately, i found myself laughing at the trailer more than i did for the actual film. I found the jokes very dull and very few, with the laughs more focused on physical comedy rather than smart jokes. There also seemed to be too many references to breasts and 'tit' said often. I don't want to sound as if i hate this kind of language, but i just felt that was too much. The costumes were good though and well made, so i should give credit to that. The story was definitely not original and was actually quite slow. Even the chase after Norbit and the fight with Rasputia was very dull. Overally, Norbit was very disappointing as a comedy film.

"Did you say a tittybar?" - Deion Hughes (Cuba Gooding Jr.)

Eddie Murphy in three roles, a pretty poor movie.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
20 July 2007

I suppose there are fans of this type of movie, but I am NOT one of them. I have enjoyed many Eddie Murphy movies over the years, even some of his silly ones, but this one is way too silly, and too gross, to be any fun.

I am not out much, just a bit of time. I got it as a free borrow from my public library.

Eddie Murphy plays three roles. First he is shy Norbit, with a lisp, basically a pretty good guy. As a kid growing up he becomes the property of rather large Rasputia, and who he marries as an adult. Rasputia is also played by Murphy.

Rasputia is mean, selfish, and unfaithful. But Norbit is afraid of her. In time he meets Thandie Newton as Kate Thomas and the rest of the movie is his pursuit of a relationship with Kate, and getting away from Rasputia.