IMDb > Norbit (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Norbit

Norbit More at IMDbPro »

Page 13 of 27: [Prev][8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [Next]

Why the Oscar Eluded Eddie Murphy

Author: puffball97 from United States
26 August 2007

Fresh from his promising turn from "Dreamgirls," Eddie Murphy, after so many years of unfunny bad movies, proved that he could be a dramatic actor and could very well have a much wider range of acting roles than his subsequent bomb, "Norbit." We thought we could count on Murphy coming a long, long way and start a brand new acting life from a buffoon to a real actor.

But no. Weeks before Oscartime, and before Alan Arkin snatched away that trophy from Murphy, came "Norbit," a vulgar, crass, mean-spirited would-be-comedy. Yes, Murphy sure gets to have range here, in three count-'em roles, where his face is unrecognizable in each role. He plays the title loser who never gets any breaks in life; Rasputia (Murphy overacts and acts up the part in the obvious fatsuit), the foul, enormously obese wife of Norbit bent on making her husband's life miserable; and the most unrecognizable role of role, Mr. Wong, the headmaster of the orphanage where he raised Norbit and his sweet-tempered childhood sweetheart Kate (Thandie Newton, in a thankless role). Only with the title character do we hear his real voice.

There are no decent laughs. How funny is it to have your real father throw you as a baby out of the car onto the gutter where the orphanage is? Luckily Mr. Wong raises Baby Norbit as his own. Five minutes after into the movie, we see young Rasputia (played by a real child actress) beating up kids who beat up 9-year-old Norbit. Then we see that Rasputia and that Norbit at the dinner table with Rasputia's three pimplike brothers who all through the movie look like 1970's blaxploitation characters (listen to the '70's soul music playing in the background that seem to come from "Shaft" or "Superfly"). In the 1980s, Rasputia and Norbit marry, and we get to hear Rick James music. And from then on, everything goes downhill for Norbit. Rasputia beats up Norbit and her three brothers also abuse him. Rasputia yells, screams, cries, cusses, and with all that, Murphy appears to make Rasputia the star of the movie, upstaging Norbit. Therefore, the movie should have been titled "Rasputia" and for sure with such an exaggeratedly misbehaved character, who would want to waste their precious time and money seeing that?

Now we go into the the present day. The adult Kate meets Norbit and Norbit wants desperately to go back to her. They drifted apart as kids because Kate was adopted first. It is easy to see Kate as a contrasting foil to Rasputia because Kate is calm, low-key, thin, and well-mannered. But the character of Kate doesn't get funny material to go with that goody-goody personality. However, Kate is engaged to the double-dealing Deion (Cuba Gooding, Jr., an Academy Award Winner who obviously wants a paycheck and acts like "What the Hell am I doing here?"). Kate and Deion are about to marry, but Norbit reveals Dion's crimes (while Kate wants to buy the orphanage from Mr. Wong to make it into a better place, Deion, along with Rasputia's brothers want to turn it into a strip club), so Kate breaks off with Deion, and eventually marries Norbit, Norbit finally leaves behind Rasputia, who gets an arrow in her rear end by a witness, causing her to scream her head off.

There is no real message to this junk. All there is nastiness. Murphy abuses fat people saying they are loud and nasty, makes skinny women with sweet and soft temperaments wholesome but boring, makes the men either pimplike or pushovers. He even mistreats animals in a scene where Rasputia runs over a dog, causing it to lose its legs, but the dog speaks and says "Kill the B----!" In real life, Murphy is no saint. He divorced Nicole Mitchell, the mother to their five children, and had an affair with Spice Girl Melanie Brown and passed the paternity test, making him the father of her child. And Murphy abuses himself where his own two characters Rasputia and Norbit hurt and insult each other. You may have only a laugh or two, but you may find yourself laughing in ridicule at Rasputia, which I did.

I burned the DVD to try to erase this from my memory!

Author: steveo98366 from United States
3 August 2007

Unbelievably awful movie. There was not one funny moment in this "comedy". Most of the reviews here point out the offensive nature of the jokes (something which doesn't bother me necessarily), but the most offensive thing about them is that they just aren't funny.

Eddie Murphy was one of my all-time favorite comedians, it's a shame that his writing abilities have devolved to this point. It doesn't surprise me to see some other big names in this production either. Cuba Gooding Jr. should stick to playing in Michael Jordan's underwear rather than contributing to garbage like this.

Marlon Wayans suits the role he played here, so no comments there...

I'm no writer, nor a comedian, but I could produce a funnier script than this. Where has the talent gone?

Save your money, and don't watch this movie in any format...

Ugh...

Author: killoa2002 from Ireland
16 July 2007

I rented this movie hoping for a laugh. I thought this would be funny and maybe good entertainment. I was highly disappointed. Eddie Murphy usually always delivers high class comedy but this was just a like a "nutty professor" spin off. Again, Murphy in more latex, a voice for Rasputia that sounds highly like Mrs. Klump from nutty professor.The story wasn't very well structured and in one scene you can even see the fat suit separate from the actual skin.The only good thing about this is that is has a cry baby dork that is only microscopically funny. Don't get this if you want comedy, but if you want a bad movie, this is for you!

God awful

Author: Spacetree from United States
12 June 2007

It's surprising that a movie with so much comedic talent could make me laugh so little. Or maybe it isn't and I'm overestimating Eddie Murphy. In any case, this movie made me laugh about three times: all of them from Eddie Griffin's and Katt Williams's lines. And this was at the END of the movie during the church scene. It took the entire movie to get to the humor. The rest is just badly constructed plot and fat jokes. But the worst part? Rasputia's catch-phrase. Why would she have a catch-phrase? It's like giving Jar Jar Binks a catchphrase; nobody's gonna quote cinema's greatest reject, and nobody's gonna quote this. Don't waste your time with this mess.

I expected a lot more

Author: view_and_review from California
12 June 2007

I must admit that I'm a bit disappointed in Eddie Murphy. OK... I'm a lot disappointed in Eddie Murphy. I still hold Eddie Murphy as one of the funniest comedians of all time, and still one of the most talented guys on screen, but this just fell flat. Eddie is incredibly talented, and his ability to do different characters is phenomenal, but this script just didn't work. Besides Mr. Wong, none of the other characters were funny. I expected some serious gut-busting laughs ala "The Nutty Professor" or even "Coming to America", but the lines and the physical humor just didn't do anything. Besides being an eye sore and morbidly obese, Rasputia was horribly unfunny. I expected more from everyone. Marlon Wayans, Eddie Griffin, Catt Williams, Terry Crews, etc. I've seen them all in other projects and found them a riot, whereas in this movie they were not amusing. I don't blame them at all, they did the best they could with the script. This was just a good idea gone bad.

Funny as hell!

Author: dianejwright from LA
7 June 2007

Now that's what I'm talking' about. It's been so long since some real funny came along.

I truly can't believe one person can inhabit so many others so very realistically and that everyone else can keep a straight face while it's all going on. Brilliant, brilliant work. Marlon was tap-tastic. Eddie, pimp-a-rific. And don't get me started on those outfits and wigs!

Unfortunately, I think I've met each and every one of those characters. Real to the core, only better. Thank you all for making real entertainment again.

Laugh and laugh I did...from minute one until every last credit rolled. Do I gush too much? Bravo!

Really would like to get my 1.38 min back....

Author: mail-4192 from Sweden
27 May 2007

I'm sorry to say but this movie really really stinks. I gave it a chance all the way to the end. Never got good enough for me not to sign into IMDb and warn you all not to see it. I guess this is the type of movie you either really like or you really don't. I'll leave it up to you if you want to gamble and risk 1.38 minutes to see what type you are. And for some reason I have to fill 10 rows of text with why you I thought the movie was bad. Actually it is quite hard to put my finger on it. I do know that one thing that really pushed my buttons was the catch phrase Rasputia used all threw the movie. Talk about stealing one-liners. Everyone knows that it comes from Joey on Friends. Didn't work even if the whole idea was to borrow it and make it funny that a fat chick says it instead of Joey. Also sad to see a movie with quite good acting all and all not making it. Not sure how this movie got received in the US. But here in Sweden it left the big screen quite fast. But not has fast has directly to DVD. Just had to leave the big screens in the theater and into the small ones. You know which ones I mean. The ones that only fit like thirty people and you feel that you are home at you fiends house looking at there big screen TV. Any how, I've said what I came to say. See it if you have the extra time and no other option for the evening. Otherwise my tip is to go for any other option that this one.

Eddie Murphy on auto pilot.

Author: Merklin from United Kingdom
19 April 2007

For Eddie Murphy, Norbit marks a return to ruder, more cruder comedies.For the audience, its just a case of been there done that.To watch Norbit is to witness Eddie Murphy on auto pilot ,doing a collection of the sorts of things we've seen him do better in earlier films .Eddie in a fat suit? Saw him do it better in the nutty professor. Eddie playing multiple roles? Saw him do it better in coming to America. Eddie playing a bespecled ,good natured geek ? Saw him do it better in bowfinger.It all feels pretty tired and recycled.

But is it funny? Well there's a few laughs here and there, but thats not good enough. I mean come on, just look at who's in this : there's terry crewes,Charlie Murphy, katt Williams, Eddie griffin, Cuba gooding junior and marlon wayans.Add to that Brian Robbins , a director who knows how to handle comedy and you've got the contributing factors to a comedy that should be hilarious rather than ...okay.

As for rasputia, the big (no pun intended) talking point of the film, shes a disappointment.While Eddie Murphy and some great prosthetics make her seem convincingly tangible , all she is,is a physical manifestation of Murphy's "nagging wife" impression.Shes no way as interesting or funny as any member of the klump family Eddie Murphy previously played in the superior nutty proffesor

Norbit has its moments but disappointingly ,its no way as funny as it should be.

this is movie is amazing OK! i love this movie like crazy!!!

Author: Rajiv Walia from United States
18 February 2009

alright.. to begin with.. I have seen 95% of IMDb movies with a rating above 8. I have watched all English movies in IMDb top 250. having said that.. i make it clear that i do fit in the so called 'hollywood' culture... from loving 'no country for old men' to loving stalag 17....

OK..this movie norbit.. i watched the first time i dint like it.. i watched it again on HBO..now there was somethin about it.. just somethin i cant put in words.. damn.. i have watched this movie 100 times now!! the comedy is hilarious! HOW YOUU DOINGGGGGGGGG

man that humor.. drives me crazy!! a must watch for RASPUTTIA fans...

HOW YOU DOINGGGGGG

Good, solid movie.

Author: code78 from United States
31 March 2007

It is unbelievable why so many comments bash this movie. Murphy - again - is showing his versatility by playing three characters who could not be more different. The humour is at times crude but well worth a laugh, and you have to applaud Murphy for simply doing away with all this PC non-sense. Movies are art, and art does not need to be PC. And guess what - fat people who are not ill but chose to be fat, like that Rasputia character, *are* disgusting.

What really worries me though is that wannabe "comedies" which make you cringe with pain (think "Borat") get sky-high scores while this one gets bashed.

People, get a life.