IMDb > Norbit (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Norbit

Norbit More at IMDbPro »

Page 12 of 27: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [Next]

Eddie Murphy is the black Adam Sandler

Author: jamie-crump from United Kingdom
14 March 2012

Eddie Murphy is the black Adam Sandler, by this I mean that he is extremely unfunny and a terrible actor to boot. But somehow both these actors have gotten critical praise for the odd movie, it baffles and upsets me. In this film Eddie Murphy proved everything I have said above to be right, he played numerous characters and the result was hideous, imagine Danny Devito and a Baboon having sex, this is ten times better then Norbit. It is horrendously unfunny and terribly boring, I believe that the rating for Norbit on here is generous. Adam Sandler followed in the footsteps of Murphy by playing 2 characters in Jack and Jill recently with as much success as Murphy as far as I can tell. I am worried to see this movie as the results must be dreadful. In conclusion this movie is impossibly bad as I said it's worse then Danny Devito and a Baboon having sex, I urge everyone not to watch this movie as it might cause you to attempt suicide, as for Murphy he is awful and proves once again that he is the black Adam Sandler.

The writer obviously doesn't know where the line between funny stupid and stupid stupid

Author: WakenPayne from Valhalla
20 February 2012

Looking at the writing credits I am surprised that it wasn't just one guy, If this is the best that 4 writers can do altogether than I have absolutely no desire to see any other of their movies. I went into this movie expecting just stupid comedy - the end result was a stupid mess that just either made me cringe or say to myself "some producer funded this?!?!". I am ashamed to actually say that I've actually watched it. I have no idea what people see in Eddie Murphy, to think he can pull off the role of 3 very unlikeable characters is almost torture to sit through, the worst character being Rasputia it was just unbearable.

For backing up interpretations a previous reviewer said it was a bad "fat joke" where the fat woman is portrayed as a super-bitch yet when the thin girl from Norbit's childhood shows up she is a kind-hearted saint... So a subliminal message there is to actually judge people on appearances - Not going to happen. The movie was ####ing stupid in all known areas of writing. To say that Eddie Murphy got 3 of the 4 acting Razzies (including "Worst Supporting Actress") says a lot about the humour in this - granted I NEVER judge a movie based on awards but this time an award ceremony hits it right on the head here.

This movie overall was not an enjoyable experience as the tag line said "have you ever made a really big mistake?" I have - renting this, Bye

Everything about this movie was 'wong'

Author: LydiaBianca from United Kingdom
26 April 2011

Many viewers of this film were ranting and raving about how its one the funniest comedies they've ever seen, so I wanted to see if it really was as great as they were making out.

I have never felt so awkward when watching a film in my whole life. From start to finish, I never laughed once and it made me question the concept of a comedy.

Murphy, plays several characters (which he does in almost every film now) - Mr.Wong, Norbit and Norbit's girlfriend who later becomes his wife. This film is driven by cheap jokes, over the top rudeness and ridiculing everyone, which wasn't comical...just boring and offensive.

I felt that the way they treated the topic of bullying and children in care to be really insensitive and the movie angered and upset me, rather than entertained me. Never would I laugh at a baby being thrown out of a car..it was just revolting to watch.

In some ways I would say not to view this film because it was so bad. However, I feel that people need to see how tragic and down right disgraceful this film is. 1/10

Atrocious and pretty offensive

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
4 October 2010

I do like Eddie Murphy, and he has made some good films especially Beverley Hills Cop, 48 Hours, Shrek, Coming to America and Trading Places and Nutty Professor is better than it is made out to be. But then he made some horrible films as well, Norbit unfortunately scraping the bottom of the barrel. While not the best and most original story, I liked the idea for Norbit. So what ruined it? Eddie Murphy is good when given good material and doing numerous roles seemed great at first, it worked in The Nutty Professor. However, the characters he plays especially Rasputia are really clichéd and stereotypical. The film looks cheap too, and the direction does nothing to showcase Murphy's talents. The worst part were the jokes, none of them were funny, in fact some of them were pretty offensive especially the ones at the expense of Rasputia's obesity, and any film involving gags about oral sex, bikini-line waxing or plans of turning the orphanage into a titty bar makes me wonder why the certificate isn't higher. Thandie Newton looks beautiful and does try, but in the end it is yet another case of wasted talent. The only redeeming quality was the make-up, that was actually quite impressive, but with such a poor film with a script and jokes as diabolical as they are and stereotypes as long as your arm that seems like faint praise. Best avoided. 1/10 Bethany Cox

Unfunny prejudice to the nth power!

Author: karl_mercer from United Kingdom
20 January 2010

Unfortunately, these reviews need to be a minimum of ten lines, otherwise I would simply reference the two word review used in an actually funny movie, This is Spinal Tap.

That review would be

"Sh*t Sandwich"

Quite what Eddie Murphy was thinking I do not know, but this is terrible rubbish; with the 'humour' being based solely on racism, and fat jokes. I should point out I am a larger gentleman; but this in no way detracts from my sense of humour about it, I'm fat and that's funny to some - I accept it; and some movies treat the subject well. Shallow Hal has been mentioned, but there is also the Rhonda character in Road Trip...Yeah we all had a joke about her massive underwear but she was a sweet and actually quite pretty girl. However, according to this movie all people who don't conform to the stick thin Hollywood stereotype due to increased weight are, apparently, grotesque sea-monsters.

This just is not funny. If you find this funny, see your psychiatrist.

An insult to comedy!

Author: M H from Netherlands
21 December 2009

There are always movies that you never forget and stay in your mind. Mostly this is because movies are masterpieces and deserve to be remembered. Norbit is a movie that you don't forget because every time you think of it you get angry thinking you actually spend money on a movie ticket for it.

Norbit is an insult to Eddy Murphy's comedy career. Im really a big fan of Eddy Murphy and i have always loved his movies, even his flawed movies were mostly enjoyable for me. The movie is all about fat people jokes and things you've seen a dozen times before, and the worst part is no matter how hard Murphy tries none of the jokes in the movie are funny.

Well... basically i can go on and on about how bad this movie was but i think that about 80% of all the reaction here already point out the obvious: Don't see this movie!

This movie sucks dirt!

Author: Rob-120 (lindsayrs@msn.com) from Renton, WA
16 February 2008

How bad is this movie? Let me put it this way. I watched it on DVD (after checking it out at my local library. I'm not going to *pay money* to watch crap like this). As I watched it, I had the sound turned on "Mute," and the movie on Fast Forward x 3. And it was STILL awful.

I've seen mud wrestling matches that were funnier than this piece of garbage. I've watched industrial training videos that had more life that this cinematic ego-fest. And I've seen UPS delivery men with more acting talent than Murphy.

This movie was the reason that Murphy lost the Oscar for "Dreamgirls." Murphy should have waited until after the Oscar awards show to release this piece of trash. He did a dumb thing by releasing it the month before the Oscars, while the voting was still going on. The Academy voters figured, if Murphy was going to continue to star in crap movies like this one, they weren't about to give him an Oscar.

Eddie Murphy is funny again

Author: MLDinTN from TN
18 January 2008

I'm surprised at all the negative reviews because I thought this was a pretty good comedy. Murphy plays three characters and all are funny. Norbit(Murphy) is adopted by Mr. Wong(Murphy) and raised at the orphanage. Rasputia is an over-sized girl who beats up the bullies after him. So, Norbit becomes her boyfriend. Fast forward 20 years and the two are now married. Rasputia has turned into a plus size mean spirited, bully of a wife. Norbit does her command and even doesn't care when he catches her cheating. Kate comes back to town to buy the orphanage. She was the girl Norbit liked as a kid. Only problem is she brings a fiancé in tow. Norbit and Kate hang out which makes Rasputia jealous. She hunts them down and tags along in a bikini to a water park with them. I thought it was quite funny. It's up to Norbit to stop Kate's fiancé and Rasputia's brothers from turning the orphanage into a gentleman's club.

FINAL VERDICT: I thought it was entertaining and funny enough. It's worth seeing.

Underrated but not very good

Author: gangstahippie from Canada(Montreal, Quebec)
6 January 2008

Rated PG-13 for crude and sexual humor, some nudity and language

Norbit is the latest Eddie Murphy film.Some say its the reason why Eddie Murphy didn't win the Oscar(he was nominated for his role in Dreamgirls which I have yet to see).Eddie Murphy is a very funny actor in my opinion and he has made some great films such as Beverly Hills Cop,48 Hrs,Coming To America,Trading Places etc.Also who can forget his stand up comedy routines.Im talking about "Delirious" and "Raw" which were really funny! This movie is about an orphan named Norbit.He meets the love of his life at an orphanage but she gets adopted and he is heartbroken.Years later a fat mean girl named Rasputia protects Norbit from bullies and they become boyfriend and girlfriend eventually getting married.Norbit is in an abusive relationship, his wife cheats on him and gets jealous when he converses with other women.Norbits first girlfriend comes back and wants to buy the orphanage and run it but her fiancée and rasputia's brothers have other plans for it.Norbit has some very funny scenes but it is definitely not as good as Murphy's other work.If you're an Eddie Murphy fan, I guess you can check it out on TV.

Over Weighted Luck of Humor

Author: ananias73 from Greece
16 November 2007

An abandoned orphan who finds an over weighted woman to marry her and what ever happened when an "old flame" comes again to his life. First of all an unfunny film. A script based only to the incredible weight of his wife and how this affected hero's miserable life. Not even interesting or sympathetic character roles from the entire cast. Racist, misogynistic, , insulting, pointless and flat film . Murphy (way below average in every effort to make them laugh) is just horrible with his Afro - hairstyle and stereotypical as Rasputia (or something like that). Written by Murphy and his brother (?). A great failure at all