IMDb > Norbit (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Norbit

Norbit More at IMDbPro »

Page 12 of 26: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [Next]

The writer obviously doesn't know where the line between funny stupid and stupid stupid

Author: WakenPayne from Valhalla
20 February 2012

Looking at the writing credits I am surprised that it wasn't just one guy, If this is the best that 4 writers can do altogether than I have absolutely no desire to see any other of their movies. I went into this movie expecting just stupid comedy - the end result was a stupid mess that just either made me cringe or say to myself "some producer funded this?!?!". I am ashamed to actually say that I've actually watched it. I have no idea what people see in Eddie Murphy, to think he can pull off the role of 3 very unlikeable characters is almost torture to sit through, the worst character being Rasputia it was just unbearable.

For backing up interpretations a previous reviewer said it was a bad "fat joke" where the fat woman is portrayed as a super-bitch yet when the thin girl from Norbit's childhood shows up she is a kind-hearted saint... So a subliminal message there is to actually judge people on appearances - Not going to happen. The movie was ####ing stupid in all known areas of writing. To say that Eddie Murphy got 3 of the 4 acting Razzies (including "Worst Supporting Actress") says a lot about the humour in this - granted I NEVER judge a movie based on awards but this time an award ceremony hits it right on the head here.

This movie overall was not an enjoyable experience as the tag line said "have you ever made a really big mistake?" I have - renting this, Bye

This movie sucks dirt!

Author: Rob-120 (lindsayrs@msn.com) from Renton, WA
16 February 2008

How bad is this movie? Let me put it this way. I watched it on DVD (after checking it out at my local library. I'm not going to *pay money* to watch crap like this). As I watched it, I had the sound turned on "Mute," and the movie on Fast Forward x 3. And it was STILL awful.

I've seen mud wrestling matches that were funnier than this piece of garbage. I've watched industrial training videos that had more life that this cinematic ego-fest. And I've seen UPS delivery men with more acting talent than Murphy.

This movie was the reason that Murphy lost the Oscar for "Dreamgirls." Murphy should have waited until after the Oscar awards show to release this piece of trash. He did a dumb thing by releasing it the month before the Oscars, while the voting was still going on. The Academy voters figured, if Murphy was going to continue to star in crap movies like this one, they weren't about to give him an Oscar.

Eddie Murphy is funny again

Author: MLDinTN from TN
18 January 2008

I'm surprised at all the negative reviews because I thought this was a pretty good comedy. Murphy plays three characters and all are funny. Norbit(Murphy) is adopted by Mr. Wong(Murphy) and raised at the orphanage. Rasputia is an over-sized girl who beats up the bullies after him. So, Norbit becomes her boyfriend. Fast forward 20 years and the two are now married. Rasputia has turned into a plus size mean spirited, bully of a wife. Norbit does her command and even doesn't care when he catches her cheating. Kate comes back to town to buy the orphanage. She was the girl Norbit liked as a kid. Only problem is she brings a fiancé in tow. Norbit and Kate hang out which makes Rasputia jealous. She hunts them down and tags along in a bikini to a water park with them. I thought it was quite funny. It's up to Norbit to stop Kate's fiancé and Rasputia's brothers from turning the orphanage into a gentleman's club.

FINAL VERDICT: I thought it was entertaining and funny enough. It's worth seeing.

Underrated but not very good

Author: gangstahippie from Canada(Montreal, Quebec)
6 January 2008

Rated PG-13 for crude and sexual humor, some nudity and language

Norbit is the latest Eddie Murphy film.Some say its the reason why Eddie Murphy didn't win the Oscar(he was nominated for his role in Dreamgirls which I have yet to see).Eddie Murphy is a very funny actor in my opinion and he has made some great films such as Beverly Hills Cop,48 Hrs,Coming To America,Trading Places etc.Also who can forget his stand up comedy routines.Im talking about "Delirious" and "Raw" which were really funny! This movie is about an orphan named Norbit.He meets the love of his life at an orphanage but she gets adopted and he is heartbroken.Years later a fat mean girl named Rasputia protects Norbit from bullies and they become boyfriend and girlfriend eventually getting married.Norbit is in an abusive relationship, his wife cheats on him and gets jealous when he converses with other women.Norbits first girlfriend comes back and wants to buy the orphanage and run it but her fiancée and rasputia's brothers have other plans for it.Norbit has some very funny scenes but it is definitely not as good as Murphy's other work.If you're an Eddie Murphy fan, I guess you can check it out on TV.

Over Weighted Luck of Humor

Author: ananias73 from Greece
16 November 2007

An abandoned orphan who finds an over weighted woman to marry her and what ever happened when an "old flame" comes again to his life. First of all an unfunny film. A script based only to the incredible weight of his wife and how this affected hero's miserable life. Not even interesting or sympathetic character roles from the entire cast. Racist, misogynistic, , insulting, pointless and flat film . Murphy (way below average in every effort to make them laugh) is just horrible with his Afro - hairstyle and stereotypical as Rasputia (or something like that). Written by Murphy and his brother (?). A great failure at all

Why the Oscar Eluded Eddie Murphy

Author: puffball97 from United States
26 August 2007

Fresh from his promising turn from "Dreamgirls," Eddie Murphy, after so many years of unfunny bad movies, proved that he could be a dramatic actor and could very well have a much wider range of acting roles than his subsequent bomb, "Norbit." We thought we could count on Murphy coming a long, long way and start a brand new acting life from a buffoon to a real actor.

But no. Weeks before Oscartime, and before Alan Arkin snatched away that trophy from Murphy, came "Norbit," a vulgar, crass, mean-spirited would-be-comedy. Yes, Murphy sure gets to have range here, in three count-'em roles, where his face is unrecognizable in each role. He plays the title loser who never gets any breaks in life; Rasputia (Murphy overacts and acts up the part in the obvious fatsuit), the foul, enormously obese wife of Norbit bent on making her husband's life miserable; and the most unrecognizable role of role, Mr. Wong, the headmaster of the orphanage where he raised Norbit and his sweet-tempered childhood sweetheart Kate (Thandie Newton, in a thankless role). Only with the title character do we hear his real voice.

There are no decent laughs. How funny is it to have your real father throw you as a baby out of the car onto the gutter where the orphanage is? Luckily Mr. Wong raises Baby Norbit as his own. Five minutes after into the movie, we see young Rasputia (played by a real child actress) beating up kids who beat up 9-year-old Norbit. Then we see that Rasputia and that Norbit at the dinner table with Rasputia's three pimplike brothers who all through the movie look like 1970's blaxploitation characters (listen to the '70's soul music playing in the background that seem to come from "Shaft" or "Superfly"). In the 1980s, Rasputia and Norbit marry, and we get to hear Rick James music. And from then on, everything goes downhill for Norbit. Rasputia beats up Norbit and her three brothers also abuse him. Rasputia yells, screams, cries, cusses, and with all that, Murphy appears to make Rasputia the star of the movie, upstaging Norbit. Therefore, the movie should have been titled "Rasputia" and for sure with such an exaggeratedly misbehaved character, who would want to waste their precious time and money seeing that?

Now we go into the the present day. The adult Kate meets Norbit and Norbit wants desperately to go back to her. They drifted apart as kids because Kate was adopted first. It is easy to see Kate as a contrasting foil to Rasputia because Kate is calm, low-key, thin, and well-mannered. But the character of Kate doesn't get funny material to go with that goody-goody personality. However, Kate is engaged to the double-dealing Deion (Cuba Gooding, Jr., an Academy Award Winner who obviously wants a paycheck and acts like "What the Hell am I doing here?"). Kate and Deion are about to marry, but Norbit reveals Dion's crimes (while Kate wants to buy the orphanage from Mr. Wong to make it into a better place, Deion, along with Rasputia's brothers want to turn it into a strip club), so Kate breaks off with Deion, and eventually marries Norbit, Norbit finally leaves behind Rasputia, who gets an arrow in her rear end by a witness, causing her to scream her head off.

There is no real message to this junk. All there is nastiness. Murphy abuses fat people saying they are loud and nasty, makes skinny women with sweet and soft temperaments wholesome but boring, makes the men either pimplike or pushovers. He even mistreats animals in a scene where Rasputia runs over a dog, causing it to lose its legs, but the dog speaks and says "Kill the B----!" In real life, Murphy is no saint. He divorced Nicole Mitchell, the mother to their five children, and had an affair with Spice Girl Melanie Brown and passed the paternity test, making him the father of her child. And Murphy abuses himself where his own two characters Rasputia and Norbit hurt and insult each other. You may have only a laugh or two, but you may find yourself laughing in ridicule at Rasputia, which I did.

I burned the DVD to try to erase this from my memory!

Author: steveo98366 from United States
3 August 2007

Unbelievably awful movie. There was not one funny moment in this "comedy". Most of the reviews here point out the offensive nature of the jokes (something which doesn't bother me necessarily), but the most offensive thing about them is that they just aren't funny.

Eddie Murphy was one of my all-time favorite comedians, it's a shame that his writing abilities have devolved to this point. It doesn't surprise me to see some other big names in this production either. Cuba Gooding Jr. should stick to playing in Michael Jordan's underwear rather than contributing to garbage like this.

Marlon Wayans suits the role he played here, so no comments there...

I'm no writer, nor a comedian, but I could produce a funnier script than this. Where has the talent gone?

Save your money, and don't watch this movie in any format...

Ugh...

Author: killoa2002 from Ireland
16 July 2007

I rented this movie hoping for a laugh. I thought this would be funny and maybe good entertainment. I was highly disappointed. Eddie Murphy usually always delivers high class comedy but this was just a like a "nutty professor" spin off. Again, Murphy in more latex, a voice for Rasputia that sounds highly like Mrs. Klump from nutty professor.The story wasn't very well structured and in one scene you can even see the fat suit separate from the actual skin.The only good thing about this is that is has a cry baby dork that is only microscopically funny. Don't get this if you want comedy, but if you want a bad movie, this is for you!

God awful

Author: Spacetree from United States
12 June 2007

It's surprising that a movie with so much comedic talent could make me laugh so little. Or maybe it isn't and I'm overestimating Eddie Murphy. In any case, this movie made me laugh about three times: all of them from Eddie Griffin's and Katt Williams's lines. And this was at the END of the movie during the church scene. It took the entire movie to get to the humor. The rest is just badly constructed plot and fat jokes. But the worst part? Rasputia's catch-phrase. Why would she have a catch-phrase? It's like giving Jar Jar Binks a catchphrase; nobody's gonna quote cinema's greatest reject, and nobody's gonna quote this. Don't waste your time with this mess.

I expected a lot more

Author: view_and_review from California
12 June 2007

I must admit that I'm a bit disappointed in Eddie Murphy. OK... I'm a lot disappointed in Eddie Murphy. I still hold Eddie Murphy as one of the funniest comedians of all time, and still one of the most talented guys on screen, but this just fell flat. Eddie is incredibly talented, and his ability to do different characters is phenomenal, but this script just didn't work. Besides Mr. Wong, none of the other characters were funny. I expected some serious gut-busting laughs ala "The Nutty Professor" or even "Coming to America", but the lines and the physical humor just didn't do anything. Besides being an eye sore and morbidly obese, Rasputia was horribly unfunny. I expected more from everyone. Marlon Wayans, Eddie Griffin, Catt Williams, Terry Crews, etc. I've seen them all in other projects and found them a riot, whereas in this movie they were not amusing. I don't blame them at all, they did the best they could with the script. This was just a good idea gone bad.