IMDb > Norbit (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 27:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

People are so stupid!

Author: harryp-fan from United States
10 February 2007

This movie was very funny!!!! Why are people making such a big deal about this movie being "racist and making fun of overweight people"? People who think that need to lighten up and get a sense of humor! If you wanna see this movie because the previews look funny, go and see it. Don't listen to the other people because the movie is like 10 times funnier than the previews! This is definitely one a Eddie Murphy's best movies! I promise that you will think that this movie is funny. Yes, it does have a few racist shots, but if you have a sense of humor you won't mind. And yes, this movie is about an overweight woman, but once again, LIGHTEN UP PEOPLE! Have a good time and laugh at yourself!

At least 50% of the audience liked it.

Author: junaidaslam from Sunthorpe, United Kingdom
15 April 2007

I went to see this film on my birthday with my friend Paul. There were low expectations from both of us and we came out pleasantly surprised. We were laughing throughout the movie and it turned out to be a good birthday for me.

The other two people in the cinema were not as impressed but there's no accounting for taste.

I honestly cannot understand why this film has been critically mauled. It doesn't pretend to be something it's not. It's a film aimed for laughs and it does exactly what it delivers.

To fully appreciate and understand this film you need an enlightened and intelligent sense of humour to comprehend the genius film that is Norbit. People like Paul and I are just very rare.

Revelation...the humorless need to take a breath and see this for what it is.

Author: bulletproofclod from United States
11 February 2007

This is NOT meant to be a serious movie. Those who created Norbit did not set out to make a witty, comical masterpiece that made the viewers think and contemplate...this is a comedy. No one seems to understand it, be the long, winding and rather dull critical remarks on the movie bringing 'a new meaning to distasteful' or something equally as yawn-worthy, what needs to be realized is that this is riddled with clichés and fun, comical satire. This is not meant to make one think, it exists because it must have been entertaining to make and it is funny. This is no Little Miss Sunshine, and it serves its purpose, I spent one hour and forty-two minutes without a decent thought in my head. Those humorless people who continue to bore us with their in depth reasoning for 'why this movie isn't good' need to stop for a second and look at the plot and concept...this is not meant to be taken seriously.

"Well Raspucia, you have been eating so much lately..."

Author: claknoxville from United States
25 April 2007

Wow, I don't no why this movie has received such low ratings! Okay, I understand that there really is no point to the movie. No climax, unforgettable conclusion, I understand. BUT IT WAS FUNNY! Lol, if you ever want to see a movie just to LAUGH, then you have to see Norbit. Eddie Murphy is Brilliant as usual and the characters he plays are pricelesss. I sure did ecjoy watching this hysterical movie. I highly recommend this movie to all ages! HAHHAHAHAHAHAHA, im laughing now thats how funny this movie was. WOW. But anywhoo,like i said before, if you want to watch a movie, not worry about anything else, then Norbit is a must see. LOl, I loved it and believe me, you won't regret it!

Hilarious!!

Author: jacobsend from United States
26 April 2007

This movie is so funny, it is ridiculous. I nearly busted a gut laughing. You people are oversensitive. Yeah, I know it shouldn't get a 10, but compared to any other comedy in the past few years it is right up there. I think you are forgetting that comedies don't have to be outstandingly clever in order to be funny. It isn't meant to be an epic tale with deep metaphors and tons of symbolism, it is meant to be funny, and it succeeds. Forget about mise en scene and just relax and laugh your ass off.

This movie is so funny I can't remember a moment when I was not laughing. Get over your differences and laugh about them. Don't be ashamed to laugh just because someone is black or fat.

This is the funniest movies I have seen in a long time and I'm not ashamed to say it.

Sad

Author: BlackFilm from United States
9 February 2007

First let me say ... I am an Eddie Murphy fan. I think he's a comic genius. And that's why I was so surprised to see him star in and even write such a low level and offensive comedy.

The first few minutes of the film started out with a little promise, but it didn't take long for the film to fall to such a low level that I cringed from early in until the movie was over. And even though I watched to nearly the end, I demanded my money back. It's only the second time I've ever done that, and I'm an avid film goer.

What was so offensive? I don't know where to begin. Most obviously, every "fat" gag in the book was used. Eddie Murphy plays an overweight woman who is ugly and evil, and every nasty thing you can think to say about her is said. To make it worse, the leading lady is Thandie Newton who is extremely thin, which only goes to further emphasize the other extreme.

Maybe Eddie Murphy thought he could get away with this because he shows, in The Nutty Professor, how an overweight man can "get the girl". But, really, that just shows the extreme double standard that remains when it comes to overweight men versus women.

Now, I'm a realist, and I know that the double standard is not Eddie Murphy's fault. Still, he plays on it here in such a nasty way that it offended me, an open minded, in-shape male. And for those who argue that it's the character's attitude and not her weight that made her "the bad guy", then why make her fat in the first place. And why have so many nasty fat jokes.

The movie was offensive on other levels too. The racial humor wasn't funny. There are some lines with attempts at humor that really go too far. Many of you who have seen it will understand what I mean. And those who haven't, I hope you don't support this film out of curiosity. Please, wait for cable. There is nothing in this that you can't wait to see.

I heard that it was Eddie Murphy's brother who came up with this idea. If EM did this as a favor to his brother, he could have done his brother, and himself a bigger favor by bringing Charlie in on a better project and tossing this script.

On the one positive note: Eddie Murphy does put his all into these characters as always. His job as Norbit gets lost in the low class, low level "comedy". Even though I just saw the film, I had to really remember that his performance as Norbit was decent. All I can think about is how offended I was, and how thoroughly depressed an overweight woman sitting at the end of my row looked throughout most of the film (she left before I did).

A funny film, so cry me a river.

Author: uofmcanesfan311 from Ohio
11 February 2007

Although it wasn't the absolute funniest movie I've ever seen, Norbit turned out to be a fun filled movie with lots of big names appearing throughout the flick.

The plot is rather obvious, but the characters in the movie create a great comedy setting that can be enjoyed by all, regardless of race and stereotyping. Eddie Murphy does a great job with his three big roles in the movie and the majority of the film kept a smile on my face. It's good to see that Murphy can still do movies that aren't made to adapt to the humor of seven year old's.

If you're offended by sophomoric humor, you might not want to watch ANY movie, let alone Norbit.

A lot funnier than given credit for

Author: martinezral from United States
26 April 2008

This movie is very underrated. The verbal insults thrown back & forth by the characters and the subtle and not-so-subtle behavior is just plain hilarious.

I've seen it twice, and both times I laughed very hard...as did the other people watching the movie. I think there's a lot of folks that find poking fun at obesity, nerdiness, and pimps as "offensive." Generally those are people that are likely stuffy and rarely happy. "Get a life!" is the best advice for those critics. Never does this movie promise to do more than make you laugh, and it does that quite well.

If you liked "The Longest Yard," "Anchorman," or "Dodgeball," then you're likely to enjoy Norbit.

For all you movie critics that hated this movie, YOUR WRONG! Absolutely Hysterical

Author: anmcool from United States
7 February 2008

All the people that thought that this movie was crude, distasteful and horrid, You have no sense of humor whatsoever. I could not stop laughing throughout this movie. Norbit is a great comedy and it shows what a versatile actor Eddie Murphy is. I don't know why people think this movie is " Crude" or "Racist" . This is just reality. This is really how the media and the people in this world view these types of people. If it was racist against African Americans, I don't think am African American actor ( Eddie Murphy) and all the others would have agreed to make this movie. All you haters need to rethink your idea of comedy because this is comedic genius.

Murphy brothers have a hit!

Author: gfygoober17 from Illinois
9 February 2007

Eddie Murphy has put out the best movie of 2007(as of yet anyways). was a bit leery of going to see Norbit, but glad i did now. While seeing trailers in the theater i envisioned another meet the Klumps but Eddie solidified this movie by casting some great supporting roles, ala terry crew(longest yard, click) Cuba Gooding Jr(for once not playing a sweet and innocent character), Kat Williams, Eddie Griffen(undercover brother). Im sure I'm forgetting some but these supporting roles help solidify Norbit. Norbit not only has a good cast of black actors, but the story line is Definitely Original and funny. Norbit had me laughing so loud that i actually missed some lines in the movie. Eddie's character Mr.Wong steals the show, just wish there was a little more from Charlie Murphy. Don't know many actors that can pull off multiple characters in one movie, that is definitely Eddies talent.

Page 1 of 27:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]