IMDb > Norbit (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 26:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Sad

Author: BlackFilm from United States
9 February 2007

First let me say ... I am an Eddie Murphy fan. I think he's a comic genius. And that's why I was so surprised to see him star in and even write such a low level and offensive comedy.

The first few minutes of the film started out with a little promise, but it didn't take long for the film to fall to such a low level that I cringed from early in until the movie was over. And even though I watched to nearly the end, I demanded my money back. It's only the second time I've ever done that, and I'm an avid film goer.

What was so offensive? I don't know where to begin. Most obviously, every "fat" gag in the book was used. Eddie Murphy plays an overweight woman who is ugly and evil, and every nasty thing you can think to say about her is said. To make it worse, the leading lady is Thandie Newton who is extremely thin, which only goes to further emphasize the other extreme.

Maybe Eddie Murphy thought he could get away with this because he shows, in The Nutty Professor, how an overweight man can "get the girl". But, really, that just shows the extreme double standard that remains when it comes to overweight men versus women.

Now, I'm a realist, and I know that the double standard is not Eddie Murphy's fault. Still, he plays on it here in such a nasty way that it offended me, an open minded, in-shape male. And for those who argue that it's the character's attitude and not her weight that made her "the bad guy", then why make her fat in the first place. And why have so many nasty fat jokes.

The movie was offensive on other levels too. The racial humor wasn't funny. There are some lines with attempts at humor that really go too far. Many of you who have seen it will understand what I mean. And those who haven't, I hope you don't support this film out of curiosity. Please, wait for cable. There is nothing in this that you can't wait to see.

I heard that it was Eddie Murphy's brother who came up with this idea. If EM did this as a favor to his brother, he could have done his brother, and himself a bigger favor by bringing Charlie in on a better project and tossing this script.

On the one positive note: Eddie Murphy does put his all into these characters as always. His job as Norbit gets lost in the low class, low level "comedy". Even though I just saw the film, I had to really remember that his performance as Norbit was decent. All I can think about is how offended I was, and how thoroughly depressed an overweight woman sitting at the end of my row looked throughout most of the film (she left before I did).

People are so stupid!

Author: harryp-fan from United States
10 February 2007

This movie was very funny!!!! Why are people making such a big deal about this movie being "racist and making fun of overweight people"? People who think that need to lighten up and get a sense of humor! If you wanna see this movie because the previews look funny, go and see it. Don't listen to the other people because the movie is like 10 times funnier than the previews! This is definitely one a Eddie Murphy's best movies! I promise that you will think that this movie is funny. Yes, it does have a few racist shots, but if you have a sense of humor you won't mind. And yes, this movie is about an overweight woman, but once again, LIGHTEN UP PEOPLE! Have a good time and laugh at yourself!

At least 50% of the audience liked it.

Author: junaidaslam from Sunthorpe, United Kingdom
15 April 2007

I went to see this film on my birthday with my friend Paul. There were low expectations from both of us and we came out pleasantly surprised. We were laughing throughout the movie and it turned out to be a good birthday for me.

The other two people in the cinema were not as impressed but there's no accounting for taste.

I honestly cannot understand why this film has been critically mauled. It doesn't pretend to be something it's not. It's a film aimed for laughs and it does exactly what it delivers.

To fully appreciate and understand this film you need an enlightened and intelligent sense of humour to comprehend the genius film that is Norbit. People like Paul and I are just very rare.

Revelation...the humorless need to take a breath and see this for what it is.

Author: bulletproofclod from United States
11 February 2007

This is NOT meant to be a serious movie. Those who created Norbit did not set out to make a witty, comical masterpiece that made the viewers think and contemplate...this is a comedy. No one seems to understand it, be the long, winding and rather dull critical remarks on the movie bringing 'a new meaning to distasteful' or something equally as yawn-worthy, what needs to be realized is that this is riddled with clichés and fun, comical satire. This is not meant to make one think, it exists because it must have been entertaining to make and it is funny. This is no Little Miss Sunshine, and it serves its purpose, I spent one hour and forty-two minutes without a decent thought in my head. Those humorless people who continue to bore us with their in depth reasoning for 'why this movie isn't good' need to stop for a second and look at the plot and concept...this is not meant to be taken seriously.

The tag line says it all.

Author: LordDimple from United States
13 February 2007

If you've ever made a big mistake, watching this movie will be another one.

Almost physically painful to watch.

Norbit isn't nearly as bad as The Adventures of Pluto Nash, but it's a hell of a lot worse than Beverly Hills Cop 3, which was awful! I could not stand all of the fat jokes, they were not like the jokes in the Nutty Professor, which were playful, if a little bit rude. These were just plain hateful. Don't get me wrong, I really like Eddie Murphy, and I was really hoping that he was going to dig himself out of the pit of below-average movies he's starred in lately. I missed Dream Girls, but I heard it was very good. Too bad he had to follow it up with this movie.

The plot is unoriginal, and the writing is very plain.

Wait for the DVD, get extremely drunk, and watch it then.

It's good to know that our society has not moved up when it comes to harsh jokes on racism and obesity

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
10 June 2007

I was so excited to see Norbit, from the trailer, this actually looked like a very funny movie. When I saw the rating on IMDb, I thought maybe there was a chance people just took the movie too seriously, I wanted to check it out for myself. I don't mind fat jokes here and there, I liked the movie Shallow Hal, I also used to be heavy and lost all the weight, so I know what it's like to feel isolated in a society that praises thin people. But I never took it personally, I make fat jokes still for fun. But Norbit took it not only to a very racist level, but to a level where it makes it look like big people are hideous and mean monsters and that it's alright to ridicule them. The funny thing is, I wasn't intending on taking this movie seriously, until I saw it and did not laugh once.

Norbit is a little whiny guy who has been pushed around his whole life. He was raised in an orphanage by Asian parents, when he is getting bullied one day, a plump black girl saves his butt, and offers to be his girlfriend, well, she kinda forces him to be. She takes him into her family where the men are a bit violent and have taken over the town. Norbit gets married to Rebestia, the little black girl that saved him, and they have a miserable life together. But he sees an old friend who is an attractive thin woman, and she wants to buy the orphanage and have Norbit help her with it, but it's hard when his obnoxious overweight wife won't let him.

I don't know if Eddie read this script and actually thought it was funny, because it went onto a "Steve Urkel" level where Rebestia wasn't so funny as just more obnoxious. To be honest, none of the characters were funny or sympathetic at all. This was a very sad movie and should have never been made, I don't know what these actors were thinking, but this was not a funny comedy. Stay away from it, this is the point where Eddie Murphy is just loosing it in his career.

"Well Raspucia, you have been eating so much lately..."

Author: claknoxville from United States
25 April 2007

Wow, I don't no why this movie has received such low ratings! Okay, I understand that there really is no point to the movie. No climax, unforgettable conclusion, I understand. BUT IT WAS FUNNY! Lol, if you ever want to see a movie just to LAUGH, then you have to see Norbit. Eddie Murphy is Brilliant as usual and the characters he plays are pricelesss. I sure did ecjoy watching this hysterical movie. I highly recommend this movie to all ages! HAHHAHAHAHAHAHA, im laughing now thats how funny this movie was. WOW. But anywhoo,like i said before, if you want to watch a movie, not worry about anything else, then Norbit is a must see. LOl, I loved it and believe me, you won't regret it!

Hilarious!!

Author: jacobsend from United States
26 April 2007

This movie is so funny, it is ridiculous. I nearly busted a gut laughing. You people are oversensitive. Yeah, I know it shouldn't get a 10, but compared to any other comedy in the past few years it is right up there. I think you are forgetting that comedies don't have to be outstandingly clever in order to be funny. It isn't meant to be an epic tale with deep metaphors and tons of symbolism, it is meant to be funny, and it succeeds. Forget about mise en scene and just relax and laugh your ass off.

This movie is so funny I can't remember a moment when I was not laughing. Get over your differences and laugh about them. Don't be ashamed to laugh just because someone is black or fat.

This is the funniest movies I have seen in a long time and I'm not ashamed to say it.

A new standard for the distasteful

Author: janos451 from San Francisco
8 February 2007

As they say in "Casablanca," I've been misinformed. Still, most of the responsibility belongs with me.

Misinformed by the promising cast of "Norbit" - Eddie Murphy, Thandie Newton, Clifton Powell, Cuba Gooding Jr. - a whole bunch of talented folk. My fault: not connecting the title with those horrid advertising snippets where an 800-pound female Murphy squashes a sort of male Murphy like a bug, with an unbelievably stereotyped bucktooth "Chinese" Murphy doing unspeakable things.

Honestly, I did not make the connection, and perhaps if I did, I might have thought those preview shots don't tell the whole story. Well, in fact, Murphy-squashing-Murphy is not the worse thing in "Norbit," although it's repeated many times.

The worse thing in "Norbit" is the whole of it: a nonstop, unrelieved, offensive, unfunny gross-out of unprecedented juvenile vulgarity. Think of Stephen Chow at his recent worst, multiplied by several degrees of all-around indignities.

Take it from an incorrigible movie fan who enjoyed half (the first half, specifically) of "Ishtar" (supposedly the "worst movie ever") and, more recently, found the cinematography of several otherwise terminally vapid movies "interesting" - there is nothing worthwhile in "Norbit" whatsoever, not even watching the beautiful Newton behaving like a fig here.

Brian Robbins, a TV producer in real life, is maligned here as the director, Jay Scherick and David Ronn (co-writers of the Martin Lawrence-botched "National Security") came up with a story of gore, body-function accidents, relentless pummeling of men, women and children of all races, although with more venom and contempt for blacks and Asians than the few token whites suffer.

What is the plot, beyond skinny Murphy being married to, and squashed by, elephantine Murphy? I don't want to spoil it, but basically that's what the story is.

"Norbit" sets a new standard for the worst Hollywood can conceivably produce.

A funny film, so cry me a river.

Author: uofmcanesfan311 from Ohio
11 February 2007

Although it wasn't the absolute funniest movie I've ever seen, Norbit turned out to be a fun filled movie with lots of big names appearing throughout the flick.

The plot is rather obvious, but the characters in the movie create a great comedy setting that can be enjoyed by all, regardless of race and stereotyping. Eddie Murphy does a great job with his three big roles in the movie and the majority of the film kept a smile on my face. It's good to see that Murphy can still do movies that aren't made to adapt to the humor of seven year old's.

If you're offended by sophomoric humor, you might not want to watch ANY movie, let alone Norbit.

Page 1 of 26:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]