IMDb > AC/DC: Family Jewels (2005) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

AC/DC: Family Jewels (V) More at IMDbPro »

Awesome collection of AC/DC songs!

Author: MovieAddict2016 from UK
13 November 2005

If you're an AC/DC fan you'll love this collection! It has many early TV broadcasts from Australian channels and progresses onwards through their fame and fortune. I saw some old videos on here that I had only heard about in the past; I met a die-hard AC/DC fan packing my household goods when I was getting ready to move and he said that some of the stuff on the DVD he had been waiting years to see.

I'm not into AC/DC as much as some others who have reviewed this are, but even from a moderate fan who knows most of their songs I was really impressed by this compilation. You can tell they really had the fans in mind when they put this together.

All music DVDs should be this good!

Perfect for AC/DC Fans or People Trying to Get into the Band

Author: AngusYoungBinge from United States
11 December 2005

I'll be frank - I love AC/DC. They are an excellent band who held up well with two different singers.

The first DVD contains song videos back from the time of Bon Scott (either from 1974 - 1979 or 1975 - 1979). These show the performance of AC/DC's original front man before his death.

The second DVD contains song videos from the time of Brian Johnson (possibly from 1980 - sometime in the early 1990's). These show the performance of Brian Johnson, AC/DC's second front man who shows that he can hold Bon's spot very well.

As for the rest of the band, they're all there doing what they normally do best- rocking out hard.

And it's always a pleasure to see Angus Young go crazy on stage.

BUY IT!

Fantastic 10/10

Author: donovan74 from United Kingdom
21 November 2006

THE BAND AC/DC ANGUS YOUNG --- LEAD GUITAR MALCOLM YOUNG --- RHYTHM GUITAR BON SCOTT // BRIAN JOHNSON --- VOCALS CLIFF WILLIAMS --- BASS PHIL RUDD --- DRUMS

Let me tell you I have a good collection of this great Australian band both on CD and DVD but FAMILY JEWELS on DVD is really rather special. Its totally packed with tracks, twenty on each DVD so you get two and a half hours of bliss. Every time I slip Family jewels in the DVD player its a time to turn up the volume (make sure everybody's out ) and enjoy.

On DVD 1, its the original singer the late great Bon Scott era starting off with' BABY PLEASE DON'T GO' that will take you back to 1975 through to 1980 with 'HIGHWAY TO HELL'. Listen out for IT'S A LONG WAY TO THE TOP (1976) on track 4' which always get's me going.

DVD 2, Brings in the current AC/DC singer Brian Johnson who fits in perfectly with the opening track 'HELLS BELLS' 1980 through to 1990 'ARE YOU READY'. I have this problem every time I hear the thunderous,roaring,deafening track of THUNDERSTRUCK' I seem to go into some sort of frenzied fit, just hope I grow out of it, ( THUNDER araghh arrrr arrrrrghhhhhhh ).

AC/DC works very well as a group but the real star for me is Angus Young the lead guitarist, who is one seriously truly gifted talent, ANGUS' ANGUS' ANGUS is all you here sometimes at their concerts. I will give AC/DC FAMILY JEWELS the thumbs up and fully recommend it to both fans and music lover's ( might be a bit loud for some ) also there's an official website at WWW.ACDCROCKS.COM . Family Jewels DVD also includes a full catalogue discography with 23 pages of photos and info about the tracks listed.. I hope you purchase this great DVD and at the price i paid for mine ( under £10 on ebay ,always shop around to get the best price ) is a steal so get ROCKING. .10/10

TRACK LIST.

DVD 1' (1975 - 1980) BABY PLEASE DON'T GO SHOW BUSINESS HIGH VOLTAGE IT'S A LONG WAY TO THE TOP T.N.T JAILBREAK DIRTY DEEDS DONE DIRT CHEAP DOG EAT DOG LET THERE BE ROCK ROCK'N'ROLL DAMNATION SIN CITY RIFF RAFF FLING THING/ROCKER WHOLE LOTTA OF ROSIE SHOT DOWN IN FLAMES WALK ALL OVER YOU TOUCH TOO MUCH IF YOU WAN'T BLOOD GIRLS GOT RHYTHM HIGHWAY TO HELL

DVD 2' (1980 - 1990) HELLS BELLS BACK IN BLACK WHAT DO YOU DO FOR MONEY HONEY ROCK AND ROLL AIN'T NOISE POLLUTION LETS GET IT UP FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK FLICK OF THE SWITCH NERVOUS SHAKEDOWN FLY ON THE WALL DANGER SINK THE PINK STAND UP SHAKE YOUR FOUNDATIONS WHO MADE WHO YOU SHOOK ME ALL NIGHT LONG HEATSEEKER THAT'S THE WAY I WANNA ROCK N ROLL THUNDERSTRUCK MONEYTALKS ARE YOU READY

Running time approx 150mins

AC/DC: Highvoltage DVD

Author: Mike Hunt from Hellbourne
19 September 2005

As a hardcore AC/DC fan I was stoked at the release of this DVD. It contains most of the video clips that AC/DC have done, but however, it is not all of them I was disappointed to find out.

On disc one is the Bon era, there are some clips i'd never seen before like Show Business and some clips from Highway To Hell performed on a live show in '79. (tho,m they are miming and not playing live!)

On disc 2 is most of the Brian era.

But what was truly disappointing was how many clips where left off. There where many alternate clips from the Bon era, and many live clips that later replaced Studio clips. Then as it comes to an end, the last clip is off The Razors Edge album (1990) Are You Ready... Rock Your Heart Out has been left off, as well as all the clips after that from Big Gun, the Ballbreaker album and Stiff Upper Lip.

Both DVD's run for about 2 hours each, which makes me wonder who the hell did the DVD formatting? A DVD will hold 4 hours of footage without any worries, so this being a 2 disc set which could have all fit onto one disc. Notable missing clips are - Long Way To The Top (original studio version) - Dirty Deeds (2 alternate versions) - Dog Eat Dog (alternate versions) - Highway To Hell (original studio version) - Girls Got Rhythm (original studio version) - Let There Be Rock (live versions) - You Shook Me All Night Long (original studio version) - TNT (original, and Live versions) - Let Me Put My Love Into You - Nervous Shakedown (both versions) - Rock Your Heart Out - Big Gun - Hard As A Rock - Hail Ceaser - Cover You In Oil - Ballbreaker (live) - Stiff Upper Lip - Satellite Blues - Safe In NY City

It truly should have been a 3 disc set, or fix it right and make a true double set including bonus alternate clips. But oh well, it's here now. What is on it is worth owning and it's good to have them all in a nifty set.

Superb

Author: The_Wagon from United States
2 February 2007

AC/DC isn't shown on television much. The only thing you ever see on TV is on Metal Mania on VH1 Classic. Even then, they only play a live Back In Black video or the video for Thunderstruck. Never will you see Riff Raff. Never will you see Who Made Who or anything like that.

But in this, you can just sit back and watch pretty much every AC/DC video. There's 20 Bon and 20 Brian. It's just hours of good hard rock. It was cheap too, I picked it up at Target for 12 bucks. So far, I haven't found it any cheaper.

So yeah, if you like AC/DC buy this. It's great for any super crazy hardcore AC/DC fan, or just someone wanting to get into the band. If you want to buy an album to get you into the band, you should pick up one of the classic albums or AC/DC Live 2 disc edition.

The Bonny Scottsman Vs. The English Screecher.

Author: Son_of_Mansfield from Mansfield, Pennsylvania.
23 April 2006

Disc one of this two disc set highlights the Bon Scott years while disc two gives you the Brian Johnson era. I prefer the cheeky Bon Scott who is like the ring leader of his own circus. Watch as he dresses up like a smoking schoolgirl with pointy pigtails and hairy armpits. Watch as he plays a preacher telling of the gospel of rock. Watch as he gives it his all in a jovial jailbreak. The Bon Scott years were a time for his brand of silly swagger mixed with the band's pure rock. The flip side is the straight forward Brian Johnson. If you like your lead singers to sound like they just arrived from a glass eating competition, then this is your man. He also likes to prowl the stage like a barely contained animal. This two disc set is great for those of us who can see our evil ways, but just keep riding on.

Great music but the MTV production style is not for me

Author: TheAlfer from United States
11 October 2005

My summary pretty much tells it all. There is a lot of great music for AC/DC fans on this two disc set.

I loved seeing Bon Scott on the first disc. He was a great showman and really funny in his gestures. You won't see him on any of their other DVD's so this is a bonus.

Personally, I prefer their live concert DVD's overall (Live at Donnington, No Bull, Stiff Upper Lip Live) over the MTV type production.

If you grew up in the MTV era and love AC/DC, this is definitely your DVD.

Great DVD, but has problems

Author: night_lex from Australia
24 September 2005

AC/DC: Family jewels is, simply put, a great DVD, and worth buying for any AC/DC fan. Contains 20 clips from from the Bon era, and 20 from the brian era. But... that's it. Disc 2 has a discography on it, but that's the only extra on this DVD.

Now, the clips are great, don't get me wrong, but there could have been more. There is a clip of "Can I sit next to you girl" with original singer Dave Evans, Which would have been a great inclusion to the DVD. And there aren't any clips from Ballbreaker or Stiff upper lip, or even Live. What there is is good, but there could have been more.

The major problems with these clips, is that most of them we've already seen hundreds of times.

Though, all the clips are great, the best are: Baby please don't go, Show Business, It's a long way to the top(If you want to rock and roll), T.N.T, Jailbreak, Dirty Deeds done dirt cheap Let there be rock, sin city, Highway to hell, Hells bells, Back in black, What do you do for money honey, Rock and roll ain't noise pollution, Lets get it up, For those about to rock(We salute you), Shake your foundations, Thunderstruck and Are you ready.

Most of the one's I selected are in that list because of the songs, but the clip for songs such as jailbreak are just fantastic(So cheap it's great).