The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: A VeggieTales Movie

Great movie for kids!

Author: PFNikolai from Nashville, TN, United States
11 January 2008

In this day of incredible computer-aided animation and scripts written to keep audiences laughing, it is easy to get caught up in the quality of the production and the non-stop barrage of jokes while losing sight of another objective that a good movie for kids might—or even should—attempt to achieve: communicating the value of virtues. It is rare that a movie can pull off all three, and I have to believe that effectively communicating values (without preaching) is the most difficult of the three.

The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything comes close on all three counts. The animation is good, but it does not amaze. The story has moments of laughter and emotion, but you don't end up caring about many of the characters. And it makes it clear that doing the right thing and being willing to make sacrifices for others is important and worth the effort. In the end, I was glad that my kids had been entertained while having important principles reinforced. This is truly a movie for kids from start to finish, rather than a cute story with mature humor thrown in from time to time to keep things interesting for parents who might not be able set their prurient interests aside for a couple of hours.

Now if I could just get those freaky cheese curls off my mind…

Only Larry the Cucumber could get away with.....

Author: murray_mg from Dallas, TX
11 January 2008

....a riff on "ScarFace"! No kidding, I howled with laughter during the climax, when Larry challenges the bad guy with "Say hello to my little friend!" I went to see this new gem from Big Idea with my wife and our five year old son. All of us are die-hard Veggietale fans, and this one does not disappoint. The Pirates start off this time as a hapless trio like the Three Stooges, working in a dinner theater, and get drawn back to the 17th century in a somewhat Narnian way (is that a real word? I don't know). They embark unwittingly on an heroic mission to rescue a young prince and princess from their pirate uncle, kidnapped while their Aslan-like father the king is away. Very well done. And while there is not an OVERT biblical message, the return of the missing King parallels Matthew 28 very nicely, without being pushy about it. There is also a very funny sendup of the B-52's campy dance classic "Rock Lobster". Go see this one, it's great!

Cute and entertaining

Author: sphouch from United States
20 January 2008

This movie is not likely to win (or be nominated for) any awards. But that does not change the fact that it was an amusing distraction for the children. It seemed to be a variation of Galaxy Quest, which was a fun movie itself. This, of course, was more kid-oriented, and my three children (ages 3, 6, and 9) all enjoyed the show - the 9 year old enjoyed it in spite of himself.

It was a cute movie with a positive message that used humor to advance the story as opposed to a movie that makes up a story to move from pratfall to pratfall. It's a rare treat in movie-making these days, and one that is worth checking out - at a matinée.

Loved it

Author: Naimi12 from California
12 January 2008

I absolutely loved this movie! I liked the animation, some of the music, and the plot, and it had some funny content, which was mostly found in the dialogue. Although this movie had few songs compared to the Jonah Veggietales movie, Bob the Tomato and Jr. Asparagus were barely used at all, the music video at the end was weird, the credits didn't have any funny songs like Jonah did, and the "pirates who don't do anything" in this movie aren't pirates at all, I personally found this one of the most entertaining Veggietales productions. What's more, this movie has a moral lesson that I think applies to all Christians and not just those in a specific situation, unlike some of the other Veggietales movies and videos. It teaches about the importance of fulfilling the call that God has on our lives. So I highly recommend seeing this movie because it's very entertaining and useful.

Fun for the Whole Family

Author: fisherbee1-1 from United States
19 January 2008

I took the kids to see this one, and they all thoroughly enjoyed themselves (even the teenager!). Personally, I got a kick out of the story; with all the twists and turns, you never know what is coming next, or where it will all lead. There are realistic personal situations for our favorite veggies to deal with, plenty of action to keep things moving along, and all the laughs and silliness that we have come to expect from Veggie Tales. The moral was there, of course, presented so wonderfully and cleverly that even the secular audience grasp and appreciate the lesson. Once again, Big Idea has served us up a delightful tale for the entire family, that children of all ages can see with no worries by their parents.

A Very Big Disappointment

Author: Matt ( from United States
13 January 2008

I've been a fan of Veggie Tales since they came out. They were funny and sent a great message. This was possibly the most boring animated movie I've ever seen. Now granted I'm in my twenties but I still enjoy kids cartoon movies, so when I see one I don't like, I try to hear the reaction from the kids in the audience to see how they enjoy it. Aside from a chuckle every now and then, none of the kids were laughing during the movie. I think the main problem is that there's a lot of dialog. So, coming from a life long fan of the Veggie Tales, it's probably best to keep the kids at home and throw in one of Veggie classics.

Funny. Just Funny. thats all you need to know.

Author: dbborroughs from Glen Cove, New York
2 March 2008

I'm not a fan of Veggie Tales. However, in small bits quite clever and funny. It was with some apprehension therefore that I saw The Pirates that Don't Do Anything (okay I saw it because the trailers and commercials looked funny).

The plot has three of the Veggies working at a pirate meal and show place like Medieval Times, but with pirates. they are little more than waiters who want to be in the show. When an audition goes wrong and gets them tossed, they figure their futures were bleak. However a magic ball from the past mistakes them for heroes and transports them back in time to help a Princess who has to rescue her brother from a real pirate. I'm mangling the plot but you get the idea.

I thought this was hysterical. No its not the be all and end all, but it is clever and witty with a nice sense of silliness. I loved the cheese curls and the walking rocks and some of the songs...and I just had a good time. I'm not sure that this really required to be on the big screen at ten bucks a head, but its better than the Weinstein's Doogal or Happily N'ever After or some of the other poor animated films of late, so I shouldn't complain since I had a good time watching it. I don't know what else to say it was funny, is there anything else one needs to know?

This might be their best!

Author: snake6283 from Columbus, Ohio
16 February 2008

Having kids around, I'm very familiar with the Veggie Tales. I've always admired their humor and their fun, and I enjoy something with a decent lesson or value that kids can learn. I was thoroughly impressed with this movie. This took a while to develop the story, but I believe it really made for their best feature, and some of the best work they've done to this point.

I would always stack their animation against pretty much anyone animating today, and their humor and fun really come out. I took nieces and nephews to see this film, and the kids laughed and laughed. I did too. What more can one desire from a Saturday afternoon at the movies? This is a winner.

A Fair Effort But I'm Left Wondering If Veggie Tales Is Really Big Screen Material

Author: sddavis63 ( from Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
26 January 2008

I took my three year old daughter to the theatre to see this movie this afternoon. I've heard criticism of it for not having an explicit enough Christian theme - the Veggie Tales are, after all, a Christian outreach ministry to children. Some seem to think they've "crossed over." For those not familiar with that term, from a Christian point of view, a "cross over" is a Christian entertainer - usually a singer - who moves to the secular side of the entertainment world. Elvis Presley (from gospel singer to king of rock and roll) is probably the best known cross-over. The Veggie Tales crew probably left themselves open to that charge by doing an essentially secular Saturday cartoon for NBC. Having watched this movie, though, I think that particular criticism is unfair. It's true that Christian content isn't explicit in this movie, but it's certainly there. There are constant references to help from above; there's the king who tells the "heroes" that he'll always be with them; the same king looks out for widows and orphans; and there's the over-arching theme of the movie, which is that even little guys like Larry the Cucumber and Pa Grape can become big heroes, a la David and Goliath. So, if you get the analogies, you get the Christian content, much like C.S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia.

It wasn't the content that was the problem here. The story is about 3 unlikely heroes somehow going back in time to help rescue a kidnapped princess. The title comes from a "Silly Song by Larry" in one of the VT videos. It's cute, a bit scary at times for wee ones and promotes good values. But the problem as I see it is that Veggie Tales was never intended for the big screen. The videos are fairly short and usually include 3 or 4 different items - stories, songs, etc. The movie essentially takes one theme and goes with it for about an hour and twenty minutes, which is probably too much for the audience of little kids that were present while I was there. I think this was a decent effort to bring the Veggie Tales sense of values to the movies, but I don't think I'd want them to do it again. 6/10

My Review

Author: joemamaohio from United States
14 October 2008

Those lovable VeggieTales are back on the big screen in "The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything." In the 17th Century, evil Robert the Terrible (Cam Clarke) has kidnapped the King's son, Alexander (Yuri Lowenthal), and his sister Bernadette (Cydney Trent) uses a special capsule her father gave her to summon help.

In the modern time, George, Sedgewick and Elliot are busboys for a famous dinner theater, wishing they were really pirates. Soon they're transported to the 17th Century, and are now called upon to be heroes...even though they're all scared to death! VeggieTales is one of the best cartoon series for children. It teaches moral lessons without having it jammed down your throat, and even for grown-ups (like myself), I found the film to be surprisingly entertaining and hilarious (I mean, who wouldn't laugh at vegetables fainting?).