IMDb > Creature of Darkness (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Creature of Darkness More at IMDbPro »

Cheap and nasty

Author: Stradale from United Kingdom
16 August 2009

I'm really not sure why this is currently clocking 8.3. I think people are having a bit a laugh. Don't get suckered in like I did on the premise it might be a hidden gem.

The setting is laid with scenes which rely heavily on scantily clad girls jiggling. The dialogue is appalling and the attempt to cement the characters as COOL is definitely going to irritate you.

When the monster action starts there are a succession of encounter scenes which simply beggar belief. Family camcorder special effects and sound effects straight from the Acme company aren't helped by a ridiculous Styrofoam alien wearing a fisherman outfit. Thankfully the cast seem too busy with the trivial aspects of their predicament to worry about the monster.

Some of the action scenes are so bad the film actually runs quite close to martyrdom as a trash movie classic but the ponderous dialogue bogs it down . You'll watch it and want it to be just that little bit more stupid so you can laugh along but it's just a boring cheap & nasty schedule filler.

It deserves a mention for the speed at which it's gone 'straight to video' but in fairness it should never have been released.

Wow!

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
4 April 2010

Alright, this was somewhat of a joke.

First the GOOD parts; well the creature wasn't too shabby when you saw the prosthetics they made for it (although the CGI animated creature sucked horribly). The male casted actors did a fairly alright job with their roles and characters (while most of the female ones were not so good).

And moving right on to the BAD parts; the story was laughable and fairly stupid. Didn't really make a whole lot of sense all together. The dialogue was halting and often ridiculous. Lots of loose ends and events that doesn't make much sense throughout the entire movie. The scenes where the creature was CGI animated were fake and painful to watch.

Anyway, based from the cover of the movie it looked to be fairly alright, but turned out to be anything but interesting. The movie might have been scary and "up to date" had it been made during the late 80's. There is a whole sense of 80's to this movie. And it doesn't work out in favor of the movie though.

"Creature of Darkness" is good for some laughs and head shakings, but don't expect to get scared. Having seen this movie, it is not one I will return to again.

Not worth anyone's time

Author: bob1701 from Canada
4 April 2010

Basically, this is a terrible movie. The acting is probably the worst part, not surprising with actors I have never heard of before. Even Devon Sawa, who I have seen in past movies and was usually an OK actor, is really bad. The dialogue is some of the most clichéd and ridiculous I have heard in a movie. In particular, the dancing scene early in the movie where the girls talk about the guys, unbelievable.

The effects in the movie are not too bad considering what I assume was a low budget. The "creature of the dark" is surprisingly good and definitely the best actor in the movie.

Not a movie I would recommend to anyone.

Watch this on television for the commercials.

Author: mrcheminee from Netherlands
4 April 2010

I'm not often writing reviews for IMDb, but since this movie is so high rated, I feel it's my duty to write something down as well.

This movie is the kind of thing you should see on television, interrupted by commercials, zapping to MTV and Jerry springer, or toilet breaks. As long as you're not trying to follow a story, this movie might be alright. But if you want to follow a story, just skip this one.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a 'terrible' movie, but it is 'terrible mediocre'. It's predictable, cheesy, shallow and amateuristic. The conversations feel unnatural and a lot of the made decisions are illogical. It annoys me when a group of people rather keeps screaming at each other than look for a constructive solution. It annoys me when somebody takes a tinkle right where an alien was blown up, while it is not sure at all whether the alien has died. It annoys me when his friends keep telling him how displeased they are with this stupid action, without looking out for the alien. It annoys me when a group of people decides to kill the alien and then don't kill the alien, but run away for his cripple, burnt remains. It annoys me when a girl shows her breasts and the camera moves up, if you're not going to show her breasts, then why would you put this in the script?

I think people should make movies out of creativity, not to just keep the industry working. I would give this thing 4 point, but since it has such high ratings, I give it a 1. Just for balance.

Alien vs the dust bowl

Author: thinkinaboutit from United States
15 April 2010

I had to sign up just to warn people about this awful movie.

This is a bunch of idiots with a dune buggy, some ATV's and dirt bikes kicking up dust and screaming; throw in an alien creature. I'm surprised no one died of silicosis in the filming!

If your looking for some cute gals running around in shorts and bikinis you'll be entertained for a few moments before you realize no one can act. Of course the horrible script and directing didn't help them. The best actor in the whole movie is the animated monster and it wasn't that good.

I realize this is a low budget film but this movie was filled with corny lines, overdone screaming and ridiculous gestures. Low budget doesn't have to be that! I felt sorry for the actors, even though most of them couldn't act, period.

Just stupid

Author: laama from Slovakia
4 April 2010

This movie was so stupid. Unbelievably horrible. CGI was extremely cheap and acting was totally lame.

Stupid alien looked a bit scary on first sight, but they repeated closeup scenes of that rubber mask very often so it just got boring. That alien was so slow during whole movie, but at the end it jumps like a whitetail deer. Also scene where alien sticked axe handle into his cutoff arm was ridiculous. It reminded me Planet terror. It was like "ROAR, I'm ugly big alien and I will slice you into pieces with my artificial axehand!" :D

The guy in with red ribbon on his head was absolutely stupid douche-bag, his role was irritating and he died first, I think director cannot stand that person too. What a moron, nobody liked him anyway, he deserved it. He just blew up two of those 4wheeled motorcycles (dunno how its called in English), and then during argue said "just shut up, I apologized for that".

Girl in white shirt deserved few face-slaps, her reactions to everything what happened freaked me out.

Everyone of these young people made so stupid decisions, like let's kill that alien from your nightmares with javelin to make you sleep peacefully again. Or let's connect these 2 old cellphones with couple of red wires to create remotely controlled bomb because alien does not like UV rays. They also ran from camp and came right back so many times ...it just made no sense.

...And whole story about abducted uncle.... just no comment.

Lame Movie

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
10 March 2013

A group of teenagers camps in an area nearby a military base. Soon they are chased by an alien that hunts them down. The disturbed Andrew (Devon Sawa), who is haunted by nightmares, recalls the words of his uncle, Major Victor Devorshak (Matt Lattimore) that was a pilot that claimed that had been abducted by an alien called The Catcher (Phil Van Tee) and ended his days in a mental institution. Andrew tells that The Catcher kills humans to stock them for the winter. Further, his uncle had advised him to never go to that area during the night, but his friend Esther had convince him to come to the place to get over his nightmares. Now they have to fight back to survive.

"Creature of Darkness" is a pathetic movie, with lame story, direction, screenplay, acting, special effects, makeup and location. I am a fan of B-movies, especially from the 50's and early 60's, and I expected that "Creature of Darkness" was this sort of movie when I bought the imported DVD. Unfortunately, the plot is and awful rip-off of "Predator", but with unpleasant characters and stupid situations. My vote is two.

Title (Brazil): Not Available (fortunately)

One of the worst films I have ever watched!

Author: i_am_rogue from Australia
15 April 2010

As well as being a film student and independent filmmaker, I like to pride myself on being a huge film buff. I'll usually watch anything, any genre, any budget, anything I can either enjoy, learn from, or hopefully both.

I must admit that sci-fi is a huge passion of mine, and so I was excited to find a title that not only had I never seen before; but it had an interesting sounding synopsis and had received some positive reviews on IMDb.

After watching this drivel I can safely say I did not enjoy one second of this movie. Not even one frame. The acting was terrible, the directing was worse, the dialogue was pathetic and nauseating, and the CGI was so bad, that anyone with at least some computer graphics skills could make similar quality effects in windows paint.

Have you ever seen a movie that was so bad, it was actually kind of good? Alas, this movie was not even one of those.

If you want to waste 80 mins of your life, plus whatever time it takes procuring this obscure indie title, then go ahead and watch this film. If not, you have been warned!

Awful Predator Ripoff

Author: JoeB131 from United States
1 July 2010

Okay, the plot line is that a guy disturbed by his uncles nightmares brings his friends out to a place outside an air force base, where apparently aliens are hunting down humans for some reason that defies explanation, other than they really notice the racial differences between our racially not all that distinct characters. I mean, really, if you wanted an Asian or an African, wouldn't you actually go to those places to get one, instead of getting folks with so much European blood in their background you can barely tell.

The alien is cheap CGI, I mean, something that would embarrass a warcraft nerd. It's reasoning seems a bit silly. If it's on a scientific mission, it certainly wouldn't act like a hillbilly butcher, would it?

Just once, I would like to see an Alien/Predator kind of film that actually defines the alien or predator in ways where you understand why it is doing what it is doing, other than being just a mindless monster the heroes have to survive...

Needs a writer and director

Author: HEFILM from French Polynesia
7 May 2010

The director, whose biography on the DVD would have you believe he's either Kubrick or Orson Welles, has credits and awards for nature shows. You know photographing animals in the wild.

Sure great, but in this case that doesn't mean he can write a scene or stage an action scene to save his, or any cute animals life.

The plot is a predator rip off deal. It's poorly shot on HD, the black levels and colors and focus are all problems from time to time.

The action scenes just don't cut together at all. Slow motion is used once in awhile for no good reason. The sound job on the movie is awful some of the stereo effects seem to come from the wrong side of the screen.

It's so poorly staged that sometimes it takes you a few scenes later on until you understand what happened in a sequence. It's sub amateur sorry to say there is no idea where to put the camera.

The one thing the movie has going for it is a cool looking creature head and hands. That is when it's a real prop, when it's a CG thing that too looks barely decent enough for a video game. But the real creature is coolly designed and nicely operated. Too bad the director and story give it nothing to do.

The movie seems to be cut to avoid nudity, the one semi nude scene is "timed" so darkly that it stands out against the rest of the night scene it is in. Profanity too is sort of mixed around the F word. Like the film was done to pass for screening on Sci Fi network ( now retartedly named Scy Fy) And is it better than the worst things on Scy Fy? Well no, it's probably just about as bad as their worst monster movies, certainly more poorly directed and photographed than many, on a writing level it's about par for the lousy course, aside from the real creature here which raises it above AZTEC REX, for example.

Has a pre credit sequence which makes no sense at all and is repeated later in the film, also seems like this was done to give is a punchy opening for Scy Fy channel.

Several endless scenes of people talking around the campfire slow down the middle and show off terrible writing and clueless acting. Early on there are several scenes to establish interpersonal conflict--which are bad and needless just makes you wish you'd never gone dirt bike riding.

Computer FX of airplanes and gunfire all really poor, music seems like same few cues from a sound library, but wait, there is a very "white" sounding rap song during the end credits.

They do drop a burning dune buggy out of the sky. There I've said everything nice I can think of. Really find one of the nature shows he directed and watch it, it might help you not want to kill the producer/writer/director before he makes you sit through another one like this. Hire the creature guys, fire the rest of them. A failure on every creative level involving the basics of movie making.