IMDb > Scenes of a Sexual Nature (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Scenes of a Sexual Nature

Scenes of a Sexual Nature More at IMDbPro »

A very intelligent and subtle film - all who took part are to be commended

Author: Keith Williamson from Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
11 April 2007

Scenes of a Sexual Nature is a very intelligent and subtle film. It is skilfully crafted, beautifully shot and with superb acting. Only the most jaded and cynical could fail to appreciate this film – the best film I have seen so far this year.

It is film that has many twists and turns, some more obvious than others, but even the obvious twists are still enjoyable. Not a lot happens in the film, the pace is slow and meandering but not so slow that ones interest is lost and it never becomes dull. The film examines the minutia of various relationships with great tenderness and wit and like they say the Devil is in the detail. It is the small things that give meaning – relationships are more often damned or celebrated because of the minutia rather than the big gestures. It is the day-to-day content that either holds relationships together or tares them apart.

This film, which in turn is offers us charm, humour, sadness and pathos, offers no great thrills, shocks or drama (one can't help wondering how many people did not see this film at the cinema because of the title or in deed how many went because of the title and were disappointed not to find what they thought they would) nor any great love story, it is not a film that paints large – more like a small water colour but like some water colours it is non-the-less beautifully painted.

All who took part are to be commended.

Uplifting!

Author: Soph from United Kingdom
9 April 2007

This is a beautifully made film, the style is original, simple, and very easy to watch. It's a short film about life and love set on Hampstead Heath, and is without a doubt one of the sweetest films made in a number of years. It has no complex plot, but is interesting and filled with many amusing anecdotes, and will make you laugh out loud at times. Filled with a very talented cast, and many familiar faces (Andrew Lincoln, and Hugh Bonneville being a few of my favourites) this movie is far from dull, and particularly easy to relate to. I have watched it numerous times, with numerous people, and have yet to find someone (male or female) who does not share my high opinion of this film. I highly recommend it to anyone.

I don't understand

Author: reddragon211981 from United States
11 March 2007

I read a lot of the reviews and comments that people here typed about this movie, i can't understand how they say it was awful etc... But that is why they say we all have different taste, i just got done watching this movie and i loved it, the movie is very touching, beautiful scenery, funny, entertaining, i read some guy in here made fun of the camera on how it was filmed etc.. ?? I have no clue why he would say that, because the camera the view all of it was perfect, this is why people should watch a movie and judge it by themselves and not always go by what people say, because you might enjoy it as much as me and my family did, the actors and actresses did an outstanding job on this film, so my advice is give it a try you will be impress

Loved it!!

Everybody needs love

Author: Ksasj from Netherlands
10 January 2007

I've seen this movie recently in the Prince Charles Cinema in London when I was visiting the place during a City Trip. I didn't know which movie was playing and the I never heard of this movie. So without any idea what the movie was about, I sit back and enjoyed the movie.

The first thing I noticed was the high amount of 'feel good movie'. Everything is sunny, the grass is always very green and everybody is smiling.

The plot isn't very spectacular, just some people who fell in love, are in love or needs love. But it's the humor what makes it special. Every character is interesting and never bores. Everyone can recognize himself in some sort of way in one of the characters.

When the movie ends, you leave with a smile. That's for sure!

A day in the park

Author: jotix100 from New York
19 December 2007

Hampstead Heath, that wonderful expanse in London is the setting for this delightful comedy. Directed with style by Ed Blum, the comedy brings some of England's most interesting actors together in a film that is as easy to take like a summer in the park with a nice breeze in the air.

We are taken to meet several people that seem to be enjoying their day, totally unconnected to one another. We meet Iris, a widow, whose reaction to Eddy, the older man that asks her if she would mind sharing her bench, is not exactly a happy one. Yet, they seem to have more in common than one could have suspected. They have met because of they have gone to the park on the wrong day.

Then, there is the young gay couple who are seen in the "Men Only" section of the park, talking about their life together and how one would stop cruising other men if they could agree in adopting a child. That proves to be wishful thinking, because when all it's said and done, the same proponent is seen trailing after a hot number to a secluded area to engage in sex, no doubt. One wonders about how realistic his expectations can be.

One of the best vignettes involves a blind date. The two people one sees seem to hit it off well, although they seem to have different opinions on what they expect from one another. There is also a funny sequence involving a couple that meets to what appear to be a happy reunion for a nice stroll, and suddenly a shock comes when she asks him for money for her fee, which has gone up in price.

All the actors in the film contribute tremendously to the enjoyment of it by acting effortlessly in this comedy that seems to be about nothing, yet it reveals a lot of inner tensions in many of the characters.

Best of all, Ewan McGregor and Douglas Hodge as the gay lovers. Eileen Atkins and Benjamin Whitrow make a perfect old couple. Gina McKee and Hugh Bonneville are effective as the couple on the blind date. Contributions by Adrian Lester, Sophie Onokedo, Polly Aird, and Polly Walker enhance the film.

Ed Blum shows a talent for creating people so different that happen to be one day in Hampstead Heath truly believable.

A bloody good British film!!

Author: tigerbaby_1984-1 from United Kingdom
5 November 2006

I went to see SOASN with some girlfriends last night and can honestly say, whatever i was expecting, it wasn't what i sat through. Having anticipated this film for a while - being a huge Ewan McGregor fan - i had read many reviews prior to seeing it for myself. I was expecting some Love Actually-esquire film. Instead, it was a unique, wholly British creation which is so beautifully moving, and exactly what the cinema needs. It has no gore, no violence, no real sex, but it doesn't need it. It doesn't use swearing for the sake of it, and it doesn't use Ewan McGregor (him being the big name) to sell the movie. It's quaint and i loved it. 10/10. I hope Ed Blum treats us to another gem soon!

'Scenes of a Sexual Nature': not a disclaimer but a joy

Author: gradyharp from United States
18 January 2008

The British have done it again - successfully shown how talent, ensemble attitude, prudent production values, and esprit de corps can result in a first class thoughtful comedy of life. A first outing for writer Aschlin Ditta and director Ed Blum, this entertaining, intelligent and beautifully wrought film is a veritable showcase of some of Britain's finest actors.

The concept is a simple one: one sunny afternoon on Hampstead Heath overlooking London the camera moves among seven couples acting out the sexual overtones of relationships. No, there is no graphic action here: it is absolutely unnecessary, so candid and intelligent is the script. The couples we meet are 1) Eileen Atkins and Benjamin Whitrow, two alone, aging characters whose proclivity for weekly visits to the same bench result in a courtship dance of sorts; 2) Andrew Lincoln and Holly Aird discussing their rather dry state of marriage as Andrew's eyes understandably caress the beautiful Eglantine Rembauville-Nicolle reading Camus nearby, causing a crack in the couple's marriage; 3) Sophie Okenedo distraught at a breakup is consoled then seduced by flippant Tom Hardy; 4) Adrian Lester and Catherine Tate are in the final paper stages of divorce, trying to overcome their feelings for their frolicking little daughter; 5) Ewan McGregor and Douglas Hodge are a gay couple contemplating adoption despite McGregor's character's wandering eye; 6) Hugh Bonneville and Catherine Tate banter the fragility of a first date over lunch and wine and distrust; and Polly Walker 'sells' her time and attentions to willing buyer Mark Strong.

The phrase on the cover of the very well made DVD states it well: 'Sex and love. Some seek it, some need it, some spurn it and some pay for it, but we're all involved in it'. In addition to the pleasure of watching these superb actors ply their trade in these small vignettes the cinematography, editing, and musical score underline the spontaneous feeling of Ditta and Blum's concept. It is a pure joy to watch - even the informative dialog in the added features that accompany this delightful DVD. Grady Harp

A 10 out of 10

Author: FlutteringButterly from United Kingdom
18 July 2007

I loved this movie so much I bought the DVD. It's a gem. I'm not surprised a lot of the actors did this film for almost no money - the script is that good.

You can make an analogy to books - this is not a novel but a book of short stories. I personally love short stories - you can almost always flesh out the characters in your imagination and make your own ending. I thought this movie was brilliant - great script and absolutely superb acting. It was a joy to watch from start to finish. This is what acting is all about, this is what movies should be about - not blue screens, endless explosions and CGI characters.

Dull. More like a sketch from the middle of a TV show than a movie

Author: bopdog from Was UK Now US
12 November 2006

There is nothing mean spirited or evil about this movie. It's just terribly dull. Dull is the photography--- the film stock appears old and faded and washed-out. Maybe it was even 16mm blown up to 35mm, dunno. Dull is the script, which is tedious and 'Jules Pfeiffer'-ish. That is, kind of 1960s bossa-nova cocktail party cool. Like our beatnik grandparents might have spoken if they were trying to appear really straight. The 'slice-of-life' characters were mostly annoying. True, they were real to life, but hey, if I wanted to see truly ordinary people doing really mundane and ordinary things, I'd just watch myself. I wouldn't trapse all the way down to a cinema and blow five quid, and an evening, watching someone else do it.

I expected a funny, bright rom-com. What I got was more like what two intelligent and moderately talented 19 or 20 year-olds might have produced on their first day with a new video camera.

I gave this a 4 out 10, because it appears that someone tried, at least.

Saw this on 'spec yesterday as I had some time to kill - wrong title

Author: chris-2085 from United Kingdom
7 November 2006

NO SPOILER!! Was at a multiplex in Sheffield on Monday (not meadow hall) and had some time to kill. This was the film that started earliest that the two of us both fancied.

Personal opinion - it does work - it is a snapshot of a place in London which is; and has been a place of sexual adventure. There are some that say the gays have taken over - not sure that's true, but I'm no homophobe, my late brother was gay and died of aids. The essence of Hamstead Heath - it is a meeting place, one that happens to be used as a place of trysts.

It is not the cleverest film in term of camera usage, but the makers had to achieve what they set out to do whilst the general public were using the heath in a normal day. I suspect the camera angles were not clever because of the public access required to the heath. Imagine trying to do the same thing as a film maker in central park N.Y. on a low budget with no official backing from the City. These guys probably faced the same problem - remember that when you watch it - it's OK to be clever when being a critic, but remember the constraints they were operating under !!! Cast is superb, it's very British, lottery funded, and the snapshots it provides into peoples lives leaves one leaving the cinema - wondering what happens afterwards - well thats what it did for me - a very British film that probably won't travel well - but WTH !! My only gripe it this - when I told my mum what I'd been to see (and I'm 50 years old) she said - You are too old for mucky films !!! This is a woman who loved Vera Drake - as an explanation of social history!! But her assumption was it was a mucky film - so quid pro quo - anyone looking for a mucky film will see that as a title (or tag-line) and go to see it and come out very very NOT HAPPY - however people like my 70 year old mum, I know would enjoy it, but not be brave enough to watch it; because the title will put her off.

So if marketing/distributing people read these comments, think of a new title - it will probably get you more exposure than you are likely to get.

That's my take on it - and it was so good I'll be watching it again - because I know I missed so many bits !!! Cheers Chris