IMDb > High School Musical (2006) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 73:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Absolutely Hideous

Author: from United States
14 July 2006

Maybe I'm just a weirdo. After reading all these other reviews, I'm pretty sure that I am. Or maybe it's just because I've been performing with musical theatre companies since I was about seven, so the idea of a musical isn't something novel and new for me. But every time I tried to watch this movie, and every time I heard somebody talk about how great it was, I just couldn't help but CRINGE. Not only was this another long shot for the young Disney stars to prove their "versatility", such as it is(n't), but it was yet another show about the magical clichés and drama of high school, something I'm getting absolutely sick of. I have to go to school every day and deal with petty high school drama; why would I want to come home and listen to people SING about it? Seriously. At least REAL musicals that used those themes, like Hairspray and Grease, had actual talent behind them, as well as good songs and actual FUN. Not a bunch of pretty-boy jocks smiling cheesily and singing about how much they love basketball. The whole production was so shallow...I still haven't been able to sit through the entire movie. I've had to watch it in sections of twenty minutes, just to be able to stand it. And something that ESPECIALLY bothered me: the representations of the people in the drama club. Dude, that teacher? "Brava"? You've got to be kidding me. And then that little drama queen and her wimpy brother...so, so cliché. I haven't met anybody like any of those three since I was, like, ten. And I know, I know: it's just a corny little Disney movie playing up the clichés. And for about half a second, characters like that might seem kinda funny. Then try going to school the next day and hear people asking you if you've ever had a director like that teacher, or asking how you can possibly be a "real" theatre person because you don't seem obnoxious enough...it gets old. This movie sucked. Why do people like it so much?

good

Author: emmad04 from United States
20 January 2006

This was a overall good movie by the Disney Channel's standards! I, being 18 years of age and sitting at home on a Friday night to watch it, am happy to say I sat through the entire thing happily! This movie is for adults and kids and also brought me back to high school even though it was only a year ago! The music brings meaning to the story and without it the movie wouldn't be complete which is why it is called High School Musical! I hope everyone who sees it enjoyed it as much as I did!! If Disney keeps up at this rate all the new actors and actress, singers and everyone will be the new product of them! Look at Hillary Duff, Lindsay Lohan, Raven, and many others! This movie has a few soon to be rising stars in it! Good job Disney!!

A Musical Delight!

Author: NikkiSweet from United States
20 January 2006

"High School Musical" was a movie that can pick you up and make you "dance". The songs were great especially "Get your head in the game". With some dance moves, the movie also added great humor,"love",and for those jocks out there BASKETBALL! The actors rocked the stage and just made the movie a teen can watch and who knows maybe one or two can relate to "Troy"(Zac Efron),"Gabriella"(Vannesa Anne Hudgens),or even "Sharpay"(Ashley Tisdale). Disney has proved itself once again as the movie magnet! Like other movies "Right on Track", "Go Figure", "High School Musical" is a great movie which you can sit with family or with friends and enjoy and you never know when you might be singing along!

Delightful

Author: shmexsay from United States
20 January 2006

'High School Musical' is definitely one of Disney channel's best original movies up to date. I've seen numerous other ones - Pixel Perfect, Twitches, Go Figure, Stuck in the Suburbs, etc. - but none of them compare to this one. Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens as Troy and Gabriella are adorable together, and their chemistry is more believable than the chemistry I see in many major motion pictures; Ashley Tisdale and Lucas Grabeel as Sharpay and Ryan are laugh-out-loud funny; and the other students, along with Troy's father and Ms Darbus, are perfect.

What really blew me away and made this movie stand out from the other Disney channel original movies, however, was the music, singing, and dancing. I loved the songs, especially 'What I've Been Looking For' as sung by Sharpay and Ryan, 'Breaking Free' by Troy and Gabriella, and Gabriella's solo, 'When There Was Me and You'. I was impressed by the vocal skills exhibited by the four main actors and actresses. The dancing sequences are also fun and well choreographed, and I loved how they were right in sync with the music.

Overall, in comparison to other Disney movies, this one is a 9/10. As a Disney channel movie, it inevitably has several flaws, the most obvious of which is the cliché, cheesy plot between the two main characters. I was also disappointed when there was no kiss between them, but that didn't really take away from the movie too much.

Whether you're a 10-year old or a 30-year old, I highly recommend seeing this sweet, funny movie.

Campy, Corny and ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL!!!!!

Author: uptownrn from United States
21 January 2006

High School Musical is one of those rare movies that makes you laugh at it's absurdity and love everything about it at the same time. The plot isn't complex, Troy meets Gabriella at a New Years Eve party, and they sing a karaoke duet together. Neither has ever sung before, and they find the experience exhilarating. After midnight, when they almost kiss, Gabriella runs away, but not after exchanging phone numbers with Troy. A few days later, Troy returns to school, where he is the star basketball player, just before the "big game." Also about to occur, casting for the school's "winter musicale." This is where we meet Sharpay and Ryan Evans, a brother and sister musical star team. It is soon revealed that Gabriella is a new student at Troy's school. After a lot of deliberation, Gabriella and Troy audition for the musical, much to Sharpay's, and their friends', dismay. I won't divulge how, but all end up happy, and celebrate in a fantastic closing song "We're all in this together!"

It's the simplicity of the movie that makes it so wonderful. As a fan of musical theater and an amateur performer (I played Mrs. Paroo this fall in The Music Man! HEHE!) I loved every moment of this film. It is the essence of musical theater, parts of it were corny and over acted, but go to see any show on Broadway and you'll notice the same, it's a characteristic of musical theater. Other parts were heartfelt and lovely, without being overly sentimental. The music was beautiful and well sung overall. The actors didn't necessarily have the best voices, but they were all fully suited to their roles. Especially the girls. Ashley Tisdale is perfect as dive Sharpay. Any one who has been in a high school show recognizes this girl, there's one in every school. Vannessa Anne Hudgens is lovely as shy, intelligent Gabriella. She is practical and grounded but can't help wanting to do something as seemingly frivolous as singing in the school show and fall for the popular jock. The first time you see her smile you realize how adorable she is.

High School Musical is definitely worth watching. If you're a fan of musicals you're sure to enjoy it.

Can our current generation handle such cheeriness?

Author: missmessabout from Australia
1 July 2006

(SPOILERS of ending, kinda...) It's just so…. Disney! And yes, I spit that word out with more than a small measure of contempt. Featuring that wholesome, straight-to-video nonsense we've come to expect from the Olsen twins, "High School Musical" is an impossible blend of the following:

Attractive, talented, athletic and brainy teens who learn their own lessons in acceptance and find a way to cross the boundaries of high school politics.

The villainous, Uber-competitive Ryan siblings, Sharpey & Ryan: They clearly have years of training, parental support and funding. And yet they still live in Albuquerque? Their stage-mom never moved them to LA to get them into toothpaste commercials?

Singing voice-over doubles for… how many of the cast? At least movies like Centre Stage, when choosing between actors who could dance or dancers who could act, opted for the latter.

Intelligent "nerd" characters with gorgeous faces and hip clothing. As a former high school nerd myself I say "since when?!"

Ms Darbus, the musical producer, who just wishes she was Glenn Close. Better luck next time, casting directors.

Finally, the mega happy ending, where even the villains show their human side and join in the congratulations and celebrations with the "goodies". Am I too cynical in remembering that even the villains of "Home Alone" got smacked in the faces with steel pipes a few times to get their come-uppance? At least in the 70s, cheery musicals with happy endings (Grease) were cool. Welcome to the Naughties, where they are not.

What is wrong with today's youth?

Author: bradme from United States
15 July 2006

It seems all these pre-teen girls are loving this movie trampling each other to get a copy of the DVD.

Why!? The movie was terrible! The music, the singing, the lyrics to the songs, the general writing and the old kiddy movie "We were mean to you but now we're sorry" act! I understand this is a kids movie but it doesn't have to be so cliché and terrible! Zack Effron...if I here that name one more time I will go insane. "Oooh he's so cuuuuute!" ENOUGH! He may be "cute" but his acting sucks! And he lyp synched the whole time. Check the trivia for this movie.

We get the stereotypical dumb guy from the stereotypical mean girl's brother. We get the cheesy love story that works out in the end through the most cliché ways.

Overall, bad singing, cheesy story, bad script, bad acting. The only way I would See this movie is if you paid me...Lots of money.

Oh it was excellent!

Author: lyrischertenor from United States (College Park, MD)
21 January 2006

It was just sooooo great! So much fun, too!! It's like every high school musical theater junkie's dream. Everyone was just excellent and the directing was superb. And I love the message this movie sends to young minds, that you explore other facets of expression other than the one that's socially acceptable. And I love the little undertones and subtleties throughout the film. And I love how all the tough mean hard guys are CLEARLY dancers in real life. I was muy impressed!! Everything and everyone was perfect. From the clothes, casting, choreography, sets.... it all looks like a dream. And in beautiful clear New Mexico. Who could want anything more!

To all those HSM fans out there!

Author: scubabill88 from United States
22 May 2006

Dear fans of HSM,

I would like to tell you to please refrain from telling me how much you like the musical or talking about the show when I am in the same room. You are probably wondering why I ask this, well I'll tell you. I HATE HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL! Now before you decide to not read this blog just listen to the major things that were wrong with this so called "musical". First off, it wasn't a musical in a sense that the songs were too "poppy" for it to be a musical. It should have been called High School Popical. I know it sounds corny but it's the truth. I have seen and been in many musicals and never have the songs that I have heard sounded like the ones in HSM. This brings me to my next point, the singing. Gabriella, a.k.a. Vanessa Anne Hudgens, had a weird voice that just plain out annoyed me. Sharpay, a.k.a. Ashley Tisdale, had such a bad voice that in the song "What I've Been Looking For" her brother Ryan, a.k.a. Lucas Grabeel, had to sing higher than her so that you wouldn't have to hear her sing. In almost all duets between a girl and a guy, the girl usually sings the higher part. The worst of them all was Troy, a.k.a. Zac Efron. Why do I say this? Because he was DUBBED!!! Zac would sing the first two lines in each song and magically his voice would change. If you don't believe me then listen closely to "Breaking Free". 27 seconds into the song his voice changes from terrible to good. In the credits on IMDb.com they had credited the singer that actually sang the songs but don't go to check now because his name has been taken out of the credits. Disney payed the people at IMDb to take his name out of the credits to cover it up. That is why on the soundtrack it says that Troy sang it because if they put the singer's names legally they would have to put Andrew Seeley's name on it. Now on IMDb, Andrew Seeley, the voice of Troy, is only credited for writing the song "Getcha Head In The Game". I hated how the brother, Ryan, had to be gay. Not all actors are gay, including myself, and Disney just had to put on more stereotypes of stage actors. To Disney, all stage actors are gay, have crazy directors, have huge egos (that's true for some people but not all), are the most feared in the school, and make a huge deal about auditions. Auditions last three days normally but in HSM they lasted forever! Also the plot was borderline retarded! In the end Troy got to win the championships and get the lead in the show. That's just Disney making the impossible work in the end. That could never happen in real life. In fact basketball player's can't even sing. If you don't believe me check out Shaq's album. And the star basketball player was only 5'10", that's pretty stupid. Also I have been to Albuquerque and it is a lot dirtier in real life than it is in the movie. Well now that you know the facts please consider not buying the DVD because Disney will make more of these filth ridden movies in the future and that's the last thing I need.

-Theodore Roosevlt

This movie was hideous.

Author: hadertjou12 from United States
22 May 2006

I can understand The Disney Channel when they try to aim toward a children's audience but when I have to listen to the awfully fake singing that is blasting from my younger sister's room as they play the movie constantly, it begins to irritate. One day, I decided to give Disney a chance by actually bearing to watch the movie. Right as it started I began to feel embarrassed for the ACTORS! It was some of the worst acting and singing I have ever heard. I tried my hardest to sit in on the whole thing until it went to the cafeteria scene (if you could call it a cafeteria, more like a Chucky Cheese cruise-liner dining room). I started laughing not because of their failure at being funny, but just how annoying the song was! I immediately turned off the TV and kept laughing. I say that Disney should stick to it's roots and stop airing shows that include ONLY high-schoolers when the viewers are between ages 4 and 12. The messages these shows are giving are either giving children the wrong idea or just going right over their heads. A 1 out of 10.

Page 1 of 73:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]