IMDb > Try Me (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Try Me More at IMDbPro »Essaye-moi (original title)

Blend of absurd and romance - nice comedy

Author: disbonjourateslapins from France
20 March 2006

Pierre François Martin-Laval (Pef) is a member of the famous theater/TV company Les Robins des Bois, known for great TV highlights ("L'instant Norvégien des Robins des Bois") and artistic bombing with their first picture "Rrrrrrr". Pef's comedy is a blend of sheer absurdity and childish references and that makes him a very particular character during the whole movie. He plays Yves-Marie a french cosmonaut (sic) who returns see his childhood love Jacqueline 24 years after she promised him that she'd marry him after he'd have travel in space.

Jacqueline, the girl turned woman Julie Depardieu is obviously speechless, while she's supposed to get married with Vincent (Kad Merad) in a few days. Yves-Marie suggests Jacqueline that if we try pants and cars before we buy them, she can "try" him for 24 hours.

The plot is original and funny and the movie offers funny appearances like Pierre Richard's, godfather of Pef's sense of humor based on clumsiness. Unfortunately, even if the movie is based on this nice plot, the gets lost in it after its two first thirds, hardly driving towards its expected happy ending. The movie's still worth to be seen, as I think that Pef may become one of the most original comedy writers in France.

More than a Comedy a Critic to distorted values

Author: cosmicprinciples from GGH
6 August 2015

Essaye-moi is a re-lecture of Romeo and Juliet.

A critic to the emptiness that the American Way of life leads people with filling their lives with material things instead of values, of people.

To be or not to be? To have or to be? Materialism x to be? Another great french movie, but in order to be understood details have to be interpreted, such as the beautifully and all nice neighbourhood and the fragility of the houses made of almost cardboard versus the rock house and ludicrous ambiance from where the cosmonaut comes from where the word is important.

The old car, and the characters, with values versus the new car and no values.

a too silly feel good movie for me

Author: Lilie Vitra from Ireland
12 January 2007

I don't know why, I didn't except it to be so absurd. Somehow, I thought it will be a feel good movie, a romantic comedy, but with style and wit. Nothing ! Julie's character is pathetically down to earth and boring. Strangely enough, I don't know if it is because she is only offered that type of role and if she is willing to do those roles, but Julie Depardieu seems to be playing a lot of those dumb blonde characters, which is a bit boring after a while, like in " you and me ". To go back to the movie, even though the character of Pierre Francois is " nice enough", at least, his character deserves credit for thinking " outside the box " and be original. But the whole story line is just silly and full of clichés...really disappointing.