IMDb > ...Yahaan (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

...Yahaan More at IMDbPro »

Finally a realistic movie on Kashmir

Author: vikrammahad from United States
28 September 2005

Yahaan is a wonderful movie. Actually shot in Kashmir, the movie brings to life what the locals and the Indian armed forces go through everyday. The director has done a wonderful job and so has the cast. Especially Minissha Lamba and Jimmy Shergill. After Maachis and Haasil, Jimmy proves yet again how fine an actor he is. The music by Shantanu Moitra and lyrics by Gulzar come together to create a soothing effect. The result is a wonderful music album. The songs do not interrupt the flow of the movie, rather they act as a powerful medium for the director to express what he had in mind. We can expect more high quality cinema from Shoojit Sircar in the future. In Yahaan he has shown us the humane side of the Indian armed forces and the commendable job they are doing while putting their lives on the line.

Wonderfully done

Author: folkpoet80 from USA
3 November 2005

This was the only movie after ROJA that addressed the Kashmir issue in a real manner, and being from Kashmir, I could feel it. Jimmy again proves that even though he is not working with big names, he has caliber. I have seen him in Maachis, cameo in Munnabhai, and Kehtaa Hai Dil Baar Baar. He is a good actor. I've read that Lead actress didn't act well, but I thought she did a very good job for a newcomer. Her accent, although was not kashmiri in any sense, still carried weight. Her interview scene was really moving and showed her talents well. Mukesh (Shaqeel) did his part well, and so did the others. The little mute girl was outstanding in her expressions. The only con would be that there was not a single actor who had Kashmiri accent. Not even bystanders, or anyone from the general public. The director should have taken at least one native to make the movie touch its ground. Music was serene and flowed well with the story. Ending song (which probably was the same as the one before) had a good melody and I could play it on Guitar easily. Overall, a clean movie - which sends the message out loud. Guns can only bring blood. I hope peace would have its chance somewhere along the line. 9/10

Here it is...

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
4 July 2008

Shoojit Sircar's 'Yahaan' is a love story set against the backdrop of Kashmir during the ongoing war. But it's not a conventional love and war story. Sircar brings a freshness, both in telling the story and executing the film. He gives it a bluish tint (the film's not entirely in colour) which gives it a stark look. The camera is also used effectively, sometimes shaky (during the shootout sequences) and sometimes static.

The songs and background score are beautiful. I loved hearing the violin and the eastern flute play in the background. Shantanu Moitra's soundtrack is one to keep. I particularly love the song 'Naam Adaa Likhna'.

Jimmy Shergill leads 'Yahaan'. Finally he has a lead role in a substantial film and he does a superb job. Minisha Lamba has a strong screen presence. For a newcomer she does quite well in bringing out Ada's enigma, vulnerability, courage and strength. Both actors share a warm chemistry. The supporting cast is okay but Yashpal Sharma is a bit irritating at times.

Furthermore, another thing I liked about 'Yahaan' is that Sircar is sincere in his story. There's no hidden agenda, no Hindu v/s Muslim hatred. Nor is it overly preachy. It's about two people in Kashmir who fall in love and about the people of Kashmir. Recommended.

Fantastic film!

Author: AishFan from San Jose, CA, US
26 December 2005

Yahaan takes a realistic look at love in Kashmir, heaven turned into hell. It does a good job of showing the innocence of Adaa and her family in stark contrast to the heartbreaks that occur everyday in war-torn Kashmir. Jimmy Shergill, a soldier with a big heart, comes and falls in love with Adaa. Their romance is portrayed very aesthetically. It is interesting to see how Jimmy and Adaa switch roles. The first half of the film is shown through Jimmy's point of view, while the second half has Adaa adopting the role of the protagonist. Some symbols are interesting such as jeans ("Do they wear jeans in Mumbai?"), which symbolize freedom. Photography is absolutely stunning as each frame does an excellent job of capturing the intense emotions of the characters and suffocating atmosphere of Kashmir. This film has several very poignant scenes.

Highly recommended

Author: atindra from Israel
2 November 2006

An excellent movie. Its pathetic that public goes gaga over silly SRK movies and doing injustice to fine movies like Yahaan. Minisha is great for her debut and Jimmy is quite charming. Very good music. I love song "Naam Ada likhna" is in class of Machis. Very nice story and screenplay. I found this movie's DVD at one of the Public library in USA and was surprised. The librarian told me that some Indian reader recommended this movie and they just ordered it. It was a treat to watch this movie. My wife liked it too. A very simple but heart touching love story going swiftly. Cinematography is superb and takes you to Kashmir.

An inspiring Tale of a Kashmiri girl and an Indian soldier.

Author: psychoticabdullah from -
21 August 2005

At first when i heard of Yahaan, I thought it would just be a lame love story based based on the typical Indian style, but after seeing the movie i don't think i can say that. The location of the movie well suits the story, and it has been filmographed very well. The stars acted very well and the story line was also well paced. It does not only shows romance but also the current situations of Kashmir, torn by rivalry by both the countries India and Pakistan. The dialogues are good and it is and inspiring love story. The songs in particular are also very very good and suit the story line perfectly. Unlike most of the movies i enjoyed this movie a lot!

Fabulous Movie

Author: Cool Dude from India
14 October 2005

Yahaan is a very refreshing movie. Out of the stereotypes. Shoojit Sircar must be commended for taking care that the actors don't go overboard with their emotions and play within the limit of characters. Another beautiful aspect is the picturisation.

Our Kashmir looks beautiful than Europe which it is anyways but the camera-work and picturisation has been done artistically.

I think it is a sign that Indian directors are going for sensible movies rather than meaningless movies with overdose of sentiments and melodrama.

All the actors have played their role within their limits. Minisha is a refreshing face. Jimmy Shergill looks good and fits the bill to perfection. The young brigade of directors Shoojit Sircar, Farhan Akhtar, Madhur Bhandarkar, Ashutosh Gowariker ... are showing the way by providing some quality entertainment......

Wonderful!!!! Outstanding!!! A Standing Ovation

Author: haninaqvi from Pakistan
20 October 2007

No Doubt its a Movie to Watch out. I Nearly Cried in the End!

A Fine Debut for Minisha Lamba, i would rate her 10/10 for her role in this Venture.

The Direction is Great Shoojit Sircar!! A Standing Ovation.

Though the Film was Low Budget it Still Touched People Hearts! The Movie was Really Inspiring, A Beautiful Story about a KASHMIRI GIRL and an Indian SOLDIER.

I just can't Tell it here You Have to watch the Film

My Stats on the Film is

Direction: I would say 9/10 Editing: I did find some mistakes but rather good say 6/10 Cinematography: 7/10 Acting: 10/10 Music: Great Composition 8/10 The Movie Rating: On the Whole 10/10

Excellent Movie.

Those of you who haven't Watched it and those of you who are Light Hearted Go See this Movie!!!

good visuals

Author: sandhirflora from India
25 September 2005

Want to visit real Kashmir and not tourist Kashmir then here is a sensible film The look of the film is undoubtedly impressive and it become its USP. Adfilm-maker turn film director Shoojit Sircar made a landmark debut by handling a touching subject of Terrorism in Kashmir with a love story woven into it with freshness and finesse. The breathtaking visuals, the locations, the costumes, the dialect, the local flavor, the action sequences, the premise, the background, the ambiance everything is apt and it scores in all the technical Dept. All this manages to give film a different, an authentic look. Homework is good so is the effort. Full marks to Cinematographer Jakob Ihre, Editor Shekhar, Art director Keshto-Mustafa, Audio mixing engineer Ajay Kumar. Not just that even Gulzar-Shantanu Moitra in good form with songs such as "Poochhe jo koi meri nishani". It is definitely one of the best films released so far this year but it could have been a memorable film if it is matched equally with content. When the plot and characters have to operate within the parameters of commercial cinema, the narrative falters. Thanks to weak storyline, the pace slackens especially post-interval so much that as the film approaches its climax, things go helter-skelter. The result- it does not add any new dimension to the terrorism-stuck Kashmir but again this can be argued as it is used as a backdrop. Even love story comes out is quite a common one, not unconventional in today times when audience is dying to see that uncharted territory. Hence, it does not rise above a regular bollywood pot-boiler content wise with very little surprises. Now some loopholes- Why Capt. Verma (protagonist) does not try to prove his innocence when he is implicated in treason? When Adaa (heroine) writes to PM about her woes and a TV channel is ready to take up her cause, what purpose it solves towards climax is not very clear. Adaa mentions to Aman while giving him bidis that she overheard the conversation between him and her Dadi, how can she do so when she must be at least at a distance of twenty plus feet at that time. Why Adaa's brother starts taking innocent lives, when earlier he was against it, is also not covered well. One can see only a bunch of terrorists who are representing the Kashmir's voice and all this looks at Kashmir problems in a very simplistic way without going into intricacies. The characters look uni-dimensional. The required drama and conflict towards end is missing and so is the build up in the love-story with the absence of those tender, warm, magical moments. Among the actors, Jimmy Shergill has done well whereas others are just effective. Never mind all this, at least it provides a much relief and required break from all that nonsense cinema we are generally subjected to these days. Definitely, worth a watch.

Awesome Movie

Author: innocentguy80 from United States
11 September 2005

At first i thought ...it'll be a typical Bollywood love story ...but Sorjit Sircor definitely has talent. and that he shows in his movie.

I should really tell about Jimmy Shergill ( The most underrated actor in Bollywood), he is a wonderful actor, and he proves that again , the role seems to suit him well, he has played it superbly. Minissha has done a nice job , she is uncomfortable in few scenes though . but overall performance is good. on screen chemistry between Jimmy and Minissha is wonderful , and you have to see it to believe me. I am definitely counting myself among jimmy's fans after watching this movie . Gulzar rocks again with wonderful songs .i just love his songs , one will feel listening to them again and again . Sherya is awesome, she has got a beautiful voice and i guess she is the next big thing in Bollywood.