IMDb > A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints
Page 8 of 10: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Gripping street struggle in the heart of Queens.

Author: Thomas Gill (t6tommy@aol.com) from United States
11 February 2008

Loved the movie and related to almost every character portrayed in it. I Agree with others that Channing Tatum who played Antonio was the finest of a cast of superb actors.

The movie is about escaping your environment or being swallowed up by it. Violence and racial tension were everyday components of this section of Queens in the 80's. Most of the time, people will not leave what is familiar to them. They grow comfortable with their surroundings, regardless of the destruction that goes on around them.

The hero of this film does leave. He goes to California and becomes apparently a successful writer. He doesn't return to Queens until nearly two decades later, to make peace with his ailing father. He also pays a visit to the penitentiary to visit his childhood friend Antonio.

If you like tough street kids coming of age movies, you must watch this one. If its not a classic, it certainly should be considered as one.

Surprisingly Very Good

Author: Michael Margetis (pmargetis@cox.net) from United States
21 November 2007

Dito: In the end - just like I said - I left everything, and everyone. But no one, no one has ever left me.

The story isn't groundbreaking or original, but it's well-written and interesting through-out. the acting is absolutely brilliant, everyone involved gives a first-rate performance. The biggest surprise is that the two best performances of the film co...(read more)me from Shia LeBeouf and Channing Tatum. Tatum is frightening as the incredibly racist and violent Antonio, and Shia LeBeouf gives what is without a doubt his best screen performance to date as Dito, the main character. I've always appreciated LeBeouf as an actor, but hated the films he was in. Holes, Battle of Shaker Heights, Disturbia? Come on, he's better than that! I recommend it if you don't mind kind of a sad but painfully realistic story and the f-word being spewed every three seconds. Literally, I don't think I've ever seen a movie with the f-word used as pervasively as it was in this. Grade: B+

A surprise that blew me away

Author: shalevroy from United Kingdom
11 November 2007

Well...I picked up this film by accident in the DVD rentals. Never heard of it, didn't really feel like watching it, popped it in the DVD machine and BAM!!! I was blown away...

It's been so many years since I last enjoyed Robrt Downey Jr. in a movie that knowing he was in this film gave me all the more reasons to expect another flop.

But from the "get go" Robert was back to his best form as the older "Dito" and along with the rest of the perfectly selected cast they deliver the atmosphere, the sounds, the feel and almost the smell of Astoria N.Y in the 80's.

The most outstanding of the cast for me would have to be Chazz Palminteri, "Dito's" father. his portrayal of the very lonely, very simple and highly affectionate "Monty" is nothing short of brilliant.

A very dynamic, very rattling great movie, well worth your time!

Impressive Performances, Read the Book

Author: red980086147 (red980086147@sbcglobal.net) from United States
16 July 2007

Yeah, yeah, the book is always better than the movie, but in this case, it cannot be stated enough. While I think this was a pretty good film, go out and read the book. The movie is full of so many great performances, Shia was wonderful, Eric Roberts had a very small but breathtaking role at the end, but I think the breakout star is Channing Tatum, who is an absolutely heartbreaking revelation to watch. Channing Tatum should be in everything, Period. His performance affected me deeply. It is so rare to see a person with such incredible looks capable of displaying such dramatic range. Check this out to see the real talents of young Hollywood and don't forget to get down to the library or the bookstore to pick the book up.

Worth a rental for fans of drama

Author: DJJOEINC from Virginia Beach
29 May 2007

A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints - Semi-autobiographical story of an author coming home for the first time in 15 years.Robert Downey,Jr. is the star of this movie that utilizes flashbacks and several other devices to capture the vibe of of nostalgia and grief that accompanies a hard homecoming.Featuring an excellent cast and some raw stories from Astoria,Queens in 1985 this movie mixes comedy with some truly haunting and touching moments.Rosario Dawson,Chazz Palmentari,Diane Wiest and others round out the superb ensemble.The DVD has commentary by the writer/director,deleted scenes and a making of featurette.Solid inner city drama. B+

Guide me

Author: verucassalt666 from United States
18 May 2007

This movie took me back to my youth and some of the people I grew up with. I thought the performances and writing were very honest and raw. The directing was also something to watch for. Hope to see more from him.

Of course, anything with Downey is GREAT, but the supporting actors really stood out. It was great to see Chaz back in New York (gotta love A Bronx Tale/Bullets Over Broadway) and it was VERY nice to see him not playing a gangster. I love seeing him getting these type of roles or other roles such as Hurly Burly. tremendous actor who should be allowed by studios and execs to step outside the box. When he does he proves himself every time.

The young actors were all great and we'll be seeing them very soon and for a long time.

Thanks for such an honest and touching movie.

Everythin is so right in this film!

Author: Baris Sentuna from Turkey
19 April 2007

That is a perfect film to recognize from various aspects. The first aspect is the story. What a story. This is a real warm analysis of the suburbs. The second aspect in this film is the editing. Perfect editing. Great cinematography. Another aspect is the characters. Characters the father, the mother, Antonio, all drawn so really so inside so unbelievable. I felt so warm in this great move forgot about the Hollywood lights and just smell those streets. The story is much more the same in all over the world. The man who leaves makes a coming back, to the memories he all got, not only the dead ones but the living as well. Perfect film. 10 out of 10

Should I stay or should I go!?

Author: ot_lowrider from Serbia
8 April 2007

I enjoyed this movie... very much... but Im sitting here and cant figure out why! Story isn't something special. Im a big fan of true stories and I love all movies about "great" people... This is true story, but nothing important. Maybe thats the reason why I liked this movie! Story about a boy Dito, growing up between "dirty" streets of Queens. Maybe this movie for someone from Beverly Hills is a big deal... but I've grew up in pretty same neighborhood, and thats, probably, also a reason while i like this movie that much. You have a violent friend who's always making trouble, long nights spent just sitting on the corner, first love on stairs, friend who died for nothing... not enough cash and big dreams of getting out of it. Great acting, more than I expected. I'm not such a fan of Robert Downey Jr. but I liked "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" and I think that this is, not that big role, but also very good one. Also Dito Montiel (real one) was a writer and directed story bout himself. That could be a tricky for anyone. I would be too emotional probably, but Dito was really good. And you must have on mind that this was his first time. So... Bravo Dito! I like the scenes of Queens in late 70's. Part of living and being left has a good point, and that keep me thinking after movie. So...every movie that makes you think! after it must be a good one. I definitely recommend this movie from everyone no matter where you come from! ...there is a quote from one movie thats say "or you leave and forget everyone, or you stay and get f**ked!"

(sorry on my bad English)

Violent and Moving

Author: Conall Jones from Germany
1 April 2007

I've been wanting to see this film for the last year. Without any wide release, I had to wait for a film festival to screen it. It is an amazing achievement for first time director Dito Mantiel. The story is so raw and heart wrenching that if it weren't actually true I would call it overly melodramatic. His portrayal of 1980's New York is so full of live and death that you fear for every step that these kids take down the street. Performances by all of the cast are extremely powerful, especially Channing Tatum who can barely be contained on screen. These kids are forced to become adults so fast that they have no choice but to stomp on each other, die or break away. By the end of the film it's no wonder why Dito made the heart breaking decision to leave all of it behind.

Staggering

Author: andrewtoribio from United States
20 February 2007

This is one of the best films I've seen in years. I can't even remember the last time I left a movie feeling this way. I sat around for an hour afterward reflecting on what I had just experienced. My life is nothing even remotely close to what was portrayed but I left it feeling like it was my own.

A powerfully moving film with performances that are nothing short of brilliant. It's actually very hard to believe that this is a debut for the director. I'm looking forward to great things from him. It's really a shame that this film doesn't have the credit it deserves.

This is a MUST SEE!