IMDb > WCW Spring Stampede (1997) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

WCW Spring Stampede (TV) More at IMDbPro »

It looked so good on paper...

Author: callanvass from victoria b.c canada
16 July 2016

Live from Tupelo, Mississippi

Attendance: 8,356

Your commentators are Tony Schiavone, Dusty Rhodes & Bobby Heenan

Rey Mysterio Jr. Vs The Ultimo Dragon

Mysterio wins with a huricanrana. This isn't one of their best matches. Something just felt off between the two this time. The slow start didn't help matters. All criticism aside, it's still a pretty good match.

***1/4

Scott Steiner gets sprayed with mace right in the eyes after trying to get at Kevin Nash in his locker room.

Women's Championship

Akira Hokuto (C) (W/Sonny Onoo) Vs Madusa

Hokuto retains after Luna Vachon runs out and costs Madusa the match. This was a pretty ugly match for the ladies. Madusa's tenure in WCW pales in comparison to her run as Alundra Blayze in the WWF.

*1/4

Television Championship

Prince Iaukea (C) Vs Steven Regal

Prince Iaukea retains the title with a surprise roll-up. Steven Regal viciously attacks Iaukea after the match. This match was kinda boring. It didn't help that I had no interest in it, and neither did the fans.

*1/2

Ric Flair is out for an interview. Flair endorses Chris Beniot, Steve McMichael, and Jeff Jarrett heavily. Flair says Kevin Greene got a release from the Carolina Panthers to wrestle in WCW. He says when he returns to action at Slamboree on May 18 in Charlotte, NC, he's gonna challenge the nWo to a fight. He also says he wants to beat up Eric Bischoff with one arm tied behind his back.

Jeff Jarrett & Steve McMichael (W/Debra) Vs Public Enemy

Public Enemy wins after cheating by using the briefcase on Jeff Jarrett. This is pretty much what I expected. There was a bunch of chaos in this match, but it wasn't all that exciting. I'd call this match average.

Harlem Heat cut a backstage promo on the four corners match tonight. It's mainly notable for Booker T's infamous line of "Hulk Hogan, we coming for you nigga!"

United States Championship

Dean Malenko (C) Vs Chris Beniot (W/Woman)

Malenko wins by DQ, Not only was this match somewhat disappointing, but it's WAY overbooked. There were far too many interference's in this match. Arn Anderson, Jacqueline, Eddie Guerrero, Kevin Sullivan, and Jimmy Hart interfered. Too many rest holds bog this match down.

**3/4

World Tag Team Championship

Kevin Nash (C) (W/Ted Dibiase, Nick Patrick & Syxx) Vs Rick Steiner

Scott Steiner got arrested earlier in the show and Scott Hall is absent. This is a single's match. Nash wins with a jackknife. Steiner got in some offense, but Nash mostly dominated this match. This wasn't very good.

Four Corners Match

The Giant Vs Lex Luger Vs Harlem Heat

The winner gets a shot at Hollywood Hogan down the road. Lex Luger wins after he makes Stevie Ray submit with the Torture Rack. This was a boring match that seemed a lot longer than it was. I expected mediocrity and that's exactly what I got.

*1/2

No Disqualification Match

"Macho Man" Randy Savage (W/Elizabeth) Vs Diamond Dallas Paige (W/Kimberly)

DDP wins with the Diamond Cutter. After the match, a lot of turmoil commences. Nash jackknifed the referee, Nick Patrick. Savage is about to slap Kimberly, but Eric Bischoff stops him. Savage shoves him down and chaos erupts within the nWo. Not quite as good as I'd hoped, but this was a solid main event for the most part. It was fairly violent for a WCW match and both did enough to make this entertaining.

***

This PPV was disappointing. I had such high hopes for it and I was let down big time. This is one of those events that look great on paper, but that's it.

That was average PPV, but Page finally get big PPV victory.

Author: amanwhorocks from Czech Republic
4 March 2014

1. Ultimate Dragon Vs. Rey Mysterio Jr. - Ending Hurricanrana was great! 8/10

2. WCW Women Title Match: Madusa Vs. Champ- Alira Hokuto 6/10

3. WCW TV Title Match: Lord Steven Regal Vs. Champ-Prince Iaukea - Iaukea was really weak TV Champ. 6.5/10

4. Public Enemy Vs. Jeff Jarrett/Steve McMichael - How anybody could make Jarrett and Mongo face I don't get. For let the PE win 6/10

5. WCW U.S. Heavyweight Title Match: Chris Benoit Vs. Champ-Dean Malenko - Too technical match, all the time holds, but Benoit's got strength. - Strange overbooked and DQ ending. 7/10

6. Kevin Nash Vs. Rick Steiner - Strange was kick-out from Jacknife Powerbomb and Steiner's bulldog. Nash was great heel in the end, his own team was shocked :) 6/10

7. Four Corner Match: Lex Luger/Giant Vs. Harlem Heat - Giant let Luger win. 6.5/10

8. Randy Savage Vs. Diamond Dallas Page - Wow, I was surprised, Page won by Diamond Cutter! Savage want to slap Kimberly, Bischoff stopped him and then Savage attacked him. Rain in the NWO Eden! 8/10