IMDb > The Ron Clark Story (2006) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

A must see...

Author: Apache Indian from India
23 March 2008

OK, so you might have seen such movies before too, but tell you what, this one will be right at the top among them for sure. Reasons: 1) The storyline and subplots are excellent, i mean the way the story is handled, it is extremely feel good type... 2)Being a true story just adds to the cool factor, the moments are actually as if you are living them yourself. This is actually a must see movie. What more, if it hadn't been a "TV movie", i am pretty sure it might have fetched some Oscars too. Have to praise Matthew Perry too, i have been among his fans, but still have to say that he gave a performance beyond my expectations. Now i can say that Matthew Perry can and has come out of Chandler Bing's aura. Get hold of it as soon as you can, assure you, you don't wanna miss this one..!!

inspirational movie

Author: thindi31 from United States
7 November 2007

I enjoyed seeing Matthew Perry in a different role but most of all enjoyed watching a story of a man who wouldn't give up on kids, even though tempted. I understand since I have been an educator for 30 years. I was uncertain of some of the methods used but it was not a movie to teach one how to teach (posting those authoritarian rules is a fast way to turn kids off) .. it was a movie about a man who was very dedicated and certain that he could teach some tough kids. As a biographical movie I enjoyed it a lot. No matter the methods, kids know who truly cares about them and who is there just to move on or just do a job. The bonus materials of interviews with Mr. Clark himself and with Matthew Perry were enjoyable. Mr. Clark is quite energetic to say the least and very emotionally invested in getting kids education and I applaud that. Some criticize Perry in this role but I felt he communicated the dedication and desire to reach the kids. It is good use of time unlike many movies out there!

The Movie is great but do not miss the interviews w/Ron

Author: dkepes from United States
28 December 2006

I thought Matthew Perry was very good in his role and I loved the story and the portrayal of it but unlike my wife I had not seen Ron Clark on Oprah. So when she started to insist that we watch the special features on the CD, I was ready to go off and do some other chores. 30 seconds into the first interview with Ron on the special features I was suddenly aware of the true depth of this story.

The incredible passion that Ron exudes about teaching and just about life, is an inspiration to anyone. I have begun to make his story and his interviews part of the training which I provide to new employees in my business and also recommend it to young adults beginning their working life. The message Ron delivers is about living life with a deep passion. If we are go into each day with anything that approaches this man's dedication and enthusiasm, the odds for success are huge.

Ron Clark is a wonderful example to us all, no matter what we do each day, as to how we could live if we chose to.

Where to find the movie

Author: bryankraft89 from United States
18 August 2006

I thought this movie was great. It really kept you on the edge of your seat. I thought "Chandler," from friends was a great person to pick for this role. Talk about being in the right place at the right time, wow. This is a movie for all ages, OK well maybe not babies. I can not believe how the kids acted in school. I don't know about you but if I acted like that I would get a stick to the hand. I guess I just really liked this movie. I am not a big fan of these types of movies but this one was awesome. I was wondering where I would be able to buy this show so I could watch it whenever I wanted to?? If anyone knows please let me know.

Great movie!

Author: amymilam from United States
16 August 2006

I watched the movie on Sunday night. I watched it all 3 times it was on. I like it THAT well! I have never watched any movie more that twice. I found it to be a very inspirational story.

The movie is about a teacher, Ron Clark, who grew up in NC. He felt called to teach in NY after seeing a TV program showing the need for good, qualifed teachers there. So, he went there and tried to get a job. He had difficulty at first and ended up waiting tables for a while and lived at the YMCA.

After a short while he got a job at a Public School in a rough neighborhood teaching the "problem" children with the lowest scores of the grade. At first he was despised by the students and their families. He was very strict, but very caring. He went out of his way to get to know his pupils, even going so far as to visit their homes to see what kind of home lives they had and to meet their parents to ask for their support.

Some parents felt this was very intusive and were uncooperative. He earned the trust and respect of his students and won them over with love. He led them to success and at the end of the year, these "problem" students with the lowest scores in the school, got higher scores on the standardized tests than the gifted students! This was a very moving and uplifting movie. It is so refreshinga to know that it is a true story and that are people like Ron Clark left in the world. It actually made me wish I were a teacher so that I could help change lives of children and make a differance on the same kind of scale as Ron Clark has done.

If you haven't seen this movie, it is definitely a must see!!!

This movie pulls on you heart.

Author: LuvLeighAn (LuvLeighAn@hotmail.com) from Hollywood
14 August 2006

This movie pulls on you heart. It's a true to life story, but sadly, these events still live on. The bravery of this one teacher that changed his life so he could make a difference. Some scenes are predictable, and there are still many scenes you just love them. Matthew Perry doses a terrific job connecting with his character and the other students. You can see the emotions on his face as he acts them out, something actors lack these days. If you have not seen this movie, you should. If you like, movies like "Lean on Me", or other school movies where the kids no one likes or wants makes it out on top then you should love this move.

Ron Clark is Awesome!

Author: EStevenson01 from United States
14 August 2006

This movie was fantastic! Matthew Perry is a great dramatic actor. This is a movie that will leave you feeling inspired, I know I was! I had been waiting to see this movie since January, it was well worth the wait! I would recommend this TV movie for anyone to see. The chemistry between him and his students was touching. You could see where there was a lot of time put into making this movie.

I have been following Matthew's career for along time now. This movie is one of his best works. He is more than a comedic actor, and this movie proves that!

I really hope that this movie is released on DVD because it is movie that I would love to have in my collection!

Only one downfall.. Wished it could have been longer!

Inspirational, true story, suited for both adults and kids

Author: bamacharm from United States
14 August 2006

I am no theatrical pun dent so this review is strictly from a laymen's perspective. If you like films that are inspiring, you'll love this movie. Like the 2006 release, "Akeelah and the Bee" starring Laurence Fishburne, this film is full of valuable life changing lessons and is motivational for kids as well as adults. I found it highly enjoyable and moving.

It is based on the true story of Ron Clark who was selected Disney's American Teacher of the Year in 2000. Clark moved from rural North Carolina to New York City during the 90s in pursuit of his teaching profession. He landed a job teaching a 5th grade class in a Harlem elementary school. The class was totally undisciplined and unconcerned about education. Before Ron's arrival, six other teachers had tried teaching the class during that very same school year but simply gave up in despair. The students are primarily from a disadvantaged background and were living out the low expectations that everyone had for them including their own perception that they were destined for failure.

Clark began by instilling much needed order and discipline into the classroom using rules that he calls "The Essential 55", which were subsequently published in his New York Time's bestseller, is distributed to over 25 countries and is in its 11th printing. However, this film does not concentrate on discipline but in a teacher believing in the worth of every human being and finding ways to convince even the lowest performing students of their own potential. Most would not have endured the frustration and initial defeat that Clark endured and would have simply given up on these kids, leaving them to continue unabated down a pathway of personal tragedy. Ron fights his own self doubt along the way as he teaches the students to believe in themselves, to set high goals, and guides them to recognizing their hidden potential. In the end, you are compelled to applaud the students for the miracle that has been wrought in their lives and are filled with admiration for what this man was able to accomplish in the worst of circumstances.

I have an untrained eye but I thought that Mathew Perry's performance was excellent. The young actors also gave great performances including Hannah Hodson as Shameika, Brandon Smith as Tayshawn and Micah Williams as Julio among others. I highly recommend this picture! Ron has appeared on the NBC Today Show and was a guest on Oprah. I found his web site and the link is as follows:

Excellent Job

Author: fmarsters from United States
14 August 2006

There is not much to say except as I voted it was EXCELLENT. Matthew Perry did a super great job playing this part also. 6th grade can be one of the toughest grades too. It was the BEST movie I have watched in ages. Loved it all! It was a wholesome movie with out all the junk that usually accompanies movies now a days. I hope Matthew Perry continues to pursue movies of this type. He must have really really enjoyed working with the teens. They were all so real acting. And the movie was made up of DREAMS. Something so many kids need to learn. Not just the learning of math etc. I have not read the real story behind this movie but I am trying to find it to read about this amazing teacher. There needs to be more like him. My philosophy in life has always been to the kids, NEVER give up! I wish I could go work at Mr. Clark's academy. God Bless! Gina Marsters

Great "Feel Good" Movie!

Author: Kim0750 from United States
13 August 2006

I watched this movie knowing what I was in for - a great performance by Matthew Perry and a motivating, inspirational story! I totally believed in his character and his love of teaching! The fabulous performances of the students were an added bonus - Well done! My 4th grade daughter watched with me & was horrified to learn about the discrimination that exists within the school system. Her comment was, "But, kids CAN learn Mom!" Indeed!!!! They can!!!!

The scene where Mr. Clark has the kids light the candles on the cake and tells them that he wants them to know how it feels to fly is good therapy for all viewers,young and old. A great reminder to not give up on our dreams & encourage the young to Dream Big.

Hopefully more great teachers in the making will watch this and see how valuable they are. We are so blessed to have you in our communities!

Page 2 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]