IMDb > The Ron Clark Story (2006) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

A good time

Author: rome_laurano from United States
14 August 2006

I am not a movie or TV critic, and I won't pretend to be. I will say that as just a normal person without any special credentials, I absolutely love this movie. It gives you this great feeling when you watch it, and I was shocked by Matthew Perry's performance. Having before only thought of him as the "Friends" guy his new personality took me completely by surprise. Overall, I thought that as a TV movie it is very much worth the time spent watching it. I had a great time and I'm sure that you will too.

The storyline is well developed and while there are a few unrealistic points, I think that it's very good. The children were portrayed very realistically, as were the challenges of teaching such a group. Knowing that it was a true story only heightened my enjoyment of the entire movie.

Because of the above said reasons I gave this a ten out ten. The movie isn't very action filled, and there isn't much romance, but I think that it's one of the best movies that I have seen in quite a long time.

I hope you will take this review seriously when choosing whether to watch this movie.

Thank you.

A true story that reminds us to keep on dreaming

Author: Santana Black from U.S. Virgin Islands
13 August 2006

I love Mathew Perry and i think he does a great job as chandler in friends, problem is he gets type cast most of the time as that character. and so it was nice to see him play a more serious role.

you see to really appreciate this movie you have to understand where it comes from, i lived in Harlem. i grew up and went to one of those schools. in fact, that class was GOOD compared to mines. we used to throw desks out the balcony and through cubes at the teachers. and that game they played "bet how long before the teacher quites" we played that! we grew up not knowing about chances, scholarships, opportunities all of that was unchartered territory for us we didn't know what it was.

until one man came along, he was a history teacher names Mr. Peterson, funny thing, he looked and acted a lot like the teacher in this movie. and to make a long story short, he helped us to "learn, to love to learn" when you walked in that class room you could here a pin drop. i love history now, i love this movie now because it's real, these things happen, and i hope this movie inspires more people to want to become good teachers. watch the movie

A great performance for Matthew Perry.

Author: astros022 from North Carolina, United States
13 August 2006

I have to say that I had seen the previews for this movie for about a week and couldn't wait to see it. After seeing it I was Amazed at the whole story. Matthew Perry has been a favorite actor of mine for a long time, I was absolutely blown away at his portrayal of Ron Clark, I have always considered Matthew Perry to be a very talented actor but this role was and probably will be the greatest performance of his career. I have to say that the story line is one that we hear about everyday, but when you actually see it brought to light it doesn't hit you. I like that they didn't delve into every little detail, they hit the major parts instead of dragging every detail of his life into this film. I also like that they show you how hard that he had to work to get these kids to open up to him and the parents also. They showed the good and the bad.I like that he wasn't just into it for the test scores, he is in it for the students and their future. If we had more teachers like him in our school systems we would be so much better off. I hope that they release it on DVD because it is a movie that everyone should have in their collection at home.I thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone and everyone.

Good movie with an excellent Matthew Perry

Author: linusnilsson_86 from Sweden
22 January 2006

I saw this movie when it broad casted in the Swedish channel 5. I didn't know what to expect but, as a fan of friends that I am, i chose to look at it even though i missed the beginning.

The movie is about Ron Clark casted by Matthew Perry who took on a class in Brooklyn NY. In the beginning the kids had a pretty hard time accepting Mr. Clark and did all kind of annoying things just to break him, but after a while they accepted him one by one and they all started to love him instead of hating him, and they also learned how to like school and like to learn something instead of hating it.

I have plans to be a future teacher one day, and I can just say that this movie made me want to be a teacher even more, to see the joy in the kids eyes when they like how you teach them in all kind of different ways just makes me happy.

I can really recommend this movie, it's fun, it's sad and it's just overall a great movie

please excuse my bad English, I'm from Sweden so ;)

// Linus

Matthew Perrys FINEST performance Ever!!

Author: mandar_cyberfun from India
17 November 2006

What an incredible movie!!! I happened to catch it on HBO about a month back and i am still reeling under its influence!!I so much liked the movie..that i got it TV'od and watch it almost alternate days whenever i have time!! I never knew that Matthew Perry was SO capable of acting with finesse. He's brings the character of RON CLARK alive so much...that actually u start wishing for a teacher like him to teach you, well at least i did. The kids especially the kid who played TayShawn have performed brilliantly, but of course Matt Perry takes the cake. I'll be terribly disappointed if Matthew Doest get an Oscar nomination/ award for this, its his time to shine!! My only wish is to meet Sir perry and Sir Ron CLark himself before i die....God bless Matthew and Ron, hope they have great success in their RON CLARK ACADEMY, and if i ever come to USA, I'll make sure I see their academy in Atlanta. Well what r u guys waiting for, grab a DVD and watch it, there's LOTS to learn from it!!!

A touching, heartfelt movie.. and Matthew Perry gives an honest performance

Author: acoustic8y3 from United States
14 August 2006

Not often these days do we get earnest films that are more than a formula (Glory Road comes to mind). The Ron Clark Story didn't reinvent the wheel, yet this made-for-TV movie was full of heart and positiveness. Matthew Perry managed to find a brilliant ballance between the pressure of being a teacher in a tough, intense neighborhood, with all the serious outcomes, and the joy and excitement of bringing a clever new teaching style to help the kids swallow the often-dry materials of history, math, etc.

I recommend this film not because it's in anyway ground-breaking, but simply because it has innocence that are hardly found in today's big budget films.

Sweet.

Author: Micke Karlsson (ralph_2ndedition@hotmail.com) from Sweden
20 June 2006

I've been a fan of Mattew Perrys ever since Friends first aired on TV, and I make it a point to try and see any movie he makes. However, it's sometimes a bit...what's the word...sad (I guess) to see him play "Chandler" over and over again. As much as I like that character, it would be fun to see him play something else. That's that.

As for The Ron Clarke Story, with Perry as Ron Clarke, there are certain Chandler-qualities about Clarke. But more in terms of body-language than anything else - and I guess that would be Perry himself "shining through". For the most part it's a standalone part for Perry, a good long step away from "Chandler Bing". It's a really sweet story about a substitute teacher who goes through hell and back for his students (consisting of worst-case-scenario kids). It's an inspiring story, and you really wish it would always be that "easy" to get kids out of trouble and onto the right path.

Perry is good, he almost always is, and the kids are actually believable. True, sometimes you wish Clarke would just give the snotnose kids a "feel of the back of his hand" - but I guess that would be the easiest (and most faulty) way to go.

The Ron Clarke Story is a feelgood-film, and it does just that. It makes you feel good.

In addition: Any film that makes schoolteaching look like fun deserves a whole heap of credit.

There are still opportunities to be a super teacher...and the best student.

Author: telonius from Atlanta
13 June 2006

This is a must see movie. Everyone should see this movie. Very inspiring. TNT will broadcast on August 13 at 8pm. Mathew Perry does a great job of portraying Ron Clark. Although, the real Clark, which I got to meet at the Atlanta film festival is more alive and enthusiastic than the one from the movie. Still, Mathew Perry give a very simpatico character to follow the whole story.

The kids are brilliant. There are a few strong visual moments but well done for a TV movie. Beside, it did happen. It is good to show what is really happening in the real world and the opportunities that all kids have no matter what their backgrounds are.

Every single kids has the same opportunities. All kids have different potential. Just need to encourage him/her to bring it about and use it.

Congrats to Ron Clark for all his work. He has a book call "The essential 55" that can help teachers and soon to be teachers. Also to TNT for bringing good quality and inspiring television content.

I hope you get to watch it and comment on it. Spread the word. Spread the teaching. Get connected with kids. They will thank you.

May the spirits of these kids guide you to a better future and Clark to a better teacher.

Good luck.

The Ron Clark Story

Author: HalfpintTP from United States
13 August 2006

I felt like The Ron Clark Story gives its audience hope for a better tomorrow, if we would only step out on faith. Mr. Perry does a great job telling the story of Ron Clark and his relationship with the students. Mr. Hudson gives the audience a honest view of how so many of us tend to give up when we feel beat down by the system, but Perry is the angel that saves not only the kids in his class but the parents, as well. Every child should be required to watch this movie for inspiration and hope for better tomorrows. Bravo to the network, writers, producers and actors in this movie! Thanks for inspiring me and my family to step out on faith and help others who may seem to have given up.

Exceptional

Author: earbyc from United Kingdom
13 January 2011

This was a very pleasant surprise for me over the Christmas break even at the time it was screened at 06.00 am, lucky I got up early! Rarely am I so taken with a film such as this, but obviously the story line really got me, as did the excellent acting by all the cast, the kids were just great, and utterly convincing.

I was also pleased to discover the film was based on fact, and I was pleased that these rebel children went on to greater things, would not the world be a much better place if there were More Mr Clark's around? Not just in teaching but in all walks of life, especially in politics and industry.

Honesty is in very short supply these days, now I am rambling so will pack in, surely my ten lines are complete?

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]