IMDb > "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings
Page 7 of 17: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

A Brilliant Show

Author: fireflame94 from New Zealand
19 October 2009

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is a show that may not appeal to everyone, due to it's use of crude humor. It is however,to those who are not easily offended, just brilliant. The show centers around five people in Philadelphia who own a bar and get themselves into sticky situations as a result of their personalities.

The show is funny as it is primarily character-driven, with the characters who are each extremely obnoxious, rude and self-centered in their own way. The characters instantly frustrate and annoy anyone who comes near them, as well as trying to manipulate each other to do things for their own selfish purposes.

These interactions with other people are often the funniest part of the show. When people are around them they find themselves essentially shut out of the conversation, as though the cast is in a different dimension, and end up extremely frustrated by the situation they have found themselves in. The dialogue is also extremely good, focusing on the relatively mundane and the crazy simultaneously. My reference to that would be the "power bottom" scene where they discuss the positions in a homosexual relationship.

The comparison of It's always sunny to another good comedy Seinfeld is apt but It's Always Sunny edges out the juggernaut of comedy on it's characters, as Seinfeld's characters are always at least a little bit likable. You at no stage should find It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's characters likable as they have no shred of human decency. And that is what is quintessentially at the heart of this show and produces the comedy, which was also the case for Seinfeld.

It's Always Sunny is one of the great comedies, but not for the easily offended.

Why does this show have no Emmys?

Author: Chadman321 from United States
2 February 2009

It has brilliant writing, a hilarious cast and always funny episodes. But it seems like through all the good things about the show, it has nominations for the many things that make this show so great. To anyone who has never seen this show, it's all about 5 people- Frank(Danny Devito), Mac(Rob McElhenney), Dennis(Glenn Howerton), Dee(Kaitlin Olson) and my favorite (no offense to the others) Charlie(Charlie Day). They own a bar in South Philly called Paddy's Pub, and they all have their adventures through their everyday lives. As simple as it sounds, it's so much more. They took a little idea and made a masterpiece. It's like have only a yarn of string and a needle and make something worth a million dollars. That's very hard to do it seems now-a-days. For those that haven't seen it, watch it. I love this show. Thank the lord for this show.

Like wine in a can, this show has actually gotten better over time

Author: Rand Al' Thor from United States
16 November 2012

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is by far one of the best and most creative comedy shows currently on television. The cast is a Seinfeld-esque group of great comedians, and seasons 7 and 8 (the current one) have been the funniest in the series. Danny Devito brings a hilarious character to the table, and Charlie Day is starting to become big television/movie star. Rob McElhenny is the creator of the show, and has proved he is willing to go to EXTREME lengths in order provide a show fans can always count on for laughs (he gained about 50 or 60 pounds before season 7 to add some different jokes for his character). Siblings Dennis (Glenn Howerton) and Dee (Kaitlin Olson) round out the well matched cast, and the show is expected to last for at least another 2-3 seasons.

Season 7 so far has been a disappointment

Author: MindGem from Sweden
28 October 2011

This is one of my favorite TV series but the last season has not been great. First of all, why is there blood in every episode, I don't get it? Second of all, it follows all of the steps toward cancellation. When a series lose audience they try to put in new elements in hope to raise interest again so now they're doing stories about Franks brother..boring.

Just do the regular routine, that's still the best. We want more of the 5, less fake blood and much less new characters. I know I speak from the world.

How about mixing stories like The South Park, you take 2 odd events and mix them like make a story about poo and a classic mystery. Oh yea, you did that one, but something like that.

One of the best shows on television.

Author: Sirus_the_Virus from United States
25 November 2009

It's always sunny in Philadelphia is one of the best shows on television. A lot of the shows on TV are good. But there are some that are bad. This show is far from it. It's so crazy and insanely funny... I can't describe it to you.

There are many likable characters on the show. My favorite is played by an Olsen sister. An Olsen sister who nobody knows about. They should know about her, because she's great. Also, Danny Devito's character is very funny.

The show is actually pretty insane at many times. There are people getting stabbed, in The Christmas special, I think one of the characters bites someone. It's crazy. My favorite show on television is Curb your enthusiasm with Larry David, and that show is rated R too. Those shows are better. The R rated ones. This is one of them. and this is one of the better shows on television today.

"wake up my brown friend its time to change your life"

Author: husky1076 from United States
30 November 2008

OK, this will be my first and only review on this site. Why? because this show is way to important to not comment on.

In 1998 arguably the greatest show to ever grace our fine TV's went off the air. It felt like the death of a close friend, I was lost and felt empty inside.

fast forward to 2008 and I finally took a look at sunny side in philly. Being from philly and recommended by glen mac (only philly sports fans would understand who he is) I sat down one fine evening with a nice beer and decided to watch a show.

OK, it is exactly what people say. this show is Seinfeld on crack, Mescaline, and speed wrapped up into a nice little party pack. mos extremos! same idea as seinfeld, a "gang" of self centered friends who own a crappy philly irish bar enjoy life in their own moronic way. The show is fantastic in every way I can think of. It's the dirty secret in the back of your mind on how you wish to live. Crack addiction, glue huffing, scamming, hot hot girl, strippers, bumms pleasuring themselves, egotistic rants, sleeping with friends moms, and moral leasons are all part of the best show on TV today!! just check it out, give it more than 5 minutes of your time and you will not be disappointed.

Best Comedy Show Ever

Author: James
23 February 2010

In my opinion of course, this is the best comedy television show I have ever seen. I never seem to like TV shows, other than Dexter. But this, this is something I haven't seen before. A good comedy show.

The characters, Dennis, Dee, Mac and Charlie are all one of a kind, hilarious every episode, hilarious towards each other. They all seem to treat each other like crap, but in the end, are still 4 friends who own Paddy's. Danny DeVito came on to the show as Frank, and I thought he was a great add. He is very funny in this, and has his moments of amazing. With all five of these characters, it makes the show great and unique.

This show is not one you usually see, where everyone is cheesy, corny, and has the added in clapping in the background after each joke. This show, you actually laugh while you watch it, and don't have to be told when a joke is said since there is no clapping. If you want to see a good comedy, this is it. I thought for a while Two and A Half Men was hilarious, but then it just kept getting repetitive and boring. Then I discovered this, and was immediately hooked. It's like crack. Every episode is different, and they are all hilarious, and there hasn't been a bad episode yet!

It's Good. It's Always Good

Author: wzevonfan from United States
7 August 2009

This is one of a few shows that I have watched since it's conception, which was 3 or 4 years ago...I can't quite remember; this fact attests to it's (IASIP's) quality and hilarity. For those of you who have watched It's Always Sunny from the beginning, you will remember the original tag line for the show, "Seinfeld on Crack," ; a spot-on description of this crude yet brilliant series. It fits that description in two key respects; every character in the show is a selfish low- life, (thus the term Seinfeld) and the setting and lifestyle of the characters is an urban, dingy, filthy one, filled with glue-huffing, cat food consumption, beer drinking, anonymous sex.. etc. (thus the term crack). But I hope this seemingly disgusting and crass description of the show does not eschew you from watching it. Quite on the contrary, I hope it encourages you to watch it, because it is funny. Well written and well acted, I never get tired of hearing the five main characters, each one of them victims of a major character flaw, attempt to find their way through conflict and success, and fail every time. Just watch one episode, preferably an early 2nd season one, and I promise you, you will be hooked. Charlie, Mac, Dee, Dennis, and Frank never fail to make whatever they are going through into some ridiculous circumstance that exudes comedy.

It's Wicked, It's Wild and It's Always Sunny

Author: jakespick from United States
9 July 2008

This show is the definition of brilliance. From the very first episode to the latest, this show doesn't get lose its hilarity like some shows. In fact, this show keeps getting better and better! One of the main key reasons i enjoy "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia" is the fact that it has pure comedic entertainment 100% of the way through, from the beginning of the episode to the end. And every episode has an extremely original and vastly refreshing comedic situation that gives you a feel of why this show's title - "It's Always SUNNY..." - is so brilliant. A few more key reasons are: 1 - it doesn't hold back; 2 - doesn't have any sort of drama whatsoever; 3 - it's unpredictable; 4 - the characters are lovable and so easy to relate to in a weird and psychotic sort of way; 5 - most importantly, IT GETS AS FUNNY AS IT COULD GET!!!!!!

The latest and the greatest

Author: paulr-27 from Canada
8 October 2006

This show is genius.

Three guys talking in a bar would normally be a premise so simple and juvenile that I'd avoid any new attempt to freshen the box.

The cast and crew in this case have combined sharp writing within an effort-free format. It feels wrong admitting the style of the show seems borrowed. Coming from the school of shaking-camera, improv-sounding scenarios, the show stands up well throughout. The humor is dirty, and even with a female in the ensemble it is generally a rugged, graphic ride.

Give this show a chance and the jokes will have you laughing for days. Seinfeld wasn't this funny when it started, and I imagine there's plenty of tasteless subjects that have yet to be bitten into.

It would be a shame to lose this show. Each show is smart, entertaining, and funny. Kudos to the creators for tackling subjects that network dreck like "The War at Home" can't touch. Keep it up.